Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 195/193/150
WOE: IF; 4:3/5:2
Start Date: November 16, 2014
Welcome asra!

Sounds like MM is just the plan for you! Are you a member of Miracleville? It is the official site for MM. There is a small charge, but you can ask Diane(author) questions and it is a great place for info.

I'm so happy to be in Step 2. Kind of anxious to see what my loss will be after the first month. I fight & claw for every pound, but I'll reach my goal one day!

Let us know how you're doing!
Lori_:) is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Asra, I am also starting tomorrow. Good luck to us! Lori, you are an inspiration! I did a lot of prep work today, getting my meals planned and some even cooked, but I have a question for you. In the book Diane says absolutely no fruit the first 8 weeks, which seems awfully extreme. Do you think that small amounts of low-glycemic fruit (thinking berries here, with 3.5 grams carbs in a half cup) could be a 5x5 carb? I think I saw that it was allowed on one of the boards. I would like to be able to eat a little fruit with cottage cheese a couple of times a week to avoid a fruit binge! Thoughts?
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

I would think that as long as you stay within the 5 carb limit, a few berries would not sabotage you.

I had a weekend of too much sitting and too much eating. I stayed on plan, but my portions were too large. I really need to get a handle on that. I was feeling thinner on Friday, but feel like a toad today. On it goes........

Heading out to boot camp in a few minutes. Wonder what the torture of the day will be?

Have a good start to your week!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

I am sure you are not looking like a toad! Had a great breakfast today and it felt like cheating because I ate a nice egg white omelet with spinach, broccoli, a little ham and a little low-fat cheese, and a slice of low-carb toast with my coffee. That's more food that I am used to eating on a diet!

I HATE working out but it's a necessary evil. I have thyroid disease and have also had issues with my joints, so my doc suggested weight training, which has alleviated all my pain. However, I hate it. But I do it at least twice a week. I also have problem feet (neuromas from wearing high pointy shoes for too many years ) so the treadmill and elliptical are pretty much off limits, as is running. But I have discovered the rowing machine, and it's a great workout, so that's what's on the slate for today. Lifting tomorrow. Blech!

Happy Monday, and here's to staying on track!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like a yummy breakfast SSgirl! It is hard to feel like you're not eating too much, isn't it? Trust the plan!

I'm feeling less toadish since my Boot camp class and morning of lots of water and eating properly. I'm also using my standing desk at work and haven't sat down since I came in 3 hours ago. Not sure how long the back will put up with it, but I'm giving it my best shot. I also have Plantar Fasciitis that sometimes "yells" at me. One thing and another.

Check in everybody!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! Made it through Day 1 without any issues...onward! I actually weighed myself this morning because I forgot to yesterday, so at least I have a starting point. I need to lose 15 pounds and then keep it off! Good luck to all MM followers...
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Good going SSgirl! You will be at goal in no time. I, on the other hand, have about 30 lbs to go. I scratch & claw for every pound. I'm a bit nervous about Step 2, but Diane assures us that it will work if we follow the guidelines. I'm happy following it and I feel good, so I'll let the pounds drop where they may.

Keep up the great work!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Lori, you have already lost a bunch, so I'm sure you'll make it. Maybe Step 2 will be good for you...and you can always jump back to Step One if need be (if I read the book right). Sometimes we need to give our bodies a little more food to trick it into thinking we aren't starving it anymore!

For me the first week is always the hardest. Once I get through that, I sort of get into the groove and almost "enjoy" dieting--I sort of like that kind of routine. I am nervous about the carbs I'm eating (even though they are 5x5 and limited) but I'll give it this first week and see if I notice a difference. I just hope my clothes are a little looser by next Monday.

Did 35 minutes on the rowing machine yesterday. I can't get to the gym today as I am working an extended day (I have a conference in town) but I did bring my workout clothes and I'm going to take a 30 minute walk, including multiple trips across a steep pedestrian bridge we have on campus...that always gets the heart pumping.

Have a great day!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: asra2870
WOE: MM
Start Date: Jan 6, 2014
Goodmorning all!

