Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Monday again!

Had a good weekend and had a planned splurge yesterday. I made 5 qts of beef noodle soup for the husband and I decided to have a bowl. OMG was it good!! My body is still in "carb shock"!!

Back on plan today. I leave on Thursday morning for San Francisco and there will be NO following any plan. Between grabbing something in airports and going out with my friends, it will be off the charts! No worries, I'm already planning 10 days of Step 1 when I return.

Have a good week!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
Well this is my new drink--
1/4c cream, 3/4c water, 1tsp instant decaf, stevia to taste, little vanilla, dash of salt, 1T cocoa powder, 4 ice cubes, blend till thick. YUM
I put 2 eggs in it also yesterday morning (cudnt tell at all). YUM
I put my ground flax seeds in it today (cudnt even tell). YUM
and let me tell u, this tides me over WELL.
If ur worried about the fat, u cud just use 2T cream.
totally kills any cravings!
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

if u have such a small amount to lose, SSgirl, i highly doubt u will lose it in 8 wks. this is about readjusting ur body and losing PURE FAT, not lbs so much. u may look like u lost it even, but the scale doesnt reflect it. fat takes up much more space than muscle and bone. i dont have the bk rite now to look at, but theres charts in the back to show how much u'll lose acc to wat u started with and how tall u are.
even at 200 lbs, it says one wud lose 6-10 lbs i think. thats very discouraging to be soooo heavy, obese rly, and lose an amount no one will even notice! BUT if u keep on to step 2, u'll KEEP losing, unlike going off induction on atkins, say, and plateauing or even gaining.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #214
Senior LCF Member

You are exactly right Helene! I am quite heavy and my range was 6-13 lbs and I lost 6.5 in Step 1. I was discouraged at first, but I sure looked and felt like I had lost more. Not sure how Step 2 is treating me as I won't weigh till mid March after I get back from vacation, do my 10 day "clean up" on Step 1 and then resume the final 4 weeks of my first 8 weeks of Step 2. I'll have many rounds of Step 2 to get to my goal. Slow but sure!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

my goal is 125-130lbs, so i have AGES to go. 60lbs easy. It's very frustrating. but this is the only way that works for me. SIGH
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Thanks for the feedback and support, Helene and Lori. I don't mean to sound impatient but it is hard for me to believe that I will only lose 3-5 lbs in eight weeks (per the book), especially as I monitor calories and weight train as well as row. I know she doesn't say to count calories but I have been doing it for so many years that it is second nature to me, and I still think there is sound basis in "calories in vs calories out," thought know from experience that carbs are less than ideal calories for me. I lost 50 lbs back in my early 20s (stable between 135 and 140) and kept it off, even through two pregnancies. The onset of middle age had some of the weight creeping back on and I am currently at 148, so I want to lose 13 pounds and then stay stable. Though it is somewhat discouraging, I am going to try to stay the course in the hopes that it will allow me to level things off and more easily maintain my weight. We shall see. I am already in week 4.

Lori, have a fantastic time in SFO! If you stay active you will likely be fine--it is such a walking city, you will get your workout in every day.

Sorry to be such a downer. Thanks for the support.
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

You'll do great on MM SSGirl. The important thing to remember is that you're losing pure fat on this plan. You don't want to sacrifice your precious muscle just to see a lower number on the scale.

Fat be gone!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Lori! You are right--I don't want to lose muscle, because I work too hard to get it. I HATE lifting weights, but I do it because I want to tone things up and also have that extra muscle burning fat for me all day long! My calves are getting really muscular. If only my thighs and upper arms would follow... I think I'm going to back down on the lower body for a bit and really concentrate on upper body. Maybe two days upper and one day lower, rather than the opposite.

Enjoy your trip and splurge a little. It's what keeps us from going crazy. I've been missing my morning biscotti a lot, so this weekend I baked up some little bars out of almond meal, cocoa, baking Splenda (not too bad in this) and egg whites, and while they don't have the texture of biscotti, they are quite tasty and go well with my morning coffee, so I'm not feeling so deprived. Just having to make adaptations. Last night for a late night snack I had a cheese crisp from my last 5x5 carb (low carb tortilla and reduced fat cheese, with a T of spicy salsa) and it worked out great to kill the taste for a quesadilla. So I'm learning.

Have a great time and drink some good red wine from Napa!

SSG
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #219
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
I tried that cauliflower pizza crust over the weekend and it was delicious! I'm into day 9, feeling pretty good. My stomach still kind of hurts after I drink protein shakes, I'm hoping that changes soon.

SSGirl, muscle weighs more than fat, but looks a gazillion times better! So I would definitely keep with the weight training. I'm sure it will workout better in the long run than not doing any.

