Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Good morn Hope you all had a wonderful long week-end.. I did not make it to my meeting yesterday Just feeling, as my Mom would say so "unnecessary". Oh well on to another week this one better than the last
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #272
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I am supposed to go back to meeting tonight after a month away. I have a gain. probably 4 pounds this month. I like to use the meetings for accountability, but I really don't enjoy the meetings TBH. I am trying to decide if I want to go back or just pay it off.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #273
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirt-N-Flowers
Stats: 189.2/171.4/145 -- 68yo - 5'1.5"
WOE: LowCarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveControl View Post
I am supposed to go back to meeting tonight after a month away. I have a gain. probably 4 pounds this month. I like to use the meetings for accountability, but I really don't enjoy the meetings TBH. I am trying to decide if I want to go back or just pay it off.
Sorry you don't enjoy your meetings. Ours can be boring at times but I know what would happen if I stopped going. I would immediately start gaining. I also believe the more involved I am the more I show up for meetings whether I have a gain or loss. Hopefully you find the right answer for yourself.

Juanice
Dirt-N-Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #274
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybeeanna View Post
Good morn Hope you all had a wonderful long week-end.. I did not make it to my meeting yesterday Just feeling, as my Mom would say so "unnecessary". Oh well on to another week this one better than the last
Don't know how to do multiple quotes in one post. A wee technically challenged.

Wish we had a switch to cut the negative feelings off. As you said this is another week and hopefully it will be a better one.

Juanice
Old 09-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sometimes I have to make myself go & it's double hard with a gain. I really like most all the people in my little group {12} But the programs sometimes go so against how I eat lol, That it is hard to look forward to. Hoping you find what works for you. I know how hard it is to find the motivation to do something you are not happy doing..
Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Juanice, That negative switch has been on for so long in my life that a gallon of W-D 40 couldn't get it to flip But I am working on it.. Have a wonderful day
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #277
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.6/?
WOE: lc
I am bored at mine as well. I hate the night weigh in as of course it is always a few pounds up from my actual morning weight. I know it trends down anyway but it still messes with my head. I don't like the talk about starving and not drinking all day to make weight either that is bad thinking for me while I am trying to overcome binge eating.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie, I know just where you are coming from, I have the same problem and I really don't think there is an easy way past it, just a day, sometimes a minute at a time. "What do I want more" has become my saving phrase lol Not that it always works but sometimes
Old 09-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Quote:
Hi Curve. I hope you do go back as it is such a slippery slope to gaining back more by avoiding the scale and meetings. I know people who have dropped out of our chapter after reaching goal and gaining it all back.

I am sorry you don't like your meetings. Have you tried getting involved and doing some programs, etc?
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-N-Flowers View Post
Sorry you don't enjoy your meetings. Ours can be boring at times but I know what would happen if I stopped going. I would immediately start gaining. I also believe the more involved I am the more I show up for meetings whether I have a gain or loss. Hopefully you find the right answer for yourself.

Juanice
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I am bored at mine as well. I hate the night weigh in as of course it is always a few pounds up from my actual morning weight. I know it trends down anyway but it still messes with my head. I don't like the talk about starving and not drinking all day to make weight either that is bad thinking for me while I am trying to overcome binge eating.
I have a night time meeting also. I just count the morning weight in my head and the night time is my TOPS weight. I have never heard anyone at our meeting talking about not drinking and starving all day. That is not good. I have problems with binge eating and that is not something you need to hear. I suggest if the meetings are boring that you volunteer to do some fun skit or fun program.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sometimes I have to make myself go & it's double hard with a gain. I really like most all the people in my little group {12} But the programs sometimes go so against how I eat lol, That it is hard to look forward to. Hoping you find what works for you. I know how hard it is to find the motivation to do something you are not happy doing..
It is hard to go when you have a gain. But I do think that is the most important time to go and be honest with yourself. I just ignore anything we talk about that is not the way I eat. I also try to let everyone know at the time, that we all have our own way of eating and just because someone is presenting something, we do not have to follow it.

You are doing so well!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Just a note: the following is totally my opinion and hopefully no one takes it personally as I am just writing what I have experienced/observed.

I am the leader of my chapter. When I joined almost 7 years ago, the meetings were boring. I still attended for the support and all the contests.

I attended some TOPS workshops and learned a lot of ideas to make the meetings more fun. Any member could do some of these. It does not have to be the leader. We take turns presenting the program.

For example: you are presenting a program on how much sugar is in an average daily meal for an American. Instead of reading the information in a monotone, this is what I did. I dressed up like a sheriff and had a badge that said I was the "sugar sheriff". I said I was there to round up those onery critters meaning extra carbs/sugar. I then told a few facts but still talking/acting like a "sheriff". Then I said I want you all to watch how many critters I can spot in an average day of eating. I preceded to give what was eaten for breakfast and had a helper measure out how much sugar/carbs would be in it when I announced it. We had a container of sugar and a bowl and measuring spoons. Then I went through the whole day. It was quite a visual and the members loved it. I then deputized them all to find those onery critters and ban them from their eating. It was all in fun but it has been one of the favorite programs I have done. I have now done it 4 times with a little spin on it each time. I even did it for another chapter.

