Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
WOW...where have I been? The last week has gotten away from me. Congrats to grac4! How is everyone doing?

I've had a good week...no blow ups. Worst thing today was I made fat bomb "candy" and just had to eat the crumbs that formed when I broke it into chunks. No carbs, but I really didn't need to eat all the bits and pieces.

One more week on Step 2 before I do a weigh in. I really don't think I've lost anything on Step 2, but I sure do feel good eating this way. I'll have to reevaluate what I want to do based on the weigh in results. No worries.

Hoping to get 4 days of boot camp in this week and as soon as this blasted snow and ice is gone, the husband and I will be back out working on our running.

Hope you've had a great weekend!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #362
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Lori, what in the world is a fat bomb, and what does it do? I've seen it here and there on the boards, but usually on something that is more Paleo...

I had a big slip last night. I ate one Girl Scout cookie. Oh, well, after 7 weeks of toeing the line, I'm not going to worry about it. I am back on track. I have to tell you, the sugar made me feel hung over this morning!

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. I'm going to try to finish out my eighth week, but now that I know I can front-load with some fruit before my workout, I think I might survive! It will even motivate me to work out every day!

SSG
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
i went on a 1st date last nite for coffee. i can do that as decaf with splenda and cream is perfect.
and then he wanted to take me for pizza SIGH i was trying not be high-cost as he paid completely ... didnt even get a salad.
i had to eat one pc as im not overwhelming anyone with my crazy health issues. then i ate the toppings off another pc. i knew that monday i'd be going on step 2 anyway so i wasnt killing myself over it.
weighed myself this morning (im a daily weigher) and no gain watsoever. nice.
and today--NO cravings! YAY
im with u Lori, the big difference in how i feel & even carry myself, makes up for the ridiculously, frustrating, maddening slow loss. i DO lose, it just takes waaaaaay too long IMO lol
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #364
Senior LCF Member

Yum....fat bombs! They are not really part of the MM plan as they are, well, all fat! I only eat a small piece when I need some chocolate. I melt 2 T each, butter, coconut oil, natural peanut butter & Hershey's cocoa. Stir it up, put a squirt of liquid Stevia and pour it in a glass container and freeze. Then I take a knife and break it into pieces. They end up thin, kind of like a Hershey bar in the container I use. I put the pieces in a baggie in the freezer and just grab one when I need a fix.

Helene, sounds like you did ok with your eating on your date. Hope you had fun! Enjoy Step 2! Here's to us SLOW losers!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #365
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
Lori I am glad you cleared up what a fat bomb was, I never heard of it before. I just have the dark chocolate and put peanut butter on it when I am craving the sweets!

Helene I was reading your first date and remembered my first date with my hubby at a chinese restaurant across from where I worked. I was so nervous I didn't have allot of appetite but I remember it like it was yesterday. Little could I have known where my life would go from there, wow it has been a whirlwind of changes!!

Thanks for the congrats girls, it's nice you can make a difference for people even through technology.

So here we all go, off to a new successful week on MM : )
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Gotta be honest, I am SO OVER Step 1. I cannot wait to move on to Step 2. I am so looking forward to some new options in my meal planning!

Last week was very, very hard. We had to put our 14-year-old dog (who we have had since he was a puppy) to sleep, and I really had no appetite that day. Then came Friday, when I was missing him and ate the Girl Scout Samoa. Sunday I stayed on track, but this week is going to be a madhouse. Thank goodness I am too busy at work to even eat, or I might be overloading on comfort carbs! That is the hardest part for me...carbs are such comfort food.

Hanging in there. Hope everyone is as well! Hélène, did you start Step 2? And Asra, how are you doing? Grac4, got all the ingredients and hope to make a pizza crust out of your bread recipe this week. I would love that!

Best to all...
SSG
Old 02-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #367
Senior LCF Member

Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time SSgirl. Sorry too about your furbaby. I know it's so, so hard to lose them.

