Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnmom View Post
hey Patty, I really hated that afternoon slump, just felt like blaaaa, and really messed up doing anything. Everything is put on hold, either get it done before nap or hope that I feel like doing it after nap which normally won't happen and end up putting it off till tomorrow.

Well yesterday when I posted felt pretty good, then at 1:30pm i was worn out, not the same as the 3pm slump. and a minor headache so laid down for an hour, didn't sleep. Around 5pm felt better. maybe just a side affect of no wheat.

This morning feel pretty good had storms last night so only got 4 hours sleep. noticed I'm not craving so maybe instead of a sweet addiction mine was a wheat addiction without knowing it. I always asumed when i craved the sweets on Lc that it was sugar. Well gosh donuts, cream horns, cookies all have wheat.

When i tried Lc many times, I would most cases have Lc bread or wraps and am sure other stuff

But anyway today is my 4th day Funky face is better less pressure and bloaty feeling. a little more clear headed. So just have to see how the rest of the day goes.

Have good day all looks like more storms for us.
I felt so fantastically better after quitting wheat I don't remember any withdrawal symptoms other than cravings for a very short period of time.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quitting wheat was a life-changing experience for me. I had serious GI and unexplained health issues growing up and no one could figure it out, even doctors. Anything from mild symptoms like constant gas/bloating/discomfort to passing out from pain in the bathroom and horrible heartburn or serious indigestion, swinging from constipation to diarrhea, random stomach cramps and migraines etc. was pretty common for me. I was also diagnosed with GERD about 10 years ago. All those years of pain and suffering dramatically improved when I first went very low carb, and then when I cut out wheat completely, they just vanished. Additional benefits like glowing clear skin, no more joint pain, reduced belly size, less sinus congestion, increased energy level and much healthier scalp/hair came along with it. Honestly though, just the lack of acid reflux itself is enough to keep me eating this way. I wish I had known about this when I was a kid. Could've saved myself so many years of suffering.

I've had a few planned events where I let wheat back in during special occasions or a certain holiday over the years, and if I ingest a high enough amount of it (more than a few bites here and there), even just in one sitting, I always regretted it. Some of those symptoms would come back and remind me how awful it is. Because I've cut out wheat for so long now, I never have cravings for it, which makes it pretty easy for me to follow. It's second nature to me.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
I've eaten gluten free for a year. Could never get my husband on board. I tried to show him info on how wheat could be causing his terrible heartburn/acid reflux.

He has been wheat free for a month and feels great. He is used to eating the burger without the bun and now feels that the bread is just an empty, tasteless filler!! This is a man who could put away three sandwiches a day.

I have yet to read this book but would love to buy a copy to lend out to friends.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
I've eaten gluten free for a year. Could never get my husband on board. I tried to show him info on how wheat could be causing his terrible heartburn/acid reflux.

He has been wheat free for a month and feels great. He is used to eating the burger without the bun and now feels that the bread is just an empty, tasteless filler!! This is a man who could put away three sandwiches a day.

I have yet to read this book but would love to buy a copy to lend out to friends.
I am still amazed about the heartburn thing with me. I *never* went anywhere without some form of anti-acid or a certain knowledge that I could stop and get some if I left without any. Had a bottle in my truck, in my backpack, in the house and at work.

Now? I don't even know where the bottle is. I lost track of the one in the house and the other spots I got rid of long ago.

My book is under new ownership with strict instructions to pass it along to a new person like a chain of small wheat destroying explosions passing from hand to hand

Last edited by reddarin; 09-26-2012 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
Subscribing.
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I am still amazed about the heartburn thing with me. I *never* went anywhere without some form of anti-acid or a certain knowledge that I could stop and get some if I left without any. Had a bottle in my truck, in my backpack, in the house and at work.

Now? I don't even know where the bottle is. I lost track of the one in the house and the other spots I got rid of long ago.

My book is under new ownership with strict instructions to pass it along to a new person like a chain of small wheat destroying explosions passing from hand to hand

LOL! Had a little chuckle at your last sentence there.

My husband was the same with his heartburn. Had a giant thing of Tums in the car and one in the house and an infinite amount of pocket sized packs hidden everywhere. He'd come home in agony and I'd just think to myself "when is he going to have enough of this?"

I get heartburn very rarely but the feeling is so sickening. I can't imagine living with it daily.

His father gets bad heartburn too and knows it is related to bread and milk but says he is too old to change. These problems really seem to be hereditary. My grandmother had Rheumatoid Arthritis, just like I do now, and drank so much milk and consumed so much ice cream and bread. I really feel she would still be alive today if she had simply eaten differently. I remember her with her multiple packs of Tums all over the house and wish I could go back in time and tell her how I've nearly cured my RA by quitting milk and sugar.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post

I tried to suggest it to a former coworker who suffers daily from acid reflux, since she asked me how I got rid of mine, and she wouldn't believe a word I said. She's tall and thin and has been all her life, and she eats "conventionally healthy", all whole grains and fruit and tons of wheat and sugar in her life. She just refused to believe it had anything to do with wheat/gluten. I never brought it up again after that, because she was horrified with the way I eat and low carb in general.

I'm glad your husband is feeling much better though. I know how that goes!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
My story is sort of like Vilanteira's. I was diagnosed with a "nervous stomach" when I would have throwing up spells that lasted for a day or so. I suffered with that for 20 years before I had a regular family doctor send me for allergy testing. Since then I have not had any "nervous stomach" attacks. I kept food journals for years since I felt in my heart it had to be something I was eating. It happened when I combined wheat and mushrooms which I also turned out to allergic to. Combined they were deadly in that I would throw up over and over. I would sleep on the bathroom floor so I could throw up when I needed to. Sure don't miss those days. Thank goodness for Dr. Bone. Really that was her name.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surfnmom
Stats: 182.4/182.4/135 (5'5)
WOE: juddd/5:2
Start Date: 4/5/13
Well the start of day 5 wheat free, feel really good this morning.

I discovered reading around that makeup has wheat in it or something, go figure here I am putting the stuff on my face, that may be giving me this face issue for so long. So today dumped my foundation, cant give up some of it just used a powder, bare minimum to get by till I can get to the store and buy new stuff.

So other then the bloat feeling in the face, everything is is going good and plan to continue.

Also, a real Plus is the continuous thinking about food is pretty much gone.

Ok that's about it, well let u know if the change in makeup makes a difference too.

Have a great day everyone
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
Welcome to the Newbies and a Big Thanks for your stories. I never thought about it but I've had this problem with wheat and maybe gluten ALL MY LIFE. I would not have realized it if it had not been for your sharing.

I never had a weight problem until my 20s, but I always had an enlarged belly. My Daddy's family did. I had GERD as a teenager but never associated it with wheat. I have no symptoms of gluten problems, but I figure why worry about it. I ate sandwiches all my life and my Mama thought a sweet roll and coffee was breakfast so I grew up on sweets. Never had cravings for sweets until I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I would say that I definitely have a wheat problem whether I do with gluten or not.

So thankful for Dr. Davis and his book and for you guys here. Have been doing CAD/CALP but think I will be just doing Wheat Belly/Low carb now. I can really see the benefits.

Still get sleeping a little around 5 or 6, but sleep is really good at night and I woke up early this morning ready to go.

Patty

I will Eat to Live! I will NOT Live to Eat!
I WILL NOT ALLOW FOOD TO HAVE ANY
POWER OVER ME!!!
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

I have finally ordered the book from my library.

Also if you are a facebooker, you can press like to the Wheat Belly and he has interesting articles and a whole lot of testimonys like you are describing
Absolutely amazing!

Have any of you chosen to still eat gluten free - such as good quality bread from Silver Hills?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

springalong I'm working on wheat now, but will probably stir clear of all grains now I do want to try the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread I believe adillenal mentioned it on another thread and it doesn't give her problems.

adillenal if I'm wrong with the bread let me know what it is you buy, and you also don't do wheat and this bread doesn't bother you even tho it has wheat sprouts in it. Any info would be great thanks
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Have any of you chosen to still eat gluten free - such as good quality bread from Silver Hills?

I'm off all grain products for the time being.
I also am reducing carbs. With a bit of sacrifice I have eliminated bananas and grapes. These are healhty whole foods that I love but too high in carbs for my current goals.
I went to the Silver Hills website. It looks lovely for someone trying to eat healthy. I especially like the non genetically modified grains they use. Alas the carb counts are way too high for me right now, but when I reach my goal weight (soon I think) I may re-visit the gluten free breads.
thanks for the link.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

If I ever thought I didn't have a problem with wheat, I had my proof today that I do. Went out to eat at Long John Silvers with DH. We got one meal and shared. I ate one piece of fish and took some of the batter off but not all. Just the little bit I had caused my knees to hurt. Not real bad but enough to prove that this girl is allergic to to wheat.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: myhnabird
Stats: 232.2/209.8/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start - July 17, 2014
I thought you guys might be interested in this nugget of information from a strawbale building list I'm on:

"You can see in the detail pictures that the straw has a variable diameter. Some of it is similar to current wheat straw, while much of the stalk has a smaller diameter. Parts of the stalk are very fine, less than one millimeter in diameter. Because the thicker, medium, and thinner clumps of straw in the bale, I suspect that the straw was much taller than current straw, and had a much more tapered stalk."

They're talking about a bale that was removed from a 100 year old strawbale house in Nebraska during a bathroom reno. Pretty clear that today's wheat is a whole lot different than the wheat of a century ago.

I think I'll go read Mr. Davis' book again...

Mary
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Good morning,
Still wheat free a week in, feeling better. Weighed this morning and down 3 Lbs. Nice. So I plan to stay wheat free and really need to get some grocerys in the house lol. Everything has wheat in it. (it's everywhere, It's everwhere). lol amazing. Ok off to get something done, Have a good day everyone
Old 10-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Yes, I too was surprised about how ubiquitous wheat is.
I was particularly distressed about the easy microwave dinners that didn't appear to have any breading or wheat as a food, but buried in the ingredieants.....there it was
it takes alot of effort to switch from low fat to low carb.
I lost about 9 pounds but I haven't moved below that in over a week.
I guess that's they call a "stall"...anyway. I'm in it.
But the knee pain is gone and with so many people having had the very painful replacement surgery, just that alone is reason enough to stay off wheat.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I was particularly distressed about the easy microwave dinners that didn't appear to have any breading or wheat as a food, but buried in the ingredieants.....there it was
But the knee pain is gone and with so many people having had the very painful replacement surgery, just that alone is reason enough to stay off wheat.
You don't have very much to lose Avid. Most people find the last 10 to 20 pounds the hardest to get rid of.

Have you read through the Nutritional Ketosis thread?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...is-thread.html

Or our HF 80/15/5 thread?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...r-version.html
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
One week for you and no more knee pain?!!!! That is incredible. I guess I should be really diligent about eliminating wheat entirely from my diet!!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by springalong View Post
If you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchhill
That is such an awesome Churchill quote!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning,
Still wheat free a week in, feeling better. Weighed this morning and down 3 Lbs. Nice. So I plan to stay wheat free and really need to get some grocerys in the house lol. Everything has wheat in it. (it's everywhere, It's everwhere). lol amazing. Ok off to get something done, Have a good day everyone
Good for you. I ate some potatos and 1/4 sl wheat toast Sunday and I am paying dearly with withdrawals. Soooo sleepy for 2 days. I'm not sure I can eat some of the starchy foods others can. And it is so true that wheat is everywhere. Just experimented with some things and now I'm just not sure it is worth experimenting with anything right now. Just follow the plan. I am so happy for you.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree 100%.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #83
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
springalong I'm working on wheat now, but will probably stir clear of all grains now I do want to try the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread I believe adillenal mentioned it on another thread and it doesn't give her problems.

adillenal if I'm wrong with the bread let me know what it is you buy, and you also don't do wheat and this bread doesn't bother you even tho it has wheat sprouts in it. Any info would be great thanks
The sprouted wheat bread has not caused me any of the symptoms that I run into when I eat regular wheat. I do not eat a lot of it though. Do not want to press my luck.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That is such an awesome Churchill quote!
I Winston! Hes one of my heros! He saw the problems in Germany developing and he was ignored and then finally when the country was in distress they had him step up to the plate. Really interesting character too. Did I say I the man?!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattygirl View Post
Good for you. I ate some potatos and 1/4 sl wheat toast Sunday and I am paying dearly with withdrawals. Soooo sleepy for 2 days. I'm not sure I can eat some of the starchy foods others can. And it is so true that wheat is everywhere. Just experimented with some things and now I'm just not sure it is worth experimenting with anything right now. Just follow the plan. I am so happy for you.
Ok stupid question here for all you smarties - what else is wheat hidden in???

Someone said it is even in some makeup.

Oh back to food - where is it hiding? Its like "Wheres Waldo?" Wheres wheat???

I admit I have abnormally high cravings for anything chocolatey ie lots of chocolate bars. Is it hiding in there? Is that why I am almost bordering on an eating disorder ?

Just wondering
Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I Winston! Hes one of my heros! He saw the problems in Germany developing and he was ignored and then finally when the country was in distress they had him step up to the plate. Really interesting character too. Did I say I the man?!
I never have read a biography about him. Can you recommend any in particular? I admire the heck out of him and he has few peers with his way with words
Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ok stupid question here for all you smarties - what else is wheat hidden in???

Someone said it is even in some makeup.

Oh back to food - where is it hiding? Its like "Wheres Waldo?" Wheres wheat???

I admit I have abnormally high cravings for anything chocolatey ie lots of chocolate bars. Is it hiding in there? Is that why I am almost bordering on an eating disorder ?

Just wondering
Best to assume it is in everything until you know for sure it isn't. Since celiacs has become better known there are a lot of websites for it that have excellent tips and lists of safe foods and what is safe for them is generally safe for us too just have to keep an eye out for carby stuff.

Soy sauce was the biggest surprise to me. You should have seen the wounded look on my face lol. But La Choy makes a wheat free version and Kikkoman does too if you can find it.

Cocoa bars are safe for sure if they are just cocao like the 86%+ bars. Love them!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I never have read a biography about him. Can you recommend any in particular? I admire the heck out of him and he has few peers with his way with words
Hmm not really sure about any book in particular, however if you were to google Winston Churchill lots will come up. Plus going to your local library or their website you will find reams of resources.

Did you know his mother was American? Little trivia there!

Quote:
Best to assume it is in everything until you know for sure it isn't. Since celiacs has become better known there are a lot of websites for it that have excellent tips and lists of safe foods and what is safe for them is generally safe for us too just have to keep an eye out for carby stuff.

Soy sauce was the biggest surprise to me. You should have seen the wounded look on my face lol. But La Choy makes a wheat free version and Kikkoman does too if you can find it.

Cocoa bars are safe for sure if they are just cocao like the 86%+ bars. Love them!
Thanks for the info! I will check into Celiacs to see what comes up
Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #89
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I just put a library hold on this book, but the wait is quite long. I'm excited to read it though
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay ya'll. Jimmy Moore, over at Living La Vida Low Carb, has a couple of very cool podcasts with Dr. Davis - the guy that wrote Wheat Belly!

The first one has two guests. The FlyLady is up first. She came to LC through Why We Get Fat and then the second part is Dr. Davis and it is from right after his book came out!

Google 'LVLC-ep-495-cilley-davis'.

The second one is the next time Dr. Davis appeared on the show with Jimmy.

Google 'LLVLC-ep-528-william-davis-md'.