Now you might be thinking that sounds weird. But you can take any TOPS program and make it fun with visuals, etc. That is what they taught us in a workshop. Our meetings are not "fun" every week but we try. Everyone looks forward to what we are going to do.

TOPS should be fun. So if yours isn't, maybe you can try some of these ideas. JMHO.

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Dianne, TY.. I know that this go round I have gotten more involved {did the center piece & name tags-fall rally}I also am the {clown} of our group. I do look forward to Mon, most of the time, I really like the ladies.. I fight depression & sometimes it wins. We have really good discussions when my way of eating is brought up Most of the ladies are over 65 and live by the low fat mantra. I will never change their way of eating & don't plan on trying so yes if you can get in there and mix it up..
Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #285
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Dianne. I really want to try something to make it more interesting thanks for your input. I am not sure how dedicated our leader is a couple of weeks ago she said she was out shopping and lost track of time and never showed up to lead the meeting. Members called her cell and home phone, but she never answered or returned the calls.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie, maybe when the next election comes around you all can have a new leader.. one can only hope.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #287
Junior LCF Member

I can't imagine losing track of my TOPS meeting. Everyone knows that from 4:00 until around 8:15 on Mondays I am busy with my group. I am weight recorder so I am the first at the meeting site. After the meeting several go out to eat. I am happy to report that I have managed to eat within my pre-allocated carbs/calories each time we have gone out.

Have a great weekend. - Juanice
Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I agree. TOPS meetings can be interesting and fun. We are all encouraged to come up with programs to present (there are even some examples on the site). I thought maybe we could have a "suggestion box" so that people could put out some ideas. The topics presented might not be what everyone needs to hear so if there is some input it might make things more helpful.

I have a question for weight recorders/leaders:
If a KOPS (or anyone) does not want to weigh in that week, does she/he get marked as an excused or unexcused absence? Our bylaws state that to be "present" you have to weigh in but does not say if it is excused or unexcused. What do you all do?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

ours reads: if you refuses to be weighed may not stay for the meeting & marked absent
Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
I know what you mean about programs being boring. So often I'm back there rolling my eyes at some of the info I don't agree with. My favorite programs are ones that are not about food but of motivation. We have one member that does programs on how to stay motivated and I always look forward to her presentations. I try to do that too. I hardly ever do food programs. Every few months I'll do a program on earning different charms. I've also done a few skits that were lots of fun.
tomswife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
ours reads: if you refuses to be weighed may not stay for the meeting & marked absent
Our says you may not participate in the meeting but can stay. I would say that's an "A" (absent) not an "EX" (excused). The leader agrees with me but the problem is that it's not in the bylaws...I guess I know what to suggest next time we rewrite the bylaws!!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Meeting was good tonight, No weight loss BUT No gain for me won loser of the month Yes time to reword those bylaws they can get confusing
Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #293
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Meeting was good tonight, No weight loss BUT No gain for me won loser of the month Yes time to reword those bylaws they can get confusing
Way to go I skipped my meeting last week but plan on making it this Wed, even though I know I have gained
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #294
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
I have a question for weight recorders/leaders:
If a KOPS (or anyone) does not want to weigh in that week, does she/he get marked as an excused or unexcused absence? Our bylaws state that to be "present" you have to weigh in but does not say if it is excused or unexcused. What do you all do?
To determine this you have to look at the chapter bylaws, TOPS Rules (form L-052) and the Chapter Manual (T-199). Can be VERY confusing.

Lost 1.6 at last nights meeting.

Juanice
Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #295
Junior LCF Member

I forgot to say what I do. (I am weight recorder) If it is a TOPS they are marked as unexcused. If it is a KOPS they are marked as excused. I do this for KOPS since they only have to weigh in 15 times a year. I very well may be doing it wrong. I am still in the learning stage of weight recorder - only been doing it a little over a year. Slow brain. TOPS and KOPS both can stay for the meeting but they can't vote on any chapter actions.

Juanice
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie, You'll lose it!!! I always feel better after I face their scale, Knowing I have another week to try harder & make it go down & even if it doesn't, These ladies are becoming my friends and they will pick me up

Juanice, I applaud all of you who are volunteers/ elected
Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Our bylaws state that if you do not weigh you are marked absent. You may not be excused. You may stay for the meeting but are not allowed to vote on anything or participate if there are things you can earn, etc. If you have too may absences it rules you out for state/international awards that you might have earned. This portion about not earning awards is in the national TOPS rules.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Congratulations!! Loser of the month is awesome. No gain is also a win!!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Way to go I skipped my meeting last week but plan on making it this Wed, even though I know I have gained
I hope you do go even if you have a gain. I hated going the first time I gained but I am glad I did because of the support and for facing the scale instead of avoiding it which is how my weight got so high!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

When someone gains we always say "tomorrow starts a new week" so there's a chance to start over!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote