Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
that is true, Rubatron. I still feel better, except for this intermittment sick stuff this wk and last. I have waaaaaaaaaaaay more energy and i know im growing muscles in my legs from walking so much daily. I would go play outside if it werent negative 6 or something ridiculous still.
if i cud just NOT notice my OBESE stomach, maybe i'd be happier lol
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Hi, all. I haven't been around much because I have been so darn busy at work! I am project manager on a big construction and move project for my department. While construction kept me busy, the move part has been unbelievable! I was working long days and not sleeping well at night, but we are finally mostly settled in... I was just awful this weekend and ate off plan one meal Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I guess it was a combination of feeling deprived and stress. Anyhow, I decided that step 2 just isn't quite right for me, so I kind of combined it with step 2 of South Beach starting on Monday. I was terrified to step on the scale this morning--I had pizza Sunday night--but I have lost 2 pounds. I am still eating lower carbs but tons of veggies, good protein, and yogurt and fruit (heaven on earth) and I don't feel mad cravings yet. I have been splitting up the initial one-carb allowance to half a fruit serving and half a carb serving and it seems to be satisfying me so I don't go nuts. I had half an apple and it was magic, along with a quarter cup of brown rice with my stir fry veggies...so delicious. And SB allows beans!

If this continues to work for me I will stay on it to get rid of the pesky seven or eight pounds I must lose, and do another five if I can. I have also been looking at Haylie Pomroy's Fast Metabolism diet. Has anyone heard of it? You basically change up your food every two days to "trick" your metabolism. Lots of people have had good success with it and it is a very clean eating program. Bad part: no dairy (except almond/rice/coconut milk or cheese) for 28 days. It is also about resting the liver and adrenal system so it is sort of a hybrid program but I think it offers more variety. They say no coffee but then they allow for decaf, so I can survive!

Maybe MM isn't a good fit for me as I didn't have that much to lose? But I do feel good and I am in the habit of working out a lot more, so that is good result.

I am sorry everyone is having a rough week! So frustrating to follow things to a T and not get the results we want!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 03-05-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
Rubatron were not suppose to eat fat free at all, but low fat : ) Fat free has added sugar!!
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Oh my looks like were running in new directions!!! I read about the Fast Metabolism Diet and also found mixed results. I found recipes on pinterest for it and even considered it but then decided to stick with what I am doing. I check my list daily on "Rules To Thrive By" to make sure I am meeting my daily requirements. One thing helping me so much is a big protein shake with either fruit or pb2, it is so filling, low fat and I love it. I should just live on those everyday and get my protein, no fat and limited calories!!! : ) Yes it does look like a bad week for to many, my weight isn't budging up or down. I shouldn't be weighing yet but geez!! I am almost 5 weeks into Step one and nothing like the first time I did it and the weight melted off. Wonder what happened to me?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
I hope we can all continue to gather here and vent our frustrations and celebrate our victories! I really like Step 2 of MM and I think it will be a good maintenance tool for me, but for losing....I'm not so sure. I will continue to "play" around with my eating until I find the right formula. I know there has to be one!

I'll let you know how it's going and hope you will all do the same!
Lori_:) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #426
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
Thanks for the info, Grac4, I have been doing low-fat everything else I think, but had no idea we could not do fat free!

I had "full fat" creamer this morning in my coffee and I'm loving it.

Weighed myself last night after a soccer game and lost a pound. I was probably dehydrated....

Free lunch at work today, which should be a good thing, but I'm concerned about what I can/can not eat! Oh well, just 2 weeks, three days left on step 1! Although I'm still not planning on adding too many bready carbs in step 2. More fruits for sure.
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #427
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Ladies, even if I veer off the MM path I hope you will let me stay here and vent with you! This is a nice group of people.

I think that Helene hit the nail on the head when she said she had to put another "twist" on the plan for it to work for her. It makes sense that because we are all unique, our bodies are as well. Our metabolic rates, workout length and intensity, our basic genetics, our food preferences--all these things differ. So one size will probably not fit all. There are tons of diets out there that work for people, and if you ask 10 doctors you will get ten different recommendations. I think it's a process of trial and error, to see what not only works for you but what you can live with. I for one cannot ever give up fruit again for 8 weeks. To be honest, I am terrified of Step 2, it seems like WAY too many carbs for me: I know my body, and I cannot eat that much carb and still lose. I need to find that balance, so I keep experimenting.

