Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
reddarin

"No one would pursue a woe that ended in diabetes if they knew that was what was happening to them. . . ."

This is not true. Many people are warned by their doctors that their WOE has them at the brink of diabetes--and some of them don't even change their diets after developing diabetes. Most doctors will tell you that they find that suggesting 'lifestyle changes' to their patients has been fruitless.

I have a relative who developed gestational diabetes during her first pregnancy, and was put on a low-carb diet by her doctor. She felt great eating low carb, but once the baby was born, she went back to her former SAD diet, despite the fact that her OB told her that she would surely develop Type 2 within 5 years if she didn't stick to low carb eating. She developed Type2.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #32
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Greta-

CCL stands for Critical Carbohydrate Level and is Dr. Atkins' term for the maximum level of carbs that a person can tolerate before the insulin response is so great that appetite returns full force and gaining weight becomes inevitable.

The point of the 'carb ladder' is to very gradually increase carbs (with specific foods at each level) until a person becomes aware that he/she has exceeded his/her CCL. At that point, the person returns to the 'lower rung' of the ladder.

My own CCL is exceptionally low (25-30g), but many people can easily tolerate much, much more.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
My hypertension episode was a number of years ago and was absolutely related to stress.
When the stressful time ended my bp went down to acceptable levels.
I get my bp checked at least every 3 mongths when I get my bloodwork done and it's usually very good i.e. 120/80 or lower. Not bad for a 63 year old who smoked for nearly 35 years.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
... Moreoever, it's not the concept of the 'carb ladder,' but the people who implement it that's the problem you're describing. The idea is to find the level of carbs that you tolerate and that doesn't stimulate your appetite (thus leading to overeating). If people just keep adding carbs without regard for how their bodies respond, then they can easily go beyond their CCL.
I think the main problem with the carb ladder is most evident in a quote from the Atkins website:

Quote:
Donít make the mistake of staying in Induction too long just because you love how the pounds are peeling off. Itís important to move through the phases to ensure that you've cured yourself of your old habits and can reintroduce foods without halting your weight loss or provoking cravings. Losing weight fast is exhilarating, but it will likely be a temporary fix if you donít find a sustainable way of eating that works for you. Deliberately slowing your rate of weight loss as you approach your goal will make it easier to make those lost pounds history. You neednít worry about any health risks of staying in Induction, but you do need to work on moving up the Carb Ladder so you can find your tolerance for carbs, whether itís 30, 50, 60 or more grams a day.
Encouraging someone who has been significantly overweight for a long time (like their whole life) to start adding carbs after two weeks is a recipe for disaster. Severe metabolic derangement is not corrected in two weeks and probably not in two years. People who need to lose 20 lbs that they gained last winter are very different from people who need to lose 200 lbs that they started putting on in childhood. The carb ladder is appropriate for the former, but not the latter. For the latter group, a few days of upping the carbs can easily lead to a few months of binging.

Of course, the quoted advice is from the same website that recommends Atkins bars and shakes twice a day.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
That diet looks like Atkins Induction to me. You would fit in on the Atkins Induction section of this forum.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
It seems pretty clear, as has been noted on this forum before, that the "Atkins revolution" has been co-opted by corporate interests.
It is perfectly consistant with their profit motive to encourage new subsribers to go 'up the carb ladder' because that puts the dieter in range of a multitude of their products.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
It seems pretty clear, as has been noted on this forum before, that the "Atkins revolution" has been co-opted by corporate interests.
It is perfectly consistant with their profit motive to encourage new subsribers to go 'up the carb ladder' because that puts the dieter in range of a multitude of their products.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: xamier
Stats: 125 5'2"tall
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 6/17/03
I would start by reading, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution DANDR It will give you a basic understanding of Ketogenic diets.

The trick is going to be learning a way of eating that can last a lifetime. If you go back to old ways once the weight is off, it will come back. DANDR outlines a systematic way of reintroducing foods. It isn't the only way to do a low carb diet but it is a good place to start while you research and find out what works best for you.
xamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Miche124
Stats: 192.5/183/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: October 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

In fact, Phinney and Volek directly state that adding carbs back is foolish, if I may paraphrase them, in their A&S of Living book.

