Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
I never went FF.
When I started Dukan I went offf a web site thedukandiet.info
They said 2% or lower for dairy... so that is what I did until I switched to whole milk for my milk kefir.
Then I added avocados & VCO.
I didnt loose for almost a month but just a pound or two, then all of a sudden I was losing 1lb/day! After 17 days my body didnt feel right because for me I was losing too much too fast... Dukan said my true weight is 164 & I was already down to 171. So I added one Healthy Life 80 cal Whole Wheat bun to my meals a day in the form of a turkey burger with lots of onions! This stopped the loss immediately and my weight has been stable since... I FELT MUCH BETTER!

YOUR BODY WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT YOU MIGHT NEED TO TWEAK! Dont ever go hungry...eat protein! Adding a thumb size amount (last didget on the thumb/1 TBS) is the right amount of healthy fat a person needs a day... so with 2% cheeses & milk products & plain yogurt (Greek for the protein source) you should be good....

Dont modify the plan until you are on phase 2 and only when you can determine what your need may be.... remember this is low fat & NO starchy vegetables.... other than that...EAT AWAY ESPECIALLY PROTEIN....& ladies, I ate eggs like there was no tomorrow! I ALWAYS eat the yolk! There is so many goodies in them & it is a shame to throw them away (did that for years-no wonder why my skin was dry - I feed whole eggs to dogs to give them a smooth healthy skin & coat). I ate them during the attack phase.

Everyone is different... stick to the program & initially if you need to tweak... I would make minor changes but stay away from starchy carbs & things not on the top 100 unless it is a healthy fat & that in moderation.

Hugs!
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
Thanks for the links faithful. Much appreciated. I agree it is very helpful.

Linda, I have decided to use a little bit of butter.. not a lot but some. Since I've low carbed before I find it keeps me better satisfied. Also I am retired on SS and really can't always afford reallly lean cuts of meat and sometimes you just need the flavor. I do not use much salt because of water retention and most FF and LF products seem to make up the taste with salt. So when I get past all this FF/LF of the Attack phase, I may switch over to LF or full depending on the product. However, I will have to see how the plan works for me as it is. You know I used the ice pack in the beginning faithfully(I also find a bag of frozen peas wrapped with a towel works very well) and have been thinking about doing it again when it kind of burns some time below the knee. The muscle in the shin area starts burning when I've stood on it too long... that is when I think of when I used to do WATP and Sandsone would say "Feel that burn?" and I think oh yeah, I'm feeling the burn. So I'm thinking the cold would ease that.

Although my weight stayed the same after eating off yesterday for breakfast, I think I also overdid the Greek yogurt... really like that stuff and so easy to grab a few bites instead of cooking something. I haven't checked the sodium content since it is FF, but I really think I just eat too much of it. I have protein foods cooked and ready for when I'm hungry today so, I'm sure today will be better.

Patty

I will Eat to Live! I will NOT Live to Eat!
I WILL NOT ALLOW FOOD TO HAVE ANY
POWER OVER ME!!!
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Protein amounts

I am on a FB Group where the hostess is a PHD in naturopathic medicine & is also a nutritionist. I thought I would share her insight to protein.

The only source of a complete protein is from animal sources & the necessary amount for us to strive for is 100 mg. She also recommends upward to 240 for ladies & 300 for men. Protein powders can be used to get you up to the ammounts required. This comment was added on additionally when someone asked why it was so high...

"That amount is for people who have been protein deficient and want to lose weight. It's to kick-start the process of switching the metabolism over to using fat as an energy source rather than relying on carbohydrates for quick energy. Use less protein if weight is not an issue and your metabolism is working just fine. Most people are deficient in protein and especially people with fibro who don't eat regular meals or get adequate nutrition."

Just thought you would like to have this info....
Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning everyone. Weight is the same. Going to try to put more variety in my diet today. Still doing Attack and hope to make it through Friday or Sat on it. Just need something more than chicken. Think I'll have fish and eggs today.

Linda I tried the ice on the leg and made it worse. DD came home and I told her how it was feeling. (She worked a number of years for orthopedic) She said it was probably time for heat. Put the heating pad on it and imrpoved tremendously. Will use it off and on today and move it around more.

Have a great day Everybody.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/7/2013
Good Mornin!

iamfaithful: Thank-you so much about your experience and tweaks with Dukan! This information was so reassuring and invaluable to me! I even copied your info out to my Dukan file! I hope you don't mind! Plus the protein info was good too! I was going to ask if you tried to follow the Dukan suggestion of consuming protein equal to your weight number / 2

I was also so impressed on your sucess following Dukan! Wow! I felt like there might be hope for me!

One more question, when you did cruise did you follow the 1/1 or the 5/5 for PV, PP days?

Patty: I'm glad you found something to help your knee! This Thurs. is my last day of physical therapy! I have had physical therapy for 4 weeks and it really has helped me! My muscles and tendons were so tight! Mine is an ongoing problem with how my kneecap tracks. Yours injury sounds like overuse? Is the swelling going down? I hope you recover pronto!

I didn't catch how long you plan for the attack phase. For me, I'm hoping for 7 days. Sounds like your doing good! We can do this!

Everyone have a wonderful day!

Linda
LowCarbMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Patty/Linda some people respond better to heat....I do... dont know why .... It is kinda like a WOE our bodies are so individualized by our Creator we have to find what works for us that we can live with for a lifetime...

As for my PP/PV days... for the short time I was on it I did 2/5 PP/PV again this is something each person can "tweak" for themselves. A lot of people keep Thurs for a PP day when they get to phases 3 & 4.. however, during cruise some like the 2/4 so their weekends with the family can be included in the 4.

You will find what rotation works best for you, any combination will probably work...some better than others... the nice thing is if you have an "off" day where you choose to go "off" for some reason, you can just follow it up with a PP day & go right on living.

Ya'll are doing great.

As for attack it is 1 day for each 10lbs to loose I think, but NOT longer than 7-10 days...

Take care!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

I am doing the 7 days. Friday will be my last day and I will move into alternating 1/1. Saturday will be my 1st PV day and I am so ready for some veggies. Beginning to miss them. I didn't have a perfectly clean 7 days as I did have a planned off meal for breakfast Tuesday after hubby's endoscopy. I will make it through the 7th day. I am proud of myself for only having that one off meal. That is such an accomplishment for this girl.

I just went to Dukan site and to see what they recommend as my goal weight and they have me at 158 so I think I will change my goal to that and then decide when I get there if that is where I want to be. I really believe that by the grace of God that I can do this.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

2 more days before going into the Cruise Phase and I am so ready. Not sure I'll be able to keep the 7 lbs lost because I'm eating too much dairy. I thing when I can have some veggies I'll be able to lose better. Also plan to get off the FF/LF because I need to get rid of the salty foods. I think I have no choice because of the water retention by the end of the day. But I'm hanging in there staying OP. Leg so much better. I plan to keep the heat on it as needed and pray it keeps improving as I'm so ready to get rid of this walker so I can get some much needed things, but I'm so grateful to have it.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Dukaniestas!

Well, my class finished up, daughter almost in school leaving me time to concentrate on the PLAN!!! I need time to psych my self up and get really motivated! I'm gettin there!

Patty: So glad your knee is healing sounds like it's on its way! Wow, your Attach phase is almost over and 7 pounds down is absolutely marvelous. For me, I'm trying to wrap my head around PP days! Have you made any sauces recommended in the book? What has been your go-to meal?

IamFaithful: Thanks for the pointer to the Dukan Info site. I got some ideas on how to break up my PP/VP days that will work for the family! It definitely has a slightly different spin on the diet when compared to the book. Its beginning to seem quite doable!

Everyone have a great day!