Don't be too hard on yourself, do your best and you will get there!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Southside I really feel your pain on your dog I have been there and on my way again. I have a Yorkie, she will be 11 in April and has been on heart meds for years. Last September things got worse and they put her on more meds in addition to thyroid medication she has been on for years also. Her medications are $100 a month, I make her food to keep salt out and then she gets prescription science diet for renal health. If you saw her she looks young and healthy but she definitely has good and bad days, more good then bad fortunately but the vet says there is no way to know how much longer she has. I dread it, she is my baby . I am not strong in dealing with loss!

I made the pizza crust with the dough and I really liked. My hubby loves the bread but thought it was different as the pizza crust. I guess to each their own but I would definitely make it again. Isn't this your last week on step one anyhow?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #369
Senior LCF Member

I didnt start today on step 2 as my bld sugar was up 2day due to that pizza crust i think as Sun i was perfect. so im checking it again 2mrw and if its back good again i will do step 2. if not, ill give it another day and start Wed. regardless. i have been perfect all day again so tue would be day 3 of paying for the slip up if i need it.
oh well, it hasnt been bad. i just know soon i will be eatin my beans and fruit!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the kind comments about my pup. At 70 pounds, he made it to 14, and he stopped eating so we knew he was ready, but it was HARD.

Saved up my final 5x5 and had a half cup of blackberries and raspberries and they were so good! I totally forgot to take them with me before the gym, darn it, but I did enjoy them for dessert.

Grac4, this is my last week on Step 1 but I will still be looking for reasonable carbs that fall within the Step 2 guidelines, and regular pizza crust won't do it! So thank you! And I found Arrowhead Mills vital wheat gluten on clearance at my grocery for 99 cents, so now I have to make it

Hope everyone has a good week. I am just going to plow through this week and get through it!

SSG
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #371
Senior LCF Member

Hélène, I cannot wait to make myself some chili with beans! Even a few tablespoons...oh, my, I just can't wait!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #372
Senior LCF Member

Morning! 5AM and I just finished my coffee. I'll be leaving for boot camp in about 1/2 hr. I like to ease into my day. I can't just roll out of bed and go to the studio, I have to give myself time to properly wake up!

Eating has been right on track. I'm not finding it difficult to make sure I get my 11-20 grams of carb every 5 hrs. My body seems to expect it & lets me know when it's time!

Have a great day!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #373
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
SSGirl, I'm so sorry about your dog!!

Seems like everyone MM-wise is doing pretty good. I'm chugging along. I did cheat this weekend and had about 1/2 of a servings of mashed potatoes at a restaurant, plus some craft beer, so I will tack on another three days to my Step 1. I did feel rather gross later in the night, but at the moment it felt goooood. After a while though, it felt like a brick was in my stomach!

I have about three weeks and one day left! I don't think my eating plan is going to change too much on Step 2, I'm just planning on adding some fruit and some of the more starchy veggies at night. I think I'll also add English muffins for bkfast.

Lori, that fat bomb sounds like what I need! I eat that chocolate ricotta pudding recipe that's in the book way too much, it's starting to dull me.

Welcome Windy, and congrats grac4 on the member of the week!

I've been super tired lately for some reason, so it's been tough to workout!
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I was crashing last nite like i'd had a sugar rush -- WHICH I HADN'T. Weird enough.
Then this morning I was tired as I went out for my walk...after walking an hour, I was crash-y again. I had had 1/2c steel cut oats for brkfst (b4 my walk) and no more carbs.
Ok, now very weird. Eh, maybe a tired sickness is going 'round. Lord knows everyone around here is sick sick sick. But me. I am not getting sick

And my official supersonic loss after 4wks--4 AMAZING pounds! <thankyou, thankyou> rofl
i'll be beach-bikini-ready in about, oh, 4 yrs!!!!

Last edited by Hélène; 02-25-2014 at 10:06 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #375
Senior LCF Member

just had my second carb dam of the day, well had it a while ago lol...1c blueberries. seriously had trouble finishing them. 1/2c would have been fine with me lol
i am going to LIVE on step 2 FOREVER. so satiated. itll take me 4ever to lose all i want anyway, so its a good thing i enjoy it and dont crave or even want fake-"food". i wudnt have given up those berries for 3 snickers or 12 chocolate chip cookies, ha!
i rly have to keep this in mind months down the road wen i decide to eat junky fake food. it just has NOTHING on real, luscious food.

Last edited by Hélène; 02-25-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Rubatron. It was a hard day, and we still think we hear him tapping around the house! He was a very special boy. I do want another dog but it's going to be a while.

Hélène, I will NEVER be beach-bikini-ready again, and that's okay! I am totally over that. I just want my clothes to fit and to be comfortable in my skin, and to be able maintain that. That means about 135, and I'm about 8 pounds away, I think. Haven't weighed lately. Will do on Monday.

When I need a treat, I have been making myself a shake of almond milk, PB2 chocolate/peanut butter powder, and some ice. Blend that up and it's like a tasty shake, with only about 100 calories. Had it last night and it made a big difference in my ability to watch the husband eat his ice cream without screaming.

Funny how the carbs feel like a bomb in our stomachs after easing up on them!

SSG
Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #377
Senior LCF Member

ssg, i have had 5 children. my bikini days were over at age 20 rofl
BUT i want to have that body that i wudnt be ashamed of if i did wear a barely-there suit lol. i wudnt wear it but my man wud appreciate it in privacy
thats all i want, something i am happy with even if no one else cares lol
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #378
Senior LCF Member

I completely agree Helene. I feel so good on Step 2!! Like you, I'm a VERY slow loser. Life goes on, right? I have a good bit I'd like to lose, but my body will do what it wants. The boot camp workouts are changing my shape and for now I just have to focus on healthy eating(the MM way) and fitness.

SSgirl...that shake sounds so good! When you make yours tonight, make 1 for me and I'll be right over!

Take care everyone!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Im pretty sure the 3 bks dont talk about quinoa. Can u ask Diane if quinoa is considered a grass or seed and therefore a neutral food, Grac4? Ive been reading the thyroid solution diet (book) and he limits carbs but considers quinoa the ideal grain substitute, becuz its has a complete protein profile and is not rly a carb. not sure if Diane thinks it is or not.
THANK YOU.
he also always has beans as part of the diet as he thinks theyre so wonderful--a man after my own heart! lol i know theyre very high in carbs tho so i follow MMdiet and dont eat them during step 1 and only 1/2c portions on step 2. i think they should be mandatory tho for step 2 at least once daily. sooooo good for u!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #380
Senior LCF Member

C'mon by, Lori! I am in Scottsdale, AZ and you could thaw out for a while, sipping your shake while sitting by the pool!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #381
Senior LCF Member

Helene 1/2 cup cooked quinoa is fine on step 2 & 3. I looked it up in a search on MM and she didn't say if she considered it grass or seed, just that it is a 11-20 Choice. You read all types of different information on diets Helene, I would probably confuse myself! I noticed you were eating steal cut oats, did you know Bob's makes a scottish oatmeal where you can cook a 1/4 cup that makes into a nice portion and still be in 19 carbs. I really love it myself and much more filling then 1/2 cup cooked of other types.

