Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
The Diet/Mood Cure by Julia Ross

I know other people have put this out there, but I just recently started on her supplementation regiment and I can honestly say it has saved my life.

If you are struggling, please take a look and give it a chance. When I first heard about it here on LCF, I kind of dismissed it, thinking there was no way that I was going to take 20-30 vitamins a day and stick to it. But once I started it, there is no way I will not, it is too amazing. Within the 1st week, I felt normal, good even, I can't believe it.

For 3.5 years, since the birth of my son, I have been deeply struggling to get back to the person I once was. Actually, if I am honest, I just wanted to make it through a day without feeling like I was going to die. From about 4 months after having him and having to go back to work full time, 12 hours days, working law enforcement, then coming home to care for him and the home, all you mother's know...

I tried everything, diets, exercise, prescription meds, you name it, I did it. Nothing worked. I consistently tried to low carb and couldn't make it past a week or two. I just kept eating sugar and carbs to compensate for my exhaustion and just kept gaining and gaining. I could barely make it through the days and then felt more guilty and horrible because I felt I was a bad mother and wife because I just did not have the energy to care anymore. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, because I am a strongly disciplined person who juggles massive responsibilities, but I couldn't find a way to pull my head out of my rear when it came to taking care of myself.

Finally, desperate, I remembered Ms. Ross' book being mentioned on here. I ordered it and read it and stared the supplements that weekend. I can't believe the difference. It's like I am a whole new person.

Yes, it is a lot of vitamins to take, several times a day. But if I can do it while working out in the field, anyone can, trust me. It takes 5 mins to take them and it makes all the difference in the world.

So I just wanted to put this out there again, because maybe someone like me is searching for something to help or maybe you have been considering it, but didn't think it would work. I was positive it was a load of hooey, but as I said, I was desperate and had tried everything else. All I can say, is it has changed everything for me. I finally feel good, have lost weight, am exercising and engaging with others again - and it has only been a few weeks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
That's inspiring. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad you are doing so well now.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
I'm taking about 10-12 a day (I should count...haha). What all are you taking?

I'm taking a good multi-vitamin (2), chelated minerals (4), fish oil (4), probiotics (1), oil of oregano (1), cinnamon (1), chelated chromium (1), Gymnema (1), and evening primrose (1)

I guess that's 16! I also take CO and AVC.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Here is what I am currently taking, I am still experimenting a little to find what works perfect for me, but this is my main routine.

AM: B-complex (1), L-Glutamine (1000mg) (1), DLPA (500mg) (2), complete essential amino acids (2)

B: Multi-vitamin (1), 5-HTP (100mg) (1)

MM: L-Glutamine (1000mg) (1), DLPA (500mg) (2), complete essential amino acids (2)

L: Fish oil (4000mg), 5-HTP (100mg) (2), B-complex (1)

MA: L-Glutamine (1000mg) (1), DLPA (500mg) (2), complete essential amino acids (2)

D: 5-HTP (100mg) - I think I am going to start taking this at breakfast instead as it has tended to make me stay awake at night.

Bed: COq10 - 100 mg, GABA 750 mg, astaxanthin - 10 mg

This is working wonders for me. It has increased my mood and energy, taken away all my cravings and inability to control my appetite, allowed me to start working out again (even after a 12 hour day) and most importantly, I am happy again, smiling and in a good mood with lots of energy. It's awesome.

And thanks Sven, I am so lucky to have found this
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kaywood
Stats: 206/181/maintain any weightloss 59 yo 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Recommitted Jan 2 2011
Glad I ran across your post today. I had reached a point where I was so depressed and full of axienty that I actually made an appointment with my doctor to discuss antidepressants. I don't like drugs so waited until I was absolutely at the edge to call. Then I remembered I had both of Julia Ross's books at home and decided to read the Mood Cure and try the supplements until the doctor appointment to see if it made any difference.

Within a week I was feeling more upbeat, less worried and anxious. I have canceled the doc appointment and will continue with this regimen. I am also sleeping better. Yes, it's a ton of tablets to take throughout the day, but if it helps me feel better I'm all over it! Will take them for about 3 months and see where I am as I wean off of them.

I highly recommend her books!

I am taking a multi vitamin, CoQ10, biton, chromium, L-glutamine, L-tyrosine, DLPA, 5-HTP, calcium, vitamin C, fish oil and GABA.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiasmc1 View Post
Here is what I am currently taking, I am still experimenting a little to find what works perfect for me, but this is my main routine.

AM: B-complex (1), L-Glutamine (1000mg) (1), DLPA (500mg) (2), complete essential amino acids (2)

MM: L-Glutamine (1000mg) (1), DLPA (500mg) (2), complete essential amino acids (2)

MA: L-Glutamine (1000mg) (1), DLPA (500mg) (2), complete essential amino acids (2)

D: 5-HTP (100mg) - I think I am going to start taking this at breakfast instead as it has tended to make me stay awake at night.

This is working wonders for me. It has increased my mood and energy, taken away all my cravings and inability to control my appetite, allowed me to start working out again (even after a 12 hour day) and most importantly, I am happy again, smiling and in a good mood with lots of energy. It's awesome.

How much would you say you're spending on all the supplements? Per day?
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, Mary! I am so happy for you! It really does work doesn't it
Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Leeloo, sorry, I posted on accident before I was finished.

I was trying to write that it is hard to say per day the cost - maybe $3 to $5 a day.

The initial outlay was about $75 - so I am thinking maybe it will run me $100 a month or so. But you don't have to take them forever. Usually it is 3 -12 months and you can stop the majority of them once your stores build up. To me it is so worth it though. I eat no more fast food, eat probably half or less calories per day than I was before, am happy, feel good. I will gladly pay it.

I know not everyone can do that, but I am saving in so many areas, that it compensates, I believe.

ETA - Oh, also, everyone doesn't have to take all of them, it is kind individual based on your symptoms (I take a lot because I was a REAL mess), so it could be less or more depending I guess. I get all my vitamins online because it is way cheaper.

Last edited by adiasmc1; 07-24-2012 at 02:09 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Thanks for the response! It does sound expensive, but if it works I'm sure it's worth it.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, it is worth it to me.

I was a complete mess, really depressed and withdrawing from my husband and kid, getting fatter and hating myself more and more each day because I couldn't seem to keep it together. And I have never been like that, I have always been a happy person with tons of energy, able to do a million things at a time and then after having my son, it's like my body just went crazy and nothing I did made me better. I realize now after reading her books that once we use up all our stores our body has a really hard time producing more if we are constantly stressed, which of course, I am - we all are nowadays

So for me, it is like a miracle. And like I said, I was eating a lot of junk and that is expensive too so I think it evens out.

But even if I had to stay on it for the rest of my life, I would cut back in other areas to do it, it has helped me that much!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Thanks for posting. I was thinking about ordering her book.

I have a hard time staying on any plan.

Thanks again.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Do it Anna, it is worth a try. And like I said, I take a lot of the supplements because I was such a mess, but you can tailor it to your needs.

I have pretty much no appetite and have to make myself eat, it's just like when I was young and skinny I don't obsess about food anymore and although I occasionally get cravings, I can now say to myself, you don't really want that, you are tired or whatever and it will just make you feel gross - and now I actually listen.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StartingOver
Stats: 216/164!!/150
Start Date: 12/10/07 restart for millionth time
marking my spot, b/c i so could have wrote that post! Do anyone of you feel that is has helped with weight loss as well??
StartingOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Starting Over, I began the regimen about 2 weeks ago, I have lost 8 pounds. I am also low carbing again. I think the best thing is that the supplements, for me at least, are meeting the needs chemically in my body that I was trying to induce with carbs and sugar. The aminos and vitamins are giving me the energy and willpower to stay on plan and eat less. So in that sense it has really helped me with my weight loss.

Like I have mentioned earlier, I take a lot of supplements because I was a real mess, but depending on one's individual symptoms, it could be less or more. That is the nice thing, it isn't a single thing for everyone, you can tailor it to your needs.

It is really worth checking out if you are struggling. I didn't believe it would work, but was desperate. I was blown away with how good I feel now.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
This thread is really helpful as I had gotten away from taking the supplements and due to my stress with my mom passing, really went back to old eating habits. Couldn't figure out why getting back to healthy eating was so difficult...forgot to add the supplements that would help undue the damage my bad eating had caused in my hormone and sugar balances. going back to vitamin store to get what I need today.
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the feed back adiasmc1, I will order her book.

I think I "dread" it because I am one of these people that HATE taking meds/pills etc. I buy them, think I'm going to take them. Then don't.

BUT maybe her book can help me understand why I need too. I'm menopausal, have grown kids and teenagers, and grandkids. So I know I probable need something. (because I can't seem to stay on plan)

Thanks again......Anna
Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Great job, Jen. Glad this is working so well for you. And thanks for the reminder. I am a big fan of Julia Ross.

You are describing me to a T the way I was 17 yrs. ago when my son was born. Only then I knew nothing of Julia Ross, so I became fatter and more and more depressed over many years. Still struggling to get back, if I know what back is any more. I started her regimen but didn't complete. Never took 5-HTP (even though i bought some ) because of some negative research that came out on its effect on heart valves. Still considering if I should take it, I know it will make a huge difference in my mood.

Quote:
Yeah, it is worth it to me.

I was a complete mess, really depressed and withdrawing from my husband and kid, getting fatter and hating myself more and more each day because I couldn't seem to keep it together. And I have never been like that, I have always been a happy person with tons of energy, able to do a million things at a time and then after having my son, it's like my body just went crazy and nothing I did made me better. I realize now after reading her books that once we use up all our stores our body has a really hard time producing more if we are constantly stressed, which of course, I am - we all are nowadays

So for me, it is like a miracle. And like I said, I was eating a lot of junk and that is expensive too so I think it evens out.

But even if I had to stay on it for the rest of my life, I would cut back in other areas to do it, it has helped me that much!

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
How much would you say you're spending on all the supplements? Per day?
My thoughts exactly, I take half that amount of suppliments and sometimes struggle with the cost of those.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Anna, I never thought I would be able to take that many vitamins a day and stick to it either, but once I started taking them and they made such a huge difference, it has motivated me not to stop. I was the same, I could barely remember to take my vitamins and most of the time I didn't.

I started packaging them up the night before in little baggies labeled with the time I need to take them and I just take those to work with me in the morning. I have my schedule listed out near all the vitamins.

But honestly, the thing that makes me able to take them all is I feel such a difference.

Eliza, you don't have to take the 5HTP if you aren't comfortable with it - she has other combos you can take to up your seratonin, which is what the 5HTP does. I tried to look up what you were talking about because I hadn't heard that but all I could find was that INJECTED seratonin caused heart valve issues in animals, but 5HTP wasn't tested for that. So I am not sure.

Becky, it is expensive and I know not everyone could do it. But it has made such a huge difference for me, I feel like I used too, so good and happy and with energy - I am cutting back on other things becasue this is more important to me. Also, even though she recommends certain multi-vitamins and things like that, I have just gone with the ones I used to take instead of the more expensive ones she recommends, so there are things you can do to make it less. Ha ha, also at this point I think my husband would pay for them for me if I asked because he has seen such a huge change, I am back to the girl he married instead of the zombie I have been the last few years.

Yeah, Quiet, it is totally worth it, hope you can get started again!

Last edited by adiasmc1; 07-25-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eleanor
Thanks for sharing your regimen. I have most of those supplements already and will try it.

Amy
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kaywood
Stats: 206/181/maintain any weightloss 59 yo 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Recommitted Jan 2 2011
Quote:
Yeah, Mary! I am so happy for you! It really does work doesn't it
Yes it really does work and as you've said in another post, I am motivated to keep taking them because I have a fear of going back to how I felt before I started taking them. Like you, I was a real mess. I just have to stay very organized with them....have a pill box that is slotted and I can separate them into times of day.

Great post...thanks for starting it. Validation that it is working for others is also a great motivator!
kaywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I ordered my book this am, should get it in a few days.....

Thanks for all the infor. I feel there is hope. (to feel better)

Anna
Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eleanor
Quote:

Can you please confirm that you are taking these supplements with food?

Thanks very much,
Ellie
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Ellie, I actually take them in between when I eat. I don't take them with food.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Good luck Anna, I am glad you are going to try it. I really think you will be suprised. Like Mary said, you have to be organized about it because it is a lot, but once you get into a routine it is easier.

Let us know how it works.