Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #181
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: asra2870
WOE: MM
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
Sticking to the plan, a few sweet and salty cravings here and there..but I'm staying determined, sugar free jello is helping out as well. hope you are all doing well.

Quick q-is low carb hummus (<5g carb) allowed on step 1? (if i remember correctly, beans/legumes were not part of the plan..but tahini paste was ok....?)

Hope you feel better Lori.

Last edited by asra2870; 01-19-2014 at 12:54 PM..
asra2870 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Oh, I would also like to know the hummus answer. Looking for variety! I was a bad girl and weighed myself today, down about 5 lbs so far. That's great, I know, but I was feeling pretty low this morning, probably because my hubby was eating a fresh and fragrant carrot muffin for breakfast. I just told myself to tough it out--grabbed a low-carb shake and ran for the grocery store. I was really missing pizza today and my daughter works for one of the city's best pizzerias and brought a small (thank God) box over to us! I made hubby eat it all, but I made myself a little pizza from a low carb tortilla, some crushed tomato with garlic and onion, and I cooked some pepperoni in the micro til the fat cooked out and it was crisp. I sprinkled it on my pizza, along with a some lowfat cheese and dang if it didn't take care of that pizza jones!

Tonight I am going to make some of the MM chocolate brownie muffins to have as a breakfast treat, and I am also making a pot of low-carb onion soup. I am a huge soup eater and I am missing it a lot. Found a recipe with 3 net carbs per serving. It will be a nice change. Just planning to toast half a slice of my 1-net carb bread into croutons and topping with either Finlandia low fat Swiss or a tablespoon or two of Parmesan.

Lori, I hope that your bug has passed and you are feeling better. Asra, keep on keeping on! We are going into week 3, yay us!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 01-19-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:33 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Good job girls!

I'm feeling better today, but still not 100% I didn't go to boot camp this morning. Decided it's better not to push it. Hope to go tomorrow morning because I don't want to lose my muscle gains!

I only missed a couple carb dams over the weekend and Diane(author of book) is going to advise me on how many days in Step 1 I'll need for repair.

I leave for San Fran next Thursday(30th) and I'm sure I'll be needing some repair days after that! Can you say sourdough bread?

Have a good week!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
Hi everyone,

I pushed back my MM start date to Monday instead of Sunday, so I'm only into my second day now, but so far so good! Southside Girl, I'll definitely have to see if I can order that bread online. I loaded up on low-carb groceries yesterday and walked all over the grocery store looking for low-carb bread, crackers and soy flour, but couldn't find any. I'm going to swing by a natural foods store today after work to get the flour because I really want it for that chocolate muffins recipe in the book!

I made the vegetable lasagna last night for dinner, it wasn't bad but took a lot of effort/time to make. I've been good with my workouts these past two days, but the cold weather is not making me too excited for a walk I planned later today.

Lori, I'm glad you are feeling better! I hope you are back to 100% soon!
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I'm feeling much better and went to boot camp this morning. It was tough, but I made it through. Wednesday is my normal day off, so I'll be back at it on Thursday and Friday.

Diane advised a 5 day clean up for my weekend of off plan eating. I'm going to wait until I get back from my trip to San Francisco since I know I'll need a good 10 day reset after that. I'll just keep to Step 2 until my trip next week.

Have a good day!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Lori! Rubitron, I found the soy flour at my local Kroeger, and it wasn't too expensive--I think it was under $3. It is Bob's Red Mill brand. At least I think that's where I found it...ugh, I need to make sure so I can buy it again! It was either Kroger or Target. The memory is the first to go I made the chocolate muffins last night, and had one just a few minutes after it came out of the oven (I didn't have my dinner 5x5). It was warm and quite delicious! I just hope they are as good cooled off. I didn't have unsweetened chocolate so I used 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder and one T melted butter for each oz of unsweetened chocolate (I halved the recipe) and it worked just fine. The carb load is the same.

The big thing I miss (besides rice and pizza and potatoes!) is tomatoes. I know you can have some--I made a tasty tomato sauce from crushed and diced tomato, red and green pepper, plus spices--but you have to count that half-cup at a 5x5. UGH. I love to snack on those little grape tomatoes, too, so that is disappointing. Oh, well, two weeks down, six to go. I wonder if I will make it all eight weeks?

Good luck to all!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 01-21-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

You will make it the whole 8 weeks SSgirl! Just make up your mind that you WILL!

Your chocolate muffins sound good, but I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, so I haven't made any of the "treats". I also stay away from soy because of my thyroid, so I'm quite a boring eater! I have used almond flour and coconut flour, but not lately.

Just about time for me to go home for the day. Thank goodness! I'm tired today....rough boot camp and busy at work. zzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Have a good night!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Hey. Lori, I just needed something sweet! I wound up with 15 of them rather than just 12, even though I halved the recipe. Into the freezer they went. I, too, have to limit my soy, but I figure one or two a week won't be too bad--the entire recipe had about 3/4 c, so that is less than one tablespoon of soy flour per muffin. That impact should be within acceptable range.

I feel like I've been so good, but I am not seeing very quick results. I know, I am being unrealistic. This is not only about the weight loss but also resetting the way my body works. It is just hard to be patient. I lost eight pounds in two weeks on South Beach, but I thought I would try this version. Now I'm not so sure!

I'll keep on keeping on, but I do have discouraging moments. Thanks for being a cheerleader!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Now, now........you are not supposed to be weighing until 8 weeks are up! Of course, maybe you're not and are just disappointed in how your clothes are fitting? Anyway, this is a totally different weight loss. It is pure fat, not lean body mass. You want to keep the lean(muscle) as that is your furnace. Remember it says in the book that you may lose 10 lbs, but will look like you lost 20 because it's all fat.

Keep the faith!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #190
Junior LCF Member

Hey all, how is it wednesday of week 3 already? ahhh! YES!
Glad to say that I have been eating clean and working out everyday so far. Just gotta keep going.

Btw, i had a major pizza craving, and there was a big box of pizza hut sitting on the table..BUT i opted to try out a quick and easy cauliflower pizza crust recipe. I know it sounds strange but I think thats its just that my body has been so used to carbs and breads that its finally starting to realize that there are other ways to have the foods I crave without taking in a few huge slices of fried dough and then feeling all bloated and yuck afterwards! Thank youuuu cauliflower pizza crust: lowest carb pizza I've ever had in my life. Added some tomato sauce, cheese and toppings-and that craving was satisfied.

Someone who had seen me a few weeks ago told me that my face got more defined, sometimes when you see yourself all the time, you don't notice if anything has changed unless its something dramatic. Also I have taken pictures of myself...instead of stepping on the scale, and small changes are definitely happening, and its only been 2+ weeks. I am expecting all of us to complete this stronger, leaner and healthier than when we started. Three more days to finish this week, its ALL worth it!!!

KEEP IT UP GUYS!

Last edited by asra2870; 01-22-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Pizza sounds good! When I eat it, I just scrape all the toppings off and don't eat the crust. Still get the yummy flavor, but not all the carbs in the crust!

My stomach is acting up again today. I forced myself to eat some crackers, but didn't really want them. I hope I soon get over this "bug"!

Have a great day!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Asra, what was in your cauli crust? Was it the cauliflower/egg/cheese combo? If it was decent I might give it a try.

One thing is for sure, I'm getting a lot more veggies in my diet! That's probably a good thing.

I know that despite my obsession with a number on the scale, I am definitely seeing changes in my shape. Today I am wearing a dress that I could not get into a few weeks ago, so it must be working! I am finding some good alternatives for the carby stuff that I tend to crave. I have really been in the mood for something like a smoothie so I think I'll try one tomorrow morning with protein powder, cocoa powder and PB2. Sometimes just having a little something like that can really help me stay on track without blowing it. Halfway through week 3! Thanks to all for joining me on this journey and keeping me on track! It makes it so much easier to have someone who understands what you are going through!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #193
Junior LCF Member

I would love to try that cauliflower crust as well! I went to that natural foods store last night and they didn't have soy flour either! So I just ordered some online, it was half off.

It sounds like everyone's still doing well. I'm on day 3, not nearly as far as you guys, but feeling pretty fine, just kind of absent-minded and ditzy today. Hopefully that goes away soon... Kind of need my brain for work, haha.

Southside Girl, I'm sure you look like you have lost more weight than what the scale says! Good luck everyone, and Lori, I hope you feel better! It's Wednesday... half way through the week!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

You all are great about getting in your veggies. I could happily just eat meat, cheese and eggs. I like a salad once in a while, but not every day.

Your smoothie sounds good, but I wouldn't make it for myself. I love them, but can't be bothered with the mess. Just lazy, I guess.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Hey, yep it was grated cauliflower, egg, parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, italian seasoning..and bake. there are recipes for cauliflower crust pizza online. you can even make them into "breadsticks"
Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

I think I need to try that, asra! And I hope you are right, Rubatron! Tonight the hubs wanted barbecue chicken pizza so I just made myself scrambled egg/white with ham and cheese. It was fine, I am not that hungry for a meal. I am more snacky tonight. Had some vanilla and cocoa almonds and they hit the sweet spot.

I am a big veggie eater so that part comes easily to me, but I do miss my crackers. I wish I could find a low carb option but there isn't much out there. Maybe I should make some crisp tortillas chips from my low carb tortillas and sprinkle them with spices? I could also make some sweet ones with stevia and cinnamon.

I will say this is making me a lot more creative! . Good night, all! Off to do my kettlebell workout. Ugh!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #197
Junior LCF Member

i miss fruit!

when the stress goes up, i really just wanna eat everything. trying my level best to maintain balance and stick with the plan..i hear ya SSGirl with the discouraging moments.

Last edited by asra2870; 01-23-2014 at 10:31 AM..
Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Hang in there........fruit comes back in Step 2!!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #199
Junior LCF Member

I'm into day five. Doing okay, haven't slipped up at all, but did not workout yesterday. I plan to go rollerskating tonight, so that counts, right?

We are going out to a bar afterward that's known for their chicken wings. They are not breaded or floured, so they are fine to eat, right??

Good luck with the weekend everyone!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

I miss fruit, too, though I have had a couple of 1/3 c servings of blackberries as one of my 5x5 carbs. Today on one of the boards I saw you can have 15 whole grain Goldfish crackers as a 5x5, and when I computed the carbs, it does indeed come to 4.9 g carbs. So maybe I can have a little splurge to get my cracker fix!

I am getting tired of eating the same snacks (almonds, cheese, veggies) and really need to change it up.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Going to eat Mexican with the man tonight, and will be ordering fajitas and taking my own tortilla...
Old 01-25-2014, 03:17 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Hello all,

Sounds like you have some fun weekend plans. I'm still not feeling great, but trying my best to stick to plan. I just can't seem to shake this bug.

As far as the chicken wings. As long as there is no sauce that would have sugar in it, you should be ok. It's funny how sugar sneaks into everything!

I want to get the ingredients for fat bombs and put some of them in the freezer. Coconut oil, natural PB, butter, cocoa powder & sweetener. Yum!

Have a good weekend!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
cauliflower pizza?

asra2870
cud i just get the cauliflower pizza crust recipe from u?
i usually just scrape off everything from a few pcs of pizza and eat them, as its the toppings and cheese that rly makes pizza, pizza!
but to eat a slice of something wud be nice too
and breadsticks did u say?? YUM
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Missing Soup
SSgirl
u know u can eat soups with anything u want as far as free veggies and meat rite?
its just the bean-pasta-rice-potato-things u cant put in it till step 2.
so u cud have some killer soups still.
esp if u make ur own broths from poultry carcasses or beef, lamb or venison bones.
or u can use V-8 for a base.
or make a cauliflower cream soup -- alot like potato soups but w/cauliflower. this calls for bacon definitely lol but its a small amt per bowl.

Last edited by Hélène; 01-25-2014 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: 4got title
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

FRUIT --and beans

fruit: thats the thing thats hardest for me on step 1
beans are next as we eat alot of them, like daily, like often 2x daily
we are big meat eaters also but finances keep us from eating it as much as we'd like lol...eggs everyday for brkfst but often beans or nut butters for lunch, save meat for dinner.
now i cant have beans or grains to go with the nut butter at lunch so im forced to eat meat.
the first thing i eat on step 2 is fruit and 5 hrs later beans lol
starchy vegs are rite behind beans and bread i dont rly care about...i love toast but its not near as hard as fruit to give up!!
i have 5g of fruit sometimes on step 1 but its just not quite the same.
plus i like to have plain yogurt daily for the calcium so i usually save my 5x5s for that. i eat cheese also for the calcium. i find however that cheese seems to make me hungrier over the long run. i cud eat 4 or 5 pcs a DAY easy ~nono~ lol

Last edited by Hélène; 01-25-2014 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: 4got sumthing
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

i am looking for a baking mix WITHOUT soy in it...flour, protein anything.
i got out Have Your Cake & Eat It Too bk from library (Nancy Bailey) and it looks TERRIFIC...but SOY is the main ingredient in the mix, so, scrap that. IMO soy is not human food.
protein powder is ok as an ingredient, i just use whey powder.
ive used ground almonds in mug muffins and such but i'd like to try wheat gluten, wheat bran/oat bran and maybe even some oat flour in the mixes or recipes.
or if anyone has ground coconut recipes (coconut flour is waaaay outta my price range, even to make for just me) that wud be nice too

Last edited by Hélène; 01-25-2014 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #206
Junior LCF Member

FYI-The hummus is a no-go…bc no chickpeas on step 1!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, asra!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Happy Saturday, all. Question: has anyone baked with erythritol? I found a biscotti recipe using almond meal and this sugar sub for less than 3 net carbs, and I love biscotti with my coffee. I don't know if I can use Splenda baking mix instead? I am trying to adapt some of my habits to fit the program so I don't deviate during this 8 weeks!

Helene, you are right about the soup. I made some onion soup this week and it is pretty good. I will make the cauliflower soup when that is gone. It is pretty tasty--thanks for the reminder!

Heading into week 4 as of Monday! Clothes def fitting better, so there is progress!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:42 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Well ik with sugar alcohols u have to count the carbs in them so check that erythritol carb count to make sure its under net 5g.
i havent used them myself, just stevia and splenda (which i dont recommend for baking YUCK).
glad to hear ur clothes are fitting better...the first time i did step 1, i lost very little (and i was fastidious about it). it was awful not losing and being tortured by no fruit.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

I have to say, Helene, that I am worried about getting on the scale. I don't know if after eight weeks of this I will be where I want to be. I am not being unrealistic, I swear, but in eight weeks on South Beach I lost 15 pounds and that is all I need to lose. I will be pretty discouraged if I don't see a good drop. I don't think it would be unrealistic to expect to lose 10 pounds in eight weeks. And I monitor my calories as well as my carbs so I know I am not overeating. My jeans are a little looser but not what I would expect. I am trying to be patient and understand this is a different theory but I am not sure it is working that well for me. Trying to wait and see...