Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 143.7/139.8/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri81428 View Post
Happy Monday all! I don't get on the computer during the weekends, so have been sitting here catching up on all your posts. Nicole, it sounds like you're doing great on Paleo! Terri what an awesome little cabin, nice getaway and 2.9 isn't bad for vacation time.

I've been doing good and sticking to LC and had me a few vodka and waters over the weekend for my sometimes "S" days. I only lost 1 lb this past week, but I'll take it. Along with LC and No S, I'm going to try this 6 Week Cure. It goes in 2 week increments. The first two weeks (starting today) is 3 protein shakes and one meal (LC of course) a day. Weeks 3 and 4 are all meat and weeks 5 and 6 adds back in some carbs. So, we'll see how it goes.

Amazing how all our bodies are different in what they like for losing weight -- here's to us all finding what works best for us :-)
So is this the Eades new diet? How do you make your protein shakes? What kind of carbs to you get to add back? What are you supposed to do after week six?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole T View Post
Well I'm at least glad Paleo is working for me because I'm not sure what else I could try if it didn't! LOL What I do love about Paleo is that I do NO counting of anything so it's pretty much a no-brainer as long as there's no grains, sugar or dairy (but I do a little blue cheese or parm here and there). I actually found a shredded "cheddar" substitute at Whole Foods today to try on my chili I'm making tonight--it's made with almond milk so we'll see. I tried the Diya vegan cheese and would rather do without LOL
I was reading up on this in Dana Carpender's book a bit. (covered the bare basics). Do you eat fruit, eggs or processed things like olive oil, bacon, etc?
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #452
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sheri81428
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
So is this the Eades new diet? How do you make your protein shakes? What kind of carbs to you get to add back? What are you supposed to do after week six?
Yes, it's the Eades 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle. They have certain guidelines for your protein shake mix and the one that I have used previously meets them so I use Optimum Whey Protein. I like the vanilla because you can use certain extracts to flavor them as noted in recipes in the book. Weeks 5 & 6 you add back 10 to 12 net carbs and there are a variety of options in the menus in the book. After week six is increasing your net carbs until you find the amount at which you don't put on the pounds.

In weeks 1 & 2, you also can have absolutely no alcohol, no caffeine an no unnecessary medications. Also need to take a multi-vitamin and it says 400mg of magnesium and potassium. The book has much of the science behind low carb that we've read in Protein Power, but it was a great refresher for me to read and get reminded of things.

Day 1 wasn't hard for me, but I had already been eating LC religiously for five weeks so I'm not really sure how much this protocol will do for me other than it clearly lowers my calories so I should see more weight loss. Also, protein shakes have been a part of my LC eating anyway, so other than being so specifically restrictive for straight periods of time, it's not much different than how I've been eating.

Damn... the more I read stuff, I should have written a book back in '03 -- could be rich by now, LOL!
sheri81428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #453
Junior LCF Member

Oh, and for weeks 1 & 2 the one meal a day can be at any time of day you choose, Bkfst, lunch or dinner and it can change from day to day.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #454
Junior LCF Member

Terri, If you want to try it, you might want to get the book as in the first two weeks, the meals are actually specified in the book. Great variety of meals to choose from. Or, if you try it without the book, just keep your carbs very low. For example the breakfasts are all protein with say a 1/2 cup of berries. Lunches have salads and some veggies added to protein main dish and dinners are much like the lunches.

I much prefer the plan I had made up but I saw this and figured what the heck, for six week and I still don't have to count anything. Other than lower calorie intake, it pretty much what I've been doing.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #455
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Sheri! I canít wait to see how it works for you, especially since itís just tweaking what youíre doing now.

I went to basically your plan for the last couple days with special emphasis on higher fat and Iím down almost half of my vacation bump. Right now Iím so busy at work, thatís about all I can do with zero time to track anything. But like you, Iíve been doing LC so long itís really a no brainer for me. And the last year or so Iíve been dabbling with Fat Fast, so Iím trying to mesh the two.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #456
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
Quote:
I was reading up on this in Dana Carpender's book a bit. (covered the bare basics). Do you eat fruit, eggs or processed things like olive oil, bacon, etc?
Almost forgot to answer you...sorry! I definitely eat eggs--at least 3 a day. I try not to cook with olive oil (use mostly coconut oil and ghee or butter if I don't have ghee made). I eat bacon almost every day also. Try to get that from my local farm where I get my eggs and raw milk (for my boys) but it's NOT cheap at $8 a pound so I sometimes have to go with "mainstream bacon" LOL

