Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
Sounds like your doing well MB, just be careful with the amount of croûtons you have since they are bread. I don't have a problem leaving the carbs behind either because I feel so much better without them. I don't look at this as a diet, this is a lifetime way of life for me. I figure almost everyone deals with something health wise and this isn't really much compared to other issues in life. . Besides I haven't been able to eat a normal amount of food in years without gaining weight, especially rich foods! I am trying to back off the richer choices but it is my downfall .
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #542
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mbrownstone
Stats: 238/224/128
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: March 27, 2014
I hear you about rich foods!

Just sat down with my 2-bag cup of green tea. Time to reflect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grac4 View Post
Besides I haven't been able to eat a normal amount of food in years without gaining weight, especially rich foods! I am trying to back off the richer choices but it is my downfall .
I hear you about the rich choices grac4. I had stayed away from eggs, cheese and meat for the longest--of course I did not loose any weight to speak of--and now I'm adding them in.

Now that I'm in my third week of stage 1, I'm finding that wonderful salad are tasting mighty good and are satisfying as well. That will help me scale back on the fatty cheeses and meat while boosting my cruciferous veggies.

Today I brought a water bottle to the pool and drank a couple of times during my 1-hour workout. Followed the workout by drinking the rest of the jug. I swear that I was not experiences the same degree of tiredness today. Must be that I was dehydrating myself.

Against the recommendation of Diane Kress's Metabolism Miracle plan, I am weighing myself every time I go to the gym--can't help it. Today I not only felt slimmer, the scale confirmed it with a 4-lb loss. If I cut back on the amount of nuts, seeds and cheese and substitute more veggies, I will probably do better because loading fats up front only means that my metabolism has to deal with those before working on my stores.
mbrownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Yes MB it seems almost impossible to stay off the scale! It drives me nuts when I am disappointed and lately seeing a drop is not happening. . I have even started weighing my fruit to make sure when I mix it with plain yogurt I am not exceeding my 20 carb limit. Today was exactly 2 weeks on step 2 for me. I went up 2 pounds after the first couple days and have maintained that gain so far. That's why I was getting paranoid that maybe I was exceeding carbs somewhere but found I have not. I write everything down and go back over it with the times I eat and also record the lengths of my walks and exercise. The only thing I may not be doing by the book is a coffee later in the day as well as in the morning. The first time I did MM I dropped weight fast no matter what fat I was eating. Not true anymore and I wonder if it's because I no longer have the active job I once had. Since we moved and I have the house together maybe I just dont get enough activity in a day
Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Hi, all. I have been absent as I have dropped off the MM bandwagon. I was at a dead standstill and hated being so regimented in my eating. it should not be so formulated! I have been reading a book called Intuitive Eating and it has me thinking about relearning my body's hunger signals and need to eat. I don't think eating when I am not hungry is working for me, but just gives me permission to indulge in emotional eating...and of course that is a slippery slope for me as I snuck in more carby stuff.

I am back on South Beach, which is more reasonable for me, and I do lose on it. The first phase is pretty restrictive but I am a week through and can start adding fruit and whole grains again in a week.

I hope everyone is doing well and finds the right WOE that works for them. Take care and have a great weekend!
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:56 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Hi All,

grac...sounds like the same thing that happened to me. I gained 4 lbs in a month of eating by the clock. I felt good, but just couldn't face the gain. I, too, got tired of eating when I wasn't hungry. I exercise a lot, but that didn't seem to matter. I'm still not losing....just maintaining by eating low carb. I'm trying not to stress over it....I don't know what else I can do.

I think part of my problem is eating too much natural peanut butter. I finished a jar on Wednesday and made up my mind that I wouldn't open a new jar for at least a week to see if it makes any difference. Round and round I go!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #546
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Lori. Natural peanut butter is good for you, but it is still WAY fattening. Just two tablespoons has nearly 200 calories! And I don't know a out you but I can inhale two tablespoons in a minute. I have the most success when I track cals and eat low carb. Simple physiology tells us that there IS a calories in/calories out equation, and most of these plans that don't require you to measure focus on low-cal foods. I keep falling for them and being disappointed. Call me impatient but a pound a month is just not worth it. So I am back on the Beach but counting my calories and have started to lose again. It just never ends! Sometimes I feel that by the time I am 65 all I will be able to eat to maintain will be lettuce and plain tuna!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #547
Senior LCF Member