Southside I have vanilla protein powder coming 0 carbs and cant wait to whip it up with the pb2 for a vanilla peanut butter shake. My order will probably be here Tuesday, it's my Amazon subscribe and save just wish it would get here earlier, I have baking supplies in the order as well. We have had such pretty days, no need for a sweater or anything today and tomorrow should be much the same. I have steaks in the refrigerator marinating and we are going to cook out on the grill. Just doesn't get any better then that for dinner in my book!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Ok, just the fact that it's not neutral means Diane doesn't consider it a seed or grass. As I am looking at it also--IMO Dr. Arem (Thyroid Solution Diet author) is not on the ball here with his opinion; and also that's just what it IS: his medical OPINION.
Every book I read, I have alot of background to interpret it with (incl college biology courses) and if I question something not sounding right based on what ALL I know, I find the answer from someone whom I generally trust and then make my decision.
I do love "steel cut" oats more than oatmeal from "rolled oats" or "oat flakes". Another name for steel cut is "Scottish" or "Irish Oats". All the names mean: cracked grain, like "bulgur" (cracked wheat) used for tabbouli. Not whole, hulled grain but partially ground. Mostly just halved, but it greatly reduces the cooking time, yet alot of the benefit of INTACT grains, like with traditional rice or quinoa is still present. Rolled oats, besides being steamed, lose that intact-ness. Yet rolled oats are much better than instant oats (besides being non-sweetened when you buy them). It's all a spectrum, you do what you can with what you know
Another example of this is that soaking your beans, nuts and seeds and grains greatly heightens the digestibility and absorbility of them. Besides greatly reducing any gut issues with them. This is because they are all SEEDS of a plant and as such have to be tough enough to make it through sowing and sprouting to become the plant. One thing they all contain is phytic acid (among other predatory inhibitors). Soaking in an acidic-liquid (water with yogurt or lemon juice added) neutralizes this and makes the nutrients available to our GI tract. Ancient all the way through recently decimated/present day cultures did this soaking on a universal basis. It may be way too much for the average person in the USA today to even consider but it's definitely an option also.
I find the steel cut oats to be more satisfying too but it may just be that I know theyre just a bit better for me than oatmeal from rolled oats. And of course I soak all our grains the last, almost, decade.
The great, overwhelming, general, consensus tho, unless ur reading an ADA bulletin (how unfortunate for diabetics!), is that carbs need to be WHOLE and in RESTRICTED portions -- at least till (if ever!) we get our "eating-eyes" back to normal consumption and increase our activity back to the normal levels of humankind for millenia (lots of physical labor--SWEAT lol). Beyond that you're just tweaking the concept

Last edited by Hélène; 02-25-2014 at 09:52 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Well after 2 days of Step 2 i am actually feeling that very full, brick in ur gut feeling lol Last nite I didnt want to eat my bedtime carb dam either. I was like, nah I've had enough thanx...i did of course, but it was a weird feeling, not wanting to have a nice carb!
Ive been sick today too and wudnt have eaten at all, but wen i eat the dams I feel hungry then. That and having to feed the kids. Having to make them meals always gets me to eat...wish I cud just feed me sometimes...then i'd eat very little ha!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #384
Senior LCF Member

I decided when I go back to step 2 I will have to eat my dams at meals, Helene like you said there were times I just didn't want to eat anymore food! I would try and keep grapes or something light for those times. Also eating right away in the morning was a hard one so maybe next time I better keep some yogurt for that. Do you eat during the night carb also? That was another tough one for me even though I know you don't have to but at times it bought me some time in the morning. My step two down fall, always worrying about eating!! I was also searching on the MM site and realized when you have your cheat meal on step 2 you must consume all your cheat food within the hour then go right back to plan. When we ate out I am not to sure I rushed my meal down in a hour. So much to remember, no wonder I am comfy on step 1 !!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 AM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Yes if u slip up, u have to do it in an hour. I never eat out so its not a "problem" for me lol I dont do the middle of the nite dam as i have insomnia so theres now way im waking up if im sleeping. i try to eat as late as possible so i have as long as possible in the a.m. Like 11pm eat, then release at 4am and eat again at 9am to prevent release. Even wen im up earlier im not an early eater either. Trying to eat that first hour is nigh to impossible to me. unless i got up at 10 lol.
ideally i want to eat at 10, go to bed, get up at 6am and then exercise and eat by 8am. reality usually rears its ugly head tho. oh well.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #386
Senior LCF Member