So far, I think I've adjusted pretty well. I'm not craving carbs, but I don't really have that feeling she describes in the book, almost like a euphoric, stepping-out-of-a-cloud feeling... I feel more energetic I would say though.

I finally got my soy flour last night and can't wait to make those chocolate muffins for my 5x5 carb! However, the recipe calls for like a cup of Splenda I think, so I hope it doesn't taste too fake-sugary.

I must admit I have been eating a bit more bacon than I probably should on this step, I just can't stand turkey bacon. Need to at least soak up the grease from it a bit!

Good luck today everybody! Almost half way through the week.
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

if u do only lose the 3-5lbs on step 1 just try step2 for a couple mos. u need to know how to maintain any loss anyway, rite?
and its rly about how ur clothes fit anyway...if u've gone down a size or 2, u win!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

I have to admit that I'm not doing Step 2 properly this week. I find myself going hours and hours without eating anything. That is a no-no as I'm supposed to have between 11 and 20 grams of carb every 5 hrs. Oops......

Sometimes when I do eat, I'm not eating my carb allotment. I guess I'm gearing up for my return to Step 1 for 10 days following my weekend away!

Keep up the good work girls!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubatron View Post
I finally got my soy flour last night and can't wait to make those chocolate muffins for my 5x5 carb! However, the recipe calls for like a cup of Splenda I think, so I hope it doesn't taste too fake-sugary.

I used the granulated Splenda for baking, and they are not too fakey-sweet. They are actually quite tasty. I warm mine for about 15 seconds in the microwave and is is very good!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

ive got a tasty dish i made:
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
now b4 u say EEEEWWWWW, roasting makes almost any veggie taste DELICIOUS. it brings out a sweetness almost. this is an easy recipe too!

1 bag sliced brussel sprouts (at least 4-6c worth if ur slicing them by hand)
1/2 onion, diced
s&p to taste (start w/ 1/4tsp, but i used more)
2T fat; EVO will work, but bacon gives it a tremendous flavor
vinegar to taste or lemon juice wud work if u HATE vinegar
i melted the fat on the jellyroll pan while the oven preheated to 400. then i dumped sprouts and onion on. used a spatula to coat veggies and then added rest, and coated again. i baked about 20 min total, turning 3 times. browned and yummy!
today i ate the leftovers for lunch and added shredded Parmegiano Regiano, yeah the good stuff! AWESOME
~~licking lips~~ now what can i roast?

Last edited by Hélène; 01-28-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

I, for one, LOVE Brussels sprouts! With bacon they are divine!

I'm trying to stick to plan today, but won't be easy as hubby wants to go out for dinner tonight and is thinking Italian. Oh well......might as well jump off the wagon as tomorrow thru Sunday will be a train wreck!

I'm getting up at 3 and want to be heading for the airport by 4. Flight is 6:30AM. I should be in San Fran around 11AM. I have to grab a paperback for the flight as I don't want to bother with my Kindle. If I lay the paperback down somewhere and lose it, no big deal. If I lose my Kindle I would cry!

I'll check on you all next week!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #225
Junior LCF Member

Helene, that sounds delicious! I love brussel sprouts, and actually brought some for work with me today.

I made the chocolate muffins last night. I halved the recipe but mistakenly put in the full amount of water, so the muffins were pretty flat and unpuffy. Whoops! But the taste was spot on! I ended up putting some of the extra batter in a little pan used to make tortilla shells and had that as a snack, I think it might have gone over the serving size, but since the recipe was watered down, I'm hoping it all comes out even...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

How funny, I roasted some Brussels sprouts on Sunday night! Love them. Just drizzled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted til dark. Delicious! I don't usually add anything to them, but once in a while I like a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Rubatron, my muffins kind of sank in the middle as they cooled, but they are still tasty.

Last night I grilled some peppers and onions to go with my grilled chicken for lunch; I'll add a touch of light sour cream and a T of guacamole and salsa--instant fajita bowl. I am branching out in my 5x5s as I broke down and bought the list. I found a 4 g carb yogurt and will have that as a treat for dessert at lunch, and tonight I plan to have some whole grain Goldfish crackers with my light cheese and red wine. Feels like a splurge but it's all in the program! The variety is helping me stay on plan. Congrats to all for hanging in there with me.

Lori, enjoy your break! We are hoping to go to Hawaii in March for spring break and if I do I'll be massively off plan because there is no way I won't be eating all that awesome fruit!!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #227
Junior LCF Member

Had some delicious fish last night with broccoli and salad. But I had to go out for lunch yesterday because I was working outside of the office, and I'll just say it was kind of tough to stay on the plan. I ordered a salad and a cup of soup. The salad had chicken which had some barbecue glaze on it which I don't think is okay on the plan, ugh. It was pretty light though, and I skipped over my 5x5 carb for that time period so I hope I'm still okay with that. Also the salad came with a nice hunk of home-made, fresh bread. I literally had to push the bread to the other side of the table, it was tempting! And then the soup had little bits of carrots at the bottom, I think I avoided all those pieces though.

