Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
HAPPY SECOND WEEK OF JANUARY 2014!!!

SUE

Today I start the 3 day kick start of PP... Kids are gone & so is son, just their dog left behind. It will be a good day to start.

I have just been watching carefully the overeating & carbs, drinking more water and I am down some. I dont stress over ups & downs every day... weekly is always better. So, ladies stay off the scales every day weekly really is better, your clothes will tell you more than that thing with numbers... it is just a number.

Dukan is not just about a number but about better health IMO...
As Laura said, when you start you might get clogged so keep a good laxative around so you dont get too uncomfortable. I up my intake of Milk Kefir (culture my own) & that keeps me clean inside.

If y'all dont know about Milk Kefir there is a thread on it, Kefir Fermenters Unite!

When your gut is happy the whole body gets into better health as 95% of your immune system is in your gut.

Remember whether you have your WOE going or not, get in your 20 minutes a day of exercise, walking is what Dukan recommends. Park your car at the far end of the parking lots, walk the inside/outside perimeter of the stores before you begin to shop, always take the stairs up/down not elevators and this will add to the recommended 20 minutes. Get your heart rate up (where you start to sweat) when you do exercise. If you can only do that for 2 or 3 minutes to start, then start there and add a minute a day or every other day as you can.

ANY PROGRESS IS PROGRESS!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: 280/214.4/161
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: 1/4/2014
Thank you thank you, iamfaithful. I've got my eye on some kefir in a tub like cream cheese that looks interesting. Thinking of getting some next time I get groceries.

Just a quick check-in for now as I'm off to work today. Down 6 lbs in my first week doing Dukan, so off to a good start! But I'm in it for the long haul.

Purrcy'smom, I love the dukanitout site and I put her book on my kindle--interesting recipe ideas. Concerned a bit about her use of cheese, though. So far I've not experimented with the fat free cheeses like cheddar but it does open up some recipe options. So I will go carefully there haha. Don't want to mess with the good results I've gotten so far.

Have a great day everyone!

Sue
RW City Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Laura (purceys mom) does more recipes than I do.

Just take it one step at a time. Literally one step anterior another ( walking )

Watch the kefir. Make sure it is only kefir & not additives.
I have grains if you want to do your own. Easy! I don't think we can share any longer (grapevine told me) so you will have to use my link below to see my ferments.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 01-10-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Purrcy'smom
Stats: 216/193.5/158
WOE: Dukan and the CTFLC
Start Date: May 9, 2011
Hey Sue and Iam- I am happy to have this thread getting going again too. A year or so ago there as a huge turnover, and lost a lot of the rapport and momentum. I am ready - and if either of you would like my home email, in case you have a moment of weakness or just want to share a yummy recipe, I am on there multiple times a day- sometimes I get so busy hard to log in here as much as I would like to! I have to lose 40 lbs is my first goal- how about you Sue?
Hugs all.... Laurelei ( ps thanks for the comments on my beloved Purrcy- he is my darling boy- we have 5, but shhhh don't tell the others!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dukaniestas, I think we can stir up some momentum here and maybe others will join in. I noticed a couple people posting in other high protein, low fat threads like Stillmans since this one has not been as active lately, even though they are on the Dukan plan.

Laurelei, I have a long road ahead to get to my True Weight. The Dukan website assigned me a True Weight of 171.7. So that's 68 lbs from where I'm at now at 239.8. Their estimated time for me to get there is August 28. So, I'm determined to get there and go thru Consolidation and Stabilization. I like that there is a plan for what they call being "cured of being overweight". I have been hard on this body over the years with all the yo-yo weights I've been at and I'm concerned about what that's done to my health. I want to take Dukan's advice and make this the last time I go through this process. (btw, I sent u a pm)

iamfaithful, step by step does make it doable. I like that the plan is not complicated.

Later, all.

Sue
Old 01-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

A quick Saturday nite check-in: I worked again today, packed a healthy sack lunch and everything is going well with staying on plan. I'm definitely in the "pink cloud" phase and I'm going to ride it for all it's worth. Haha. It seems at certain times in life everything lines up to make for the right frame of mind and the strength to carry thru with a challenge the size of this one I'm taking on. I'm quite grateful for the support I have here and glad I've connected with a plan that clicks with me.

Good night all,

Sue
Old 01-12-2014, 03:58 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Good info on what Dukan is about. Also a link to a good article from The Mail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
The stated objective of the Dukan Diet is to provide a system of perfectly interwoven instructions that are sufficiently clear and direct that theyset the dieter on the right track avoiding the need for that never-ending effort of will power that slowly undermines their determination.

These instructions join together in four successive diets, the first two making up the actual weight-loss phase, while the next two ensure that the weight loss achieved is consolidated than permanently stabilized.

Attack Phase: An initial attack phase led by the "pure protein diet" that creates a stunning kick-start, almost as quickly as fasting or powdered protein diets but without their drawbacks.

The Cruise Phase: A cruise phase led by an "alternating protein" diet, which allows you to reach your chosen weight non-stop in one go.

The Consolidation Phase: A consolidation phase when the weight you have achieved is consolidated, a phase designed to prevent the rebound effect that occurs after any rapid weight-loss. This is a period of high vulnerability when the body has a tendency to very easily regain those lost pounds. It has a very precise time-scale: 5 days for every pound lost.

The Stabilization Phase: Finally, and most importantly, permanent stabilization based on a simple, safety measure, that is easy to follow but indispensable if the weight loss is to be maintained: the Dukan Diet has to be followed one set day per week for the rest of your life. This rule is indeed strict and non-negotiable, but it is sufficiently specific and effective that it can be adhered to over such a long period of time.

You can calculate (as a guideline) of how long you should be in each phase in order to reach your goal and how to maintain it.

Remember! It is only a guideline. Your results may vary.

Mail Online UK has by far the best outline of the plan. You will get an idea of what this diet entails.

Amazon.uk sells the English translation of the book. I do not see it as being available in the US or Canada as yet.

Come on in and let's do this!

Last edited by RW City Sue; 01-12-2014 at 04:05 AM..
Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Dukan Oat Bran Galette

I think I will start today off with a Dukan staple:

Dukan Oat Bran Galette
1 egg white
2 T oat bran
2 T fat free plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp sweetener (splenda, stevia, etc) for a sweet pancake
or
pepper, herbs, chopped garlic for savory

In a small bowl, beat the egg white until foamy. In a separate bowl, combine the oat bran, Greek yogurt, and sweetener or seasonings. Add the beaten egg white and mix until blended.

Place a small nonstick pan on medium heat. Pour the pancake mixture into the pan and cook for about 5 min, or until the underside is golden brown and the upper side starts to dry. Flip the galette with a spatula and continue cooking the other side for an additional 5 min.

Remove to a plate and allow to cool briefly before serving.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Morning Check-in

I have a busy day ahead. Getting new carpet installed in bedrooms, so the whole house is in a state of upheaval for the duration. Guess it has to get worse b4 it gets better like so many other things in life 😏

Eating has been going well and on plan. I'm very happy about how the rhythm of PP and PV days is working for me. I'm working on adding a countdown to Consolidation Phase ticker to my signature...

Sue
Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW City Sue View Post
Morning Check-in

I have a busy day ahead. Getting new carpet installed in bedrooms, so the whole house is in a state of upheaval for the duration. Guess it has to get worse b4 it gets better like so many other things in life 😏

Eating has been going well and on plan. I'm very happy about how the rhythm of PP and PV days is working for me. I'm working on adding a countdown to Consolidation Phase ticker to my signature...