Hi Lori,
Since you are on the MM site don't you wonder how many are having the same issue we are and just not saying anything? Some of the girls have been on it for years and you just have to wonder where they are with it and how much they have lost. Southside I think the only option I am going to have left is to follow the MM program but just be very aware of the calories. I don't know anything about southbeach diet but I know it is very popular. Maybe I should read up on it. The thing for me is I can't mess myself up because if nothing else the MM program restored some very bad health issues I was having. That alone keeps me on this way of life. My blood work has been amazing also and that says allot. Heck I even weigh my fruit now because I am paranoid. I did figure out by doing that my fruit portions were fine the way I was eye balling things. Years ago when I lost easily I cut out all the fat and I lost like crazy. Maybe the combination of lower fat, lower calorie and low carb will do it
Old 04-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #548
Senior LCF Member

Grac4, you might want to read up on SB. It has a lot of similarities with MM (lower carbs, and healthy ones) but the first crave-buster phase is only 2 weeks and then you get to slowly start adding in fruit, brown rice, whole grain pasta and bread, and sweet potatoes. Basically the third week you add one serving a day, the fourth week two servings, the fifth three servings...and all this time you are monitoring how your body reacts, so you learn YOUR personal threshold. It is very big on lean protein and heavy on veggies, but you are allowed yogurt and beans on the first phase! What I like is that it is less regimented and more flexible, while addressing your unique metabolism. I have no issues with my blood work but I do have thyroid disease, which makes it VERY hard for me to lose weight and my doc suggested I try it. I lost 20 pounds, 10 of which crept back over the past three years, entirely my fault for falling off the maintenance plan due to major stress. Check it out online, there is a ton of info on it! I thought I would try MM but it really didn't do it for me, and I see that most people who were on it on these boards are no longer here. Makes you wonder... Good luck, lady! I am down four pounds this week. Oh, and you are allowed to weigh yourself once a week!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #549
Senior LCF Member

Southside did you buy the book for southbeach or did you get all you needed to know online? Maybe something different would shake things up to where I would start to loose again like I did when I started MM! Of course I have a crazy thyroid also, who knows I guess what's the worst that could happen : ). I will go do some searching on it. Your not going to leave this board are you? I hope not!!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #550
Senior LCF Member

I could be wrong but I think I figured out what is wrong with my weight loss. I looked back over my charts I keep and can clearly see my losses stalled when my doctor put me on Diovan for blood pressure. I researched the drug and found people to list weight gain while taking the drug. There is no doubt that this is the time frame and my stomach has taken on a feeling of swelling with this drug. I am going to stop taking it for a week and see what happens, this is the only way I know how to figure this out. She has let me stop taking blood pressure meds before and I was fine until some stressful life events occurred. I just wish I hadn't taken it today already . I also posted on MM so I am sure Diane will chime in on her opinion and of course I will update if this proves to be the culprit. I so hope so because before this drug I was doing so well
Old 04-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #551
Senior LCF Member

Fingers crossed that you figure it out! It might be worth a call to your doc. She can weigh in--ha ha--and perhaps suggest a different medication. Keep us posted!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #552
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Slush26
I just found this site today. I have been on the MM diet since 2-2-14 and just finished my second week in phase 2. I lost 13 pounds in phase 1 and so far on phase 2, I gained a pound in week 1 and stayed the same on week 2. I watch my timing and carb amounts so don't know why it isn't working.

10 years ago, I lost a lot of weight on the Atkins diet and kept it off for 5 years...Than I noticed I was losing a lot of hair, got scared and went off the diet. I slowly gained ALL the weight back. Last year I tried the Atkins diet again, lost 20 pounds and hit 170 lbs than plateaued for 8 months, got discouraged and found the 20 pounds again!