----------------------
Linda
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Linda since I've been trying to stay off my knee, I have to say I've not made this as interesting as I could have. I got hooked on the yogurt and kefir to the point that I actually seem to have a craving for the kefir. I also have some 97 or 98% FF ham which I grab and probably has too much sodium. I had given that up on my previous low carbing because of that. Although I did read in the Eades book that when you are switching to low carb trying to get the insulin to go down that water retention is not uncommon. They seem to think when the insulin stabilizes that the water retention goes away as lc levels things. So I'm sure reading the older threads as well as iamfaithful will help us both find better ways to do PP than I did. I hope I can make it more interesting so DH will be interested in doing it for the health reasons.

DD is out of school tomorrow and DH and I may end up going to the store so I'm going to study the Cruise phase and see what I want to eat.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

There is a list of over 100 allowed foods.... when you switch over and add more vegies you will also be adding fiber... remember steamed vegies INCERASE their nutrient values! There is so much you can eat & a little bit of dressing on salads goes a long way... you will only need the taste not the usual amount we used to put on things.

Read back through the threads for Stilldews posts... she started in August last year and by Feb she modified the plan again to "a new normal" WOE. She decided to forgo the Celebration meals as it was not working well for her.... but she also posted lots of good quick recipies (she only has herself to cook for)

Here is a very interesting post from a naturopathic doctor I highly respect. She has a wonderful website & hosts a FB Group for fibromyalgia... she has really helped a lot of people & does it out of love...

Deirdre Rawlings --- "I'm referring to food that contains complete proteins [i.e. all 8 of the essential amino acids -- the body makes the non-essential ones but needs the essential ones which can only come from protein foods]. 220 would be a maximum amount for people who are protein deficient, need to lose weight, or to build their body back up if it is deficient and has been using carbs as a main source of energy. If you are not protein deficient then you would need less -- say around 180 grams keeping in mind that this amount is BEFORE you cook it -- after cooking it will reduce down allot more. I don't agree with the food guide pyramid -- [I call it the 'feed lot pyramid' because its the same high carb ratio they feed to animals to fatten them up for slaughter -- and makes people fat and unhealthy. It is one of the reasons we have epidemic proportions of type 2 diabetes, CDV, and obesity in this country]. xx"
Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

losing my computer access soon.... at least the one up here as Becky wants to take it tomorrow when she comes to get part of her stuff...wish she would do it all at once....

Jon will fix access to his downstairs for me... wont feel bad using it in his room now that she is gone & I actually have free run of my house again...

So, if I am not here everyday it is because he is home & I dont want to bother him.....

Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Good Mornin!

iamfaithful: Definitely will miss your posts cuz you've been so supportive already! Because of you, I think I have enough info to at least get started on my Dukan journey!

Patty: Yay, your last attack day! Then on to PV, I'm sure that sounds great to you right now!!! I wanted to ask, did the diet make you tired? For me, getting the weight off is a top priority, even at the risk of being somewhat tired! I can always take some xtra vitamins, greens for that!

I've been checking out Dukan websites with google and there seems to be alot of them! There are some seemingly good ones with lots of recipes so we won't get bored or feel too deprived!

In Cruise you can have tolerated food, up to two a day. I think this is like a mini-cheat of 25 calories or so. I think if you sign up for coaching they include a list of tolerated food. I don't intend to do that, but I read alot and have maintained an ongoing list to tolerated foods. So anyway there is hope to combat boredom and such!

Hope everyone has a great on plan WOE day!
------------------------
Linda
Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Son got me running on his main computer... just have to use it when he is not in his room...

I think this is like a mini-cheat of 25 calories or so. OK SO I DONT BELIEVE IN CHEATS! You just decieve yourself & you have to change your mind set to I CHOOSE THIS We make good choices & bad choices & not so great ones. Adding tolerated food is a choice. Too long we were "DIETING" & felt we had to cheat to get what we want. Now you are learning eat for the rest of your life & it is by choices not cheats we learn what is good and not so good for us.