No middle of the night eating for me. I'm a good sleeper, thank goodness. I have got to rethink my bedtime carb dam however. I've been eating a bowl of plain cheerios with unsweetened almond milk with a glob of natural peanut butter in it. I know it sounds weird, but I'm a peanut butter lover. You get a bit of PB with eat spoonful of cereal...yum. Anyway, that is just TOO much to eat before bed. I'm going to switch to a small cup of apple sauce for nighttime. Much lighter. Maybe I'll have a bowl of cereal once in a while, but not every night. Do you have to have protein with your bedtime carb dam? Wondering if I'll have to eat something with my apple sauce?

Anyway, have a great Thursday!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
Metabolism Miracle Question

Could someone please tell me what they feel the difference is between MM and Atkins? I want to purchase the Kindle version of the book but before I do, I just want to be sure it's not the same diet. Thanks so much.
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #388
Senior LCF Member

I learned back about 15yrs ago to always eat protein or, barring that, fat with carbs. It slows digestion. It's like eating a whole fruit and not the juice, the fiber slows the digestion of that. So I never eat just a dam...its very rare for me. Diane does not require that however. You could just throw back some triscuits and be done with it. Easy to carry and quick to eat and light.
I have fruit at bedtime, w/cheese or small pc (1oz) meat. But yogurt (maybe with a 5x5 of fruit?) would be good. You get to eat 2 5x5s a day and not count those carbs. I had chocolate one nite too, a whole 15g worth at one time! I eat very dark chocolate so it was alot lol The dark chocolate is very high in fiber to boot.
Maybe even save some of ur dinner to eat at nite, so ur kinda hungry anyway?
Its just hard for me to eat when im not hungry so that bed dam has always been STRANGE to me. Im not a nite-eater. afternoons are my hard times if im having a hungry day. i just dont eat after dinner and am not rly even hungry at dinner. weird huh?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Atkins and MMDiet ARE different.
You're allowed many more carbs on MM in Step 1 (like Induction or Phase 1 of Atkins) You can't have breads, milk, fruit and such still, but u dont measure your greens or celery or cucumbers, etc. It's also quite low-fat as lowcarb diets go. She has a list of neutral foods you can eat such as nuts and seeds that you should eat carefully but indeed SHOULD eat. Not 1/2lb of cashews daily, but several handfuls throughout the day, yes.
Also, when you go on to Step 2 (like Phase 2 of Atkins) you add back in roughly 15g of carbs a meal, very specific types of carbs--wholegrains, beans, starchy vegs, whole fruits, milk, etc). Also you eat them 5 hours apart. This step is the key to being able to eat carbs and keep losing. You don't get bogged down like on Atkins and quit losing and have to go back to Induction repeatedly.
Some ppl do not seem to be able to lose unless they eat NO carbs and high fat instead as you can do on Atkins...in his extreme recommendations for hard cases. Even so, you could then switch to MMDiet Step 1 for the 8 wks before going on to Step 2.
That's another difference too. Step 1 of MM is EIGHT very long weeks, not 2 like Atkins. You rly rest your pancreas and your liver to some extent and condition yourself to eating appropriately b4 adding back limited, time-spaced carbs.
There is a Step 3 also, when youve lost all the wgt u want, where you add in a few more carbs daily. Not many tho. Unless you're a young, big male who exercises alot lol
Ppl with metab syndrome are never going to be eating candy, cookies, pizza and chips and drinking pop or teas or watever sugary drinks, with abandon and be healthy and slim.

Last edited by Hélène; 02-27-2014 at 06:36 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #390
Senior LCF Member

There is also a website Miracleville.com (I think), it's another service of the author, Diane Kress. It's where ppl on MMDiet have mutual support and Diane is available for questions. You have to pay however. She used to have a forum like this LowCarb Friends, with no money required, but closed it down