Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #571
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
SSG wat do u think the diff is btwn southbeach and MM? i know the 1st phase is not as long but u can eat beans too right? i cant remember wat else, but i know theres no time frame or portion size for carbs in 2nd phase...is there?
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #572
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Slush26
Me again... update, I'm 12 weeks on MM and 4 weeks in phase 2. I weighed myself last Saturday and was down 3 pounds. This after 2 weeks of not losing anything.
I tried on a pair of pants that were WAY too small 2 weeks ago AND NOW THEY FIT!!!
So I lose over 2 inches around my waist.
I'm really hopeful that this diet will work for me, I've tried several others but this one seems to be one I can stay on for a long time.
I'm not going to weigh in for another week. Going out to dinner and a movie tomorrow....will try to be good. We'll see!!!!
Slush26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #573
Senior LCF Member

Awesome, Slush!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
My new theory seems to be working for me . I am staying at 1500 calories and fully following the MM step 2 rules. Basically excluding high calorie high fat foods. Eating them again to some extent may be okay for maintenance but apparently not for my body to lose weight. This was exciting after the big italian cheat meal we had on Wednesday!! After being stalled with no loss for so long this is indeed a very exciting turn of events . It is interesting to read everyones way of finding what is working for them. Oh how I hope this continues to my goal weight.
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Glad to hear you're making progress again grac4!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #576
Junior LCF Member

That's wonderful grac4!!! I didn't have a good week. I was wondering if you could give us a basic day of meals and how much your eating on phase 2. I have read both books many times, but must be missing something. I know that at my age losing is harder. Here's an example of my day.

Up at 6:00am
Breakfast: coffee and a breakfast muffin at 6:30. ( 17 carbs)

Snack: fiber bar at 11:00am (12 carbs)

Lunch: Lettuce salad with chicken, tomato. mini bagel at 1:30pm ( 19 carbs)

Dinner: Chicken Hot Wings, salad,whole wheat bread at 6:00pm. (15 carbs)

Bedtime: Yogurt and fruit at 9:00pm. ( 12 carbs)

All my carb choices are low in sugar and high in fiber. I try to drink water all day, some days better than others. I'm open to suggestions. Any advice from anyone is WELCOME!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #577
Senior LCF Member

need protein & veggies at brkfst, protein with the fiber bar, more dairy than 1 svg a day. are all ur breads wholegrain?
are u exercising 6 days a week?
do have any hormonal issues you either suspect or are being treated for?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #578
Senior LCF Member

Slush I am 57 and beyond the faster losing years. Are you sure your eating enough? Like Helene said, not much protein. I do also exercise 45 min and walk the dog a mile or so a day. Todays foods were

4:15 am 4 SF cookies (15) carbs and 4 fiber
9:00 am High grain slice bread/Brummel & Brown spread (15) carbs
12:00 pm light hot dog on bagel thin/slice cheese (19) carbs
3:45 Kind bar/ 2 triscuits (15) carbs
6:00 pm pork chop/ mashed cauliflower/kale mix vegs (0) carbs
7:45 Dannon yogurt/ 2oz apple piece (17) carbs
11:30 100 calorie popcorn (20) carbs

The last two are my planned snacks tonight. I am making sure to keep calories 1500 or under, sugar 5 or under, and the fiber 2 or more on anything packaged. I am hoping this continues to work for me!!

Last edited by grac4; 04-27-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #579
Junior LCF Member

Helene, I think I'm getting plenty of protein, I just wasn't very clear about my breakfast muffin. If I'm not working I toast an 17 carb english muffin , add a fried egg, turkey sausage and pepperjack cheese.

On most days when I work I just have a frozen flat bread sandwich with all of the above ingredients.

Yes all my breads are whole grain, high fiber. I don' do much for dairy besides the yogurt and I use a little cream in my coffee.

Grac4, I will turn the big 60 later this year. I have a small terrier/energizer bunny mix that I HAVE to walk every day or I can't live with her. It's about 1 1/2 miles. I'm trying yoga a couple times a week too. I know I should work out more, when the weather ever gets nice I'll be biking again.

