Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
Wheat gluten is neutral??? Oh, how awesome! It rly DOES help baked goods rise. If you're doing wheat...lol
Maybe I'll try some this week and see if I get cravings or wgt gain... it's been close to 4wks without wheat i think.
then again, i've lost so little, who'd know about that rofl
<sigh>
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #332
Senior LCF Member

I am definitely going to try that cabbage casserole, Lori! Love cabbage and love casseroles lol ncie to be able to throw stuff together and bake. So few things you can do that with that aren't carb HEAVY. It's the nature of a casserole tho, to be heavy on carbs and lite on meat and veg; it's a food stretcher for the financially-challenged!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
I think my body has fallen out of ketosis, which is the whole point of the first 8 weeks. I haven't had any cheats (beyond that four tortilla-chip day) and have been strict on the 5 carbs/5 hours rule. I can't be sure but I don't seem to be rushing to the restroom as often, and I don't have that weird taste in my mouth. Huh. Guess I'll just stay on plan and see what happens. In fact yesterday I totally blew off the pm 5x5 Who knows?
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
No worries SSgirl. You may just be having an off day. I remember my days of making a dash for the loo would come and go. I always knew when I was in fat burning mode!

Finished my Taco soup from last week for lunch today and will start on my cabbage casserole tomorrow. Tonight for dinner I had a pile of fresh Arugula topped with some of my beef/tomato/veggie mixture. I also had a glob of guacamole and a TB of sour cream on it....yummy. I like to buy Arugula because it keeps for a long time and doesn't get slimy like the spring mix has a tendency to do.

I spent a lot of time reading on Miracleville today. I was bored at work and needed some inspiration. I was reading old posts from a few years ago. I'm going to weigh myself on March 3rd and go from there. I have a feeling that I'm not losing and will have to start over with 8 wks on Step 1. I'm sticking to the plan, but just don't feel like I'm losing. I think I eat too much full fat cheese. I LOVE swiss cheese and eat a lot of it. I may have to revamp my diet and take that out if I'm not losing.

Enough of my rambling. Hope you've all had a great Monday!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #335
Senior LCF Member

u dont have to eat ANY of the 5x5s. it gets you in the timing-mode for ur 5hr carb dams tho. and u cant have any MORE than 5g in every 5hrs. but u could have ZERO and it wudnt matter at all.
i dont think she's trying to put u in ketosis. theres waaaaay to many "neutral" carbs allowed for that.
some ppl on atkins have to go on a fat-only diet to get into ketosis.
you can lose without being in ketosis, hence Step 2, which u stay on till u've LOST ALL the WGT you want to. u will not lose any more on step 1 than Step 2 if you look at the charts.
so relax.
you're doing fine. lose too much wgt and ur not doing the program rite. theres a section in MMDiet bk about it.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #336
Senior LCF Member

I do eat the 5x5s (I would really go off the rails without them) but I feel like I've been in ketosis. Maybe I'm just nuts. This 8-week gig is hard stuff! Cannot wait for Step 2. I feel like all I ever have to snack on is nuts, pickles, and olives. I'm tired of meat! Maybe I'll make some hardboiled eggs tonight--that would be different. I could even make a deviled egg out of that.

Lori, I feel your pain, because I LOVE cheese, but I have been buying the Finlandia reduced-fat swiss, and it's quite good (as is the Jarlsberg, my preference). I also eat the reduced-fat Laughing Cow stuff, and Sargento RF cheese sticks. Hang in there. Can you give it another week to see if you lose? It would be shame to go back to that 8 weeks of torture (says the woman who has two weeks to go...)

Thanks all! I'll look that up in my book, Hélène. I think I'm gonna try to turn Grac4's bread dough into pizza dough! Woo hoo, that would be some real variety! But I need to cut the recipe down a bit so I can make little individual pizzas. I don't need 12!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 02-17-2014 at 03:54 PM..
Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #337
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

I'm officially over the half-way point of step one. I ended up weighing myself yesterday, just because I figured it would be okay after one month, and I am sooo glad I did. I'm down 9 pounds! That was way beyond my expectations and proved to me that I'm on the right track and this is definitely working for me! I am now motivated to finish out the next month.

SSgirl, I know how you feel when you say you don't think you are losing any weight. I felt like that last week and did a cursory measurement of my waist and arms and the inches were basically the same as when I started. I think my weight is just coming off a little bit all over, but mainly around my hip bones, which seem like they have a little less padding. I'm sure you're losing more weight than you think!

I also went on a run yesterday that felt pretty good! Normally I'm huffing and puffing by the end, but not this time.