I guess I'm afraid that I am plateauing again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. On the plus side I'm feeling better and sleeping better so that's a win/win.
Slush26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #553
Senior LCF Member

Slush I am sure you read going up a pound or so is normal but then we are suppose to drop it back off. I would hang in there longer and see how it goes. We must be our own detectives and finding all the information we can is where places like this helps. Plateauing is so frustrating when we try so hard to do it all right. I am really hoping my meds are my cause. Welcome to the board!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #554
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome, grac4...I have both the MM book and her recipe book. I'm hoping that the weight gain is just my body adjusting to the added carbs after 2 months of carb restriction. I'm loving having the added carbs and have found lots of 11-20 carb items with 3g or more fiber. In phase 1, I did a lot of cooking...made the chocolate muffins, zucchini muffins, veggie lasagna and quiche so the 8 weeks were pretty painless.

All in all I'm very happy to have found this site and people who are in the same boat...no matter if it is using MM or trying variations of it. I'm always ready to learn new and better ways to figure out how to eat for life!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

I haven't as yet tried any variations to the plan. I guess I am afraid I will be disappointed again and end up chasing diets that never work. I was at goal weight with MM until the change in meds and my doctor had also taken me off a water pill a previous doctor had given me. I was told my body would adjust and balance out but it never did. Between that and taking the new blood pressure med the weight gain started and I never lost it and it all seems in the Belly. Makes me feel like a pear : (. I worked hard staying on plan to get where I was and this is just unacceptable. One way or the other I got to figure it out and be back at my goal weight!!

I always found food I enjoyed in step 1 as well so I never felt deprived. The addition of fruit and yogurt is a nice change and lower calorie lower fat choices in step 2 I was hoping would help with a loss. If I start losing as soon as I stop this med I will be so happy!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #556
Senior LCF Member

Lori I made something I thing you would love that is healthy without the fat! I put 2 tbl of PB2 in plain greek yogurt and it was really good. I used 1/2 cup yogurt because I added 1/3 banana and the mixture was wonderful. The PB2 makes the yogurt even thicker and super creamy. I added some sweetener as well but this way you could have lots of peanut butter taste without any guilt. Of course without the banana you could have a whole cup of yogurt if you wanted : )
Old 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #557
Senior LCF Member

I love the PB2! One of my favorite ore-workout snacks is 1.5 c of unsweetened vanilla almond milk with two T PB2 and one packet of Pure Via stevia blend. So tasty and gives me enough energy to get through my lifting workout!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!

I have had PB2 in the past, and may even have some in the cupboard. I wonder if it will still be good? I'll have to give it a sniff and see if it smells rancid. I may have to try it again since I've given up my natural PB for the time being.

Thanks for the tips!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #559
Junior LCF Member

I just started phase 2 a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering how many here are on it? I will be on it a while because I have 30 pounds to lose.

If I don't start losing, I think I might go back to phase 1. I will hit the big 60 later this year, so I'm really motivated to get healthy.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Slush I am on step two for now, I am in the process of getting Diane's advice on my lack of loss and meds I am taking, who knows she may send me back to step one! I don't know how long it takes to get these meds out of my system to see if they were my problem or not. This is my third day without the Diovan and no matter what I hope I can stay off all meds!! This will be my 3rd week on step two Friday.

Helene where are you at?? You are usually always around : )
Old 04-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #561
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mbrownstone
Stats: 238/224/128
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: March 27, 2014
Started WEEK 4 of Stage 1 Today

Welcome Slush26, good to see a fellow newbie on this board. Weighing every day is not advisable. We should be delaying that gratification for the 8-week mark. Also, isn't it the measurements that are the proof? Muscle weighs more than fat. I recall the MM book saying that we will look like we lost more than we actually lost.

Has anyone reported inches lost? I didn't weigh myself until 2 weeks in, but I will take all those measurements again at the end of 8 weeks. And, if I don't see a significant change I will be very very unhappy.

Started WEEK 4 of Stage 1 today.
I'm so excited that I have licked my carb cravings that I don't care that the scale is not providing reinforcement. I do know that I am eating way more fat than I used to, and more meat too. Now that I don't miss the carbs I can start to get more reasonable with the use of meat and fat. That will probably help with the weight loss. A good part of my motivation for going on this was not only my previously insatiable craving for carbs that lead to out of control eating of things like potato chips and french fries, but also the fear that I was headed towards Diabetes 2--my grandfather had it, so it's not unreasonable to think that I could develop it. Furthermore, when I was younger I put weight on evenly distributed around my body; now, I put it on everywhere and lots of extra around my gut.

