Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #421
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ylodazy
WOE: No Sugar, No Starch
Start Date: August 13 2013
3rd meeting

Got back for my meeting this week -- down a bit more, so that's cool. This week was dress up for Halloween and people brought candy, cookies, pretzels, etc! Not tempting, thank goodness, and I can see that for calorie counters who are eating low fat, it's a matter of just counting. But yuck.

Jeanniem, I just joined my group recently, got a folder with a copy of the charter and rules, a couple of Tops magazines, and a full member list with names, phone numbers, and email addresses. I guess it must vary a lot from one group to another.

It costs me 25 cents not to write down what I eat! but at least one person is interested on how I do low carb. And I feel Ike the real win with this group is to have accountability, a non judgmental weekly weigh in, with either applause or "we're glad you're here". That's powerful stuff.
Ylodazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylodazy View Post
Got back for my meeting this week -- down a bit more, so that's cool. This week was dress up for Halloween and people brought candy, cookies, pretzels, etc! Not tempting, thank goodness, and I can see that for calorie counters who are eating low fat, it's a matter of just counting. But yuck.

Jeanniem, I just joined my group recently, got a folder with a copy of the charter and rules, a couple of Tops magazines, and a full member list with names, phone numbers, and email addresses. I guess it must vary a lot from one group to another.

It costs me 25 cents not to write down what I eat! but at least one person is interested on how I do low carb. And I feel Ike the real win with this group is to have accountability, a non judgmental weekly weigh in, with either applause or "we're glad you're here". That's powerful stuff.
Wow - candy, cookies, pretzels! That seems so counter-productive. It would never happen at our group.
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanniem, you should ask your group if they furnish a list of names of the members, rules, etc. I thought all groups were required or at least it is suggested to give this information out to the members.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Halloween!!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Wow - candy, cookies, pretzels! That seems so counter-productive. It would never happen at our group.
We had a Halloween brunch on Tuesday morning and for the most part it was prety healthy but someomne did bring chocolate chip cookies and someone else brought a package of candy corn.
tomswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
We did not celebrate But our leader brought Fruit on a pick that was layered to look like candy corn & for me she brought cheese that was layered too.. So thoughtful...
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
We had a weigh in only on Halloween and only a few people showed up.
We are going over the TOPS Food Exchange guidelines and it kills me that for 1200 calories a day I'm supposed to only have 2 servings of vegetables but they put starches at 5???? I really have to bite my tongue at the meetings when they go over this stuff.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
They as far as I know have never brought up the food exchange.. But they all know that it would not change a thing for me Hope you all are doing WONDERFUL!!!!! Being good to yourself...
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

I will be going to our Fall Officer's workshop tomorrow! Hope it is helpful and fun!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
We had a weigh in only on Halloween and only a few people showed up.
We are going over the TOPS Food Exchange guidelines and it kills me that for 1200 calories a day I'm supposed to only have 2 servings of vegetables but they put starches at 5???? I really have to bite my tongue at the meetings when they go over this stuff.
We have only touched on it briefly. There are several others in my chapter that watch their carb intake. So we actually talk about it in the meetings. When people are gaining or not losing we suggest cutting back the carbs.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

How is everyone doing? I wanted to wish every one a blessed Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Do you have strategies on eating tomorrow so you won't be mad on Friday on overindulging on Thursday? Don't forget to drink a large glass of water before you eat. That will help fill you up so you don't eat as much. If you want to taste that fabulous dessert, just take a bite. It is said that the first bite is the most satisfying.

For me, if I smell it, I am satisfied. I know it is weird but I think I read that 70% or more of the taste is from the smell. JMHO.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Just found this on the internet.

Is most of taste really smell?

Well, it depends on how you define the terms "taste" and "smell." The way most people use "taste," to mean the sensations experienced when eating a food or drinking a beverage, smell is definitely a large portion of the experience. If, however, you define the terms "taste" and "smell" more scientifically, so that taste refers to the sensations elicited by stimulation of the taste receptor cells and smell refers to the stimulation of olfactory neuron, then these are independent senses, both of which play an important role in the experiencing of foods and beverages. A more scientifically accurate statement would be that "Most of flavor is smell," where flavor is defined as the combination of sensations experienced when eating or drinking, especially, taste, smell, and chemesthesis

It is interesting. The last 7 years if I have wanted to know how something tasted that I didn't want to eat, I have smelled it. My husband is used to it now and lets me smell his food if I ask such as a brownie, etc.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,
So Tuesday is our TOPS Christmas party. We always do a brunch, we all bring a dish, and then a gift exchange. Since I've been coleader I've tried to make things different and fun. Our officers when I first joined, although really nice people, were quite boring. Anyway, I'm at a loss as to how to do the giftchange. In the past everyone was given a number if they brought a gift. as your number was called you went and picked out a gift. Boring :-) Last year we did the wright family Christmas. It was ok. Everyone has made it quite clear they didn't want to do the steal a gift type olf exchange. What do you guys do at your party? Anything exciting and different?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #433
Major LCF Poster!

We do a dirty santa where you get to steal the gifts. I guess you could do some sort of game like, "The person who has the longest hair picks first" then "the person who's birthday is closest to Christmas picks second", etc. You can make up whatever you want really.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all!! Hope everyone had a nice Christmas for those who celebrate. I had a lovely time with family but ate wayyyyyyyy to much and wouldn't you know it...weigh in tonight LOLOLOL Oh well, I'm not going to be too upset with myself if I have a gain tonight. I did not weigh myself all week. We are working on our Resumes tonight so we will be pretty busy and only have a weigh in with no meeting. How is everyone doing with the holidays and their eating??? Check in when you can!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #435
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,
Hope everyone is having a happy new year so far. So one thing that I've been doing since I became an officer is at the end of the year I write down everyones ending weight for the year. Then I write down the weight they were at the beginning of the year. Then I give it to them with a little poem. It's only for their eyes(and mine :-)) unless they wish to share. 2 years ago we had someone lose 30 pounds within the year. It's always a surprise as we're going up and down throughout the year to see it compared like that. I was so disapointed to see this year. Most (no matter how much they have to lose) stayed within a few pounds of weight they were at the biginning of the year. One gal that has over a hundred pounds to lose gained 28 pounds in the year. And her husband gained 17. The most anyone lost was 10 pounds. I'm not downplaying that because that allowed her to become a KOPS but as the coleader I have done so many motivating things and I feel like it's all been for nothing. If I can't motivate them then what am I doing here. Maybe the only thing that will help is if I got off my butt and started losing weight myself. I lost 5 pounds in the year which is bad since I have 120 pounds to lose. Anyway, anyone have any words of wisdom for me.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Susan! I hear you. Our chapter had a really bad year. The best loser of the year lost 14.5 lbs. but she has about 100 more to lose so not great. We actually ended up with a chapter gain. So we were feeling bad and decided to start the year off with a bang.

I presented part 1 of 3 programs to jumpstart everyone's weight loss. I made up a booklet of carbs in foods and gave them out. We talked about how cutting carbs not necessarily lowcarb would help them lose weight. I challenged each one to keep a food diary this week and choose one of 3 plans. I said just counting carbs and keeping them between 50 and 100, counting calories or using the TOPS exchange system. Everyone seemed very enthusiastic and ready to start losing. It was the best beginning of a year we have had. So I will report next week the results.

The booklet showed a carb pyramid that is great. It shows vegetables as the top source of carbs, then fresh fruits, berries, nuts and seeds; then sweet potatoes, yams & pumpkin with the least amount from whole grains and potatoes. It can be found at freedieting. I think it helped a lot!

So hopefully some of this might work with your group.

I said last night would you go on a trip to the unknown without a map or GPS. Of course not! Will you need something like that to lose weight.

Good luck and I will report on the results of this.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
Hello all!! Hope everyone had a nice Christmas for those who celebrate. I had a lovely time with family but ate wayyyyyyyy to much and wouldn't you know it...weigh in tonight LOLOLOL Oh well, I'm not going to be too upset with myself if I have a gain tonight. I did not weigh myself all week. We are working on our Resumes tonight so we will be pretty busy and only have a weigh in with no meeting. How is everyone doing with the holidays and their eating??? Check in when you can!
Hi Kismet! I didn't do so well this year with my eating! But this is a new year and I will get back under goal. I am in leeway and I hate it!

Good to see you!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bwylde
Stats: (405 highest) 385/365/200
WOE: Low Carb, TOPS
Start Date: January 2014
Is anyone still here? Please allow me to babble

I joined TOPS and have been going about a month (only two meetings so far because of stormy weather). I have been working really hard and been very dedicated but I am not losing weight. I have lot to lose and I'm used to it falling off me at the start of trying. I guess I got used to how well low carbing works. But I never had any weight loss support IRL so I would fail.

My first meeting, they didn't have a scale to accommodate me. I was cheerful about it but really, I felt like dying inside. I mean the reason I'm going is to lose weight so I shouldn't loose heart, right? But it was kind of embarrassing to start out that way. So I was 380 at home the day I started. The first week, 10lbs came right off, then right back on. I have been using My Plate on Livestrong to keep track of my food intake, water, exercise, ect... since I wasn't given any info except a book to borrow (my bad, I need to read it). I have been well within my ranges but I am hungry and find myself wasting too many calories on carby things. I am eating 1900-2000 calories a day with a 25% fat, 25% protein, 50% carb ratio, which should yield 2 pound a week loss. But it's not.

So I have been thinking this past week if this isn't working for me, why am I suffering because it's hard! Low carbing is easier for me because when I do it, I find I am not hungry. I may have cravings but they pass because I know if it's something I can't have, I can't have it. Every thing in moderation doesn't work for me or I wouldn't be this heavy.

I suspect that I may be gluten intolerant but have been unable to get tested (I don't have a doctor but may have one by May). I find I feel so much better when I avoid things with gluten/flour/ect... but it is hard to resist the way I'm going. So I am also doing this for that reason.

Another is, you can't argue with what works. I am going to TOPS for support, I will low carb to lose weight. Different diets work for different people. I need to do what works for me but I need to be weighed and accountable to someone so I can make it work. I am hoping that the two together can work.

I want to write more but I don't want to write a novel, lol! Anyway, I'm hoping to find low carb support from other TOPS members here . I love my group, they are a bunch of great ladies and even though I'm much younger, I enjoy it so much.

Oh yeah, and my 9 year old daughter is also going. She is 5'3 and started at 167lbs. She is doing great just exercising/playing more and cutting down on her snacking (down 7lbs!). I want her to be able to get a handle on things at a young age so she doesn't have to suffer like I had to. It's harder the older and bigger you get!

It is better to do something instead of nothing at all. Every step we make is progress!

Last edited by bwylde; 02-05-2014 at 02:14 PM..
bwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome bwylde!

I love TOPS for the accountability but I would never be able to lose on the suggested diet. But that said, TOPS lets you choose what diet works for you. So I have been doing low carb since I began in December 2006. I have lost 120 lb. and kept it off almost 6 years now. In April will be my 6th KOPS anniversary.

We give our joining members a whole packet of information so they don't go home empty handed. Maybe you could get old copies of the TOPS magazines as they are very inspiring.

I advise you to do low carb and go to weekly meetings. We purchased a scale a few years ago that goes to 600 lb. so that no one would ever attend and not be able to weigh.

Lets get this thread busy again as it is nice to have that daily support!

Good for your daughter!

I wanted to add that I have a total problem with portion control and carbs. So for me it is best to just not eat them. I binge when I start eating carbs. We talk about carbs in our group. Everyone whether they are doing low carb or not benefit with cutting down on them. Our society has become huge carb consumers.

I hope you will be active on this thread and we can once again have it a great place to share.

HUGS!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

Hi and thanks for the welcome! I thought I replied but I guess I didn't. Congrats on your sucess! I'm sure it was hard but very worth it!!! 6 years KOPS is amazing!!

Today is my first day back low carab officially. I am 372 on my scale this morning. We didn't have our meeting this week as we were in the middle of a storm. I think my Dad will be joining soon, which will be good

I agree with you on the we've become a society of carb consumers. It drives me crazy it's about the carbs. It's cheap, easy filler. I found most of my meals were carb based so I could save on the fat. While doing it, I knew it wasn't right because carbs aren't filling and I inherently know that fat is not bad. It was making me feel for doing what I knew was backwards.

I know it's going to be hard so I might be in here a bit. Sometimes I need a little hand holding when it gets hard and I know it will be.

Today I was so excited to have eggs fried in butter for breakfast! It's literally one of my favorite foods; I could eat them every day and never tire of them. Ribs for lunch and chicken for supper with low carb veggie sides. I feel so blessed eating such wonderful things after the way I've been eating with hardly any meat. No wonder I was always hungry.

I also plan on always tracking what I eat. I think that is often the measure between sucess and failure for me. Every bite, it all counts. It helps avoid the carb creep that happens when I get lax, which always happens. I want to succeed this time and I have the tools, I just need to do it!!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

We had a meeting this week. I decided to be smart and bring my scale. Well, I weighed 5lbs more there than I did here, probably because the scale wasn't properly calibrated from being moved/on a different kind of surface and I couldn't get it just right. Oh well, I'm not worried about the numbers too much as long as it's down. It was still a 6lbs loss . My daughter stayed the same. I figured it would give me a little leeway since I was planning to cheat on Valentines Day. It didn't affect my weight today and I have been drinking lots of water so I'm not sure what it will be in a few days.

Today I bought myself a huge water bottle, 1.6L so I will be sure to get my water in
Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde View Post
Hi and thanks for the welcome! I thought I replied but I guess I didn't. Congrats on your sucess! I'm sure it was hard but very worth it!!! 6 years KOPS is amazing!!

Today is my first day back low carab officially. I am 372 on my scale this morning. We didn't have our meeting this week as we were in the middle of a storm. I think my Dad will be joining soon, which will be good

I agree with you on the we've become a society of carb consumers. It drives me crazy it's about the carbs. It's cheap, easy filler. I found most of my meals were carb based so I could save on the fat. While doing it, I knew it wasn't right because carbs aren't filling and I inherently know that fat is not bad. It was making me feel for doing what I knew was backwards.

I know it's going to be hard so I might be in here a bit. Sometimes I need a little hand holding when it gets hard and I know it will be.

Today I was so excited to have eggs fried in butter for breakfast! It's literally one of my favorite foods; I could eat them every day and never tire of them. Ribs for lunch and chicken for supper with low carb veggie sides. I feel so blessed eating such wonderful things after the way I've been eating with hardly any meat. No wonder I was always hungry.

I also plan on always tracking what I eat. I think that is often the measure between sucess and failure for me. Every bite, it all counts. It helps avoid the carb creep that happens when I get lax, which always happens. I want to succeed this time and I have the tools, I just need to do it!!
You sound like you are ready and willing to go! Good luck.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde View Post
We had a meeting this week. I decided to be smart and bring my scale. Well, I weighed 5lbs more there than I did here, probably because the scale wasn't properly calibrated from being moved/on a different kind of surface and I couldn't get it just right. Oh well, I'm not worried about the numbers too much as long as it's down. It was still a 6lbs loss . My daughter stayed the same. I figured it would give me a little leeway since I was planning to cheat on Valentines Day. It didn't affect my weight today and I have been drinking lots of water so I'm not sure what it will be in a few days.

Today I bought myself a huge water bottle, 1.6L so I will be sure to get my water in
Good for you! 6 lbs. is awesome. I always say staying the same is also a victory for your daughter. You guys are doing great!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks . I was down 2lbs this week and daughter was up 2.5. Darn valentines day. I could have lost more if not for that buffet/full day of overindulgance and days of getting the sodium out of me and it was a treaty week for DD. This week our poison food is sweets, no problem for me, big for DD but she's doing great! She is even snacking less and on healthier things when she does so I think she will see a loss this week

I left my scale in the car. I am getting too obsessed by it, stepping on it every time I walk by it. I was, again, a few lbs less at home than there. I can't wait to get to 350 so I can just weigh there normally. Oh well, not much longer if I keep at it!

I've also had some instances where I let my emotions control me. I tried to remember the TOPS pledge but last night the chips were louder . Just too stressed and looking for an excuse, I guess. I am back at it today. Low carbing will only work as well as I let it and I need to take control because I am the only one putting food in my mouth!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 AM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

I lost 4lbs this week and DD lost 3.5!! SO amazing and I"m so proud of her. Cutting out sweets really helped and she said she wants to eat less of them now (because she doesn't want to give them up). I didn't step on the scale all week so had no clue how I did. We also didn't exercise much. So unmotivated.

Then yesterday we got home and had a treat (chocolate peanut butter poptart *cries*). Then I had a couple more treats . I literally had to stop myself and ask why I was eating stuff I know I shouldn't. So I was able to stop myself before I got totally out of control. The whole "You can't have sweets" made me want them even more (poison food). I don't do good with being told what I can and can't do. I do what I want, sometimes with disastrous results, lol!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

YOOHOO!! Where is everyone? Hope you are all doing well! Anyone go to their SRD this year?
Old 06-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, it has been quiet. I went to SRD this year. I was excited cause it was so close to us this year I actually got 7 to go with me. Unfortuanately it was also one of the worse I've been to. It was held in a less populated area so in the past we've had an average of 2000 people this one had around 400. So they took the oppurtunity to make it subpar. The 7 people that went this year had never been before and they said they won't go to another one.
Too bad. But I still plan on going next year.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #448
Major LCF Poster!

Nice to see you tomswife!

I did not go to SRD this year for a few reasons (one being it was on the opposite end of the state!!! Sooo far away!!) but hopefully I can go next year and be a KOPS finally!! My chapter pays for KOPS at SRD so I would only have to pay for meals and they would pay for the hotel/registration. That is a real incentive to make KOPS!! We have been doing tons of fundraising so we have a lot of money in our treasury to spend.
within the next 2-3 months I will have to go to the doctor and get a goal slip. I am trying to get to a comfortable (but low) weight and see if I can maintain it for a bit before I go crazy and make a goal that is too low and impossible to maintain. 3 of our KOPS lost their status so I know how hard it is to maintain. I do not want to be one of those!!!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

HELLO TOPS FRIENDS!! I hope everyone is doing well. Happy Thanksgiving and hope to see some of you around!