Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
Did anyone take part in the online chats this week on the TOPS site? I went in and chatted with some people before the program started but by 9:30 I was falling alseep and it didn't start til 10 my time so I had to skip it. I will have to print out the transcripts.
I totally forgot about it! I will have to read the transcripts. I have never participated in the online chats but would like to try it sometime.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #122
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I am kind of excited I saw an ad for TOPS in my local newspaper, it is a group that meets in a church on Wed. nights. I could make it next Wed., but the following Wed. I will be on vacation. Do you all think I should just wait to until I am back from vacation to check it out?

Also I am a little confused as to the food plan. The TOPS website seems to have a daily plate plan, but I thought I had heard you could pick your own plan.

Last edited by jeaniem; 05-23-2013 at 06:35 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
You can go check it out on Wednesday, and if you like it, go the Wednesday after your vacation and actually sign up. You don't even have to weigh in the first time you go. Just tell them you want to see what they are all about and might come back after vacation. I wouldn't see any problem with that.
Regarding the food plan, they suggest an exchange system (a certain number of fats, meats, etc. for whatever calorie plan you want to be on). You do not have to follow that at all. You could just track calories if you want, do low carb, whatever works for you. Basically, I don't know anyone who comes to my meetings trying to find out WHAT exactly they should be eating. It's more of getting general tips, motivation and support. I'm sure Dianne could add to this! Good luck in whatever you decide, jeanie!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You can go check it out on Wednesday, and if you like it, go the Wednesday after your vacation and actually sign up. You don't even have to weigh in the first time you go. Just tell them you want to see what they are all about and might come back after vacation. I wouldn't see any problem with that.
Regarding the food plan, they suggest an exchange system (a certain number of fats, meats, etc. for whatever calorie plan you want to be on). You do not have to follow that at all. You could just track calories if you want, do low carb, whatever works for you. Basically, I don't know anyone who comes to my meetings trying to find out WHAT exactly they should be eating. It's more of getting general tips, motivation and support. I'm sure Dianne could add to this! Good luck in whatever you decide, jeanie!
I agree with what Kismet said. Visit next week and if you like it, join after vacation.

TOPS has a suggested exchange system or the Daily Plate but they are only suggestions. You are welcome to do whatever kind of diet you would like. The awesome thing about TOPS is the support, friendship, motivation, etc. There are contests and other incentives to help you along the way. It is nice to belong to a group where everyone is struggling with the same issues. I have lost weight a number of times over my life but I have never kept it off for very long at all. I always regained the weight plus more. After joining TOPS, I lost 120 lb. and have kept it off for over 5 years. The accountability of the weekly weigh-in keeps me on track. I will go to TOPS for the rest of my life. I had never ever thought I could maintain weight loss and I found out I can. Visit the meeting and if you don't think it is a good fit, there are probably other TOPS chapters in the area. Our small little town has 2 different chapters and larger towns have more. Good luck and let us know how the visit goes.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html

Last edited by NWLoser; 05-24-2013 at 12:42 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Kismet and Dianne. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #126
Big Yapper!!!!

I went to the TOPS group last night. It was a little boring and they said that they don't do much other than meet weekly, some go out to dinner after the meeting or exercise together. My sister went with me and we will join when I am able to go again in two weeks. I don't like that I have to go to the Dr. for a weight range note
Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jeanie. You don't have to have the goal weight slip right away. It is just something that has to be done so they can determine when you reach goal. If this group is boring, consider visiting another chapter. The chapters vary a lot depending on the members. You don't want a weight range goal you need an exact number. That will determine your weight range. For example: my goal slip weight says 115 lb. That was turned in to TOPS. When you reach that goal you are then a KOPS, Keep Off Pounds Sensibly. When you are a KOPS you can have a weight 7 lb. under your goal and up to 3 lb. over goal. So my weight range is 108-118.

You can go to a variety of health people for the goal weight including a nurse, chiropractor, etc.

Hope you find a good chapter.

How is everyone else doing?

Last edited by NWLoser; 05-30-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

I have a question about the weight slip. A member gave me a slip with a "range" not ONE number (like 120-125). Do I give it back and tell her to get another one? I am going to look in the manual but so far didn't find anything specific.

