Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/140.5/130
WOE: HDE/FF
The No S Diet

Is anyone out there doing The No S Diet? A couple of us are trying it. Some for stabilization, some for weight loss. I started it to stabilize after HCG. I’m now trying to personalize and modify it to lose my last 10 lbs. We would love it if anyone interested or experienced in No S would join us and share your ideas.

You can learn about this free on their site nosdiet.com. I bought the book also on Amazon for $2.95 plus shipping. It basically just expands on everything you can learn for free, so don’t feel you need to buy yet another diet book if you don’t want to. Personally I like all the grimy details. Below is a recent post to a friend explaining it and my experience for anyone that is interested:

The rules are very basic and simple: No Seconds, No Snacks, No Sweets except “sometimes” on S days (Saturday, Sunday, Special days (your birthday, holidays, etc.) and Sick days. That’s it.

No Seconds You can have as much as you want on your single plate and even use a bigger plate to make sure you have enough. Make sure you have enough to make it to the next meal as there is no in-between food, period. It won't take long to figure out what you need and to get over the panic of no exceptions here. Don't try to limit yourself to start with. You want to set yourself up for sucess! He says if your bread fits on the plate, next to the other food you're golden, if you have to stack it on top, not so much. And fruit is fine with your meal, just not in-between.

Me: I had to focus on the single plate idea vs. no seconds. Appetizer, salad & entree does not equal no seconds. If I wanted salad (with whatever on top) either make my meal a big salad or fit it on my plate with my other food and if I really wanted those appetizers, order a whole order for my meal.

No Sweets There is absolutely no restriction in what you eat except sweets. He says most foods are clearly okay or clearly not okay. If you have to wonder about stuff like yogurt, peanut butter or adult cereal it's probably okay. He also discourages artificial sweeteners as they lead back to the real thing and getting out of the habit of eating sweet things on a regular basis is part of the plan. "Skinny people don't eat that crap, why should you?" I love that line and use it a lot.

Me: I'm doing better on low carb "ish" right now because I was having trouble controlling myself from eating every bad and worse food I could get my hands on just because it was technically okay. I say "ish" because I'm still having yogurt (occasionally), fruit (everyday) and a Latte breve if I really want one.

No Snacks No food in-between meals, period. That includes healthy snacks like fruit or veggies. If you have to have something you can drink something (preferably water of course) but it could be milk, latte, veggie juice, etc. whatever will get you by so you don't eat anything.

Me: I drink a good amount of water, probably 1-2 liters a day. I've gotten into the habit, know it's good for me and it does curb my appetite. I've also had a latte and even a diet soda when that just wasn't enough. I also have not given up my red wine in the evening. I am going to attempt to curb this a bit because it discourages me from doing other things I want to do like exercise. But as long as I continue to lose I'm not going to stress about it.

S Days S Days are Saturday, Sunday, Special days (like your birthday, holidays, etc.) and Sick days. S days are important, plan on them; treat yourself to something really special. It will be something to look forward to and keep you going and taste that much better because you haven't had a bunch of crap all week long. And you won't have to be the only one missing out on the birthday cake at the party (how cool is that ). This isn't license to stuff your face 24-7 with as much crap as you can (hence the sometimes) If it’s worth it: have a snack, have a sweet thing, get a second helping, just don’t be stupid about it because you can.

Me: I started this because my birthday was coming up and I wanted brownies bad And you know what? Because I could not only have them, I could have more the following weekend; I didn't feel the need to eat the whole pan. I ate and enjoyed two big brownies and wrapped up the rest; put them in the freezer to enjoy the next weekend. The trouble I ran into was every dinner and lunch I did with everyone for my birthday became a special day, plus my niece's birthday, etc. Also like I said, on No S days I ate pizza, KFC, etc., etc. just because I could. He says if you're having more than two non-weekend S days a month, you need to re-assess your S days. For my low carbish S day yesterday I had a piece of peanut butter toast on whole grain bread, nuts and one Taco Bell taco, plus two cocktails when we went out with friends. Today I'm planning on making chocolate cherry yogurt with my treasured SF Whip cream on top. Other than that pretty much by the book.

Another thing I've started doing is only weighing in once a week. Friday is generally by lowest weight day, primarily because I've had five days of being good after a weekend so that's my day. I was really tripping myself up mentally with the normal fluctuations.

So that's as much as I know at the moment. I will say that over the course of the first few weeks I did gain 3.8 pounds. But considering my extreme over indulgence and honing the rules I was pretty happy about that. (and for you HCGers, that did not include a single CD day) Last week after switching to low carb"ish" I lost 1.2 in five days.

Please join us! We’re looking forward to your views and sharing our own.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hi Terri

I find this interesting! Even though I am JUDDDing, ... I actually eat the "NO S" way on JUDDD.
I began the no snacking after reading the Leptin Reset RX by Jack Kruse. He says that snacking stresses the liver and adrenals. This really made sense to me. I eat to hunger, no seconds, and the only sweets are fruit, but admit to having cocoa crack once in a while. I will be watching this thread and hope to continue on with this. The one thing that I have noticed is that I never get all of my calories in when eating to hunger. And I find fasting day is not even an issue anymore.

The only question I have is, "Do you track or log your food on ******?" "Also, are you staying LC?" Even though you are following these rules, it seems to me that having the food journal would help to see what is working on this plan. Just a thought.

I still log and it helps me to see exactly where my F, C, & P stand.

Great job in explaining the plan!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Sunday Welcome!
To be honest I'm suffering from diet and journaling exhaustion. One of the reasons I came to No S was the fact that I didn't need to. If I can figure this out to lose or even maintain without it I will consider it a huge success. I'm not saying never, just not at the moment. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Sounds like you are really doing well on JUDDD Isn't it amazing how when you stop trying to eat as much as you're possibly allowed you start wanting less?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Very interesting....
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
The No S Diet book is a very good read. I like his sense of humor. He has some good, doable ideas for exercise as well. I know all too well what you mean by suffering from dieting and journaling exhaustion. No S is a very refreshing change.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Sign me up! It's after 3 am here but I'm still awake so I figured I'd come check out the new thread. Nice job, Terri! I can't believe there are no other No S Diet threads. It's a plan who's time has come. I can't wait to see how it works for me. My "S" days are over. Now for a full week of sticking to the plan.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning All

I know what you mean about his sense of humor Pat, he's fun to read. I like Dana Carpender for the same reason. You inspired me to get busy and read. I'd like to hear what he has to say about exercise.

Well Cheryl off we go! What's on the menu today? For me:

Breakfast - Crust-less quiche
Lunch - Garlic/Cheese sausage with peppers & onions
Dinner - Tri-Tip & Blue Cheese Salad

I love leftovers!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl

how's my peeps??

you freaking awesome, terri in your recap of no-s!! and i too loved the guy's sense of humor on the site.

i am thinking of combining the different woe's i have tried....no-s, IF, JUDDD, LC....i LOVE the principles of each one, but feel like a combo of them may be better for me. so i am going to sort that out.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Been a member of Reinhold's forum for many years. I have to eat low carb, and no Sweets for me, but otherwise, I love everything about No S.

Thanks to No S (and intermittent fasting), I moved my "breakfast" to 11, "lunch" to 3pm and dinner at 6. Works better for my system. No snacking is key I think. We need to clear our blood of sugars. Most of the world eats this way--without snacking or seconds.

Good luck to all--

Ouis
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you know what my BIGGEST problem with food in general is? i'm not an emotional eater...i don't RUN to food...i am a social eater for THE FUN OF IT!! because it TASTES good! how does one ever not care that a dag-gum doughnut or cookie or brownie or buttered bread TASTES GOOD!! especially when i have no 'issues' to KEEP me from eating that stuff? i'm not diabetic, gluten intolerant, etc... food just tastes good. i feel like a binger on the edge all the time simply b/c i know it will taste good...even if i don't act out. i don't like the constant thoughts. i want to be able to enjoy ALL food like my skinny friends who just live. but i feel like it's a constant war in my head.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, Yep, Yep!! That darn livin' thing! I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I wonder if I had a better reason then vanity to keep from having that lovely "whatever" if I would have better control. I'm really trying to focus on health and the concept of "it's a lot easier to prevent disease then cure it". But food is just plain fun

I will say that when my cholesterol started to go up (still way below the dangerous numbers) it did get my attention and did motivate me. I had always been 145, and then I went to 175, then 185. My doctor said it was an age thing; I really couldn't do anything about it and not to worry about it. Best way to motivate me is to tell me I can't So two years of low carb and HCG, less about 15-20lbs I tested at 167 So that does help reel me in to some extent.