Sue
Hi there! Excellent work. I eat those galettes every single day unless I am doing an oat bran muffin. This time, I must not be doing things right, I am up a half pound! Going to wait a few more days before weighing in again~ BTW that meatloaf was to die for.
Purrcy'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Oh and I started at 216, got down to 189, fell entirely off the wagon for a long time back to 202. So we will ride this wave together! I wish to get to 160....
Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Hi Laure, I had to deal with my first time of not seeing the scale go down this am, so going to be really careful with a PP day today. And I plan to keep the sodium down and drink lots of water. I think stress levels affect our ability to lose also.

Your results with Dukan are encouraging. Even though you gained some back, it wasn't all and you have a way to get back since you did it once, you'll do it again.

This bloated feeling this am--I am not liking I was getting quite used to that lighter feeling. Going to try and get time to do some reading in the book today to help keep my motivation going. Being able to come here for support helps much also.

Yes, we will ride this wave together, my friend.

Sue
Old 01-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrcy'smom View Post
that meatloaf was to die for.
As soon as I get time to do some cooking, I want to make it this week

I see my ticker is not changing, hmmm--gotta check on that when I get time. It's the first time I used one. Thought it wb fun to count down to consolidation to help keep me on track for getting there since its quite a ways off.

Last edited by RW City Sue; 01-14-2014 at 05:41 AM..
Old 01-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldews View Post
Just found a new product at Walmart that I like. Crown Prince sardines in foil pkgs with no salt added. Never have liked the canned sardines, but these were great in a salad tonight. I added lots of lemon juice, Lawrey's salt free seasoning and a TB of salsa to make a dressing. Also added a chopped avocado since I'm on consolidation. The pkg. has 70 calories, 16 gm of protein,1 gm of fat and no carbs. Lots of good Omega 3 fats too. If you haven't tried them, they are a low cost protein and easy to stick in your bag if you're out shopping, then use to top a salad. They might be good made into sardine patties too by mixing with the oat bran, an egg, some chp. celery and seasonings. I make salmon and tuna patties that way.
Found this in an older Dukan thread. Good ideas for making fish patties.

Sue
Old 01-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Those sardines are really good & inexpensive!
My gain from where I was ti where I am was because I was taking care if kids living with me and using my food $ for them. Life happens sometime. Now it is time to take care of me! I have until the Ides of March to get my health back where it was. There is a new adventure this old lady will be on starting that date & I can't wait! So it is an hour on the gazelle every day and then the big ball. Today I realized I have to do strength training. I picked up a 5#weight and it was heavy to me! Have at least 15-22#to drop by then so I can fit in what I will need. Fun & exciting! Since Jesus told me to do this, I figure He knows what I am capable of accomplish 👏
Old 01-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Hi iamfaithful. I'm just going thru some weight fluctuations this week--back down again this am after having too much sodium the day b4 yesterday I'm pushing water as much as I can. It seems to be one of the keys to this plan.

faithful, you have me intrigued about your Ides of March adventure. Do tell more and good for you with your workouts! I am having a knee replacement next month so not able to do most weight bearing exercises very easily right now. I have a pool I can go to for water exercises though. Mainly just working on hitting a stride with getting this new woe down. Ha!

I have another busy day today. We're in the midst of lots of home improvement projects I'm trying to wrap up in the next month. Looks like our contractor will be starting demo on the kitchen on Monday so it will be an interesting couple weeks with food prep

Ladies, have a great day. I'm so grateful for your companionship on our journeys.

Sue
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I wanted to also say I received an order from Dukan yesterday. They have a couple of supplements on their website that looked interesting so I'm trying the appetite and fat control capsules and I already have their whoosh, a natural diuretic, I got from Netrition. I also really like the Dukan marinara. I have a box of their vanilla muffin mix to try and the oat bars, which I've been using for an afternoon snack if I don't have the bran in something else during the day. The shirataki noodles and rice have already become staples for me.

They have some other interesting oat bran products but they have wheat in them and I have a gluten sensitivity so those are out for me. It's made it easier at least to have some convenience products available

Sue
Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

I was thinking how this whole thing of weight loss can be such a mental game. I like the way Dukan's book and website help encourage going through plateaus that can cause a lot of people to give up. For me it helps to anticipate and plan for what may come up along the journey. I just can't afford to fail this time around.