I thought I was eating enough, I'm not hungry when I'm done. I have trouble eating before bed...just not hungry.

grac4...are you getting enough sleep? Or is 4:15 A night-time snack?

My job is very busy and physical so a lot of time I'm beat when I get home...( whine, whine, sniffle.. lol )
I feed 36 people their noon meal on weekdays, so I KNOW how to cook and bake...BUT, when I get home I just don't feel like cooking (too lazy) so I keep it pretty simple. I usually just have chicken or turkey with a salad at night. Now that I'm in phase 2 I know I have to eat a carb serving too. I'm with grac4...phase 1 was easier for me!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #580
Senior LCF Member

Slush your dog sounds like mine, my yorkie pouts if the weather is bad and bugs the heck out of me until we walk on good days. She has a dogie door and checks the weather on a regular basis which is so funny to watch! Sticks her head out to see what it's doing until it clears up.

I eat if I wake up to pee during the night which I always do. Most of the time it falls in my 5 hour block. Step one is easier in many ways but I can reduce calories easier on step two so I hope to stay with what I am doing. The cheat day which I never did on step one sure is a real treat as well. I can't see what you are doing wrong as long as you make sure to get your dams in. Maybe stay off the scale for a bit and let the program work. Seems you were losing in a earlier post so maybe just patience : )
Old 04-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Yay, Slush, so glad it is working for you!

Helene, SB has only a two-week phase 1. No fruit or grain, no wine. Limited nuts. Beans okay! I made a chocolate muffin out of black beans that got me through. Phase 2 lets you slowly start to incorporate fruit, whole grains, and wine. I went off the rails a bit this weekend but I don't think I gained...I think it helped restart my metabolism from diet mode. My stomach is actually flatter. So last week I added one carb a day, this week I will add two, next week three, etc. and monitor my weight. Once I level off I have reached my max carb capacity and need to dial it back a bit. That is sort of a nutshell version... I had a sugar-free pudding for dessert and it was great! Let me know if you have specific questions and I will try to answer.

Lori, how are you doing?

Last edited by Southside Girl; 04-28-2014 at 09:54 PM..
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 195/190.4/150
WOE: IF; 4:3/5:2
Start Date: November 16, 2014
Hi Everyone!

It sounds like everyone is working a program that works for them!

I've been doing a form of Intuitive Eating combined with low carb and I love it. I do not eat unless I am truly hungry and then try to stay low carb for the most part. I love listening to my body instead of watching the clock. Perhaps it won't work in the long run, but for now, it feels good. My weight has been creeping down slowly and I hope to enter a new "decade" on the scale this week. Fingers crossed!

I'm still doing boot camp 3-4 times a week and walking the golf course on the weekends when the weather and my schedule permit. I'm focusing more on changing my shape thru exercise and getting stronger. It's a journey girls!

Keep up the great work!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #583
Junior LCF Member

Finding the diet that works for you is key. I am VERY familiar with Atkins. 15 years ago I lost a lot of weight doing Atkins and kept it off for over 5 years. Than for some unknown reason.... I started noticing a lot of hair in the drain when I washed it. Over the next few months I lost almost half of it!!! I panicked and went off the diet.
My hair filled in... but SO DID MY BODY!!! lol

Last year I tried to lose again. I went back on Atkins and lost 25 pounds in 2 months....Great...BUT than I plateaued at 170 and stayed there for 8 months. I think my age has a lot to do with it. Of course, I got discouraged and went off the diet with a vengeance and gained most of the weight back ( never claimed I was smart!).

One day surfing the web (can I claim that as exercise) I stumbled on the MM diet. I carry ALL my weight in my stomach and I fit a lot of the metabolism B types. Plus I liked that Diane told you how many carbs to add back to your diet...Atkins never explained it back than.

Too soon to know if this will work in the long run, But I'm feeling better and sleeping better...that's major!

My sister lost a lot of weight on the South Beach diet 3 years ago, It didn't work for me. She eventually gained it all back. Right now she has done great on the 17 day diet, she's almost to goal. I looked it up....but I'm not sure it will work for me over the long haul.