I too am dreading going to the doctor for my goal slip. I am a few lbs away from the goal I gave myself...so I'm thinking I should get it soon but I do NOT go to doctors unless I'm falling down sick! I hate them!!!!!!!!!!! (no offense to any doctors here!!!).
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Just a run by. It has to be an exact number or TOPS will not accept it. So yes, give it back and explain that to her.

If you look at the chapter manual there is an explanation of who can write the weight goal. I will find the page when I get back from TOPS. Just about ready.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Dianne. I have the manual and was just leafing through it but couldn't find it. I'm sure I will find it if I look again.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Kismet it is on page 33 of the new pages of the manual. You should have received new replacement pages recently.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Hi Jeanie. You don't have to have the goal weight slip right away. It is just something that has to be done so they can determine when you reach goal. If this group is boring, consider visiting another chapter. The chapters vary a lot depending on the members. You don't want a weight range goal you need an exact number. That will determine your weight range. For example: my goal slip weight says 115 lb. That was turned in to TOPS. When you reach that goal you are then a KOPS, Keep Off Pounds Sensibly. When you are a KOPS you can have a weight 7 lb. under your goal and up to 3 lb. over goal. So my weight range is 108-118.

You can go to a variety of health people for the goal weight including a nurse, chiropractor, etc.

Hope you find a good chapter.

Thanks Diane.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Hmm, didn't receive any replacement pages. I will have to ask the leader.
Well, my group went to SRD this past weekend. I didn't go but maybe next year. The problem is that they told us where it will be and it is pretty far away. Will be a miracle if I can get off from work. If I am a KOPS I will go free!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Kismet, the headquarters sent 2 sets of replacement pages for the chapter manuals. If more are needed you can download & print from the website or order for $2? I think. It is enough pages that I am going to send for some for my other officers. It would take way to much ink to make 4 more sets.

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Dianne. I will look on the site. I'm so glad SRD is over with. That's all they talked about for weeks!! The new members were complaining to me that they were bored! Well, it should get better now (until we talk about FRD LOL).

I had another small this week but every bit counts! I have a little over 5 lbs to go to get to my goal!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

My sister and I decided to join next Wed. The leader said she had nothing to give us in regards to literature, but said there was something new out that she would order for us. What should we expect? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Dianne. I will look on the site. I'm so glad SRD is over with. That's all they talked about for weeks!! The new members were complaining to me that they were bored! Well, it should get better now (until we talk about FRD LOL).

I had another small this week but every bit counts! I have a little over 5 lbs to go to get to my goal!
If only a few were going to SRD it should not be the topic at the meeting. JMHO. We keep it short or talk about it outside of the meeting. We have sone kind of program and or presentation each week even if very short. Our members need supportive info.

Every small loss is great!! KUTGW!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
My sister and I decided to join next Wed. The leader said she had nothing to give us in regards to literature, but said there was something new out that she would order for us. What should we expect? Thanks.
I am not sure what you should expect. At our chapter we have a visitor packet and a new member packet we give out. There is lots of info about TOPS and its goals. There is a booklet they give called My Day One with lots of info. You should get that. We also give copies of old TOPS magazines which are very inspirational. The TOPS website is loaded with information.

Good luck!!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

I was top loser tonight down 3.5 lbs! Won the quarter basket
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Jeanie!!! that's awesome! You are on your way to goal What did you think of the meeting/members??

I have had a busy week. Barely had any "fun" time on my computer. Lots more work to do until Friday then off for 2 weeks. Won't have to go back to work until July 8th!!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Kismet I am enjoying the meeting now that I have warmed up a bit. All the members are really nice and supportive. There is one KOPS member there that is 96 years old! She is slim and still works in her garden and dances one night a week!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie - awesome! It sounds like you have a good group. Our state just lost a 102 yr. old TOPS member this last year. She had been a KOPS for something like 46 years and still attended the yearly SRD. It was very inspiring. I think a 96 yr. old would be equally inspiring especially with all the activities she does.