Good luck with the weekend everyone! I know I'm going to have to rely more on my willpower for the Super Bowl, we are going to a friend's place and I'm sure they'll make some appetizers. I will bring a few things to make sure I can eat!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Sooo. I had to go to the doctor today for a weird pain I am having in my ribs (costochondritis, basically inflammation from an injury but nothing serious) and they weighed me. I tried to look away but the nurse congratulated me on being down...and since I started MM four weeks ago I am down 6 pounds! I know that is WAY beyond what I am supposed to expect but I swear I have stayed on plan and under 1200 cals per day, along with freaking exercise. I think I still want to lose at least another 10 or 12, based on what I weighed two years ago and which I maintained without too much heartache.

We are off to our traditional Friday night Mexican night and I didn't think I could manage it but I have been pleasantly surprised. I eat two chips (I know, right?) but I break them up into small pieces and just eat them with a little salsa, for the taste. Last week I ordered a fajita burrito and just cut open the tortilla and it was delicious. It had grilled peppers and onions and chicken, and hubs let me steal a small spoonful of his sour cream and guacamole. That may be the order of the day.

I am discovering a lot of ways to prepare the allowed veggies to get some variety in my diet. I also got the 5x5 carb list from MM and found some things that have allowed me to feel more human. You can have one Hershey's mini or two kisses. Well, I only need half of one or one kiss to curb the taste, so it's all good. And I LOVE those Kind bars, and you can have half of the walnut/mac or nut delight bar. So yay! I feel like I've added all sorts of treats into my diet! Variety helps.

Lori, I hope you are having a GREAT trip and no regrets!

Rubatron, I think I read on one of the boards the three mini carrots are allowed as a 5x5 so it would have been okay if you got a few. I'm going to try to cauliflower crust this weekend--we'll have pizza for Super Bowl and I can have my very own. Headed into week 5 with a positive attitude. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 01-31-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
I just found this thread and was so happy to find everyone here. I have been on MM since July 2012. I always mess up on step 2, I have gone back to step 1 again and probably stay there for quite awhile. This has worked for me better then anything else has so this time I hope to make it to my goal weight. I was within 3 lbs at one point then my doctor took me off a medication that must have depleted my bodies water because I went up 6 lb pretty quick. I know it's best I am off that but it was hard to take the water gain. Then I gained a few more messing up on step 2. Long story short I want to shed 19 lbs as of this morning. Glad to see you all here!!
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Welcome to our little group, grac4! There aren't many of us here but the support has been very helpful to me. Good luck on your journey!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

I have noticed one difference between many low carb items people use and MM is Diane talked about using low fat so we burn our own fat instead of the fat were eating first. Much of what I read is about using full fat products. What do you all usually opt for?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Grac4, I have been sticking with lower fat options. I have eaten some avocado and nuts which of course are fats, but I eat them in moderation to enhance my meals. Much as I would love to I don't eat the whole avocado, but I will add a couple of tablespoons diced up in my chef salad for the richness it adds. I def want to improve my fat-burning ability so I am trying to keep the fat down...but you need some for your body to function properly. She does say to stay away from fat-free.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Southside I was reading through the threads and I also lost much faster then the projected amount when I started by allot, and so did my husband. I did stick to everything and was having fun because I was staying totally away from the foods I was now eating for years trying to eat low fat and fat free prior to MM. It's also interesting how on MM many carbs we don't count yet on most Carb diets they count everything. MM is stuck in my brain and comes naturally so I will probably stick with it rather then trying Atkins or any others. I just hope my loss on step one this time is as good as it was last time!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #234
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: asra2870
WOE: MM
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
Hey all

This past week was difficult, i fell off the 5x5 rule on one of the days, it wasn't a splurge or anything, but it was carb stacking eek. anyway, had a moment lapse into feeling horrible about that..but then jumped right back into game mode..3 weeks more to go! Thank God!

Grac4, welcome! I am starting to see what you mean about MM becoming natural for you. When I started, it was a real conscious effort, and now being almost 5 weeks in (YAY!), i don't feel that intense need for high carb foods..and i find myself choosing foods that have no or low carbs, and not dreading it. Still have moments of cravings everyone in a while, but I'm aware of the better options that won't wreck havoc on my pancreas.

Neutral Chocolate muffin bake-fest is on the schedule today. =)

Hope you are all having a good weekend!
asra2870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Having a great time in San Fran! I'm so ready to get back on plan....too much food the last few days. Hope you've all had a great weekend.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Glad to hear it, Lori! i know what you mean about too much food, as it seems i am getting fuller faster, and sweet things taste a lot sweeter. I am cutting back the sweetener in my coffee big-time.

Good for you, asra, for hopping back on! I confess I have had moments when I thought about consciously jumping off, but I always manage to stay on track. I may have stacked a time or two but been unaware of it, and don't think it has knocked me out of ketosis. I just realized last night that when I take Communion I haven't considered that in my carb count! But some things are more important than a diet, and for me that is one.

There are just a few things I really miss: fruit, pizza, and biscotti. I do have a tiny bit of fruit a couple times a week, I am going to make the cauli crust tonight, and I finally broke down and read the label on my biscotti--4 net grams of carb! Yay! Had one this am with my coffee and felt like I wasn't even on a diet! I will have my egg white omelette in a bit but such a little thing brightened my day!

I hope everyone survives Super Bowl Sunday. We aren't going anywhere so I am making pizza for the boys and my own cauli pizza. And this Bears fan really doesn't care who wins! . Headed into week 5--asra, we are over the hump! Have a great Sunday!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 02-02-2014 at 08:23 AM..
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Meals

Asra one of the things that brought me to this site was trying to learn how other low carb diets work. I use to belong to Diane's online site which was helpful in learning and Diane reading our blood work and so on. It was things like falling off step one and Diane saying we needed to go back to 8 weeks to clean up that made me want to see what other's like Atkins did. Also was curious about us on the every 5 hour 5x5 option or 11x20 on step two which you have to have. It seems most other low carb count everything and just stay under a certain amount no matter when or how they are eating them. I also have been reading about the wheat belly diet and had me really wondering about the effects of wheat. I think I am going to try and leave wheat totally out for awhile and see if it makes a difference as well as doing my MM. It was step 2 where I always ended up messing up rather then step 1. Step 1 is like a easy comfortable place for me and honestly seems to be closer to Atkins then step 2 which is quite a increase in carbs. Of course we have to learn how to eat for a lifetime at some point which is why we move on. I stayed on step 1 for 7 months! Anyhow would anyone want to start sharing what were eating for meals and ideas that might help some of us get more variety and help stay on track?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #238
Senior LCF Member

I would love to get some new ideas. For lunch I had a chicken fajita bowl, with grilled chicken, grilled peppers and onions, a tablespoon each of guacamole and low fat sour cream, and a little salsa. Tonight I am going to make the cauliflower crust pizza.

I don't know how you did Step 1 for so long, grac4! I can't wait for Step 2. I am a big chicken and veggie eater, and I love salads for lunch, but I will appreciate the extra carbs and the variety it will bring. I don't mind being creative but I need some more stuff to work with!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Your meals sound delicious Southside! I had a veggie omelet for breakfast then for a late lunch I cut up chicken breast and fried it in garlic and onion and poured on some hot sauce, then put it on a salad bed of Kale salad mix, green pepper, broccoli, cucumber and onion, topped it with feta crumbles, shredded cheese and sunflower seeds and a ranch dressing from Costco I just love. Today I saw a recipe for asparagus cut in 1" pieces and cooked with onion and garlic and then you make a middle and cook your eggs like sunny side up. I think I may try that next. I also take the dark caro chocolate and spread peanut butter on it when I need something sweet.
As far as step 2 goes for some reason I always get tripped up on it. Step 1 seems like there is so much less to worry about. Today I pinned some recipes to pinterest that look really good I am going to try, I will post any that come out good!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #240
Junior LCF Member

Welcome grac4! I do feel like the food is getting quite monotonous. I'm starting on third week on step one, so far so good, I think. I did pretty well during the Superbowl, we made some dips - one crab and one buffalo chicken - for my friends' party and brought along a ton of celery sticks to dip in them, and it was actually pretty good, I didn't feel like I was missing anything not eating chips. The brownies at the table were another matter, I wanted them bad, but resisted.

I also had my two drinks (Seagram's and diet 7-up) but then took a mini-shot of whiskey/bailey's with the group, and I'm sure that was not good. I am finding that limiting my drinks on the weekends is pretty tough for me, I need to not hang out with such partiers!

I did buy the multi-grain goldfish crackers this weekend, so I have been eating the 15 of those in the morning now. I do a lot of wraps with the low-carb tortillas for lunch. Other snacks are celery and peanut butter, sugar-free jello, almonds and cheesesticks.

Our dinners are usually fish, chicken or steak (which I know is not the best), with a good veggie side and maybe some cottage cheese. I really want to weigh myself but have held off!

These past few days have been tough for me, there seems to be temptations everywhere, like extra food and treats at work. And pizza! I miss the deep-dish.