Thanks for the kind welcome Lori and Southside Girl =) Congrats to you Lori for getting to Step 2, that is amazing! And SSGirl, Congrats for taking the necessary steps to better your life. I've been learning a lot about making yourself a top priority, which is something that tends to get hustled around in the busy day-to-day. Taking it forward, one day a time!

Just got thru my first three days, and feeling pretty good. I feel a lot less bloated which is great. The peanut butter cookies are a lifesaver! Just the thing to hold me over when I get a twinge of a craving. Overall, I have noticed that my cravings have gone down, so extremely grateful about that.

I've been sitting way too much so need to reboot my exercise regime. And still have to get a hold on meal planning.

Lori, since you are on Step 2 now, what were the toughest hurdles you experienced on Step 1?

Let me know if you all have any tips for beginners, or tried and tested favorite recipes for breakfast.

Only one more day to go til the weekend. Lets keep this up everyone, Good luck

Last edited by asra2870; 01-09-2014 at 08:09 AM..
asra2870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning all!

I really didn't have too much trouble in Step 1, even during the Holidays. I was determined! I really don't have any recipes or anything like that as I'm a keep it simple kind of girl. I ate a lot of Sargento cheese sticks, nuts & hard-boiled eggs. Oh, and natural peanut butter(my downfall). Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk also helped get me thru. I also ate a nice salad several times a week. I'm not a salad every day person, but I do enjoy them on occasion.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I'm not one to make different recipes too often. We eat very simply most of the time. Just take it one day at a time and you'll get there!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Hello, ladies! Made it through the work week, yay! Asra, what are these peanut butter cookies you mention? They sound like a great option! I went to a Mexican restaurant with the hubby tonight and had a nice dinner of chicken fajitas. I brought one of my low-carb tortillas but really preferred the meat and veggies without it...did not finish the tortilla. A carb saved! And the chips didn't really pose a problem...Hubs told me they were sort of stale and not to bother. Sweet man!

Lori, I think the good thing about MM is you can be as simple or complicated as you like. I had a delicious lunch today of spaghetti squash with a ground turkey tomato sauce (within guidelines) and a sprinkle of parm on top. It was really good!

Here comes the weekend...good luck to all of us! Next week I have a business trip which might prove tricky, but there is a little store near my hotel and it has a kitchenette, so I plan to eat most meals in. I will pack nuts as a snack as well. But ordering a nice piece of fish or a top sirloin should help ease the pain when I have to eat out...thank goodness no convention food this time!

Happy Friday, ladies, and thanks for getting me through these first days. You and that glass of red wine!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 01-10-2014 at 10:05 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like you had a good week SSGirl! Way to go! You'll do fine on your business trip. I really don't find it too difficult to eat out on this plan. You just have to stay away from the bread basket!

My sister is visiting for the weekend, so that means more snacking type foods and lite beer. I'm trying to stay true to plan, but I'm sure I'll eat a few more carbs than I should. I'll do some repair days next week. I did 4 days of boot camp this week, so I'm not stressing over my eating too much this weekend. I don't get to see my sister too often, so I'm going to enjoy it! Today we're going to do some shopping and then out for a nice dinner.

Ok...time for some breakfast for me. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

First major meltdown for me last night. My sister and I went out for dinner and I had several things that I haven't eaten in months. The worst offender was the piece of cheesecake that I shared with my sister. OY! I felt really awful after I ate it and when I think back...it really wasn't worth it. Oh well...it is done and over with.

We did a little shopping before dinner and I bought a beautiful jacket for my trip to San Francisco. We always go to this little clothing store and I was never able to find anything that fit me and looked nice. Yesterday I bought two things and they looked good! It is a great little shop and the owner is always there and has gotten to know us. When we walked in he commented on how I've lost weight since we'd last been there. He has lots of great clothes and I can't wait to go back again in the Spring/Summer when hopefully I'll be even smaller.