Glad to hear your news.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

We have 2 Kops in their 80s and they are never out of leeway. We should all take a lesson from these wise ladies! Anytime they speak at a meeting Imake sure I listen up.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Kismet, the headquarters sent 2 sets of replacement pages for the chapter manuals. If more are needed you can download & print from the website or order for $2? I think. It is enough pages that I am going to send for some for my other officers. It would take way to much ink to make 4 more sets.

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Hey Dianne! Do you know where on the website I can find the replacement pages? I looked in the members area but couldn't find them.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Kismet. I just looked on the website and I couldn't find it either. You can send for a complete manual for $2.00 from the TOPS store. It would probably be better anyway as there are so many pages to print. Your TOPS chapter should have several copies available. Ideally all officers should have one.

How are things going for you?

I am doing fine. Still under goal for the year. I was just reading the TOPS news about the lady who has been in KOPS leeway for 27 years and is now 102. I want that to be me! I have never been out of leeway and I want to keep it that way.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #146
Big Yapper!!!!

I am doing pretty well, lost another 1.5 pounds this week. Trying to not let the scale mess with my head too much as the TOPS scale weighs heavier than mine mostly due to the fact that by 6:45 pm. I weigh at least 3-4 pounds more than I did at home in the morning. I know the night weight will trend down as I lose but it is still kind of messes with my head.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Dianne. I will ask my leader about the manual. There is no meeting next week due to the 4th of July.
I am still losing slowly but only a few pounds away from my goal. It is so hard to lose the last few!!
Great job on your loss jeanie! Just stick with it and you will get results. I know how it is with late meetings. I usually weigh in around 5:30 then eat something at the meeting since I don't get home til around 8pm to have dinner. I typically don't eat much during the day of my weigh in. I make sure I always wear the same clothes every week so that my weigh ins are accurate. People are always complaining to me that they gained because their dress/belt/underwear/bra was too heavy LOL Well, I figure if I wear the same thing every week I will have no excuses to give myself! I guess the people who have meetings at 9am have it easier than us but just do the best you can.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Dianne. I will ask my leader about the manual. There is no meeting next week due to the 4th of July.
I am still losing slowly but only a few pounds away from my goal. It is so hard to lose the last few!!
Great job on your loss jeanie! Just stick with it and you will get results. I know how it is with late meetings. I usually weigh in around 5:30 then eat something at the meeting since I don't get home til around 8pm to have dinner. I typically don't eat much during the day of my weigh in. I make sure I always wear the same clothes every week so that my weigh ins are accurate. People are always complaining to me that they gained because their dress/belt/underwear/bra was too heavy LOL Well, I figure if I wear the same thing every week I will have no excuses to give myself! I guess the people who have meetings at 9am have it easier than us but just do the best you can.
I could have wrote this post. I wear the same clothes every week, I don't eat much as we weigh at 5:30 and I snack before the meeting after weighing. I don't usually get home until 8 pm either.

The last few pounds are the hardest! I had to watch calories to make goal. Then over the last few years I have upped the calories quite a bit to find where the right amount to maintain is at. I can comfortably eat 1400 and maintain and even eat up to 1800 at times or more! LOL! If I am up a pound or so then I go to eating 1100 or so for a day or two. It has worked well for me as I have never been out of leeway. This year has been under goal entire year, the first 4 years was under goal entirely. Last year for some reason I spent a number of times in the leeway above goal which is fine but I don't like. LOL!

The chapter should buy you a copy of the chapter manual.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I am doing pretty well, lost another 1.5 pounds this week. Trying to not let the scale mess with my head too much as the TOPS scale weighs heavier than mine mostly due to the fact that by 6:45 pm. I weigh at least 3-4 pounds more than I did at home in the morning. I know the night weight will trend down as I lose but it is still kind of messes with my head.
Good Job Jeanie! That is great. Don't let that number get to you. You will always weigh more in the evening than in the morning. I usually weigh 2-3 lb. more in the evening than in the morning.

Have a great weekend!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

How is everyone surviving the heat? I have been walking less due to the weather (either HOT HOT HOT or RAIN RAIN RAIN). I was off from work for 2 weeks but now I'm back and will be more active. Hope everyone is doing well!