I hope we all have a better week coming to us! Hang in there. Thanks to all for the support!
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, those paleo diets or atkins wont happen with me cuz fruit is just too necessary to me lol
4wks without it was too much :0
i think i am ready to do without grains and eat beans, starchy vegs and yogurt for my carbs, besides fruit 1-2x a day, even half a pc each time with other carb to make it 15-20g.
The cauliflower pizza is fine and im going to try a different grain-free crust too soon. Lettuce leaves are great for sandwiches/wraps. Salad works for under spag sauce, stir fries and I can use fried coleslaw mix, cauliflower "rice" or spag squash too. Im finding theres less & less reason to consider grains...until i weigh 125-130 anyway, which is a HECK of a long time lol
Old 03-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #429
Senior LCF Member

ok so i wonder if this is contributing to my "hungry days" as I put splenda in my brkfst shakes and lime/lemonades, coffees, teas, yogurts, ricotta puddings, etc. I use stevia also with it, but it just doesnt taste sweet enough till its bitter to me (I hate stevias taste and only use it from guilt) so i just cut the amt of splenda by putting in stevia also. the only thing i can eat with str8 stevia is yogurt, go figger lol
and yes, i've tried many different brands & the only one that doesnt make me *nauseated* is Stevia Plus. Even that wen i smell the open jar, i get a little nauseated. I cant use the green cut leaf stevia (the herb itself, just powdered), that DOES make me puke ~ick~
(this is from a forum I was lurking on):
<<maltodextrin...the main (98% or so) ingredient in Splenda. Those wonderful marketing folks told me that it "tastes like sugar because it's made from sugar."Gack! What sugar? Certainly not the friendly cane sugar I remember. Well, that's ok, right?, because it's sucralose. Uh, no...that's around 2% of what's in the bag. Worse, it's corn sugar and it causes a BIG spike in your blood sugar. It gets better...those "0"calories that they tell you actually work up to 96 or so a cup. WTH??? So, I'm mad. I've been puting 3 VERY large spoonfuls in each of my limeades and patting myself on the back for getting so much liquid in a day..because I don't just drink one glass. And it gets even better...I was using it for everything, including my cappuccinos, baking goodies, etc, etc. Yup, I bought the marketing schtick hook, line and sinker and I'm mad!
FWIW, I now use only stevia in liquid (water added, only) or dry (can't remember, but I sure as heck know it's not matodextrin in there!). And my ravenous food frenzies have disappeared.>>
Yes folks, each tsp of splenda is 2g carbs. there is 16tbsp in a cup, 48tsp in a cup=96g carbs in a cup of splenda. i would not call that a free food either! and the fact that the 98% of those carbs are from corn syrup ("maltodextrin") means it's super duper bad. One of the bad things corn syrup does is make u super hungry as it circumvents the ghrelin hormone response so u never get the leptin hormone put out; leptin says hey dummy, quit eating now!
SIGH

Last edited by Hélène; 03-06-2014 at 01:35 PM..
Old 03-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Oh my...live and learn I guess. I try not to eat artificial sweeteners much at all. My Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt has it, but that's the only place I come in contact with it. I drink my coffee black, don't drink anything else but water. I don't bake "goodies" as I find it easier to just not eat dessert type things. I'm more of a savory person. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Helene.

Our local ice cream shop has opened for the season!! ACK!!! I absolutely love their peanut butter milkshakes. The ice cream is low fat, but oh my...the sugar! I'm not kidding myself. I WILL be having a couple of them over the summer. There are some things that are just worth all the carbs!

Have a good evening!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #431
Senior LCF Member

Turnip Fries
3 pounds turnips, peeled
1-2 tablespoon coconut oil
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
Cut turnips into french-fry-sized sticks, about 1/3 by 4 inches. Place into a large bowl, and toss with the oil to coat. Place the Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, paprika, onion powder in a resealable plastic bag, and shake to mix. Place the oiled turnips into the bag, and shake until evenly coated with the spices. Spread out onto tinfoil lined, lightly greased, baking sheet. Bake at 425 until the outside is crispy, and the inside is tender, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per 1/4 recipe)
Tradidional Fries =26 net carbs
Turnip Fries = 8 net carbs
So for 3/4 of the entire recipe you would still have only the carbs of one svg of french fries!

Last edited by Hélène; 03-06-2014 at 03:29 PM..
Old 03-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #432
Senior LCF Member

so now ive discovered stevia glycerite. a glycerite is a type of tincture, like they do for herbs. stevia is an herb so makes sense. i have made glycerites, theyre not hard. anyway NOW brand makes a good one, i hear. I mite try that as its supposed to stop the bitterness completely! YAY
Old 03-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Helene I am pretty confident with all the items Diane checks for us and all her successful clients at her clinic she would know if splenda was a problem. People on MM use it all the time and continue with their success. I am going to keep using it until she would say different : )
Old 03-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #434
Senior LCF Member

yes i know diane approves it. just giving some more info on it, as even i did not connect that maltodextrin made up 98% of each tsp used and that it was from corn. like i knew all the facts but didnt connect them. the politically corrrect position on corn syrup is that ur body processes it like sugar so its as fine as sugar. this is an outright lie.
of course, like anything, take it or leave it
Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #435
Senior LCF Member

It will be interesting to see if by you eliminating splenda it makes a difference. That would be quite a breakthrough!!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #436
Senior LCF Member

i think the high(er) fat that i am about to do will the thing, but we'll see. i'll prob just quit eating protein as much & only eat fibrous vegs & keep fat where i am now. so it will be a bigger % of my diet that way. if i get hungry i'll lose the vegs for a while & up the protein sum till i'm losing well, steadily & 2lb per wk.
but maybe it wont work at all...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #437
Senior LCF Member

I am bringing positive vibes today. First I want to say Helene remember Lotus the gal you remember that was such a slow looser? Not sure how many years she has been on MM but I know it's been awhile and she had her ups and downs but she is also now wearing Skinny Jeans!!!!!! I should not be weighing but can't seem to help myself and I have finally dropped. Another encouraging sign to hang in there. It took weeks which is why Diane preaches not to weigh because it really does discourage us!!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #438
Senior LCF Member

well now, weighing can discourage. but i go more by clothes fitting, wat im seeing in the mirror, how i feel. then i confirm if im not or i am heading in right direction by the scale. i already know wen im stalled or losing lol
I AM SO GLAD FOR LOTUS! give her cyber hugs for me
i think i am back on step 1. on a side note, no grains for 2 days now and i feel better for sure. we'll see wat the next few days bring lol if i do a 10day clean up then go back to yogurt, beets, swt pot, beans and a little fruit it mite work for step 2!
Grac4 wat is the deal with turnips, do they have to be measured like tomatoes? i seem to remember something about them. i ate 2 whole turnips, as turnip fries, last nite. THEY WERE SO GOOD. i counted them as my 15g dam too lol
maybe im mixing up turnips with jícamas. im pretty sure jícama has to be measured.

Last edited by Hélène; 03-07-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #439
Senior LCF Member

Another disappointing weigh in. I am down 1/2 lb since Monday, but it's very discouraging to know I'm up 4 from the beginning of February. I think I will not weigh until April 1, if then. It just upsets me too much and starts me thinking I may as well not even try. I'm a member of MV, but I don't want to voice my concern there as the first thing they'll want is a food log and I don't keep one. I really don't want to start logging every freakin' morsel I eat, but I may have to to get a handle on things. I know I was doing Step 2 correctly as far as the carbs every 4-5 hrs go, but maybe I was overdoing the fat?

Anyway, I'll keep plugging along and try to stay away from the scale. It's hard to ignore the tight jeans however.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Lori I know a food log is a drag but it can also be a eye opener. It only takes a few seconds to jot something down. Sometimes I have realized I would have stacked had I not rechecked my time on something that was a counter I forgot. Most of the time I am good at all that but we all slip one in awhile and the slip of course counts. I figure this way, I take the time for others needs, I am worth making sure I am taking the time for my needs : ). For me Lori I always counted my carbs correctly in step two but it was the sugar grams that snuck up on me. They were above 5-6 or the second item I added to get to 11-20 put me past my sugar grams. Next time I will be on top of that for sure.

Helene Turnips are not a counter!!! Good news huh??

Last edited by grac4; 03-07-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #441
Senior LCF Member

grac4, i dont recall reading about these sugar grams u talk of, in MM. is that in the book? i thot it was just 2 grams of fiber she wanted for carbs to have.
glad to hear turnips arent a measured thing on Step 1. i guess i was just thinking about jícamas and 'maters. STILL i think 2 WHOLE turnips was not necessary... :0 they had made french fries here, homemade and deep frying them -- 3 days in a row (new fryer lol) and i must have been wanting fries without knowing it lol Mine were much better even with the slight turnip-y taste. to me they were delish! and not fried in yucky canola oil!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #442
Senior LCF Member

Helene I am not sure if it's in the book I know low impact carbs are and the 2 grams of fiber. That is another one I did not always get in my poor step 2 choices. If we go above the 6 grams of sugar and preferably only 5 grams per 11-20 choice it raises our blood sugar and puts us in hyper mode. That was the big thing I missed and really messed up my step 2. Even though in the back of my mind something told me the sugar was doing it. I have learned my lesson and it is the sugar grams that made me have to do a 8 week step one clean up. To many times of poor choices with the sugar : (
Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #443
Senior LCF Member

i have never heard this sugar grams thing. in fact i think diane says not to worry about sugar grams, they are meaningless, like sugar alcohols still raise ur blood level so count them as carbs. its the net carbs that matter. wish i had my BOOKS!
were u eating actual sugar, like table sugar/brown sugar or honey or maple syrup or high- fructose corn syrup like jelly or ketchup? or are u talking about the sugar grams in say, beets or milk?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #444
Senior LCF Member

What I recall, and perhaps it was from reading on the MV site, the 11-20 carb foods that we are allowed in Step 2 are supposed to fit the net carb cap(11-20) have at least 2 grams of fiber and not more than 6 grams of sugar, but Diane prefers 5 grams of sugar. Now this only applies to packaged products, not fruit or starchy veg. At least that was my take on it.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #445
Senior LCF Member

ahhh maybe the pkgd foods thing, i wud have skimmed over that as i dont eat anything pkgd really lol
ok, so if its not fruit, beans or starchy vegs, im good (altho i was doing just berries and grapefruit, rare peach or apple this last 2 wks, and will go back to that in 10 days as it looks like today im step 1 again, no problem)
thanx!

wat all do u guys eat thats lowcarb and pkgd? just bread things, like low carb wraps? i cant imagine much else truly 15g net carb pkgd things. oh, maybe yogurts?

Last edited by Hélène; 03-07-2014 at 12:10 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #446
Senior LCF Member

The only thing I eat is plain Cheerios, high fiber english muffins and the occasional Fiber One bar. Oh...and sometimes a few Triscuit crackers. I'm going to cut out all of those however and focus on fruits & veg for my carbs.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #447
Senior LCF Member

In step 1 the sugar is part of our carb count when we subtract but when we move on to step 2 on the site anyway it has been said many times. As a matter of fact Lotus tries to keep 5 grams of fat and 5 grams sugar and no more. I know Diane has made changes to the plan adding some foods and so on, maybe this is one of those changes. I do know when we go over the 5-6 sugar grams it spikes our levels in a negative way and that is my big lesson. I specifically asked the question and got my answer. This is why I was gaining weight back!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #448
Senior LCF Member

the only grain thing i will miss, not yet thankfully (YAY), is Ezekiel sprouted grain bread w/sesame seeds, toasted/eng muffins. I love toast!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #449
Senior LCF Member

Just as Lori said, the 5-6 grams of sugar on packaged foods, I was eating certain bars that took me over that and some other packaged foods that I thought kept me on plan until I found out other wise.
Lori it seems you sure eat low sugar and healthy choices you would think you would be losing steadily. Now me, To much fat I think. I am trying to deal with that!!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #450
Senior LCF Member

I eat lots of natural peanut butter. I'm trying to cut down on that item!

Plus, my Yoplait Greek 100 yogurt has too much sugar. I didn't think it would make that much difference, but I guess it does. I'll have to look at the yogurts and try to find a lower sugar one.