Sue
Old 01-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

sally forth

Hi Guys! Sue, you are so right. It is mostly in the head! the fluctuations can really play with my psyche, and send me on a bender when I don't see any results. This week for instance, I followed IAM's reccomendation to weigh weekly so I am going to check fri or sat- and hope for ANY lower number since I went up a half last week! How can this be? The first time I went on this the weight loss plan, as Dr. Dukan said, the loss started out stunning- then leveled out to slow and steady which I was very happy with. One admission, I have not yet been able mentally or physically been able it seems to begin the exercise- I KNOW this would be a boon to me, but why can't i get going? i work full time,and school at night, i am just beat I think. But I graduate in 6 weeks (!!!!!!!!!!) My bachelors.. and then I will feel like my time is my own again= it has been a long 4 years. Did I share my pot roast with y'all? it was the best ever, my hubby and fought over the left overs- and only 4 ingredients!
Pork roast about 1 or 1.5 lbs ( this is how I cook in "abouts"..
1 onion sliced
1 carrot ( i use the precut carrot pennies a handful)
1/4 cup bbq sauce- I used low sugar with smoky flavour
1/4 cup water
cook high for 4-6 hours.. it pulls apart so incredibly delicious and even I couldnt mess it up! Those muffin mixes sound expensive BUT- I love them- the are so good, and you can add flavours to the vanilla- they make 12 portions so that is plenty- I freeze mine and they last better ....... take one out each morning.... also- I bought the muffin TOP baking pan- best investment I ever made! This is purrfect for these~! Since we all know the top is the best part! Sue, Dr Dukan says you can add 1 tbsp Goji berries to the muffins too with no impact... they are great! Hugs all, and heres hoping for even 1/2 lbs down for me this week !

Last edited by Purrcy'smom; 01-16-2014 at 01:51 PM..
Old 01-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

here is one very similar- i added carrots and sliced the onion so you can eat them! hugs. 3 lbs pork tenderloin
8 ounces of your favorite barbecue sauce
1 small onion (minced)
2 -3 garlic cloves (minced)
2 dashes hot sauce
salt and pepper

Directions:

Salt and pepper pork loin and place in crock pot.
Add garlic and onion.
Pour BBQ sauce over meat.
Add hot sauce and stir to evenly distribute.
Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

one of my fave recipes

RECIPE
Serves: 2, plus a little leftovers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

2 turkey sausages cut into small pieces (or 1 lb. italian sausage casings removed)
2 packages Tofu Angel Hair Noodles, rinsed and drained
1/2 small red onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 or 1 package Japanese mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice, slice the larger ones)
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1 - 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
3/5 c. red wine
2 T. dried parsley
1 t. dried basil
1 1/2 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 c fat free sour cream ( I always leave this out....)
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, brown sausage with onions, bell pepper and garlic. Add mushrooms and saute for approximately 5 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, wine, spices and pasta, stir, cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream if using. Return to heat for approximately 3 minutes or until hot.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

The Ides of March (15th) is a start day for me to go out and Just DO IT!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeeBloom
Stats: 189/189/133
WOE: Dukan/Meat & Egg/Low Carb
Start Date: 03/04/2014
I would love to join your group, I just finished 10 days of Phase I and am now on the PP/PV cycle... but would love to have a group to be accountable and share with!
DeeBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 227/211.6/170.0
Start Date: January 2012(1st) January 2014(2nd)
I've been gone for over a year. It's been bad
I am up 40 lbs.... Half a year to lose over 50 and a year to gain back....nuts! I just let 2013 get the best of me.... Not I'm half a month into 2014 & still not back on track. Well it all changes now. I miss who I was when I first started posting here in 2012.

I will start tomorrow on Dukan again! Tomorrow is my grocery day so I can prepare. I never stopped oat ran so I'm ready with that.