The MM diet I can do for the rest of my life, so hopefully (fingers crossed) it will work!

I've read a lot of the previous posts and Lori I really admire you and your workouts! I just started yoga and at my age it's been a challenge! I'm motivated to be the best me I can be by my 60th birthday...only have 6 months left!!!

One more thing I've been happy to note...I can get into clothes now that I wore when I was 8 pounds lighter( last years clothes)...so this diet does make you lose inches over weight. So grac4, I'm taking you advice and staying off the scale...
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #584
Junior LCF Member

I finally read all the previous messages on this site and I have a question... grac4 you said that in phase 2 we have to watch the sugar content in our 11-20 carb thingy. I checked both my books and I couldn't find that. Just said 11-20 carb with 2 or more fiber.

Did I miss something? I was wondering if she said something about it on her website?

I like to keep a high fiber bar in my purse in case I'm caught away from home for more than 5 hours...the lowest I could find had 7g of sugar. I am finding it hard to find things with under 5g. Any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Slush Diane had made updates to the program and I am not sure if the sugar is one of them until I search the book. 6 grams of sugar is her maximum but preferably 5. Some kind bars are 5 grams, then you just have to add a cracker or something because they are not 11 carbs. If I think I need a treat I have kind bars, atkins indulge bars and some sugar free cookies are high enough in fiber. Otherwise I have Greek yogurt which I love. I agree with you on MM, I can easily do this and not feel I am missing anything! Even when my weight wasn't moving I still feel great just want the scale to keep moving down. It's not like it has to move allot, I am happy with anything, even ounces : )
Old 05-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #586
Senior LCF Member

Just remembered, Kashi also has a Honey Almond Flax bar that is 5 grams sugar, I enjoy them!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #587
Junior LCF Member

Thanks again grac4...I will look for the bars. I understand about the loss, I'd be happy with anything at this point. I've been ignoring the scale.

If I can't get my act together I might have to go back on phase 1. When I'm really busy at work it's easy to forget to eat or miss my 5 hour window and I know that's as bad as eating too much carbs.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #588
Senior LCF Member

set a cellphn alarm slush
i have about 5 set on mine! lol
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #589
Junior LCF Member

Good Sunday afternoon everyone!

We have finally got some sunshine here after a long week of rain...I walked the dog twice yesterday and once so far today.

Just wanted to share a funny thing that happened to me yesterday.
I had spent the morning cleaning the house and decided to walk the dog. I changed out of my gross but highly loved sweat pants and put on an old pair of ratty jeans to wear in public ( after all...appearances are everything! ) When I got home I was puttering around when I realized I REALLY had to tinkle! I made a mad dash to the biffy, yanked down my pants and while I was enjoying the ultimate relief...I glanced down and realized I was still wearing the jeans...not the sweat pants AND I HAD PULLED THEM DOWN WITHOUT UNSNAPPING OR UNZIPPING THEM!!!

After all my whining this diet seems to be working after all!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #590
Senior LCF Member

Good for you Slush, these moments are the ones to remember when things seem tough! We also have to remember were losing fat not water and muscle. I should only be losing 3-5 lbs every 8 weeks according to the chart so I am trying to stay off the scale. That doesn't seem like much in 8 weeks but I am content and not having a hard time on step 2, seems to be going easy and I feel great!!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #591
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mbrownstone
Stats: 238/224/128
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: March 27, 2014
Not been on the forum for a while, thought I'd check in. Good to see some folks posting. Not sure how to get emails when there are updates. Guess I'll have to poke around.

Been keeping strong on the MM Stage 1. Today ends Week 6, but because I had two lapses when my husband and I were traveling, I'm adding an additional week. The scale is not showing loss probably because I am eating a lot of nuts and seeds. I'm thinking that this week I might try to layer on the counting of WW points to the MM Step 1 plan and see if I can move the scale down and still feel sated. Wish me luck.
mbrownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #592
Senior LCF Member

mbrownstone I have been kind of on the same idea as you only counting calories and watching fat. I am dropping, not fast but I think I should at least hit the 3-5 lbs loss in my 8 weeks. Very strange how things work with the body though, for my cheat this week I decided I wanted to try out a local donut shop where people drive for miles to buy from. Coming from the East Coast where we had fresh bakeries on most corners I have always had a love for donuts my true downfall in unhealthy food. This would be my first donut in almost 2 years! The guy promised me I was in for quite a treat for all there stuff is fresh never frozen anything. Oh my he was so right, I ate two for my cheat and was in food heaven. This morning I was afraid to weigh but curious and thought I was seeing things when I dropped a pound . I got on 3 times just to be sure. Makes no sense but I was happy and of course went right back on program. One of my favorite parts of step two is having that cheat meal without going off program.
Hope everyone is well and keeps posting
Old 05-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #593
Junior LCF Member

I agree, everyone needs to tweak their diet to fit their needs. I'm ashamed to admit I fell off the diet yesterday. I am finding that phase 2 of MM might be the perfect diet for me to maintain weight loss...HOWEVER...since I'm not at maintain level I am going to shake it up.

Helene, how has the wheat and dairy restriction working for you? I think I might be one of the sensitive to carbs people.

I think I will go back on a form of phase 1 and see if I can start losing again. I'm going to go for a month on just lean meat and vegetables and see what happens. I know that's unhealthy for the long run, but 30 days should be okay???
Old 05-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #594
Senior LCF Member

im still grainfree except for steelcut oats with cream 1-2x a week. dont miss grains except for PIZZA but i found a good almondmeal-garbanzo flour recipe finally/
i havent given up dairy after all, but cut back on cheese as i find its very addictive for me. i eat homemade yogurt that I culture a very long time so its less carbs when its done. i also eat ricotta ocassionally, well my kids end up eating most of it when i make it lol
i could never do lean meats. i eat tons of vegs but with yummy meats and also fat on the vegs too. still losing wgt VERY SLOWLY.
anyhow still fighting the afternoon deaddog tiredness. it went away and came back and i dont think its food related. its my sleep not being good at nite
Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #595
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mickyzzzzz05
Start Date: July 24 2003 Aktins/10/09 MM
Are any of you still doing the MM? Restarted today and just wondered if anyone on this board was still active.
mickyzzzzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Im not doing it as it's lowfat and high protein. Im doing very high fat, just adequate protein, very low carb. Going into ketosis as we speak lol
It looks like no one else has posted in a couple months...
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #597
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mickyzzzzz05
Start Date: July 24 2003 Aktins/10/09 MM
I also do higher fat. We have been gone so much that I was going to restart. Thank you for responding to the post! Good luck on your plan!
mickyzzzzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #598
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Hello, all. I have been off this board for a while. I was having a lot of issues with my weight and my losing ground to a halt no matter what I did. I finally went to my endocrinologist and she was at her wits' end as all my blood work was good. So we took a drastic step, because the more I gained the higher my pressure went up, and I do not want to increase the dose if I can help it. I am trying to lose so I can get off these meds. She prescribed Belviq, a weight loss drug that has to do with cravings...it also seems to kick start weight-loss when nothing else works. Yes, you have to watch your food, and yes, increase your exercise, and it does have some risks attached to long-term use. Our plan is to try it for 90 days and then wean off it. So far in three weeks I have lost 8 pounds, with 11 to go. I am eating a very well-balanced diet, tons of veggies, lean protein, a couple fruits per day, and a few nut and popcorn snacks. I log every bite I eat in Lose It! and work out five days a week (weight training, rowing, elliptical, and yoga), and sometimes I swim as a sixth day. The first 10 days were a bit rough with a low-grade headache and fatigue, but now I feel fine. I have some trepidation with this but am willing to try it, under my doc's care, for the three months. Then done. I will not tell you this is a magic bullet but it has truly helped me control my cravings and eliminated binge eating. I am trying to really make these new habits a part of my life so I can maintain when I am off this medication. I hope everyone is doing okay. I am sorry to see the big drop-off on this thread.
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote