Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Our school nurse at that time told me it was probably from finding out my food allergies and eliminating them. Just anecdotal but very real for me.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Our school nurse at that time told me it was probably from finding out my food allergies and eliminating them. Just anecdotal but very real for me.
It is a dramatic testament to how seemingly innocuous food items can cause such awful problems.

And, having read Wheat Belly, I have zero doubt that modern wheat was the culprit.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
adillenal - Thanks so much for sharing your story. I have never had joint problems until just recently and then I came across the book Wheat Belly.
Funny thing is that I had a Health Food Store owner tell me that I was gluten sensitive and should give it up. No one knew much about going wheat/gluten free and I thought he was nuts. Years later I read a test to supposed answer questions to see if I was sensitive to gluten and didn't see that I was. However after reading this book, I believe that I must be. So I am just starting to eat wheat/gluten free. I am also trying to get my sister who has severe joint problems to do the same thing. If you have no problem with it, I would like to copy your story and email it to her. She lives in TX. I notice you are from TX. I am from originally from Waco, TX and have lived in Dallas and in League City.

I was wondering if anyone eats some of the gluten-free products? I know Dr. Davis discourages it, but there are some of them that looks good. I went to the store this morning to get some wheat/gluten-free friendly foods... veggies etc. I did give in and get a gluten-free cookies? Also got unsweetened almond milk and came home and put some Stevia in it. I just can't drink it without it.

Also, I'm not real clear on gluten... is gluten-free and wheat-free the same thing? I noticed most products say gluten-free and wheat-free while some just say gluten-free. Is there a difference and if so what is it?

Thanks for your help.

Patty

I will Eat to Live! I will NOT Live to Eat!
I WILL NOT ALLOW FOOD TO HAVE ANY
POWER OVER ME!!!
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

patty - I have no problems with you sharing my post. I live East of Austin so am also in Central Texas. Love my state.

Gluten free and wheat free are not the same. There is gluten in other grains such as barley, rye, malts and I am sure others. I do not follow a gluten free diet just avoid wheat. My take on gluten free prodcuts is, skip them. Fresh vegetables, meats and most dairy (read those labels) can make up a good diet. Coconut flour is gluten free as well so you could try some of those recipes using it. There is wheat in many many processed foods so I just avoid most processed stuff and have gone back to whole foods. We now raise our own beef and pork, have laying hens and had a garden this past summer. GLuten free and wheat free without a trip to the store. Not everyone can do that but DH and I decided to get the chemicals and growth hormones out of our food supply. Oh and I have dairy goats for milk products. Milk fed eggs are really good by the way.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
Old 09-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattygirl View Post
is gluten-free and wheat-free the same thing?
Sadly not
Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I do not follow a gluten free diet just avoid wheat.
Same here mostly. Although my first choice, if I have one, is gluten free and wheat free. But I'll settle for wheat free only or just not eat the evil wheat containing item
Old 09-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
We now raise our own beef and pork, have laying hens and had a garden this past summer. GLuten free and wheat free without a trip to the store. Not everyone can do that but DH and I decided to get the chemicals and growth hormones out of our food supply. Oh and I have dairy goats for milk products. Milk fed eggs are really good by the way.

Oh my!! Not only is this a fabulously healthy way to live, but it seems utterly charming as well.
Good for you Adi!
Hi, Patty. I am totally wheat free, and have greatly reduced my carbs as well. I avoid all gluten as well as all starchy carbs even non gluten sources like potato's.
In the 16 days I have been living this way I have lost 8 pounds and as stated earlier, my chronic knee pain is gone.
Dr. Davis discourages use of processed gluten free foods because they almost always contain a food starch such as potato starch, corn starch, etc.
According to his research, these refined starches spike your blood sugar worse than wheat does. I struggled for a few days because, as you have observed, some of these gluten free foods are very tempting. But I took his advice to heart. You see, my concern is as much general health as it weight loss....to be honest, I really didn't believe the claims about freedom from joint pain. I was amazed and delighted when it began to happen and became more convinced than ever that wheat was ruining my health.
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. Giving up wheat is a hugely big deal. So just enjoy the gluten free foods.
Health benefits are sure to follow.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

True. I forgot about that aspect and you can usually see that in the carb count on GF food so I naturally avoid it for that reason if no other.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
Start Date: April 2012
I am going to jump in here and just share a little about my gluten experience.

My DD has had to be gluten free for most of her life so I was already very familiar with this WOE. It's MUCH easier finding foods to eat now than it was when she was a child. That's another story for a different day.
Anyway, when I started LCing back in April, I decided that I would do gluten free with her. It just seemed easier. I had horrible joint pain in my knees and other places, but the knees were the most noticeable. I could barely walk up my steps. Well, me knee pain went away. I just thought it was because I had lost weight. In July, I purchased some nut crackers that had gluten in them. I ate three, and the next day could barely walk again. SO, no more gluten for me.
Also I think that Wheat Belly should be a must read for everybody with any health problems. Love that book!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
patty - I have no problems with you sharing my post. I live East of Austin so am also in Central Texas. Love my state.

Gluten free and wheat free are not the same. There is gluten in other grains such as barley, rye, malts and I am sure others. I do not follow a gluten free diet just avoid wheat. My take on gluten free prodcuts is, skip them. Fresh vegetables, meats and most dairy (read those labels) can make up a good diet. Coconut flour is gluten free as well so you could try some of those recipes using it. There is wheat in many many processed foods so I just avoid most processed stuff and have gone back to whole foods. We now raise our own beef and pork, have laying hens and had a garden this past summer. GLuten free and wheat free without a trip to the store. Not everyone can do that but DH and I decided to get the chemicals and growth hormones out of our food supply. Oh and I have dairy goats for milk products. Milk fed eggs are really good by the way.
I envy your being able to raise all or most of your food. 2nd Hubby and I did that for a while. Didn't raise beef but raised our veggies, poultry and ummm fresh eggs. Never had milk fed eggs but love goats milk if I could afford it... nothing like it. Thanks for the advoce.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for your help. While it is true that I'm doing this for weight loss, I am also doing it for my joints. I will be going gluten and wheat free.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Patty - I hope you have much success by eliminating wheat as I did. Although when I was diagnosed as having a wheat allergy I took allergy shots (or rather gave them to myself) for two years to desensitize. That was back when you could get the bottle of medi and take it home and do your own shots. Boy has that been a long time ago.
There were days even way back then when my hands had no strength and my thumbs would hurt really bad. No more. (unless I eat wheat) which I do every once in awhile like next week when I go to the State Fair. I may not be able to avoid it 100%.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

I may not be able to avoid it 100%.

Interesting that you mentioned that....I've been avoiding going out to eat, or eating at a friends house for just this reason. I don't mind telling people about my woe, but I don't feel that I have the right to insist they cook special for me.
How do you deal with situations?
thanks.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Avid - I usually do not eat what anyone else has cooked unless it is straight veggies or grilled meat of some sort. I rarely eat out. I don't enjoy eating out anymore.

BUT I cannot resist fair food no matter what it is. I just eat it and go on. It is only once a year and I have to stay at the fairgrounds for 4 days. Although I take food with me, I still eat fair food junk at least once a day.

Otherwise I make my own food. I take my lunch everyday to work. I am sure people think I am boring. BUT I have reached the point where my world does not revolve around food so it is just kind of not a big issue for me and I can easily just not eat. I follow JUDDD as a WOE and it is low calorie day followed by higher calorie day so I am used to eating very little every other day.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Avid - I usually do not eat what anyone else has cooked unless it is straight veggies or grilled meat of some sort. I rarely eat out. I don't enjoy eating out anymore.

BUT I cannot resist fair food no matter what it is. I just eat it and go on. It is only once a year and I have to stay at the fairgrounds for 4 days. Although I take food with me, I still eat fair food junk at least once a day.

Otherwise I make my own food. I take my lunch everyday to work. I am sure people think I am boring. BUT I have reached the point where my world does not revolve around food so it is just kind of not a big issue for me and I can easily just not eat. I follow JUDDD as a WOE and it is low calorie day followed by higher calorie day so I am used to eating very little every other day.

Ok, spill....why 4 days at the fair?
Low-Carb Chicklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

I raise and show dairy goats so I go on Thursday, show on Saturday and we are released on Sunday. I call it my fall vacation. I love the State Fair. Since I do JUDDD, my only UD is Saturday so that will be my eat fair food day.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like fun!
Low-Carb Chicklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: surfnmom
Stats: 182.4/182.4/135 (5'5)
WOE: juddd/5:2
Start Date: 4/5/13
Hey all started reading the book and went wheat free yesterday, I know something is messing me up, not sure if its wheat or dairy. My face always feel like I have 5lbs of water and I'm brain dead half the time. Also the 3pm nap is a must.

So going to get off the wheat first and hopefully get some relief.

Finding the book really interesting and well let you all know how this is going.
surfnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnmom View Post
Hey all started reading the book and went wheat free yesterday, I know something is messing me up, not sure if its wheat or dairy. My face always feel like I have 5lbs of water and I'm brain dead half the time. Also the 3pm nap is a must.

So going to get off the wheat first and hopefully get some relief.

Finding the book really interesting and well let you all know how this is going.
Keep us posted on how being wheat-free works for your health! And welcome to a better life =)
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Have any of you had problems sleeping? Last night I went to bed around 11ish because I have to get up @ 6:30 and take care of 2 yr old DGS and I couldn't get to sleep until sometime after 1 am. Then I woke up at 4:30 and could never go back to sleep. Is this going to be the norm?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattygirl View Post
Have any of you had problems sleeping? Last night I went to bed around 11ish because I have to get up @ 6:30 and take care of 2 yr old DGS and I couldn't get to sleep until sometime after 1 am. Then I woke up at 4:30 and could never go back to sleep. Is this going to be the norm?
No, I sleep like a log every night but then I have been off wheat for a long time.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, I sleep like a log every night but then I have been off wheat for a long time.
Thanks adillenal. Maybe it is a passing thing. I was so sleepy so much probably from the wheat and grains before. So hopefully the longer I am without it perhaps my sleeping will be better. I can only hope.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Also the 3pm nap is a must.

this was true for me too. For the past few years, I would have to take a nap in the afternoon. I have way more energy now. A couple of times this past week I settled into my easy chair with a good book like I used to. I fully expected to be dozing within minutes, but I'm just not sleepy like I used to. I love the new vitality, but part of misses that 3 pm nap.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and at night I sleep like a baby.
No problems there at all, so Patty I hope it is just a passing thing.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

2 or 3 pm and dozing off at 6pm sitting in the chair. Now I get up at 4am or 5am, up all day without fantasizing about a nap, go to sleep between 9:30 and 11:30.

Last edited by reddarin; 09-25-2012 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Avid and Reddarin. I did get sleepy last night around 5 and dozed for a few minutes, but didn't want to go to sleep because I was afraid I wouldn't sleep laterr. I went to bed around 11pm and slept like a baby and then woke up around 6:15 am ready to go. So perhaps as time goes by it will get better and better.

I didn't do to good with my eating plan Sunday, but I did great yesterday. I use the CAD/CALP plan eating more Atkins style for all meals and snacks using the 1 hour Reward Meal which usually works out to be 35 to 45 if that long to eat the carby veggies such as higher carb veggies like carrots and seed and nuts. I mixed almond meal, unsweetened coconut flakes and 1 egg and seasonings and put the mixture on cod fish (have to pat it on to get it to stick) and baked it for a change and it was very good. It was nice to have a batter and not just a baked piece of fish. So I'm learning. I'm using the unsweetened almond milk that I added Stevia to instead of regular milk so I can keep the carbs and calories down.

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement you give me.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Tilapia is excellent fried in refined CO.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Today is the start of my third day wheat free, thought i blew it grabbing a couple snack-size candy bars with peanut butter before bed last night.
Looked it up this morning and was relived they were wheat free, but could have cross contamination. But since I'm pretty sure I don't have a severe issue with wheat then an occasional indulgence is not enough to throw in the towel.
So the first day i had the nap at 3pm, Yesterday no nap It was great not having the total body shut down at 3 yesterday. And slept like a rock last night.
This morning my face is less stuffed up and bloated feeling, kinda feels like its breaking up. So far enough going on positively to keep going wheat free.

kk have a great day, enjoy reading the thread
Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnmom View Post
Today is the start of my third day wheat free, thought i blew it grabbing a couple snack-size candy bars with peanut butter before bed last night.
Looked it up this morning and was relived they were wheat free, but could have cross contamination. But since I'm pretty sure I don't have a severe issue with wheat then an occasional indulgence is not enough to throw in the towel.
So the first day i had the nap at 3pm, Yesterday no nap It was great not having the total body shut down at 3 yesterday. And slept like a rock last night.
This morning my face is less stuffed up and bloated feeling, kinda feels like its breaking up. So far enough going on positively to keep going wheat free.

kk have a great day, enjoy reading the thread
I agree with you. Just the few days into this has great positives to keep going. I feel so much better and with taking care of a 2 1/2 yr old DGS it will be wonderful when all that energy hits me so I can keep up with him better.
So glad this is working so good for you too. Hopefully I won't have an afternoon slump today either. But this is day 2 of absolutely clear of all wheat and grains, so might have to wait till tomorrow or a few more days. Still will be looking forward to it.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

hey Patty, I really hated that afternoon slump, just felt like blaaaa, and really messed up doing anything. Everything is put on hold, either get it done before nap or hope that I feel like doing it after nap which normally won't happen and end up putting it off till tomorrow.

Well yesterday when I posted felt pretty good, then at 1:30pm i was worn out, not the same as the 3pm slump. and a minor headache so laid down for an hour, didn't sleep. Around 5pm felt better. maybe just a side affect of no wheat.

This morning feel pretty good had storms last night so only got 4 hours sleep. noticed I'm not craving so maybe instead of a sweet addiction mine was a wheat addiction without knowing it. I always asumed when i craved the sweets on Lc that it was sugar. Well gosh donuts, cream horns, cookies all have wheat.

When i tried Lc many times, I would most cases have Lc bread or wraps and am sure other stuff

But anyway today is my 4th day Funky face is better less pressure and bloaty feeling. a little more clear headed. So just have to see how the rest of the day goes.

Have good day all looks like more storms for us.