So...the cheesecake debacle aside, it's been a good weekend!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #164
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone,
Glad to hear you are all doing well. Lori, 4 days of bootcamp wowza, that is no joke. I need to step up my workout plan for sure. Retail therapy is always a bonus! I've made a little resolution to treat myself to some new clothes after each step. Keep it up =)

SSGirl-I just discovered spaghetti squash a few months ago, huge fan! The peanut butter cookies are a no-flour, no butter, recipe from Diane's MM cookbook (Kress, 2011). I really didn't expect it to be that good when I initially read it, but it satisfies cravings, AND best part: counts as a neutral :jump joy:. If you use processed peanut butter, then its a 5 carb counter, if I understood it correctly. I cut the sweetener in half just because it seemed too much for my taste, and it still ended up good.

"Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 12 cookies

Ingredients
1 cup sucralose, plus extra for dipping with fork
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup creamy or crunchy NATURAL peanut butter

Note: peanut butter must be well stirred and room temp

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
Coat baking sheet with cooking spray
Mix the sweetener, egg and vanilla with an electric mixer on low for 3 minutes in a medium bowl. Add the peanut butter and baking soda.
Mix on medium speed until the mixture comes together, about 30 seconds.

Form the dough into walnut size balls and place on cookie sheet
Dip fork in additional sweetener and flatten the cookie with crisscross marks.
Make for 10-12 minutes until slightly browned on bottom.
Transfer to wire rack to cool."

I also just tried the chocolate cupcakes (almond-flour based) and those were good too.

Found another link here at low carb friends for MM food recipes that others have posted in the past that might peak your interest, if you haven't seen it already.

Recipes for Metabolism Miracle - Step 1

Starting week 2 strong. Thanks for your insights, for staying on track and keeping me on track =) Have an awesome week!

-----
Kress, D. (2011). The Metabolism Miracle Cookbook: 150 Delicious Recipes that Can Reset Your Metabolism, Melt Away Fat, and Make You Thin and Healthy for Life. Da Capo Press.

Last edited by asra2870; 01-12-2014 at 08:26 AM..
Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday everyone!!

It feels kind of nice to be back in routine. Up early for boot camp and eating what I normally eat. I still don't know if I'm losing on Step 2, but I feel so good, that I'm not worrying about it. I sure would like to lose another 30 lbs, but right now I'm focusing on health & fitness. I'll weigh myself in a couple weeks before I leave for San Francisco. 4 days in San Fran surrounded by sourdough bread.......OY!

Off to fill up my water jug. On the weekends I don't drink nearly enough water, so I'm drowning myself today!

Let me know how you all did over the weekend!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday is an oxymoron! Good morning, all! I had a good weekend, stayed on track without any bumps in the road. I was thrilled to discover a low-carb bread that is actually tasty! I am lucky enough to live near a Chompie's and bought two loaves of their low-carb bread--the multigrain and the sesame. It is really good! I am a big sandwich eater and that made all the difference for me. This bread is quite good and has only 1 net gram of carbs per slice...and with all that fiber it's super-filling. I know it can be ordered online, but I can pick it up locally, yay! So that is good news. I have no problem giving up sweets like cake and cookies, but I do miss my sandwiches. And fruit, too, but yesterday I had a breakfast of cottage cheese and a half-cup of berries (3.5 net carbs) and it was so worth it!! Have a great week, all. I'm getting ready for my trip and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the challenge of travel food...
Old 01-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #167
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone,

My fasting blood sugar is in the 80's!! Its never been in this range before, so excited! Seeing that number itself has given me motivation to push thru.

Also I feel a little lighter!

SSGirl, hope you saw the peanut butter cookie recipe that I posted, sorry for the delay in the reply, I wasn't on the forum much last week.

Also found mission carb balance tortillas-6 carbs net, but I'm not eating the whole thing, just half and loaded up with veggies. Green tea is my new best friend.

Started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and 30 min walks around my neighborhood, sticking with it. No turning back.
Have a wonderful and productive day!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

asra...congrats on your blood sugar #!! Keep up the great work!

SSgirl.....you will do fine on your trip. Eating out really is not too difficult if you focus on protein and veggies. Just stay away from the cheesecake(unlike me!) LOL!

2 days of boot camp done for the week. Day off tomorrow and back at it Thursday and Friday. I'm trying to do 4 days most weeks. I'm living on Advil trying to get the inflammation out of my shoulder. It's hard when I aggravate it daily at boot camp! I'm too stubborn to quit!