I agree with you Ouis. This no snacking thing really makes a difference. Once you get away from it, it's surprising how much you don't miss it. And really don’t want it.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Big Yapper!

Hello, ladies! I'm back. Fed the dog, did the dishes, and then made my first breakfast (which should technically be lunch, but it's my first meal of the day and I sleep like someone who works the 2nd shift.) I feel good about this plan and I thank Terri for being the forerunner and bringing it to my attention.

I am going to only weigh on Saturday mornings, before any "S" day behaviors. I won't act like S days are akin to loading days on HCG. I'm going to strive to be a normal eater, even when eating those foods which are exceptions on those allowed days and occasions. (I've really grown to hate that overly full feeling anyway.)

I will do my very best to not take in a single calorie between meals, which means I'll be drinking my iced coffees (with cream and ez sweetz) at the meal and stick to water or iced teas between meals.

And although I will have to literally drag myself into the office/workout room, I'm going to make that a part of my daily life, too. It's high time I started that aspect of the fitness curriculum. I've put it off and put it off and it is just never going to feel like the right time to start. I will start out using the treadmill and walking 3 miles per day. I will build up with little stints of jogging and try to increase the number of jogging minutes.

Since I also do the equine care stuff at the therapy center on Monday and Tuesday afternoons, I probably won't do the treadmill on those two days. I get wasted from the heat, humidity and biting insects as well as just the sheer exertion of the grooming and cleaning of the paddocks, etc. So that is a full-body workout for those two days.

Someone asked if we should log our food into ****** or something like it. I read the nosdiet.com and he really makes it sound like he intended for people who follow this plan to be free from calorie counting, tracking carbs/pro/fat, etc. So I'm going to just stick to the basics and get them down to a science.

Since I am on a weird sleeping pattern (now that I've completely kicked the sleeping pill habit! Yea me!!), I will be eating breakfast closer to what others would consider to be lunchtime, then lunch around dinner time, and dinner around "bed time." I don't fall asleep until around 3-4 so "bedtime" will be considered 9-10 pm. After that, no more eating or drinking things that have calories in them.

I hope to God that this plan helps me because I just have to find something that doesn't feel like dieting and deprivation, and something that can be lived indefinitely. I'm so over diets and I can't seem to stick to a single plan that I once was able to totally ROCK in the past. I just don't have the mental mojo to do it once more.

Sorry for the book!!! I'll shut up now. Have a wonderful day, ladies!

I have come to the decision that there is no such thing as a destination.

My Journal.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Big Yapper!

And I just want to quantify something for my own sake. Since this is a lifestyle, I will hereby stop calling it a "diet."
From now on, this is the "No S WOE."
Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE it is Great plan Cheryl. We're going to rock this!!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Big Yapper!

Yes we are!! Thanks, Terri. I'm excited for the first time in ages (regarding dieting.) I think this could be the thing that gets me headed back in the right direction. I already see the freedom in this. For instance, I had pizza yesterday and I was thinking that I needed to finish it or need to throw it away by today. Then it hit me! I can have that! I can take a plate and place two slices of pizza on it and that is totally legal! (I ended up eating the rest of it last night, but you get my drift.)

Have a most excellent day.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

since i can't seem to always dish up reasonable portions i am planning on using different sized plates depending on where i want my calories to end up for the day...no actual counting of course...but a smaller plate will SURELY mean less calories, right??
Old 07-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Yes we are!! Thanks, Terri. I'm excited for the first time in ages (regarding dieting.) I think this could be the thing that gets me headed back in the right direction. I already see the freedom in this. For instance, I had pizza yesterday and I was thinking that I needed to finish it or need to throw it away by today. Then it hit me! I can have that! I can take a plate and place two slices of pizza on it and that is totally legal! (I ended up eating the rest of it last night, but you get my drift.)

Have a most excellent day.
First of all Missy, may I remind you that we are living not dieting. And second, I've been thinking all day about your exercise declaration and tonight I'm going home and putting on my workout clothes first thing. Regardless of what else I do, I'm getting back started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
since i can't seem to always dish up reasonable portions i am planning on using different sized plates depending on where i want my calories to end up for the day...no actual counting of course...but a smaller plate will SURELY mean less calories, right??
I think that's totally reasonable. I don't think you snack much now, do you? If you did I'd say don't worry about it that much until you get over the need to eat in-between, that was a challenge for me, especially when I went low-carb. But if you don't have that issue now, I think that's a great idea.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

no, no snacking...not that i couldn't...i can always munch on something, but i can keep it to meals only easily.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
Subbing for when I get to the dreaded P3--although I LOVE the food, I hate the up and down of not stabilizing!
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
I subscribe to the smaller plate theory, especially now on this plan. I did that this morning for b-fast. I used a small plate and put two yogurts on it. They fit comfortably and so I ate them for my meal. I also had a glass of iced coffee. Tonight I did the same thing with the smaller plate cause I was just too tired to cook. I made a tomato sandwich and ate a peach. Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
First of all Missy, may I remind you that we are living not dieting. And second, I've been thinking all day about your exercise declaration and tonight I'm going home and putting on my workout clothes first thing. Regardless of what else I do, I'm getting back started!

I think that's totally reasonable. I don't think you snack much now, do you? If you did I'd say don't worry about it that much until you get over the need to eat in-between, that was a challenge for me, especially when I went low-carb. But if you don't have that issue now, I think that's a great idea.
Good! I am back from the farm and believe you me, I've gotten all the exercise I'm going to get for one day. OMG! I sweated a gallon of fluids and I was working hard the entire time (about 3.5 hours out in the sun.) I am letting myself off the treadmill hook for today. Tomorrow I'll see how hard I have to work and then if I get off easy, I'll come home and do a mile. (Not likely, since the other girl comes so late that I've already done almost everything. Will try not to go so early so the work is more evenly distributed between us. But it's so hard not to go earlier!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole T View Post
Subbing for when I get to the dreaded P3--although I LOVE the food, I hate the up and down of not stabilizing!
Sounds like a plan, Nicole!

I ate my dinner at 8pm cause that was when I got home from the farm. I was totally sweaty and nasty but I knew if I waited to eat after I showered, it would be closer to 9. So I sat my butt down in a chair and ate my tomato sandwich and peach. Now I'm all clean and chilling on my bed.

I tried those Skin So Soft bug repellent wipes and they are about as effective as any other bug repellent. Won't buy them again. Got a monster bite on my left ear. Will look terrible tomorrow.

OMG it feels good to be clean after a day like I had!!! For "dinner" (since I ate lunch at 8pm), I'll likely just have something light. I don't have much hunger at all. I'm loving this so far!!! I feel totally free.

Goodnight, lovely ladies!! Hugs all around.

Last edited by CherylB; 07-16-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Nicole, good to see you! Sorry about your dismal P3. Been there, done that. I did this walking into my last P3 and behaved terribly (By P3 standards) and gained far less then I could have ever hoped. Now that I should technically be in P4 I'm trying to back up the truck and see if I can start losing again. Where are you in your round?

Okay I got home and changed into my workout clothes but I was starving. So I made and am eating my Tri-Tip/Blue cheese salad. And believe you me, this is no wimpy low cal salad It is however low carb. I'm not sure how much I'll feel like exercising, but I have promised myself that I will at least do my lift squat routine tonight. At the very least, that gets me back rolling.

Cheryl, I think you exercised more today on the job then any treadmill would ever do good job!

So Buddy Girl, are you sayin' what I think you're saying?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
Big Yapper!

Mmmm! That salad sounds heavenly, Terri. I wish I had the energy to cook but until my two barn days are over, I'll be eating simple stuff. But I'm looking forward to making some food!!! I love leftovers, too.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh yeah....combining no-s with the others I listed. Totally. (that what you meant?)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep! So are you starting something now or waiting until your special week is over?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

I see this plan explained nicely up top but I need it in Kindergarten language, spelled out, in simple terms. Sorry....
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Butter,
No Seconds, No Snacks, No Sweets except “sometimes” on S days (Saturday, Sunday, Special days (your birthday, holidays, etc.) and Sick days. That’s it.

Hope this helps. Do you have any specific questions?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
Big Yapper!

That really is "it" too. I think people think, "That can't be all there is to that plan." But it's that simple. I think I might scale back to two meals per day while I'm sleeping so late. At least on the two days I work at the barn. I squeezed three meals in but that made me eat when I really wasn't that hungry a bit ago. That seems counter-productive so I'll try two meals tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah...following it this week for sure...I'll see where I am and then either put a patch back and continue with that for awhile or keep going without the patch.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

So, we're eating whatever we want, on one plate, three meals a day.
And on the S days.....?