Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Back home and on Day 1 of my 10 day detox. Step 1 for me! I'm at a loss as to what to eat as I haven't done any grocery shopping for a week. So far it's been eggs, cheese & nuts. Not sure what I'll have for dinner. No more sourdough bread for me!

Sounds like you all are coming up with some great ideas. Keep up the great work!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
I really missed italian food on step 1 so I started using spaghetti squash quite often. Even my husband loves it and it has really filled a void for me. This morning I tried a new recipe it was called coconut oatmeal. It was pretty good however coconut is quite grainy. I would make it again though. I also made some pecan scones that were wonderful! At lunch I tried a recipe I saw for asparagus which I baked with garlic, sea salt and shredded Parmesan and had two easy over eggs. That combination was really good. Tonight will be a meatball casserole. I search the internet like crazy for ideas and have pinned them to my pinterest not to loose them. Step 1 has always been pretty simple and comfortable for me. A great snack is dipping sugar snap peas in dip or laughing cow cheese. If you want any of these recipes I will post them!
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #243
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mushymilkfor2
Start Date: 2/1/2014
Hi, everybody!

My husband and I just started this MM this last Saturday. It's something we have done before, but we never made it out of step one, unfortunately. But we did have great success in the (I think) 5 weeks we did it the first time.

So, now we are going to do it again and really make a huge effort to actually see it all the way to the end.
mushymilkfor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Mushy!

Day 2 of Detox is going well. Went and got a lovely salad for lunch. We're going out for dinner to celebrate our son's birthday tonight...could be a bit of a challenge. Nothing I can't handle!

Keep it up everyone!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Mush best of luck to you and the hubby! MM does have great results if we all just hang in there!! Personally I enjoy step 1 and will probably stay on it for some time. When I post I will include some foods for ideas that I am having. This morning I had turkey bacon and coconut pancakes for breakfast. Tonight will be Taco soup which is very meaty and one of my favorite meals, hubby loves it also. If you see anything I post you want the recipe for just let me know.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #246
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
Welcome mushymilk!

Grac4, I would love that pecan scones recipe!!

I made the mashed cauliflower (like mashed potatoes) last night, and oh man it was good! Loved it. You just add chicken broth, a little bit of butter, garlic and sour cream, and some salt and pepper, boil and blend it up. I think I might have liked it more than actual mashed potatoes!

Does anyone know if you workout for a long time one day, say like 90 minutes, can that count as your 30 minutes for another day as well? I doubt it, but thought I would ask.

I'm still kind of struggling with eating out. It's still pretty tough to find anything to eat during lunch especially (because everything is a sandwich or a wrap or warm, hearty soups with beans and stuff) other than plain old salads. We were out of the office again today for work so we had to go out to eat, but I am liking it MUCH more when I'm in the office and can bring my own stuff just bc it's less of a tempting hassle.
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Pecan Scones

2 eggs
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 cup almond flour or almond meal, packed
2 tablespoons coconut flour, packed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of almond or maple extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 325.
Whisk together eggs, oil, and agave.
Add all dry ingredients except pecans. Combine well.
Stir in pecans.
Scoop onto parchment-lined or silpat-lined cookie sheet (about 12).
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!

I did not use agave it is a big NO NO! I used 2 tbl granulated splenda. Right out of the oven it is hard to stop eating them. I also didn't have almond extract so I used butter extract.

Rubatron when I eat out each week with my hubby we always go to a buffet where I can choose meats and vegetables and a large salad and it always satisfies me. If you girls could find my pinterest page you would see lots of recipes I have on there to try with pictures. Does anyone know how we could do that or would be interested?

Unfortunately yes we are suppose to work out 5 days no matter what : (
Old 02-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Hi, all. Having a bit of a tough day (I work in a very, very difficult situation) and I am in the mood to snack! I just had my salad for lunch, very virtuous, but I am trying not to go off the rails due to my emotional state. I will grab a few vanilla and cocoa almonds and hope it suffices. Grac4, thanks for the scone recipe!! Where would we find you on Pinterest? Sounds like I can use some of your recipes! Welcome, Mushy...
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Grac4, taco soup recipe?

Well, I made it through the day without cheating but I had a little splurge on my pm 5x5: 1 cup of popcorn. It was delicious! For dinner, pork loin chop breaded with almond meal, green beans, and some cottage cheese with a few sliced grape tomatoes and some Mrs. Dash. And a glass of red wine did help.

