Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
The wheat belly blog has daily testimonials.
I find the information pretty redundant, but it is very inspiratonal,
and for that reason I refer to it pretty often.
And yes, "liking" wheat belly on facebook is a great way to stay tuned in
to the latest blog posts.
I'm a little concerned about this next week.
I'm going back to NY to visit my mom and stepdad. They are both old and very set in their eating habits. Not low carb by any means!
I spoke to mom about it, and will shop for, and prepare my own food. But ours being a large Italian family, the eating ritual is much cherished. I fear that there is some wheat in my future. (sigh)
I will be there a week, and will not let things get out of hand.
I'll be checking in routinely to see how y'all are doing and report things
as they arise.
Keep on keeping on!!!
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
The wheat belly blog has daily testimonials.
I find the information pretty redundant, but it is very inspiratonal,
and for that reason I refer to it pretty often.
And yes, "liking" wheat belly on facebook is a great way to stay tuned in
to the latest blog posts.
I'm a little concerned about this next week.
I'm going back to NY to visit my mom and stepdad. They are both old and very set in their eating habits. Not low carb by any means!
I spoke to mom about it, and will shop for, and prepare my own food. But ours being a large Italian family, the eating ritual is much cherished. I fear that there is some wheat in my future. (sigh)
I will be there a week, and will not let things get out of hand.
I'll be checking in routinely to see how y'all are doing and report things
as they arise.
Keep on keeping on!!!
Avid - Good luck on your eating on your trip home. I haven't had any wheat in a while, but still waiting for the energy to hit me. We may be going to a new place to eat this week and also have a brunch to go to Saturday which will have some wheat in the menu. So I know how you feel. I really dread getting even a small amount of wheat in my diet. We do what we can.
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #93
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I have been avoiding wheat and no significant changes in how I feel either, but also, no need to add it back in.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #94
Big Yapper!!!!

So, I got around to entering what I ate yesterday and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Calories a little over 1600, so a little high. Protein and carbs higher than my norm and fat a little lower, but wasn't a day I would say is bad. I felt better knowing this.

Pretty sure I am getting another UTI, will be the first time since starting this WOE, so I am a little surprised, but just early smptoms so far, will be ready to go to the Dr. if they start getting worse.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #95
Big Yapper!!!!

Magnesium, hmmmm? Ok, I started out on 50mg, didn't realize it was that low when I bought the bottle. Took for about a week until I got a bottle of 500mg and switched to that. Lately my stomach has hurt most of the time, not upset or running to the bathroom type of distress, just a hurting in my stomach, like I would think an ulcer might feel. Ginger tabs help but only temporarily. Yesterday I mulled over what it could be and the only new thing was the taking of the 500mg mag. So, didn't take it last night and so far today it is better, still feels kind of raw inside but no hurting like it has been. Will give it another day or two to determine if that is what it was. Then, if so, will go back and start again at 50mg and work up very very slowly. I hope that is what it is, otherwise I am really stumped and can't think what else it might be. I just know that last week I did not feel good all week long.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #96
Big Yapper!!!!

The 2 last posts of mine were meant for another thread, so sorry. I can't seem to delete them.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

HI Buffy,
sorry that your not feeling better. I am not wheat sensitive and so had no digestive issues around it's elimination. My big surprise was that my chronic knee pain vanished. It happened pretty quickly too. Symptoms started to ease in just a few days, and by a week or so ....gone!
I had some wheat the other day, not much, a little pasta and a very small slice of cake with no ill effects at all.
Funny about the posts, but not to worry, I read them with much interest!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by springalong View Post
Ok stupid question here for all you smarties - what else is wheat hidden in??? Its like "Wheres Waldo?" Wheres wheat???

Just wondering
Okay, I'll admit I haven't gotten to the last page of this thread yet, but I wanted to pop in with something that a lady told me yesterday before I forget this post. This woman has been doing the wheat belly diet and has a great doc in Arizona that is coaching her. She said that shredded cheese has wheat dusted on it to stop the shreds from sticking to each other. I haven't had a chance to check this out for myself, but that's what she said.

I know that wheat has to be in some places that I haven't figured out yet, because I can stay wheat-free (as far as I know) and all of a sudden start having allergic reactions that I had before I stopped eating wheat.
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay- I finished reading the rest of the posts. Here's where I am with my WOE: I started Atkins the first time in 2003 and lost 65 pounds. I gained it back plus some more when we moved to the island and had to live in our RV while building our new home for almost a year. No good excuses- just a small living space, little time for food prep and no decent stores nearby for shopping.

The last 6 years I have gone on and off low-carb... usually the reason for going off is lack of will power and not seeing the results when I'm on it. Also, there have been a lot of disruptive things in my life- a tree that came through our home, and the loss of a lot of close relatives in a short period of time. All are just excuses, but they were events that did complicate my efforts.

A friend told me about the Hallelujah Diet, and it made sense to me. I did feel a lot healthier while on it, but I wasn't losing weight and I was hungry a lot. Now another person has told me about her experiences with the Wheat Belly diet and the wonders it is doing in her life and in the lives of her family.

I sat down this morning and started making lists about what I know is true for MY body. I know I am allergic to wheat, and discovered that the first time I went on Atkins and took wheat out of my diet. I know that carbs make me crave more carbs. I know that I am usually not hungry between meals when I am doing low carb.

But I also know that my gut felt better when I was doing mostly raw vegan foods. I never felt bloated and my stomach felt better. I changed to organic whole foods and cut out any and all processed foods. But the higher carbs left me feeling hungry.

Why can't doctors agree on what is the healthiest diet? Why do some advocate low fat and cite studies that prove low fat is the only way, while others advocate low carb and cite studies that prove they are right? I can't even talk to my own doctor at any length because of the time restrictions put on appointments these days, and I have no idea what his opinions are on ANY diets. Also, I think that some docs are heavily influenced to go along with the SAD (Standard American Diet) because the clinics they work for tell them what they are supposed to say.

I KNOW there is an answer for me out there but I don't know how to find it. I'm going to do as much research as I can, make notes and keep track of results until I figure out just what it is I am supposed to be doing.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #100
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raini View Post
Okay, I'll admit I haven't gotten to the last page of this thread yet, but I wanted to pop in with something that a lady told me yesterday before I forget this post. This woman has been doing the wheat belly diet and has a great doc in Arizona that is coaching her. She said that shredded cheese has wheat dusted on it to stop the shreds from sticking to each other. I haven't had a chance to check this out for myself, but that's what she said.

I know that wheat has to be in some places that I haven't figured out yet, because I can stay wheat-free (as far as I know) and all of a sudden start having allergic reactions that I had before I stopped eating wheat.
Looks like that might be a problem at restaurants where they may dust their shredded cheeses with flour. From what I read just now, though, if it is a packaged cheese you are buying it must show the use of wheat on the label if it has been dusted like that.

Apparently packaged cheese that are dusted use 'powdered cellulose or something like tapioca starch' per one informed sounding anonymous person on a celiac site I found.

But that is a great tip for something to watch out for especially when eating out! Wow!
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Looks like that might be a problem at restaurants where they may dust their shredded cheeses with flour. From what I read just now, though, if it is a packaged cheese you are buying it must show the use of wheat on the label if it has been dusted like that.

Apparently packaged cheese that are dusted use 'powdered cellulose or something like tapioca starch' per one informed sounding anonymous person on a celiac site I found.

But that is a great tip for something to watch out for especially when eating out! Wow!
That's what I would have thought- maybe I should have asked my source where she got her information. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #102
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi Patty =)

You'll be blown away by the book

You can watch the authorized distribution of Fat Head for free on YouTube. Tom Naughton gets paid by the advertising revenue generated with this version:

His blog is very interesting too. Google 'Fat Head The Movie'.

Fat Head - YouTube
I watched part of this video...a long part, lol, and I see what he's getting at...eating at McDonalds and cutting carbs back to aroun 120 a day? And also debunking many myths about "healthy" eating, but to me it wasn't really eye-opening. Did I not watch long enough?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I watched part of this video...a long part, lol, and I see what he's getting at...eating at McDonalds and cutting carbs back to aroun 120 a day? And also debunking many myths about "healthy" eating, but to me it wasn't really eye-opening. Did I not watch long enough?
You watched it after you already knew the basics of LC, no? If you didn't know anything about LC wouldn't you consider it to be full of surprising information? Not just about LC but the faux-documentary Super Size Me?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #104
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Yes, that's true. I had forgotten how he addressed that particular documentary. That was eye-opening!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Why can't doctors agree on what is the healthiest diet? Why do some advocate low fat and cite studies that prove low fat is the only way, while others advocate low carb and cite studies that prove they are right?

Glad you raised this question, because I have often wondered about this.
I actually have a theory.
I believe that they are both right. You see, it occured to me that our anscestors were not mobile, at least not by todays standards, so they ate what was available to them.
In the arctic that would be blubber from sea lions, whales etc.
In the warmer climes in would be nuts, tubers, and some leaner animals.
So, my supposition is that it is DIVERSITY that is un healthy because it is un natural.
I often ponder things like this. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAayy too much time on my hands
Old 11-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Reality check.
I reviewed my earlier posts.
I must say that I do feel healthier not eating any wheat and maintaining an over all
lc woe, but my original sense of increased energy may have been just excitement over changing my lifestyle. I am absolutely not as sluggish as I was when eating alot of carbs, and knee pain is still absent, but I'm back to taking afternoon naps.
So while I do feel healthier. Much healthier, I can't say that eliminating wheat from my diet has significantly increased my energy levels.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/186/135 (5'7"- 57yrs)
Start Date: Sept.1st.2014 - 191lbs.
I have a question, not sure if anyone will know this but was wondering if one could drink beer? I mean low carb beer. DH and I like to watch football and have some beer.
Cali girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Why can't doctors agree on what is the healthiest diet? Why do some advocate low fat and cite studies that prove low fat is the only way, while others advocate low carb and cite studies that prove they are right?

I believe that they are both right. You see, it occured to me that our anscestors were not mobile, at least not by todays standards, so they ate what was available to them.
So, my supposition is that it is DIVERSITY that is un healthy because it is un natural.
Good point, avid. I KNOW low carb works for me. I KNOW low fat works for me (or at least it did years ago) but I'm always hungry on low fat and can't stay on the diet anymore. I also know that I feel a lot healthier on a raw vegan diet, and can lose weight on that.

What I can NOT do is mix medium to high fats with carby foods and the worst possible scenario I can think of (that I did once with disastrous results) is to have a juicy steak, a baked potato with bacon, sour cream and butter, broccoli with butter, and garlic toast. Not only will that cause record-breaking heart burn, but it caused a gall bladder attack that made me think I was dying. That was many years ago and I learned my lesson! I can have my steak, broccoli and butter. I cannot have a potato or bread with that kind of a meal. (Actually, I am allergic to wheat and I cannot have it at all any more.) I had to learn all this by trial and error because I've never had a doctor that cared enough to run any tests or look into my symptoms with me.

Anyway, your theory of man eating what is available to him is a good one. Too bad fast foods are what are most available these days. LOL
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Good point, avid. I KNOW low carb works for me. I KNOW low fat works for me
My point exactly. It seems that we as humans can go one way or the other, but we can't go both ways......LOL I just re read that
Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali girl View Post
I have a question, not sure if anyone will know this but was wondering if one could drink beer? I mean low carb beer. DH and I like to watch football and have some beer.
I hear ya'
I don't drink much at all, but there are times, particularly after a round of golf when I really want a cold beer.
Problem is CARBS!! Even a bud light has 6 1/2 grams of carbs. Not terrible for one beer, but who can have one beer?
I will do it occasionally, like I said, after a round of golf, but I don't kid myself. I know I'll regret the scale reading the next morning.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Hi Avid, I sometimes drink the mich. ultra it has only 2.9 carbs, but I was wondering about the wheat in it. Does dr. Davis state anything about that. Thanks for any info.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali girl View Post
Yes there are low carb beers. And there are wheat free beers too. And some liquor is low/no carb. Have to watch out for calories and habit high-carb snacking.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #113
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:

Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

I was wondering about the wheat in it. Does dr. Davis state anything about that. Thanks for any info.

I don't recall Dr. Davis specifically mentioning the small amounts of wheat that can be found in beer but I do recall that when questioned about even the slight amounts of wheat that may be found (in some meds for example) He is very clear.
"No wheat....period" He describes how even small amounts of wheat can mess with your system. So it's pretty clear, to follow the wheat belly plan as described by Dr. Davis one must avoid ALL wheat
p.s. Reality check: I have on one occasion had some wheat, not much, just a little pasta and a sliver of my grandsons birthday cake. I had no ill effects and went immediately back on plan.
Good luck to you, and let us know how your doing with it.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the suggestions, reddarin I don't know much about liquors but I will check for the wheat free beer. I hope that it is also low carb.
Avid, I think I will have the beer because that's what we like with our sports. Was thinking we should have protein with it. So I'm going to pick up buffalo chicken wings w/blue cheese. There very popular around here. Poor me having chicken wings and beer!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bre94
Stats: 5'7.5" 240/237.5/165
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: (restarting for the 3rd or 4th time) 11/15/13
HELLOOOO

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have been reading this thread and bought the 'Wheat Belly' book last week. Where did everyone go and how are you doing? I'm interested to hear how others have done a year, six months, etc. It seems as if there were alot of post on this thread a year ago and they just stopped at a certain point.

I was invited to several homes for Thanksgiving but wanted to stay at home where I can control what I eat at this point. I cooked three cornish hens, don't care for turkey that much, greens and yams and I'm very happy and thankful. Have been turning down all of the holiday food that has been at work everyday. Cleaned out my cabinets and frig last weekend. Donating all unopened food items to the food banks. It is amazing how many things have wheat in them.

Well, I hope that others come back to the board to share their journeys and WOEing.

Later, Bre

BRE and IZ
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Bre94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Bre,
I haven't been coming to LCF nearly so much lately. After hitting goal and maintaining a while, my interest has somewhat faded. I was glad to see you still following this.
I am still LC and basically wheat free. I don't have a gluten allergy and so will go off plan every once in a while, with no ill effects. I find it easier to maintain if I stay strict LC/wheat free, on a daily basis. I can then go off plan for one day with no pain or significant weight gain, so long as I go right back to strict adherence to my plan.
I eat more carbs now then when I was losing....I don't count the numbers, but I'm no longer in ketosis. Virtually all of my carbs come from veggies.
I am still at my goal weight...I have gained about a pound or so from my lowest weight, but my lowest weight exceeded goal, so I'm still ok....All my new clothes still it just fine.
So that's my update.....Hope you too are being successful with your diet/health plan
Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bre94
Stats: 5'7.5" 240/237.5/165
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: (restarting for the 3rd or 4th time) 11/15/13
Quote:
Hi Bre,
I haven't been coming to LCF nearly so much lately. After hitting goal and maintaining a while, my interest has somewhat faded. I was glad to see you still following this.
I am still LC and basically wheat free. I don't have a gluten allergy and so will go off plan every once in a while, with no ill effects. I find it easier to maintain if I stay strict LC/wheat free, on a daily basis. I can then go off plan for one day with no pain or significant weight gain, so long as I go right back to strict adherence to my plan.
I eat more carbs now then when I was losing....I don't count the numbers, but I'm no longer in ketosis. Virtually all of my carbs come from veggies.
I am still at my goal weight...I have gained about a pound or so from my lowest weight, but my lowest weight exceeded goal, so I'm still ok....All my new clothes still it just fine.
So that's my update.....Hope you too are being successful with your diet/health plan
Thanks Avid for responding. It is amazing that I maintained my healthier eating over a four-day weekend. Normally, it would have been a feast everyday. Haven't lost any significant weight but will stick to it. I am still finding things that are in my kitchen that contain wheat. Had too much company over the weekend to finish the book but it is my goal to read at work as during breaks and lunch to get further along.
Bre94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
Do any of you find your mood is affected by eating wheat? Oh and fatigue?
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Springalong,
No, i can't say that i find a direct connection between mood and wheat, or energy level and wheat. I did have more energy in the beginning but I now attribute that to being excited at having a new woe.
As I said before the big change I noticed was the speed in which my joint pain was eliminated. I went from chronic knee pain to zero knee pain in about a week. It continues to amaze me, but even though it's over a year since I eliminated wheat I still only get the slightest "twinge" in my knee and even that is rare.
I spoke to a friend recently who is in his 70's and had diabetes. He stopped eating processed wheat flour, switching over to bread etc, made from einhorn (sp) wheat...you know the ancient pre cursor to modern wheat. He lost about 15 pounds, feels better than ever and cured his diabetes...No meds needed.
Amazing how this ubiquitous grain is so harmful.
Be healthy