I rarely eat fruit but that's just because I never was a huge fruit eater. When I do, I usually eat strawberries. Funny enough I did have an orange today with lunch. I saw it in the fridge, got a craving for it, so I ate it I try to steer clear of bananas since they make me gain like crazy (found this out the hard way when I tried Weight Watchers with their new unlimited fruit!).
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Almost forgot to answer you...sorry! I definitely eat eggs--at least 3 a day. I try not to cook with olive oil (use mostly coconut oil and ghee or butter if I don't have ghee made). I eat bacon almost every day also. Try to get that from my local farm where I get my eggs and raw milk (for my boys) but it's NOT cheap at $8 a pound so I sometimes have to go with "mainstream bacon" LOL

I rarely eat fruit but that's just because I never was a huge fruit eater. When I do, I usually eat strawberries. Funny enough I did have an orange today with lunch. I saw it in the fridge, got a craving for it, so I ate it I try to steer clear of bananas since they make me gain like crazy (found this out the hard way when I tried Weight Watchers with their new unlimited fruit!).
That made me laugh! My weight watchers leader used to always say "no one gets fat on bananas" when we used to steer clear of bananas because they were 2 points instead of 1. Wrong!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #458
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks Sheri! I canít wait to see how it works for you, especially since itís just tweaking what youíre doing now.

I went to basically your plan for the last couple days with special emphasis on higher fat and Iím down almost half of my vacation bump. Right now Iím so busy at work, thatís about all I can do with zero time to track anything. But like you, Iíve been doing LC so long itís really a no brainer for me. And the last year or so Iíve been dabbling with Fat Fast, so Iím trying to mesh the two.
Glad it's working for you! What is Fat Fast? I haven't heard of it but have seen it posted many times.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri81428 View Post
Glad it's working for you! What is Fat Fast? I haven't heard of it but have seen it posted many times.
The first is the orignial Fat Fast. The others are some threads on Nutritional Ketosis I've been reading up on, but haven't tried yet.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...rs-thread.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-low-carb.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...is-thread.html

My modified version of the fat fast 5.8lbs lost in less than 3 days!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Ok ladies...I may have found the holy grail of the bread dilemma we all have! Since I ALWAYS seem to get in trouble for posting links here, you'll have to google it yourself but you should come up with the recipe if you google "maria health blogspot toasted sub sandwich".

I am going to watch her video and then make these right away today and use one for lunch. I get uber excited at the thought of putting this in a panini press with yummy fillings! I have two of Maria's books and they are very good but she does use a decent amount of dairy which I can't use anymore. If you eat dairy and are low-carb, she's the woman for you!!! I LOVE how she explains in great detail the scientific and health reasons to use the different ingredients (she focuses a lot on hormones and being balanced).
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Nicole! That looks seriously great. I'm going to try that this weekend. Let us know what you think if you try it first. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow Nicole! That looks seriously great. I'm going to try that this weekend. Let us know what you think if you try it first. Thanks!
I have two loaves in the oven now and they are looking VERY promising (rising huge and looking like two yummy hoagie rolls!).
Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #463
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh and did you see the video of her using that same dough to make calazones? Please, please let this taste good and be the answer to all of our low carb bread options
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The problem I've had in the past (limited that it is) has been the almond meal products have been awfully dry. With a sandwich bread and the addition of mayo I'm thinking this might not be such an issue.

By the way, anyone have a favorite homemade mayo recipe. I am a big fan of Best Foods (I think its called Hellman's in other parts of the country). I'm looking for something as close to that as possible, without the soybean oil of course.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The problem I've had in the past (limited that it is) has been the almond meal products have been awfully dry. With a sandwich bread and the addition of mayo I'm thinking this might not be such an issue.

By the way, anyone have a favorite homemade mayo recipe. I am a big fan of Best Foods (I think its called Hellman's in other parts of the country). I'm looking for something as close to that as possible, without the soybean oil of course.
If you use Blanched Almond Flour from Honeyville farms, it won't turn out like that. I have had that problem with coconut flour recipes but never with my almond flour ones (not almond meal). And I just tasted this bread and it is in NO WAY dry! My post with pics is coming
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

Ok ladies, THIS IS IT! This is THE bread recipe we have all been waiting for. It worked, it tasted amazing and even looks like the real deal! I made two large hoagie rolls out of the recipe but would probably make 3 next time since these things are BIG. I did get a bit of a sink hole in one half of the loaves but it's nothing major and it may have been that I left an air pocket when I formed the loaves since I was scared of over-working the dough.

To say I am excited would be a very large understatement!

(it turned the pic sideways for some reason but you get the picture!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-11.jpg (36.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #467
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
oooo, can't wait to try this recipe, nicole! please post pics??

i have had psyllium forever and now have something to try it with.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

whoop and there they are!! lol!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

looks fabulous, nicole! what did/will you make with it?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #470
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
whoop and there they are!! lol!
It truly is unreal considering I've tried using almond flour before to make bread and it just turns into a dense teeny, tiny loaf that tastes like almond. This is a genuine hoagie roll that even feels like a hoagie roll (crisp on the outside and moist on the inside).

Here are some places my thoughts went with this...
  • made as breadsticks and dipped in marinara
  • made into a calazone
  • dipped in olive oil like in the restaurants
  • cheesteak sub

The possibilities are endless
Old 10-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
looks fabulous, nicole! what did/will you make with it?
Unfortunately I hadn't planned on making these today so I don't really have anything special to do with them but I do have sliced roast beef so I plan on making a hoagie today with avocado, mayo and roast beef
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It truly is unreal considering I've tried using almond flour before to make bread and it just turns into a dense teeny, tiny loaf that tastes like almond. This is a genuine hoagie roll that even feels like a hoagie roll (crisp on the outside and moist on the inside).

Here are some places my thoughts went with this...
  • made as breadsticks and dipped in marinara
  • made into a calazone
  • dipped in olive oil like in the restaurants
  • cheesteak sub

The possibilities are endless
excellant ideas!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
If you use Blanched Almond Flour from Honeyville farms, it won't turn out like that. I have had that problem with coconut flour recipes but never with my almond flour ones (not almond meal). And I just tasted this bread and it is in NO WAY dry! My post with pics is coming
Oh I am so trying these this weekend and I have time to plan And you know, now that you mention it, I think in my limited experience I have added coconut flour to most if not all of my trials. So maybe it was that all along
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
excellant ideas!
French Toast too!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

here's my loaf!!

haven't tried it yet, but couldn't wait to make it.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #476
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

here's my loaf!!

haven't tried it yet, but couldn't wait to make it.
Can't wait to see what you think. Just to warn you--it might have a slight purplish tint to it. Apparently unless you grind your own psyllium, that happens. I'm going to try it with coconut flour next to see what the flavor is like.

BTW--it toasts well too!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #477
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I have to disagree with "Skinny people don't eat that crap" I know lots of skinny people who eat sugar-free stuff...diet drinks, etc. I also know lots of skinny people who eat real sugar stuff...my bf is skinny and LOVES sugar.

Sounds like a really neat diet though. Thanks for sharing!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

so here's my brekky samich.

it's yummy.

bread is wee bit too salty so will reduce salt next time. and it wasn't baked quite long enough so will bake it longer next time. texture is 100% bread-like but definitely more so than other LC breads.

i buttered the inside and toasted it under the broiler before putting my egg/sausage scramble on top.

thanks again, nicole for posting about this. you'll let up know how the coconut version turns out?

Last edited by dazygyrl; 10-12-2012 at 06:01 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #479
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

so here's my brekky samich.

it's yummy.

bread is wee bit too salty so will reduce salt next time. and it wasn't baked quite long enough so will bake it longer next time. texture is 100% bread-like but definitely more so than other LC breads.

i buttered the inside and toasted it under the broiler before putting my egg/sausage scramble on top.

thanks again, nicole for posting about this. you'll let up know how the coconut version turns out?
I think I underbaked mine a tad too. Next time I think I'll do 65 min instead of 55-60. I probably won't get to try the coconut until early next week since I'll be away all weekend, but yes, I will certainly let you know!

Oh and just a little FYI...you may find yourself in the bathroom a bit more later this afternoon/tonight It's not bad like diarrhea or anything...just that the psyllium husk adds a decent amount of insoluable fiber and that may cause you to "go" a bit more. I actually welcome that side effect since I wasn't exactly regular for the past week or so. But let's just say that I'm not having this bread for lunch since I'll be in the car from 5pm-10pm driving to Connecticut LOL Maria actually has tips for how to slowly increase your fiber until your body is used to a higher level but I in no way was willing to not eat this bread yesterday once it was done cooking

Last edited by Nicole T; 10-12-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

that was my only ehhhh, in trying this was all the fiber. i already visit the bathroom, ahem, plenty...the way it is. too much fiber gives me more problems in the gassy area than in the bathroom area, which is not nice!! lol... but...will know mre on that later today.

btw i meant above that it wasN'T 100% bread-like, but more so than other lc breads.