Hope everyone is doing well. I can't believe I am into week 5. I am getting a little nervous about Step 2 but I will gladly welcome berries and yogurt back into my diet. Just hope I keep losing...
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Taco Soup

1 lb of ground beef

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon of cumin

1 teaspoon of chili powder

8 ounces of cream cheese

2 10 ounce cans of Rotel tomatoes

1 can of beef broth

3/4 – 1 cup of heavy cream

Brown your ground beef and drain off the excess fat. Add in the minced garlic and onion and cook until the onion is clear. Add in your spices (cumin & chili powder) and let cook at minute. In the meantime, cube your softened cream chess. Add the cream cheese to the meat mixture and combine until the cream cheese has melted.

Once the cream cheese completely coats the meat mixture, add your 2 cans of Rotel, 1 can of beef broth, and 3/4-1 cup of heavy cream (depending on how creamy you like it). Stir well, bring to a slow boil, and you’re done!

Enjoy!

The only thing I change on this is I add one can tomatoes instead of two Rotel. The reason is there is less carbs in plain tomatoes, I stay with 5 carbs per serving in the tomatoes and there is 3.5 servings in a can. Then I add some red pepper flakes because we like ours spicy. I also use one full tablespoon Chili powder instead of the teaspoon. If you don't have beef broth use a beef bouillon cube in a cup of water.

I made almond flour biscuits with this and a salad and the hubby and I loved it.

Southside do you have pinterest? I think you can maybe find me by name Diane LaRue.
I have so many wonderful recipes on there!!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Oh my, that Taco soup recipe sounds wonderful! I'm going to be throwing that together this weekend! Thanks!

Stayed on plan well last night when we were out to dinner. I had a small chicken breast with mixed veg on the side and an order of scallops wrapped in bacon...yum! Oh...and NO birthday cake!

We are in the middle of a snow storm so I'll be scrounging for lunch today. Probably just cheese sticks and turkey pepperoni. Since I was away over the weekend, I didn't have time to prepare anything for lunches this week. Today there will be no running out for lunch with all this snow! 6-12 inches predicted. I'm ready for Spring and golf season!

Have a good day!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #252
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the recipes, grac4! Both sound super tasty! I will find you on Pinterest.

I had salmon last night for dinner and some leftover mashed cauliflower, still so good. I also made those cinnamon muffins that are in the book, and I like those more than the chocolate ones! (Though I did kind of screw up the chocolate recipe so I should try that again.)

My enthusiasm for working out is definitely lacking this week, I have not been waking up early enough to get one in before work and am really not a fan of doing it after work, but I just have to suck it up.

Stay strong, southside girl!!!!! I always get super cranky when I haven't eaten, but even a spoonful of the natural peanut butter helps.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement, all. It does help me to see what others are eating--gives me some ideas beyond my own narrow meals.

Had an almond milk shake for breakfast (almond milk, PB2 chocolate peanut butter flavor) and it was actually very tasty. I also snuck in a 4-carb biscotti with my coffee as my 5x5 and it was a treat. So I'm good for now. Lunch will be a chopped salad with turkey, Asian dressing, and sliced almonds for texture. Who knows about dinner? I have chicken in the fridge so it will be some sort of poultry dish...

The worst time for me is at night, when I would have had some carby snack like a handful of crackers and cheese or popcorn or fruit. It's coming, I know. Thanks to all for the support!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

The hubby is home today so I had to come up with a special breakfast for him. He is on the road 4 days so when he is home I try and cook good for him. Again searching the internet like crazy I found a recipe for biscuits and gravy. They were wonderful for sure!! The biscuits were made with almond flour and the base for the gravy was cream cheese and chicken broth and I added sausage and seasoned to our taste. He was so happy with it. I have found if I search hard enough and with some work I can replace about anything we use to enjoy. Do find my pinterest because there are so many ideas on there. I haven't tried all of them but I will let you know as I do the ones we really liked. There will be no lunch after that breakfast, just got to see what he wants for dinner. We can all do this!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

The biscuits & gravy sound wonderful too! You girls are great cooks! I'm going to buy ingredients for the Taco soup at the market today. Can't wait to make that one!

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Last night I made the hubby a pizza with almond flour crust and I made the sauce by blending the canned tomatoes as to keep sugar down in the sauce. He loved the pizza, even ate the last two pieces for his breakfast! I also Made him a peanut butter pie with almond flour you combine with choc protein powder and butter then the filling was cream cheese, peanut butter, heavy cream and sweetener. Of course you want to eat small portions, it is rich but nearly no countable carbs. It was really good!!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #257
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: asra2870
WOE: MM
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
Wow i love reading these recipe ideas, thanks!
asra2870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, all, and happy Saturday. Well, I went a bit off the rails last night. Hubs and I went out for our usual Mexican night and I ate four tortilla chips with salsa! I stopped after four, and then just had my fajita chicken and grilled veggies, but each of those chips had a net carb count of 1.5 or so, so I did blow the 5x5 rule. I am going to hope it was a small enough slip that it doesn't knock me out of ketosis. But I have to tell you, they were so delicious...

I am going to just get back on track today. This is the end of week 5 for me and I am going to soldier on. I hope it isn't that big a deal as long as it doesn't happen again. Thoughts?

Trying out a new biscotti recipe with fewer carbs than my favorites. Ate up all the almond bars and there is one more chocolate muffin in the freezer. Just trying to find ways to make the next three weeks more enjoyable! Grac4, how did you make that pizza crust? I did the cauli crust last week and it was okay but not the same. I want to use roasted red peppers for the sauce...

Have a good weekend, everyone! Back on track. Can't beat myself up over one small slip-up.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Pizza Crust

Almond Flour Pizza Crust

2 cups Almond Flour

2 eggs, beaten

3 Tblspns Olive oil

1/4 tspn baking soda

3 tblspns oregano

1/2 tspn garlic powder (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl together to make a dough. Form into a ball.
Line a baking sheet or pizza pan with greased proof or parchment paper. Spread out the dough mixture across the paper. It will be sticky, so I find having damp hands helped.

Bake the crust for 10 – 15 minutes until lightly golden.Remove from the oven and spread over your toppings. Place back in the oven and cook for a further 15 – 20 minutes.
Slice, eat and enjoy!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Southside don't beat yourself up we do our best! Remember if we have decided we are indeed met B this is a life time way of eating. Honestly for me even step one is way better then any starving calorie counting diet I have had in the past. I love step one and plan to stay in it for awhile. My hard parts is getting in all the water so today I started mixing it with lemon juice and a little sweetener and it is actually good.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

No worries SSgirl. You can always add a couple days to Step 1 if you feel it necessary.

My 10 day detox hasn't been perfect. I made the mistake on Friday of not eating much all day following a very strenuous boot camp workout and by dinner time I was SO hungry I was frantic. We went to an Italian restaurant and I ate 1 piece of Italian bread and had a seafood dish that had cheese tortellini in it. I enjoyed every bite and yesterday I got right back on track. I made the Taco soup yesterday. It's very yummy, but spicy!! I didn't measure my spices, I just "eyeball" it. Plus, I added some crushed red pepper flakes. I haven't used Rotel tomatoes before and didn't realize how hot the chilies were. I guess I should have bought the mild variety.

Today I'm trying Roast Beef in my new electronic pressure cooker. I hope it works out ok...I'm a bit nervous about using a pressure cooker.

Have a good Sunday everyone. More snow coming today for us. Sigh....
Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the support and the recipe, ladies! I did fine yesterday, and this morning I am sitting here with a cup of coffee with cinnamon and nutmeg with no appetite at all. I need to eat something but nothing is appealing. I guess I could make a breakfast shake with almond milk, protein powder, and powdered chocolate peanut butter, which I love. But I am not really hungry at all.

Poor hubby is dying to go to our favorite pizza place but won't until I can eat a slice with him. I told him I could eat a salad and the toppings, no worries, but he knows the crust is my fave and it will be hard to resist. I am going to have my daughter take him there for lunch next Friday. He is very supportive.

And Lori, take your own advice and don't sweat yesterday!

I am not sure if I am totally Met B as my blood work is perfect, but I have a lot of the other symptoms, so I am going on that assumption that is is a plan for me. I have to keep reminding myself, "big picture..." I got I into a pair of size 8 jeans yesterday that I haven't been able to wear in a year, so I call that progress! Onward and downward (on the scale, that is). Happy Sunday! You all have no idea how much your input helps, so thanks again!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 02-09-2014 at 07:36 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #263
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: asra2870
WOE: MM
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
Hey all,

I have to confess-I made a few poor food choices..hormones were raging and cravings all over the place. =/ so will be adding a few days to Step 1. I was feeling the exact same way as SSGirl mentioned, and was really glad to hear words of encouragement. Grac4 is on point. This isn't a diet for me, its a lifestyle change. I'm willing to make that time and investment bc I really was neglecting my health before hand. I have been keeping up with my workouts and eating as clean as possible which is a major personal win for me..im learning not to sweat the little hiccups. Especially since its gonna be 6 weeks…=O still in shock. I am getting thru this because of u all. so a huge thank you =) Take care!
asra2870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Great attitudes everyone!! We have to think of this as just the way we eat now........most of the time. This is especially true for Step 2 where you introduce just a few carbs every 4-5 hours. I'll be glad to get back on Step 2 once I finish my detox this week.

My main focus is fitness right now and I'm hoping the MM eating plan will help get my blood sugar down and also result in weight loss, even if it is very slow. I'm in this for the long haul!

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

asra, can you believe we are in week 6? I can't! I didn't think I would make it this far. I am really looking forward to Step 2. I cannot wait to add some variety to my diet. I have been missing beans, and I'll be thrilled to make chili even if I have to keep the beans in it low. It's one of my favorite cold-weather foods (not that it's been cold here--it's supposed to be 77 today) and I haven't had any since January 1!

The support is so helpful. I check this board a couple times a day, because the feedback and ideas are so valuable. Thanks to all who contribute!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

SSgirl.......I make chili without beans. I just add all kinds of veggies. Sliced mushrooms, diced red & yellow peppers, sliced zucchini, sometimes shredded cabbage anything for bulk. I love it with a dollop of sour cream for lunch on a cold day!

I'm eating Taco soup for lunch today! Yum!!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Lori, I have tried to make just a meat and veggie chili, but it's not the same! Even once I can add just a couple tablespoons of beans (about 3 net carbs per T) it will make all the difference . Almost there!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #268
Junior LCF Member

I am just starting week 4. Last week was tough, I have been getting bored with my snacks - it's always either a cheese stick, sugarfree jello, or a spoonful of peanut butter, or maybe some celery if I'm feeling ambitious. I did try some of the other recipes in the book. Yesterday, I made the little soy pancakes, but we didn't have low-carb syrup so I ate them with peanut butter, not a fan! My fiance liked them, but he was eating them with the syrup we did have, which is a shocking 54 grams of carbs per serving!!! I also made the ricotta pudding, and that is a great late-night treat! Also made the broccoli and cheese casserole side and that was tasty as well.

I did pretty well with food over the weekend. I didn't even eat any pizza when my friends all went out to a pizza-by-the-slice place after we went to a bar. I did slip up on my alcohol consumption, I definitely went over the two recommended glasses of wine, whoops. At least it wasn't beer? I also only worked out four days instead of five. Ugh.

Here is to more motivation this week! I think the one thing that's truly been the hardest for me is like the social component of not eating carbs. It's hard to not go along with the group when they are all ordering craft beers and eating nachos!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

I feel your pain, Rubatron. I am so tired of cheese, veggies, deli meat, and almonds (which are pretty caloric). I have measured out 16 Goldfish but boy, that isn't much! I have eaten a few tortilla chips when my husband and I go out to dinner, but that's my 5x5 for the night. I am really looking forward to Step 2 when I can add a little more variety to my diet... Eight weeks is a LONG time! I think MM will be manageable once we get deeper into the oncoming steps, but boy, Step 1 is tough. I have been pretty spotty on the exercise, too. I usually work out 3x a week but I also walk to/from my parking structure and that's 10 minutes each way. I also try to take the stairs as often as possible because it's not easy for me to get to the gym five days a week. Bleh!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

My goodness ladies, we need to cheer up!! Honestly if you have time start a search for low carb foods, you would be shocked what you can come up with. Like this morning I had a cream cheese muffin that was delicious. Last night I gad a chicken breast with peppercorn ranch and Parmesan cheese with baked broccoli that was tossed in olive oil, sea salt, pepper and anything else you might like. I had a salad with it. No countable carbs. Tonight will be broccoli and cheese cream soup with grilled cheese on coconut bread. Again no countable carbs. Really if you search there is so much out there but it does require cooking. My work out room reminds me of when I was a teenager lol. I have my equipment, turn on my music, set my Nook on my treadmill and walk for at least 30 min. Reading really passes the time and makes it enjoyable. I pin all recipes I find as to always see things I can have rather then what I can't have. I have found replacements for almost anything I use to love. I also went back to joining miracleville for the constant support and getting any questions answered I may have. It is great support for me. I have a jug of my 64 oz of water with the addition of some lemon juice and allowable sweetener to make sure I get my water intake. In my mind I say, at least if I am hungry I can eat and there has not been a program I have been on in the past where I could satisfy my hunger!!