I am not getting down on you ladies I just think what you set in your mind is so important to maintaining your goals & reaching them to begin with. If you "cheat" & go up you FEEL GUILTY But if you make an unwise choice & gain you learn what NOT to do.

Hugs ladies!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stilldews
WOE: Dukan
Good to see so many new ones here. I'm another one of those people that have been able to lose pounds on Dukan after being on many other low carb plans that never got all the way to Goal. I think the fact that it is lower in fat also makes it lower in calories and that seems to be the thing I need to really reach goal. I also made sure to add a couple tsp a day of coconut oil or olive oil and that seems to be enough that I didn't have any problems with dry hair or skin. I used mostly fat free cheese and dairy and that cut a lot of calories I used to eat on Atkins.

MyTW according to Dr Dukan is 154. My lowest weight before starting consolidation was 144. Most of the time I vary between 145-147. Afraid I've gotten a little over confident the last couple weeks and today the scale was up to 152. Time to get serious again. I'm planning on doing 3 days of PP and hopefully that will get me back into the mid 40's again. Today I'm eating 4 meals of eggs and nitrate free bacon. Hopefully that will do away with some of the waterweight gain.

Faithful, I'm still laughing about the comments on the ice recipe. So Funny!!

"People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning."
Lao-Tzu
stilldews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

I cant believe we have made it a whole year together, Susan! I quit a month ago when I got to 171... I was eating too much "stuff" around here & wound up with a yeast infection as I had not done that much carbs in a long time. This one is difficult to get rid of-2nd go round on Rx & cream Rx. Learned my lesson. Anyway the batteries went out on the & I feel so liberated not steping on it - it is still in the same place calling me to get batteries but I refuse! Clothes fit better & I feel better about me not being bound by a number just the way my body feels & my clothes fit.

Now that DIL is gone I am able to change the nutrition level in this family. 1st thing is to find ways to get more protein into everyones WOE...starting with the kids (DS is not eating much these days...too upset & losing weight the hardest way ever). They are going to start their mornings with protein of some kind (working on Kristen making egg dishes that "are not egg") & fruit before school. I think she especially is protein difficient & the more I can pack into her mornings the sooner her body will start burning protein and not carbs. Cereal or toast & jelly is not a good breakfast, neither are pancakes without meat or the horrors of pop tarts!!! It will take some doing & on my tight budget it will be hard but Jon will help where he can bt til I get their metabolism altered, I dont want him to realize the changes I am making...he has so many things on his plate right now...However, he will save a small fortune not buying FAKE FOOD. Being grand MOTHER is going to be a wonderful challenge...no wonder why my health was restored & I never felt lead to try to find something outside of my home to keep me busy.

It is time to start a new thread....I have to do this tonigt....Dreaming up a new idea for a title.... I may have just found it.... Will post in a few...

I thought the comments on the Ice Recipe were priceless...people have such vivid imaginations!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 08-31-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Old 08-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

OK~ya'll come on over!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/or...t-decline.html
Old 09-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

I didn't make the 7 days on Dukan because my stomach would not take any more protein. Ended up with a terrible case of GERD. So I won't be continuing the plan at this time. I am back to counting calories for now until I get my stomach straightened out. Good luck everyone.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

I am sorry Ladies the new Sept thread got posted under Orgaic Eating. (My mistake) I will see if Admin can move it back to "Other Plans" Til then you can find it undre the link above.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

September thread restart... or OOPS! Something went wrong!

Dukaniestas Dreaming up Determination for Deliberate Weight Decline - Dukan WOE

The other continuous thread I started was under the wrong section...it fell under Organic & Natural eating...

I opened the new thread above so everyone could find it... what happened....

Looking for all of you on the new thread... we will see how continuous works... if ya'll would like to go back to monthly... someone can start a new one in October.... Hugs!