Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
on a positive note---LADIES *EAT YOUR GREEN VEGGIES*. I watched an explanation several days ago as to WHY these veggies are sooooo important. We (as the general public and probably most MMers also) lack potassium and potassium deficiency creates CRAVINGS and HUNGER. It also holds water and prevents FAT BURNING. The RDA is 4700mg. EVERY DAY.
As long as theyre fibrous veggies (altho starchy vegs are good too), EAT EAT EAT them.
Im talking to the tune of *8* CUPS a day, every day. A nice big salad for lunch and 2 different veggies for dinner and you'd be doing good, but remember to eat 2 veggies for brkfst too...im talking 1-1.5c portions. It's alot at first but do it. Try to make greens be a big proportion of them, but ANY fibrous vegs are good.
Believe or not, bananas are not the go-to food source for potassium. Avocados are way higher (just 1/2 an avocado is alot more than a banana), salmon is high, beans & squash are high (yeah, i know, cant have them till Step 2 and then very limited amts), mushrooms are high, the leafy greens & other cruciferous vegs, as I said; and yes, coconut water (the hype is true, it's nature's gatorade, high in sodium also). Even unsugared coconut water has alot of carbs tho for step 1 so be careful.
I never eaten such high quantities of greens daily. I had a GI clean out the first day so mite be better to gradually build up if ur not good about eating ur veggies lol I actually look fwd to eating more of them now. They make me feel GOOD!
Beans & greens topped with eggs has been my fav brkfst for almost a decade now cuz of how just --happy-- it makes me but I never ate this many veggies, esp greens, thruout the day consistently. All i did was nuke my brussels last nite and salt and butter em...yummy.
Try it for even 4 days. See if you dont feel better and actually WANT to keep eating 8cups a day of veggies.
Theres my March Madness Challenge for us lol
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #482
Senior LCF Member

TY lori, and congrats on cheating the scale to u too lol
Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Congrats, ladies! Any loss is a good loss. I haven't gotten on the scale since before vacation and I won't for at least a week, now that I am back on track. Helene, I agree with you about the veggies. I eat a lot of veggies and when I don't I feel much slower and heavier. Tonight we had pork loin chops and I had both broccoli and cauliflower. I also made chili this weekend with ground turkey, some tomatoes, but a lot of peppers and onions and celery, plus about 3/4 can of black beans...and it was such a delicious lunch, along with a salad. I portioned it out in one-cup segments to keep the carbs down but it was so filling! So happy to have some new carbs in my diet!
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

yep, carbs are fun lol
Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #485
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Good Morning!

I'm still trying to recover from Day 2 of boot camp. Still feeling Once I have my Greek yogurt, I'll feel better. Glad to have a day off tomorrow.

Last night I browned some lean ground beef, then threw in a bunch of the assorted greens that my sister brought for me. I wilted them down and then put a little Asian peanut sauce(4 carb/TB) over all of it. It was SO good! I may have the same thing tonight! She bought that big bag of greens at her local Costco, and we don't have one here. I'll have to have a look at my supermarket and see if they have anything similar. It's just so handy.

Ok......yogurt time!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Walmart even sells big bags of greens. they recently had a mixed greens bag with turnip greens, collards and mustard greens (with a little kick!). I LOVE turnip and beet grns, so delicate.
I made Colcannon last nite, an Irish dish with potatoes, milk and spinach i think. I used swt pot and the mixed grns and coconut milk. i ate 1c of it as it was literally half grns. Still, havent had that much carb at one time in several wks (!) Sat in my stomach like a brick by an hour later lol
Oh I DO love swt pot
Next time im gonna make twice baked swt pot and use the colcannon as the stuffing (to cut down on the swt pot itself so i can have a whole cup). Or u can make fried potato-cakes using the leftover colcannon too, just add an egg or 2...
The frozen bags of spinach are good too; just thaw, drain, squeeze out. Meanwhile, sauté up some onion, garlic and add spinach at the end. Let it kinda get browning if u can, and salt and pepper---i use vinegar too--really tasty. Or redhot or mustard or whatever. I can eat 2c of this pretty easy. But watch out--u'll be in the bathroom if u dont work up to this much, as cooked spinach is really concentrated lol

Last edited by Hélène; 03-18-2014 at 06:56 AM..
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #487
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
That is great Helene, isn't 5 lb in 8 weeks really good? I don't think I am going to be at 5, maybe 3 lb loss! A week from Friday I can move to step 2 if I want, just not sure about the eating schedule and if I want to bother with it.
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #488
Senior LCF Member

no at my wgt i should lose 6lbs at absolute minimum and its been 9 wks actualy. the way ive been exercising, i should be dropping by the 13lbs...IMO
if i could drop 15lbs i'd be ecstatic at this point...i need to lose another 30 b4 i even think of stopping. need to lose another 50 really, i am petite frame.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

I had a little meltdown yesterday after work. I didn't feel well all day, just tired and achy. When I got home I wolfed down about a cup of tuna noodle casserole. Popped it in the micro and put it down the hatch before I could take time to think about what I was doing. The rest of the day was on plan, so I'm hoping my morning exercise yesterday will take care of the damage. Just one of those things. I'm shooting for a very low carb day today. I'm going to start weighing myself Mondays and Thursdays. I don't work out Sunday or Wednesday and I tend to weigh less on the day after no exercise. Something to do with muscles holding on to water or something. Anyway, I think it'll give me a better idea of where I actually am. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Happy hump day!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #490
Senior LCF Member

yeah having carb-y food around makes it hard. i mite eat it, but i'd never take the time to make it and wait for it to cook, i'd say NO-NO. but if it's just a matter of nuking it...mite happen lol
on a good note, im getting my period prob and no choc cravings even watsoever. yay. (forgot it was due even HA)
Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 AM   #491
Senior LCF Member

Happy Sunday everyone! Today's plan calls for a very low carb day. Not sure if it'll pan out that way or not. I've been doing some reading about Carb cycling. Basically you eat more carbs on days when you work out, and a lot less on your rest days. Makes sense in theory. That would mean today should be very low as I don't plan on doing much. I'll be puttering around the house doing laundry and whatnot.

I'm also going to try to lay off the peanut butter this week. I have a terrible habit of bringing the PB jar into the living room with a spoon. I shudder to think how many calories I have ingested doing that. It is natural pb that requires being stirred when you first open the jar, so I'm letting it in the cupboard still sealed. I usually open the jar and stir it up and then put it in the fridge...ready for me to attack later.

Hope you're all doing well.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Nite time is not hard for me. afternoons are tho. i just dont seem to fill at lunch. at least this is what i've decided this last week. i need more to DO is ALOT of my problem also. Im without a car and working at home w/the kids only, no school or outside work---so i need to get out more lol
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #493
Senior LCF Member

I think I am going to go to step 2 Friday and give it another try. I am thinking I can cut back naturally on fat and calories since many step 2 choices have less fat and calories. With all the fresh fruits hitting the market it seems like the perfect time! I am pretty sure sugar was my only mistake previously and I wont do that again!! I love the kind bars and they are only 5 grams of sugar. If I don't like it I will just hop back to step 1 again. Either way I am better off then I ever was following anything before : )
Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #494
Senior LCF Member

i am doing step 2 too but making myself eat a veggie, preferably a cruciferous veg, b4 i eat anything else ever. some meals i eat 2, 1 b4 and one later. still find 1/2 a fruit is plenty at once. today in church i realized that my stomach is most def not as puffed out. no way i could rest my hand, my book or watever, on it. i felt utter joy.
the rolls are still there and im def still round but it IS gettin a little better. YES
Old 03-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Good for you Helene, it is the little things we notice that helps keep us going! I really hope step 2 is a success for me this time. Do you eat in the middle of the night Helene?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #496
Senior LCF Member

no way. i have insomnia. if im sleeping, theres no way im waking me up. i dont think i'd do it anyway. my body was designed to sleep 8hrs or so, with the back up system of liver releasing glucose for me so i dont die. once a day, i'll let it do it so i can rest. thats very important too.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #497
Senior LCF Member

I would never wake myself up for a dam but unfortunately I seem to wake up anyway. Last time I was popping grapes or something quick!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #498
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
So I was pretty bad Mon-Wed of last week... Ate pizza AND binged out on cereal. So basically I'm just going to extend my phase 1 through the rest of the month and start step 2 April 1.

I weighed myself after all the carbs I injested just to like guilt myself into getting back on track, and surprisingly I did not gain any weight! So I don't feel as guilty about it, but I think it's more important to NOT binge on step 1. Oh well. I've been holding steady at my current weight for a few weeks now, which is about right considering I haven't been working out as much and have been overdoing carbs.

I cannot wait for the weather to actually be WARM. March is my least favorite month because of the weather, it looks like it should be warm with the sun but it's just super cold still and windy. And muddy. Ugh.

Anyways, this weekend and today have been pretty good nutrition-wise. Hope everyone else is doing well!!
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #499
Senior LCF Member

Hello all!

I had a carb fest last night for dinner. I made beef noodle soup and ate a good sized helping of noodles So, so good!

Back on track with a low carb day today. I'll weigh myself Thursday or Friday and see what direction I'm heading in!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #500
Senior LCF Member

ima feeling good today. ate at 9.30 and now kyna hungry at 1.30. love it!
wearing a pair of jeans i try out every week or so, but end up taking up after 4 or 5 hrs cuz they just hurt my belly, like my internal organs were being squished. realized ive had them on an hr and it doesnt hurt at all even wen i consciously thot about it. u dont even know the excitement this causes me!
to think my belly is starting to lose inches is TREMENDOUS ~insert cheerleader smiley~ (cant find the smileys button lol)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #501
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Hi, all. Sounds like everyone is surviving. I've been sort of crazy lately, and I haven't been following any particular plan, just trying to eat mindfully and not gain. I'm keeping my carbs on the low side, and eating complex carbs, not simple ones (no white bread, potatoes, rice).

Lori, I'm also interested in carb cycling--I think that is the philosophy behind the Fast Metabolism diet, which I'm considering in April. A modified form thereof, though. They don't want you to drink coffee--even decaf--and that's not gonna happen! I'll shift to decaf and have it with food, but I need my coffee. It's my mental lifter of the day! (She says caffeine is hard on the adrenal system, which is why you need to have food with it.) FM seems sort of complicated but it's only for four weeks and it's worth a shot. Maybe. Still mulling it over. It shares a lot of the same science that MM does, but it's more about shifting up and tricking your metabolism. Hmmm.

I wish I wasn't so addicted to carbs, but such is life. I'm a big protein and veggie eater so I'm trying to keep the other stuff down, just for general health purposes. Ay yi yi, it never ends!

Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #502
Senior LCF Member

yeah stimulants are very hard on ur adrenals. my adrenals are a big part of my problem as far as inability to lose even wen im very "good". i only ever drink organic decaf--the others are chlorinated & stuff in the decaf process. i only have actual coffee once in a great while, but i do love mocha shakes--made with kale lol...no ice cream!
im also gonna get on a sleeping pill 2mrw from the MD; ive had it with not sleeping or sleeping well. its been almost 15yrs now and i deserve to get my adrenals unstressed so i can heal. yeppers. i was worried about getting addicted, but now i'll just cross that bridge if and when i come to it...
Old 03-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #503
Senior LCF Member

Helene today I made the muffin recipe you posted only I used pecans instead of additional fruit. They were very very good!!! That recipe is a keeper. I had two of them, then I was reading on Miracleville that we shouldn't have more then 3 bread type servings a day because they are so high in fat and thought I definitely blew that already today! Actually I think I blow it allot of days, one of the reasons I am anxious to move to step 2 and back off the fatty foods I am consuming : (

Last edited by grac4; 03-24-2014 at 05:10 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

fat, smat. i dont agree with her at ALL about fat.
its what keeps u satisfied. its why step 1 was so hellish for me the first time i did it. i didnt even do low fat stuff but i didnt eat near the fat i do now purposely. love the complete satisfaction.
i know i wudnt want more than one a day of the flax mug muffins things tho. they sit very heavy in my stomach. but i think its the flax, which i already do 2T a day, ground in my shake or lemon water.
its why i like the almond or coconut flour instead.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #505
Senior LCF Member

You make me feel better about my day : ). Flax is not my favorite either but I don't notice it in small amounts like the recipe you posted for banana muffins. I do not like flax muffins, I always use almond flour for muffins. I do like coconut flour pancakes and waffles, they were yummy also.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #506
Senior LCF Member

you would think that just knowing how good we feel when we eat fat would override the nonsense spouted by the Veg Oil Industry which backed the promulgating of the lipid hypothesis on the american public and now fights the mounting evidence that fat, and animal fat at that, is GOOD.
we sometimes trust too much in science and not in common sense lol
i was a soy eating, low fatting veghead for a long time. i got huge from it and so did many many many many ppl. duh, Hélène.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #507
Senior LCF Member

I was starving on lowfat and not getting anywhere either. I couldn't understand it until I started eating fat and lost weight. Went against everything I ever believed and was taught. I sure don't miss being hungry all the time
Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #508
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bitterbuck
Is this WOE strictly for Pre-Diabetics or Diabetic folks? I'm going to check out these two books you all mention in the forum. Sounds like something I maybe able to follow.
Bitterbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #509
Senior LCF Member

Diane has a book Diabetes Miracle as well as Metabolism Miracle. I have read many good things for diabetic's using the plan so I am sure it would work for you as well!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

I am stocked up and ready for step 2 Friday morning. Funny as I was looking through the grocery store in preparation and checking some of the snacks I used previously it was a reminder on how my choices either were over on sugar or not enough fiber. To make my life easier I have yogurts for a quick breakfast or snack and of course some fruits. It will be nice to have a full serving of fruit. I really think this is going to cut my calories and fat even though were not suppose to count them! I also saw where some people mixed in Chia seeds when they cooked their oatmeal, I may try that as well. I love the chia pudding. Hoping all goes well and the weight drops : )