Have a great day!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Hi, all! Thanks for the cookie recipe, asra! Definitely going to check that out when I return from my trip!

I'm not going to lie, yesterday was a bit of a challenge for me. I was very "snacky" last night, and I felt more hungry yesterday than I have in days. But I made it through, no cheats. Today is much better, even though my boss is being a total ogre--keeping me too busy to even think about food! HA! Worked 9 hours without a break, but such is life.

Yesterday I drove to the gym and the place was packed--not one single parking spot. So I just went home and did a kettlebell workout. It was pretty hard, so I think I'm okay on that end. I have a 10-minute walk to and from my car every morning, so there's always that, with a steep bridge you have to cross and which kicks my butt every morning, up and down, but it has really toned up my calves. I'm not sure what I will do today, but I should work out to reduce my stress.

I am so tempted to get on the scale but I'm afraid of what I might see. I feel a little shrinkage but it is never fast enough, is it? Though is seems that I can gain weight twice as fast as I can lose it. Huh?

Hope everyone had a good day! I am definitely having a glass of red wine after the day I had!! Good luck and thanks for keeping me moving forward!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #170
Junior LCF Member

Hey all,

Lori- that workout schedule sounds intense, great to hear your discipline! A few of my friends turn to lower impact exercises like yoga and swimming for a set period of time to ease their shoulder/joint pain and avoid injury, and then go back to the regular weight/resistance training. Hope you feel better.

SSGirl- I was completely feeling snacky too all day yday! Relied on cocoa roasted almonds (check out "emeralds" brand, or can make them urself, takes 5 minutes), and cauliflower poppers to hold me over in between meals.

I admit I did peak at my weight last week =O and I was reading that you gain and lose weight thru out, so it's best NOT to look. Don't wanna see a fluctuating number on there and feel bad, so I'm holding myself back.

A little sore after my morning workout, but its worth it =) Only a few more days this week, and its gonna be only 6 weeks left on step 1! ahh can't wait!

Last edited by asra2870; 01-15-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Happy Hump day all!

I'm feeling rather thin today, despite going off the rails last night and eating a bowl of cereal. Part of my plan is a small serving of cereal with almond milk before bed, but I poured a whole bowlful instead. Very mad at myself afterwards, but hoping I didn't do any damage.

It is difficult not to peak at the scale, trust me I know. I made the mistake of looking on a day when I was feeling thin only to see a number I didn't like. It was a loss, but not as big a one as I anticipated. What we have to remember is that we're burning almost all fat.......we don't want to lose the precious muscle! That is our furnace! I work so hard at boot camp to build muscle, I sure don't want to lose it! Today was an off day for boot camp. Gotta give the old body a break now and then!

Keep up the great work girls!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

ARGHHH!!!! I did it again! Another BOWL of cereal last night! I swear I WILL NOT do that again tonight! I don't know what's wrong with me.

Anyway, enough of that, what's done is done. Moving on!

Hope you all are doing well on your plan. I can tell I'm in fat burning mode. I don't know if you experience this or not, but when I'm really burning fat, I have to go to the bathroom(#1) a LOT! And, when I do, it's like Niagara Falls! Sorry if that's too much info, I have heard of other people having the same thing happen to them. I even had to go in the middle of boot camp this morning and I NEVER do that. Keep that fat burning!

Pop in and let me know how you're doing!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #173
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
Hi everyone,

I am starting MM on Sunday, and I'm super excited/nervous about it. I loooove bread and carbs, which, according to the book, is an indicator that I really shouldn't be eating so much of them.

Anyhow, I looked through the list of allowed foods, which include edamame and brussel sprouts and those types of things. The other night we had some brussel sprouts (frozen and out of a package, but with no butter or anything) and I thought I would just glance at the nutrition facts, and I was surprised to see there were I believe 5 grams of carbs per serving? Then I looked at a package of edamame and that had 8 carbs (I think 5 after you take out the dietary fiber).

My question is, should I just plan to eat those foods as freebies because they are on her list or count as a 5x5 carb since they surprisingly have carbs in them?

I'm glad everyone seems to be doing well on this plan!
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Rubatron!

Carbs in veggies are free. If an item is on the neutral list, feel free to eat it!

Let us know how you're doing.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #175
Junior LCF Member

Hi Lori-does this fat burning happen on step 1? I haven't really experienced that before..but maybe I haven't worked out that hard or ate clean enough for it to happen. Hey I'm all up for it =P
Btw, I'm just being an accountability partner here, careful with the cereal! I did something similar a few months ago, always ended up with a bowlful and it can be hard to control. What helped me most was putting the cereal into portioned zip lock bags..so I had better control over how much I ate each time.

Welcome Rubatron! Carbs were definitely my weakness, sugar was wrecking havoc on my health for years. I always had major cravings and other symptoms if I tried to go carb free, or if I was eating a lot of carb-rich/sugary products, it was such a horrible cycle.

I started MM recently too, and this is my second week. I have to say that the first three days took conscious effort, (reading labels, and researching blogs/recipes helped me a lot) After those 3 days, I noticed a significant drop in my carb and sugar cravings. I am abiding by the rules that Diane set in the book, 5X5's lets me have a little of what I want but not to the extreme where I have blood sugar swings. So take it one day a time and stick with it. All the best!!

I don't know if you have come across this blog-but this really helped jumpstart me into the plan.

1) Steece's Pieces: Metabolism Miracle

2) Steece's Pieces: Metabolism Miracle Q & A

It's almost Friday yay, three day weekend! Clean eating and working out is the number one priority. Haven't missed a day of working out this week, which is a huge step for me cuz I usually skip days and that one skipped day ends up being two and then a whole week gone where I don't workout. Got my family members trying out some of the things I've making with MMrecipes, (zucchini boats anyone!?) =)

Let's end this week strong!

Last edited by asra2870; 01-16-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

I don't remember experiencing the "fat burning bathroom effect" on Step 1, but I remember it when I did Dukan a year ago. You'll recognize it when it hits!

Thanks for the blog links....I'm going to check them out!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #177
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
Thanks for the tips and the links! I'll definitely let you all know how it goes...
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning MMers!!

I'm happy to report that I did NOT overdo the cereal last night! Success! Also a little sad to report that the super fat burning appears to be over for now as the mad dash for the loo episodes seem to have gone away.

The weekend, as usual, will pose some challenges. Tomorrow we're going to our 10 year old Grandson's basketball game with a stop at our favorite Italian restaurant. OY! They bring out this yummy rosemary bread with olive oil for dipping. I can't tell them not to bring it as the husband loves it! I'm hoping that 4 days of boot camp this week entitles me to a small piece. We don't often get to this restaurant so I may throw caution to the wind a wee bit. I can always revert to Step 1 for a few days. Sometimes going a bit overboard helps kickstart losses again as long as you get right back on plan!

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, Rubatron! Hello, all. Been a bit out of touch as travel and conference stuff always throws my routines out the window. However, I have stayed on plan without too much trouble. No formal working out but I have been hoofing it all over town and am getting i. At least an hour of walking per day. Been ordering double veggies with my entree (salmon and lean steak) to avoid the carb temptation. Rubatron, I don't know if you have a Chompies near you, but you can order their low carb bread online and it is really good! It only has one net gram of carbs per slice and it makes you feel far less deprived--plus it doesn't kick in those cravings. Check your local bakers for a reduced carb bread. It has saved me. I am a sandwich lover and this makes it possible for me to stay on plan.

Yesterday I splurged on two small squares of dark chocolate, but I think I am safe: an 8-piece serving has 10 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber, so it fell within my 5x5 serving. Since I didn't have any other carb servings yesterday I think I am good.

Heading into week 3 with jeans that are a little looser! Happy weekend, all!
Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

My plan has come off the rails a bit. I came down with the stomach bug and have not been able to eat or drink much at all since yesterday. When I do eat, it's mostly carbs. Crackers, a granola bar etc. I can't worry about it until I get over this nasty bug.

Hope you all are doing well. Hope to be back to normal next week!