So, Phinney does not endorse the 'carb ladder'. The carb ladder is more aptly named the failure ladder. Carb addicted people that climb it will fail. The few that are not very carb addicted will be fine. But if you are overweight and you've tried and failed countless times on the low fat high carb approach you are not likely to survive those tantalizing rungs on the ladder.
A week ago I still believed that my perma-diet for the last 3 decades (low-fat, high veggies, complex carbs) was someday going to start working for me, and that my lack of movement on the scale was due to a personal failure or not exercising enough. No one believed that I was in fact sticking to my diet at the expense of having no social life and living a solitary life of shame at 195 pounds. They didn't believe that I eat zero junk food, just look at me! I even went on a doctor-supervised liquid fast for 7 months, lost 30 pounds (the smallest loss in the entire class) and after keeping it off for a year while in treatment for breast cancer, it all came back.

It's become more urgent that I lose it now, because my sleep has become so disordered, it's life-threatening (and mind-threatening).

Reading Why We Get Fat this week blew my mind! Suddenly I understood why my fat around the middle resisted all my great efforts. I would assume, that being the "slowest loser in the class" in all my lifetime of weightloss efforts, would be a good indicator that I would benefit most from really, truly staying in the very low range of carbs until at least I reach my goal. As it is, I viewed Westman's video yesterday, and realized that I was still eating too much lettuce and allowed veggies. I realize that I may not actually reach a shift in fat metabolism for several weeks, but I'm in it for the longhaul, because it's the only hope I have left.

Is the Nutritional Ketosis thread consistent with the plan I'm on?

Last edited by Miche124; 10-17-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Miche124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Greta-

CCL stands for Critical Carbohydrate Level and is Dr. Atkins' term for the maximum level of carbs that a person can tolerate before the insulin response is so great that appetite returns full force and gaining weight becomes inevitable.
Thanks! I had a feeling it was a term coined by Dr. Atkins. As strange as this sounds for a low-carb fan, I've never actually read any of Dr. Atkins's books. I've read many other LC books, just not his. So thank you for taking the time to educate me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
My hypertension episode was a number of years ago and was absolutely related to stress.
When the stressful time ended my bp went down to acceptable levels.
I get my bp checked at least every 3 mongths when I get my bloodwork done and it's usually very good i.e. 120/80 or lower. Not bad for a 63 year old who smoked for nearly 35 years.
Not bad at all! Wishing you continued good health,
G.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
That diet looks like Atkins Induction to me. You would fit in on the Atkins Induction section of this forum.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamier View Post
I would start by reading, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution DANDR It will give you a basic understanding of Ketogenic diets.

The trick is going to be learning a way of eating that can last a lifetime. If you go back to old ways once the weight is off, it will come back. DANDR outlines a systematic way of reintroducing foods. It isn't the only way to do a low carb diet but it is a good place to start while you research and find out what works best for you.
I'll download it now, thanks. While Why We Get Fat is persuasive, it really requires subsequent research to find the right practical approach.

Last edited by Miche124; 10-17-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I think the nutritional ketosis thread is a great place to start. I have a very damaged system as it sounds like you do and have over the years come closer and closer to a NK type plan on my own. The last time I read on these boards was about 18 months ago and only the real crazies were doing anything as extreme. I had given up all veggies and ate nothing but pork (mostly bacon), hamburger and two slices of cheddar per day. There were other people doing similar but nobody authoritative talking about it. But things have really come along lately! You're lucky to be jumping in now. For years I thought the reason I couldn't lose was that I was eating too much fat, so I'd add veggies which was absolutely wrong.

I'm starting again now after having fallen off the wagon for a while. My plan is to start w NK without limiting calories. (It looks like a lot of people do limit cals but I feel like I'll be more likely to stick w it if I'm not feeling too deprived. I also think I tend to eat less if I'm doing high fat.)

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I think the nutritional ketosis thread is a great place to start. I have a very damaged system as it sounds like you do and have over the years come closer and closer to a NK type plan on my own. The last time I read on these boards was about 18 months ago and only the real crazies were doing anything as extreme. I had given up all veggies and ate nothing but pork (mostly bacon), hamburger and two slices of cheddar per day. There were other people doing similar but nobody authoritative talking about it. But things have really come along lately! You're lucky to be jumping in now. For years I thought the reason I couldn't lose was that I was eating too much fat, so I'd add veggies which was absolutely wrong.

I'm starting again now after having fallen off the wagon for a while. My plan is to start w NK without limiting calories. (It looks like a lot of people do limit cals but I feel like I'll be more likely to stick w it if I'm not feeling too deprived. I also think I tend to eat less if I'm doing high fat.)
Can you briefly explain the difference between Nutritional Ketosis vs. Atkins Induction? As far as jumping in now, I'm 57 and remember The Drinking Man's Diet and the first Atkins, which I did, then spent decades unlearning that. It comes full-circle.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Just wanted you to know that's the plan I'm on, too. I didn't know anything about low-carb until I read that book, and I jumped in the next day with just those few pages. After that I read a few other low-carb books, but I haven't been able to successfully move up the carb ladder. Yogurt and nuts both set me to binging. I have 1/4 cup fruit occasionally, but that's it. Good luck!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
Just wanted you to know that's the plan I'm on, too. I didn't know anything about low-carb until I read that book, and I jumped in the next day with just those few pages. After that I read a few other low-carb books, but I haven't been able to successfully move up the carb ladder. Yogurt and nuts both set me to binging. I have 1/4 cup fruit occasionally, but that's it. Good luck!
Thanks for letting me know. Let's stay in touch. Good luck to you too!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
Can you briefly explain the difference between Nutritional Ketosis vs. Atkins Induction? As far as jumping in now, I'm 57 and remember The Drinking Man's Diet and the first Atkins, which I did, then spent decades unlearning that. It comes full-circle.
I'm no expert, still waiting on the book from amazon but I think they are compatible. Atkins allows unlimited protein, though, and for NK I think you're aiming to hit your daily protein requirement without going over. I'm not sure if that makes your ketosis deeper or just more certain or what. But the problem w too much protein is that the excess is just turned into glucose by your body and can knock you out of ketosis. Since you're eating less protein and very low carb, you make up the difference by eating a ton of fat.

So if you're doing NK, that would satisfy Atkins' induction, but most people would eat more protein on induction than NK allows for.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
reddarin

"No one would pursue a woe that ended in diabetes if they knew that was what was happening to them. . . ."

This is not true. Many people are warned by their doctors that their WOE has them at the brink of diabetes--and some of them don't even change their diets after developing diabetes. Most doctors will tell you that they find that suggesting 'lifestyle changes' to their patients has been fruitless.

I have a relative who developed gestational diabetes during her first pregnancy, and was put on a low-carb diet by her doctor. She felt great eating low carb, but once the baby was born, she went back to her former SAD diet, despite the fact that her OB told her that she would surely develop Type 2 within 5 years if she didn't stick to low carb eating. She developed Type2.
That is true and I agree people do damaging things to themselves with stunning consistency.

So there are two things in motion here:

1. The 'harm' is not real to the person. Abstract danger is easy to ignore. For example, people drive like idiots all the time all over the world. The harm of a fatal car accident is abstract enough, in the first person, to engage in the perilous activity despite the very real danger.

2. Addiction. For our discussion that is specifically about carb addiction. But it applies across the spectrum of bad activities. Candy tastes good. A little bit won't hurt. And so on and so forth.

Bringing that back to my former statement and position that people don't engage in harmful behavior on purpose - the danger can't be too abstract for the person and the 'thing' (carbs or whatever) can't be too addictive for a person to not do it when they know it is risky.

I'd also point out that the anecdotal evidence you provide is interesting for other reasons.

Doctors are telling this person to make a pretty dramatic dietary shift. If that person isn't in direct pain, and therefore the danger is abstract, the incentive to make the change is also abstract. This person also faces what all of us face - resistance to our change by family, friends, co-workers and the rest of the world.

*And* the doc ignores some pretty basic behavioral stuff too. I mean, giving a list of acceptable foods and a quick pep talk on eating healthy does not really address how to adopt that new dietary guideline. So the person is at the mercy of their own resources, quick thinking and environment to implement the doctor's suggestions/orders.

If that person is pro-active, like we are, and joins a forum for people like themselves and takes charge of their situation they will succeed more often than not. Until external events derail them.

"She felt great eating low carb, but once the baby was born, she went back to her former SAD diet, despite the fact that her OB"

Healthy whole grains is plastered everywhere. The entire world is against LC it seems sometimes. This is a pretty good example of how the carb ladder results in failure I think. The conversation goes like this:

Her: 'No carbs?!? None?!?'
OB: 'Well, you can have some veggies and fruits, here is a list'
Her: 'What about x?!?'
OB: 'Well, no that is not really good. You can have Y instead'
Her: 'But half a serving of X is the same as a full serving of Y, is that okay?'
OB: 'Maybe once in a while... but you ...'
Her: 'Thanks doc!'

And off she goes thinking that it is serving size and portion control because *that* is the drumbeat from the mainstream and in our carby world a life without carbs is very hard to fathom.

Anyway, great counterpoint about people knowingly engaging in stupidity at their own peril.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miche124 View Post
Is the Nutritional Ketosis thread consistent with the plan I'm on?
Hmmmm.

NK is more of a framework than an actual plan per se.

So, you need to read the intro posts to both threads and compare what is described to how you are approaching your woe and decide from there.

Broadly speaking, nutritional ketosis is moderate protein, high fat, low carbs so in general I'd say yes it works with what you are doing but I am not well informed on the woe you are using.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #49
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I'm no expert, still waiting on the book from amazon but I think they are compatible. Atkins allows unlimited protein, though, and for NK I think you're aiming to hit your daily protein requirement without going over. I'm not sure if that makes your ketosis deeper or just more certain or what. But the problem w too much protein is that the excess is just turned into glucose by your body and can knock you out of ketosis. Since you're eating less protein and very low carb, you make up the difference by eating a ton of fat.

So if you're doing NK, that would satisfy Atkins' induction, but most people would eat more protein on induction than NK allows for.
Atkins allows you to eat liberally of meats, but it is not unlimited protein. Atkins also allows you to eat liberally of healthy fats. The idea is that you are not required to count calories, but the plan itself should not be high protein.

I'm sad that Atkins did not do a percentage range for his plan because people will over eat of lean proteins meats and little fat and wonder why they end up hungry, or nauseated and not losing.

When reducing carbs in the diet those calories should be replaced primarily with fat, the OTHER fuel, not protein. A person could end up eating not much more protein than in their regular diet by switching to fattyier cuts of meats and increasing increasing fats .
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Oops! I didn't remember a protein limit. It has been a long time since I read the book. I'm curious what the limit is.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #51

it's not a hard limit, you just eat until you are full and then stop eating.
You eat liberally of fatty meats, and healthy fats.

The thing is, physiologically speaking, Fat is a better and easier source of FUEL than protein. Both Fats and carbs are made of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen, and both can be used easily as fuel. Protein can also be used as fuel but it also has nitrogen and other elements that need to be eliminated making it more troublesome for the body to make enough fuel without having refuse issues.

in other words, you would be better to eat a marbled ribeye steak with a ring of fat with some herb butter and get full and satisfied from all the extra fat, than to eat multiple slices of 99% lean ham and not feel satisfied till your belly was full but then get hungry again later because you didn't eat much fat.

Besides that, Fat is more satiating than protein, and even though it has more calories it takes less volume of fat to feel full and satisfied for hours.

That's why the Old Dr. Atkins books encourage the eating of fatty condiments like hallandaise, and egg based dressing, and such, because people are so afraid of fat that they forget that fat is THE fuel and mistakenly turn to high protein instead of higher fat.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

I'm a giant sponge for information right now, and am so enjoying this conversation! I'm on Day Six, in ketosis, and trying to stay under 20 mg. carbs. Honestly, for a former vegetarian of 20+ years, and as one who rarely ate fats, especially saturated fats or oh-my-god-bacon, this is a massive switch for me and my brain. I'm not dropping pounds yet, but I'm definitely not in Kansas anymore!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #53

Oh my Miche, what a transition! Did you jump right in or did you have a change over period?

It's hard to look for fats when it's so easy to over look them. At one time I had a list just to make sure I didn't forget. Fatty fruits and veggies like avocado, coconut meat, and olives are just decoration or extras. Nuts are fatty but also starchy and easy to over do. Dairy is a great go to if you keep an eye on the carbs and protein. I like Kefir a lot more than plain milk and use kefir, coconut and almond beverages in milks place for shakes. Fruit and seed oils : coconut oil, sesame seed oil, grapeseed, macadamia nut, olive, peanut, almond butter, macadamia nut butter.

Plain ol' butter! LOL

And looking for the fattier meats over the lean ones, sometimes can save the wallet a few bills as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Oh my Miche, what a transition! Did you jump right in or did you have a change over period?
I've been eating small amounts of poultry and fish for the past couple of years, but otherwise jumping into the deep end.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: audrey
can i have milk in my coffee?
audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey View Post
can i have milk in my coffee?
Use HWC (heavy whipping cream) instead of milk.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Feelin'Great!
Thank you for this thread! I realize this started with a question about WWGF but because of the conversation about NK, I think I'm understanding what NK is all about. I just learned about NK yesterday (when I came crawling back to LCF for help) and am fervently reading up on it. I'm going to give it a go... need to make a list of "go to" fats to fill in after carbs and protein requirements have been met... can anyone link me (and others) to more info on good fats to fill in with? Do I just eat teaspoons of CO?

Great info and discussion here!

Last edited by Feelin'Great!; 03-17-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Feelin'Great! is offline   Reply With Quote