I'll check in tomorrow with the oh so awful first day weigh in

In 2012 I lost 60. In 2013 I found the majority of it again...now in 2014 I will fix it!
Paranoidsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

DeeBloom and Paranoidsoutherner! So glad to see you're both back.

Dee, that's a really strong start--10days of attack phase!

Southerner, I'm glad for the experience you bring to the group. At least you know Dukan works and you can do this again. And you already have the daily oat bran in place, so that habit is ingrained. That's encouraging to hear. It's what I'm hoping for--to make some permanent changes in the way I think about food and establish better patterns. I also like what you said about who you were when you first started posting here. I so need to feel better about myself and the effort I'm putting into straightening out health issues.

faithful, woohoo for the ides of march then. You go!

Laure, thanks for the recipes. You're a much better cook than I am. I can tell that. I have the muffin top pans also and plan to do the same thing--have them ready to go in the freezer. I almost ordered the goji berries but am holding off for now. I lost 6lbs my first week but the scale just bounced around this last week with no further loss. So I'm being more careful about my choices. I suspect too much sodium is what got me. And maybe too large of portions, so I'm scaling back on the volume I'm eating.

I went back to re-read Dukan's book to see if there was something I was doing wrong since I had expected to drop another 2 pounds last week but I've been on plan, so I'm just going to trust the process. My body is evidently adjusting and water weight is stabilizing and I'm at least making progress in learning some new patterns. I've also been feeling better and have more energy, which I really needed. So we shall see what this next week brings.

Sue
Old 01-18-2014, 04:26 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Laure, I also meant to say how happy I am for you about ready to graduate. That's huge. You will be so glad you did this even though it's been a long haul with working full time and taking night classes. I finally finished up my degree at age 50 after many years of working at it and am proud of that accomplishment.

What's your major? Mine was international business at San Francisco State. I had started college in the 70's at the University of Nebraska. And took classes along the way everywhere I lived until I finally finished haha. Better late than never!

Sue
Old 01-18-2014, 05:17 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 227/211.6/170.0
Start Date: January 2012(1st) January 2014(2nd)
Thanks Sue!
I'm starting this morning off with my walking and I'm going to plan out my week so I get enough food for attack phase.

Yes, oat bran is a habit. I have it nearly every morning with yogurt. I know Dukan will work but you have to be dedicated to it.
Paranoidsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Got something weird going in with thyroid. Went from hypo to hyper at my age When I take the me lower dose I get chest jaw pains so I decided to NOT take it till I get retested. My skin has become really soft & weight is not dropping but inches are. Sticking with My modified Dukan & exercise & feeling good! Will go to get thyroid tested after the Ides of March.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
You will eventually tweak Dukan to your personal body and that is kinda nice. Something that will help you in the first few months is to keep a journal of what you are eating. Then along with a chart of your loss...& it will be a loss... you can see what worked to give you the most success & what really didnt work.

Also, this is as much a mental challenge as a physical! Once we get it fixed in our mind that we are going to do this ~ we will not back up! Might make bad choices but if we do wont throw in the towel because of an hour or a day.!

Some wise and re-assuring words from someone who has gone down this path before me thanks, faithful.

I'm on a learning curve this week to tweak what didn't work so well for me last week. If I'm honest with myself, I have to say I can have a tendency to take the all you want to eat concept of the plan too far. Going overboard with an 'all you can eat buffet' mentality has gotten me in trouble in the past. This week, my goal is to slow down and take it easy and not be so quick to reach for something to eat at the slightest twinges of hunger and instead have some water, which usually ends up satisfying or relax with a cup of tea. It's often stress that's acting as a trigger for me anyway.

Sue
Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Hi faithful, we were posting at the same time. Figuring out medication doses can sometimes turn into a difficult undertaking, especially amongst changes in woe and weight. Glad you are feeling good, though. Good skin is an interesting side effect from this woe. Guess our bodies are saying yes to the protein

Sue