Looking forward to a wonderful salad tonight. Who knew that I would look forward to salads for a meal, but it happened. Whoo-Hoooo.

Keep this board lively.
mbrownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #562
Junior LCF Member

Good morning all!!!
Thanks for the welcome mbrownstone!
I'm about to complete my 3rd week in phase 2. I didn't weigh myself in phase 1 until the 7th week, didn't hold out till the 8th... MY BAD!! lol.

I'm dreading the scale and suck at measuring myself. I started a yoga class 3 weeks ago and I'm doing 1 class a week. I'm about as flexible as a frozen slab of meat, but the instructor is great and very encouraging and shows me easier positions to start out with.

I keep telling myself that even if I'm not losing, I know I'm eating better and I have gone down a size. I used to crave carbs too, I could eat a whole bag of Lays potato chips with a container of French Onion dip and call it a meal.

My mind set is changing for the better too. I cook the main dinner meal for 36 senior citizens at work and this week all the Easter goodies have been funneling in, cakes, candy, cookies...I had no trouble staying away from them, I almost look at them as poison!

I will admit, I've had trouble this week getting the serving of carbs in every 5 hours. I usually have breakfast at 6:30 and my lunch isn't until 1:30, so I have to get another carb serving in there before 11:30. That's the busiest time of the day for me and than I'm suppose to have another carb serving a lunch. I think my body is having some trouble adjusting to the carbs after phase 1. Last night I wasn't hungry before bedtime and couldn't bring myself to eat anything.

Anyway...enough about me...I'm hoping this board will continue...Nice to meet others with a common goal... Have a great Easter!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #563
Senior LCF Member

It has been very quiet around here! I thought I would update, I went off my blood pressure med and after a week my pressure started to rise and I had headaches. It didn't go up allot but I went back on it at least until I see the doctor to maybe go back on what I use to take. I did not lose weight during that week so maybe it was not the medication, who knows. Maybe it was wishful thinking . I decided to try a new strategy just to know what I am actually eating each day. Curious about calories and such, I downloaded a tracker and started entering what I am eating and get an idea of the calories I eat in a day. Kind of the old way of thinking I guess. In addition I am staying on step 2, just watching what I am eating. It seems I average about 1500 calories a day on which I should be losing a pound a week. I am going to stay in that range and see what happens. I really like the app, it records exercise as well as water and such. Making sure I am sticking to the 1500 calorie range should tell me if this new strategy works . I just want to make some progress here . I do know many of the goodies we make or bake can be very high in calorie even though they are low or no carb. Gosh it just seems to make sense you can only eat so many calories in a day unless your a athlete or something to burn them off. I will post if it makes any difference but there is always hope
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #564
Senior LCF Member

Good luck with your new plan grac. I just find it too tedious to record every morsel that I eat. I'm kind of just doing my own version of low carb and working my butt off at boot camp. I've been staying the same, but did manage to lose 3 lbs last week due to getting off the natural peanut butter! I made the mistake of opening a new jar of PB this week and I've been diving in to it. I suppose the 3 lbs will be back this week. This is my last jar of PB and I'll try not to buy any more since I have no control over it.

Hope all the newbies here are having success with MM. My membership at MV has expired and I haven't renewed it. There never seemed to be much activity there although I did find a lot of info when I first started the program.

Have a good week.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #565
Senior LCF Member

So far so good but I am afraid to think it will continue. I have dropped several pounds in a couple days. I am going to make sure I stay within the 1500 calories except on a cheat day when the hubby and I go out. I remember when I first started MM I was on Weight Watchers so I was very careful with what I was eating. I think when I went to MM I continued a lower fat version. I was working and didn't have time to create dishes and desserts like I do now. I was shocked at the actual calorie count of many allowable foods made with oils, almond flours, butter and so on. I can't imagine consuming allot of calories, even low carb can have a weight loss out come. I will let you know how it continues but I am hopeful!! I am still on step 2 and hope to stay here until I reach my desired weight.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #566
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
Hey, I dont know why but i stopped getting the emails for here lol
So Ive lost another 2lbs, barely. I eat lots of greens still and other veggies. I am having greens at every meal. My cravings are so gone that even trying crap just does not thrill me in any way, shape or form. Well except pop...had that one nite last week (diet of course) while out to eat and it was GOOD lol. Ah well, just stay away from it and im fine. That craving gone too. I do sometimes get hungry but eating a veg satisfies that. I often eat a light dinner. Ive been having ALOT of stress lately and nothing "naughty" appealed to me but fruit. So i ate a pc of that lol. I tried eating chocolate last nite and i square off my Lindt bar was plenty. DANG when im stressed and need relief now, food dont do it :0 Thot about the ricotta pudding thing and i eat enough fat already so that didnt thrill me either. Now that Ive been eating high fat long enough (and taking cod liver oil again) i rly dont want any extra "treat" stuff.
Makes me aware of my self-medicating with food! Even when its in neutral foods.
And lets me see how much we want certain things becuz we are not eating what we should be daily.
Anyway, nice to see Lori, that u figured out ur PB downfall. and grac4 its gotta be SOMEthing with ur meds...ur very careful. Also, I would cut out grains personally. I have noticed huge energy difference. I eat glutenfree grain maybe 2x a week. 1/2c portion with protein and fat. its lets u have room for more GREENS too LOL
I also discovered BEANS <waaaaaa> make me sleepy when I eat them. I am so sad. Im at the point where i can give them up esp since I L.O.V.E. the way i feel the 6 wks or more. but its so sad for me lol
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #567
Senior LCF Member

Hi, all. I have been visiting the board but haven't been posting as I am no longer doing MM. I am just into week three of South Beach and I've lost six pounds. I will weigh tomorrow so we will see what happens. I have to say I love eating strawberries again! I'm eating low carb but have incorporated more carbs via quinoa, the occasional whole wheat half-English muffin, and fruit! I feel much happier, less denied. I'm eating a square or two of lower-carb dark chocolate when the craving hits and it's not stalling me. This is a much more reasonable plan for me. I've just started reading Sugar Busters and I'm going to add some of their concepts to my SB plan. If I can stay steady at this pace I'll be a happy camper at the end of May!

Wishing everyone much success. I'll still drop by to say hi. You ladies are all so awesome!
SSG
Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #568
Senior LCF Member

Good to hear from you Helene, you sound like you could become a vegetarian! I like veggies but not all the time. I love my meat . A couple days ago the hubby and I went to a Italian buffet and that was a big cheat meal for me. It was delicious though and worth it. My strategy to undo the calories was to eat lighter the next day but stayed in my 5 hour carb dams and ate lighter. It seemed to work, I didn't go up in weight so I was happy. I think counting carbs and calories is going to work for me.

Southside so glad South Beach Diet is working for you. If I end up stuck with what I am doing now I might just give it a try. Our bodies are so different it's hard to know what will work unless we try.

All you ladies have an excellent day and hope everyone is feeling success
Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #569
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone!

I've been seeing the scale drop a little the past couple weeks, so I'm pretty happy. I just try to only eat when I'm truly hungry and then keep low carb.

We're going to an Italian restaurant for a retirement party tonight. OY! I'm saving up carbs so I can have a bit of pasta and the homemade Gelato that this place is known for. We have never been there, but I've been wanting to try it for some time.

Tomorrow morning we're going to Gettysburg PA for the weekend. We'll do a little touring around tomorrow(and outlet shopping!), and then our son is running a marathon Sunday morning. I'll try to keep my eating in line, but it could be a bit of a challenge.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well on their respective plans. Have a wonderful weekend!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #570
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
I am most definitely a vegetarian but i eat lots of meat lol. Most vegheads are granarians. They eat TONS of grains, not much vegs! I buy and eat vegs like a veghead should but I have lovely fatty meats with them (and bacon! or sausage) and fullfat dairy--yogurt, kefir and cheese and lots of eggs. I made a bunch of mtballs a couple wks ago and froze them in baggies where its easy to pop out some for a meal or even snack. But I really do try not to overdo the protein as its turned to glucose if u eat too much (over 6oz a meal or probably 16oz a day--i stay around 3oz a meal and have some nuts & seeds some days or some cheese). I dont want alot anyway as im always kinda full or fill up quickly. Wish the wgt was still coming off 2lbs a week but oh well. I feel TERRIFIC!
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote