Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
that was my only ehhhh, in trying this was all the fiber. i already visit the bathroom, ahem, plenty...the way it is. too much fiber gives me more problems in the gassy area than in the bathroom area, which is not nice!! lol... but...will know mre on that later today.

btw i meant above that it wasN'T 100% bread-like, but more so than other lc breads.
Luckily for me it didn't give me gas at all--which some of the other flour alternatives did (tapioca flour, garbonzo bean flour etc...)
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/140.5/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Oh so yummy, I'm dying to try this, this weekend. Awesome that you guys get to be my official taste testers. The only thing I need to buy is psyllium husks, any recommendations or is it pretty typical. I've only ever bought it as a supplement.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #483
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i bought mine from netrition, terri. it's now brand, so maybe whole foods or some such store has it? just a bottle of bulk powder. 8oz or so
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #484
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just got some at Wal-Mart. Took me a while to find some without added sugar. I was thinking I'd find it in the health food section not the laxative aisle
Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #485
Major LCF Poster!

Happy rainy Monday ladies (at least it is here in MD). I have a few mini loaves of Maria's "bread" baking in my oven right now but this time I tried coconut flour. While I liked the almond, I sometimes find it can have a strong taste--especially when I re-toasted it. I can't really describe it other than to say it tastes like the wet dog smell to me LOL

I will definitely let you know how the coconut turns out. I'd much rather eat more coconut flour than almond anyway due to the omega 3/6 issue.

Haven't weighed myself but I'm feeling pretty good. I was away this weekend with my oldest son in Greenwich, Conn and the only "cheats" I had were the coconut chocolate muffins I made (that only have a tiny bit of coconut nectar in them for sweetner) and a few raw cookie dough balls made with dates, cashews, walnuts and some sugar free chocolate chips. Speaking of...Nevada Mana chips are backordered everywhere and I'm sad since I don't have many left
Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #486
Major LCF Poster!

And yet another bread recipe that looks promising...google "she cooks, he cleans" and when you get to her blog, look up "Primal Sandwich Bread 2.0" Might give that a try tomorrow or Wed. Just got my coconut flour bread out of the oven and it looks pretty much identical to the almond flour bread (but it also called for 4 eggs instead of 2 so there has to be some difference). I'm heading to the store now and will be making a sandwich when I get back and I'll give you my verdict
Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

The coconut flour bread was a clear winner! I preferred it MUCH better than the almond flour and it's nice because it only calls for 1/2 a cup of coconut flour. Plus I feel better eating more coconut flour vs more almond flour. It also had much more of a bread-like consistency than the almond flour---my almond flour was kinda "webby" and moist while this one was more dry and looked exactly like real bread.

Now I just have to try not to eat too much of it so I don't end up in the potty all night
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't tried it yet, it was all we could do not to overeat on everything else this weekend. DH is going to be away a couple nights this week, I might try it then. What do you think about trying it in a loaf pan to get more sliced bread shape?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #489
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh yay, nicole! i will def give the coconut one a try.

i get what you mean about the wet dog thing...but i thought it was from the psyllium.

for the record, the fiber of the psyllium didn't make me gasy int he least. in fact, i think it was quite instrumental in 'normalizing' bernice as that, along with a very fatty day was the only difference. normally, i'm quite...um...on the loose side.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #490
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay I just spent the last two hours making and cleaning up after my first batch of homemade mayonnaise. I read all the recipes (decided on the Paleo recipe), followed the instructions, didn't rush it I swear, and I ended up with very tasty ranch dressing consistency mayo sauce. I'm thinking Best Foods
Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #491
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lol, sorry that didn't go better. that is one LC thing that has evaded me too.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Okay I just spent the last two hours making and cleaning up after my first batch of homemade mayonnaise. I read all the recipes (decided on the Paleo recipe), followed the instructions, didn't rush it I swear, and I ended up with very tasty ranch dressing consistency mayo sauce. I'm thinking Best Foods
I found much more success making it in my food processor than I did in my Blendtec. I think the high powered blenders might heat it too much. I've had success 3 times and 1 failure with mayo. Right now, I have Dukes in my fridge but I feel guilty every time I use it so I guess I need to get making some mayo

BTW--toasted my coconut flour bread yesterday for lunch and it toasted GREAT! Way better than the almond flour version. Had tuna on it and thought I was in heaven. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I could make philly cheese steaks now and they'll be legal!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used my hand blender like the Paleo recipe said, for that reason. I think it didn't have enough emf. I'll try my processor next time, if there is one.

Next experiment is the bread. So what about cooking time? You said you would have cooked the almond flour one longer. And you really only use a 1/2 cup coconut vs. 1-1/4 cup almond?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #494
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i haven't gotten to the coconut version yet. and yeah, coconut flour is like a super sponge, you use far less of that than other 'flours'.

i can't remember exactly how long i baked mine as i was making a lasagna at the same time it seemed close to an hour, but evidently wasn't long enough.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I used my hand blender like the Paleo recipe said, for that reason. I think it didn't have enough emf. I'll try my processor next time, if there is one.

Next experiment is the bread. So what about cooking time? You said you would have cooked the almond flour one longer. And you really only use a 1/2 cup coconut vs. 1-1/4 cup almond?
Yep, just 1/2 a cup...but you are using 4 eggs instead of I think 2 in the almond flour recipe. I made 4 hoagie rolls with mine and cooked them for exactly 60 minutes. I think I took the almond flour ones out at 50 minutes because they looked done on the outside but it's important that the inside has time to cook through.

And although my coconut flour ones did seem to have a tiny bit of the "wet dog" smell (it must be the eggs with the psyllium), they didn't taste weird at all (I really tasted it in the almond flour ones when I re-toasted them the next day).

Oh and this bread is VERY filling! I almost couldn't finish my mini hoagie with tuna on it yesterday.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay in the spirit of making "lemonade", I'm picking up some anchovy paste to make Caesar dressing with my mayo sauce.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #497
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Howdy, ladies! Just decided to poke my head in to see how the faithful are doing on No S. I am only reading the posts on this last page so I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

It sounds like most of you have decided to do No S in a low carb way. Was that the only way you could see any drops on the scale or did you just feel better eating LC? The other question is for Terri: Why make your own mayo? Not sure what benefit there would be in that, other than maybe being cheaper.

I am in another one of my limbo phases. I never know how I end up in them but it is a pattern I must find a way to break through. I can't keep living my life in these dreadful cycles. It's self-defeating and makes one feel so much like a failure.

So, how is this coconut flour bread product made? Where can I find the recipe? I happen to have a large bag of coconut flour right now so it might be worth a try. Eating all the high starch foods I've been having has made me feel fat, bloated and my joints are screaming at me to stop the madness. I'm trying to transition into something but not sure what. New day, same old crap.

Nice to see you all! I hope you don't mind the questions. I just want to see how you are making No S work for you.

I have come to the decision that there is no such thing as a destination.

My Journal.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #498
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
Can you post the coconut flour bread recipe?
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Can you post the coconut flour bread recipe?
From Maria Emmerich's site:

"HEALTHIFIED" SUB
1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (or 1/2 cup coconut flour)
5 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 eggs (4 if using coconut flour)
1 cup BOILING water (or MARINARA - for more Tomato Basil Bread!)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine the almond, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won't work), baking powder and salt. Add in the eggs and combine until a thick dough. Add boiling water or marinara into the bowl. Mix until well combined.

Form into 4 to 5 mini subs (the dough will rise and spread a little) or one large sub/loaf and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 50-65 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the bread cool completely. Cut open with a serrated knife. Fill with desired fillings. Makes 5 servings. OPTION: Double the batch and bake in a small bread pan to make a PANINI!

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Sub Bread = 198 calories, 6g fat, 4g protein, 41 carbs, trace fiber (41 effective carbs)
Almond Flour Sub = 205 calories, 14g fat, 8.4g protein, 10.9g carb, 7.6g fiber (3.3 effective carbs)

NOTE: SOME psyllium powder will turn your baked good a "rye bread" color. I have found that Jay Robb psyllium husks (ground into a powder) doesn't cause this to happen.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Howdy, ladies! Just decided to poke my head in to see how the faithful are doing on No S. I am only reading the posts on this last page so I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

It sounds like most of you have decided to do No S in a low carb way. Was that the only way you could see any drops on the scale or did you just feel better eating LC? The other question is for Terri: Why make your own mayo? Not sure what benefit there would be in that, other than maybe being cheaper.

I am in another one of my limbo phases. I never know how I end up in them but it is a pattern I must find a way to break through. I can't keep living my life in these dreadful cycles. It's self-defeating and makes one feel so much like a failure.

So, how is this coconut flour bread product made? Where can I find the recipe? I happen to have a large bag of coconut flour right now so it might be worth a try. Eating all the high starch foods I've been having has made me feel fat, bloated and my joints are screaming at me to stop the madness. I'm trying to transition into something but not sure what. New day, same old crap.

Nice to see you all! I hope you don't mind the questions. I just want to see how you are making No S work for you.
Hi Cheryl--great to see you again

I can only share my experience with No S but basically I followed the rules to the T and I ended up gaining 9 lbs in a little over a month! I did add back in gluten and other grains--mostly on the weekends--and did have a few sugar splurges every weekend (which was totally allowed on No S). Back came the bloating and the gas so I knew I had to make a change.
I decided I had to go back to Paleo and I lost 6 lbs the first 5 days I did it! So my body has spoken and I'm going to listen to it
Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #501
Big Yapper!

Nicole, it's so great to see you ladies again, too! Thanks for your openness to my question. I had checked back here once before to see how the plan was working for folks in general and it looked like the freedom was being enjoyed by all but nobody was weighing themselves. I couldn't tell if the plan was working in regard to weight loss so I just snuck back out and went about my life.

I am painfully aware that what I need to completely "x out of" my life is starch. Whether it be pasta, bread, potatoes, corn, peas (though I don't think peas added into a dish would be so terrible on occasion), hard liquor and beer (made from starches like corn and wheat, and lots of sugar), rice, bananas (who knew they were a starchy fruit?), etc.

I've been eating with abandon for a while now and have regained yet again. I feel like absolute CRAP, too. I'm bloated, my socks leave marks around my ankles, the bags beneath my eyes are back with a vengeance, my knuckles and joints are swollen, stiff and painful and even with all these symptoms, I continue on with life as usual.

I have to stop the bus and get the hell off! No more of this insanity for me. I know what the culprit is and I know how to feel better, as well as lose the weight permanently (without getting nutso and diving into severe diet plans that produce fast results.)

In some ways, at least for ME, I think starch is far worse to my system than sugar is. Sugar is still something I will avoid but I won't be as freaked out if I drink or eat something on occasion that has sugar in it, so long as it is starch-free.

Is that what you mean by avoiding gluten or are there still gluten-free products that are starchy? Six lbs in 5 days on Paleo? That's awesome, Nicole! Talk about the proof being in the pudding.

I am making a pot of chili right now. I had intended to make a few ground beef meals and so I am making it. I used two cans of red kidney beans as per the recipe. It said to "drain and rinse" the beans. I didn't see the point of that until I opened up the cans. The "water" was so thick, like a syrup. Why? Because the beans are starchy. SO starchy that the beans can't even contain all that starch when placed in a can with a liquid medium.

I was rinsing them and thinking to myself, "You are poisoning your body!" Not just with the beans but with all the starchy foods I've been eating and drinking (Vodka with crystal light; loaded with ASPERTAME, to add insult to injury.) OMG! What am I doing to myself and WHY????

Last edited by CherylB; 10-17-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Old 10-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #502
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi, cheryl...good to see you. once again i have come to the conclusion that no-s is the perfect *maintenance* plan. i am up from our cruise...still. and even no-s with cal counting wasn't doing it. so once i return from my trip with mom and sisters on the 28th, it's to the patch for me. the bleeding must stop. and it's becoming apparent that is my only option, much as i hate to admit it.

Quote:
In some ways, at least for ME, I think starch is far worse to my system than sugar is. Sugar is still something I will avoid but I won't be as freaked out if I drink or eat something on occasion that has sugar in it, so long as it is starch-free.
this is interesting to me...i'm the opposite, bread/starch doesn't seem to bother too much, but if i eat too much sugar...whoa...sore boobs and sore all over to touch, like i push on my arms and the tissues just hurt...it's the strangest thing.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #503
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
Thank you, Nicole!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #504
Big Yapper!

Hey, Dazy! Nice to see you again. Sorry for the trouble losing the cruise weight. I actually was loading for a very rogue and personal round but I just can't do it. I think it's time to just stave off of starch and see where it takes me. If I'm still miserable come January 1, I'll tackle another round.

I hope you're having a good time (or will be) with your Mom and sisters. Is that not until the 28th or is that the end of your time together? However and whenever, have a splendid time.

The chili I made was so good! Makes me want to re-think the whole starchy bean thing a little bit longer. I'm hopeless! Now I'm considering making it one more time and inviting some family over. I need to find a good cornbread recipe and then decide on a day. Perfect time of year to make family happy.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey, Dazy! Nice to see you again. Sorry for the trouble losing the cruise weight. I actually was loading for a very rogue and personal round but I just can't do it. I think it's time to just stave off of starch and see where it takes me. If I'm still miserable come January 1, I'll tackle another round.

I hope you're having a good time (or will be) with your Mom and sisters. Is that not until the 28th or is that the end of your time together? However and whenever, have a splendid time.

The chili I made was so good! Makes me want to re-think the whole starchy bean thing a little bit longer. I'm hopeless! Now I'm considering making it one more time and inviting some family over. I need to find a good cornbread recipe and then decide on a day. Perfect time of year to make family happy.
I made chili last week and used little cubes of cut up sweet potato instead of beans and I liked it better than with the beans!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks Cheryl...our trip starts Friday evening. I'll get home the 28th. so looking forward to it. I chose to sit out last years girls trip b/c of all of Noah's goings on.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Cheryl

Great to see you! Yeah, I'm not really doing No S now either. Like Carrie says, it's good for maintenance, but not losing. But like Nicole I can't do it plain vanilla without gaining, I have to do more low carb. So why are all us Non-no Sers here? We just like the company And you are always welcome on our little slice of paradise.

Right now I'm doing Nutritional Ketosis. Basically high fat, low carb or fat fast with more calories. When I first started I lost 2.7 in three days. Then due to some bad behavior over the weekend I’m only down 1.8, but on track to be down my 2# goal for the week. Right now that's all I'm shooting for, as I'm not willing to sacrifice long term right now, just kind of in spurts with some leeway for living in between.

The whole mayo thing (and NO it is not cheaper) is about polyunsaturated fats in soy bean oil which is in mayo and most salad dressing that's supposed to be bad for you. Well I thought I'd give it a try. And it was darn tasty. But even if it did thicken up like it was suppose to. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much work for a staple. I'm thinking I have far more important things to spend my time worrying about.

Sorry you’re in a bit of a funk right now. When I’m in the Zone it seems so easy. “Why can’t I do this all the time?” Then a flip of the switch and I’m kicking and clawing to get back there again. One of the few sayings I keep in my pocket is from Dr. Atkins. The road to a health is as close as your next meal. I’m not quoting that because I probably botched it up real good, but you get the idea.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #508
Big Yapper!

Nicole, sweet potato? Wow! That probably would taste great in chili. Then again, after making the chili tonight and seeing how much spice there is in there, you could probably use cauliflower without noticing! I think it's a pretty good meal, honestly. There was no flour or sugar in it, so it would be easy to adapt it to a LC lifestyle with just minor substitutions. God bless substitutions.

Carrie, I hope you have an amazing time back home. I certainly hear you about skipping last year's get-together because of Noah. I hope he's doing great! You all deserve for him to be doing great.

Terri, well if you don't mind, I'll stick around. I can't say what I'm doing just yet, but if y'all are open to my company, I will happily hang with you. I still hang with the Atkins '72 group because that was "home base" when I joined LCF 3 years ago this month. I wish I could say I'm further along than I am, but I'm no where near 234.6!!!! Victory dance!!!

I don't remember if I actually made homemade mayo once or if I was just reading the recipe for homemade mayo, but when I saw the sheer volume of OIL in it, it turned me off completely. If I eat mayo, I prefer to open a jar and be as ignorant of what's really in it as I possibly can. Ignorance really IS bliss.

Yep, I'm in funk-city. The only reason I can laugh about it is I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have all of you lovely ladies in my corner. Things can only get better from here. After I'm through eating this batch of chili, I mean.

Isn't it insidious when we're in the Zone? What is the determining factor that either puts us in it or bars us from it? If I ever figure it out, I'll write a dang book! I like that paraphrased expression of Dr Atkins. It really is true. We are each on a path. Each step we take either takes us closer or farther away from where we want to go. It's nothing magical, just the facts of life. Read it and weep or leap for joy. It all depends on where you stand in this very moment how that sentence rings in your ears.

Wow. It's been so long since I talked with you fine ladies! I hope you are as happy to see me as I am to see you again. I'm still doing the horse volunteering twice a week. Monday was horrendous wet weather and it brought back memories (nightmares) of some of my worst days since I started there over 10 months ago. I was questioning if I really would be happy doing that for a living (well, part time only.) Then I think how much money I could be making if I could find just a one-day-a-week nursing gig and it makes me feel so ashamed. Where did I go? Am I totally gone?

I don't believe I'm totally gone, but far removed from where I used to be. I need to get my foot back in the door. And all that takes is finding an agency just desperate enough to take a chance on whatever nurse comes to apply. Sometimes things can work in your favor, even when you think you haven't got a snowball's chance in hell.

This is going to be a long post and you'll probably be ready for whatever else you've got planned this evening, but I just wanted to reply and say goodnight; sleep tight. Sweet dreams and all that. God bless and watch over us all tonight.

And if you have a moment, please pray for my niece's partner who had her closest cousin take his own life this morning. I know that kind of pain but I'm trying to pray for her and still keep myself from the agony, IYKWIM. Please pray for God's mercy, comfort and peace. Amen. (Thank you.)

Last edited by CherylB; 10-17-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #509
Big Yapper!

Wow, that's a lot of smilies. Sorry.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

us girls are flying to GA! Staying with my hubby's aunt. Never been there and thought it sounded fun. Mom pays for the whole trip for all of us so it is such a blessing to go.

Yes, so happy to see you Cheryl!

G'nite, ladies!