Made some delicious cut up chicken with lime juice, cilantro, green onion and some sour cream and put those in a low-carb tortilla for dinner the other night. So good! I also made the miracle potatoless soup (which is basically the same as mashed cauliflower, only with more chicken broth and some bacon and green onions), it was delicious.

One thing that I make at night to fill my sweet craving is her chocolate ricotta pudding. You just mix ricotta cheese with a little bit of sour cream, cocoa, baking Splenda and some vanilla, top with some whipped cream and it has almost a cheesecake-like taste/consistency. I probably make that too much, but without it, I'm sure I would go off the rails.

Oh, and I made the spaghetti squash "spaghetti" with tomato sauce, it was meh. I think next time I will just make the squash and put butter and garlic on it like you suggest, SSGirl. Have a great day everyone!!!
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Congrats, Rubatron! That is great!

I totally agree with your description of "meh" for spaghetti squash as an alternative to pasta. Just not the same! Don't forget a little parmesan cheese on the spaghetti squash. It is actually quite tasty that way.

I am fighting a cold and all the traditional things I use to help combat illness (like Sambucol syrup, Emergen-C, Airborne) have way too many carbs! Yikes! I did find a Sambucas spray that didn't have a lot of carbs, so I'm trying that. Beyond that it's hot lemon-ginger tea and Throat Coat. I am swamped at work and I really don't need to get sick right now!

Tonight I am going to make a nice hunk of swordfish and some steamed veggies. I am not feeling that hungry so it's not going to be hard to stay on plan today.

Hope everyone is having a good week. Onward!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #339
Senior LCF Member

I could never eat spaghetti again and be fine with the spag squash. isnt it funny how everyone is so different? yet i'd miss mac & cheese. i freakin LOOOOOVE that stuff. lasagna; i could use eggplant or zucc slices and be fine with no noodles in that too.
but i've been eating spaghetti and tacos and just about ANYthing i possibly can over salad instead of using carbs that i guess im just more used to it now...about 3 yrs now lol
someone said to me, ohhh theres hot, fresh, pumpkin bread, i bet its rly hard for u & u rly want some. i laughed--NO, doesnt bother me at all, but i'd kill for a cup of blueberries or some of those FANTASTIC beans i made today!
SIGH
step 2 coming next week for me, i think-----YEEEEEEAH i rly do lol
Old 02-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Hélène, you mean you don't want to stay on Step 1 for 8 weeks? Ha, I totally get that! Less than two weeks for me. I saved my last 5x5 today for 1/3 cup of blackberries and they were so freaking delicious! I really wanted soup today because I am feeling under the weather so I had a can of Progresso light chicken noodle but I strained it so irony had the broth. It was much richer than just chicken broth and my doggie enjoyed the veggies and noodles.

Super tired so I am having a hot bath and bed. Good night, all!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #341
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
How wonderful, everyone seems so much happier! I am surprised some of you don't care for the spaghetti squash, I absolutely love it!! I eat it often and it saves me from bad choices. Tonight I made a pecan cinnamon bread adding 3/4 cup of pecans and the cinnamon with the recipe I posted earlier and it was very good and came out so pretty. I sure wish I could post the pictures.

Lori I noticed you belong to miracleville also so you probably saw the pictures and Diane's post on my bread. If you have doubts about moving on to step 2 just ask Diane, Lord knows she is to the point and straight forward : )

Southside I am going to make the dough into a pizza as well in the next day or so. It is such good bread it should be a good pizza crust. Off to a shower and bed for me as well, Good night ladies

Last edited by grac4; 02-18-2014 at 10:05 PM..
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #342
Senior LCF Member

I have been on Step 2 since January, with a break while I was in San Fran. Then back on Step 1 for 10 days. I haven't weighed myself, but I know I haven't lost. I feel very bloated. I'm going to take a different track with my carbs. I'm going to eat fruit for my carbs and forget the wheat for the most part. I've been eating a cup of plain cheerios for my bedtime snack and it leaves me so full. I use almond milk so no extra carbs there. I think that bedtime snack is killing my weight loss efforts. I'm going to either buy some unsweetened applesauce or make some and use that for my carb dam most of the time. I have to get this weight loss started again. I've been staying at the 11-20 gr carb limit, but if anything, I feel like I've gained. I'll weigh on March 3rd and see where I'm at. I may have to revert to Step 1 and have a do over.

I've wasted a lot of time staying where I am. Time to move!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Grac4, your bread sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear how the pizza crust turns out.

Ladies, I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed that fruit last night. I cannot wait to get to Step 2. And Lori, you should not feel bad about adapting the plan to work for you. I don't think there is one perfect plan for everyone. I know wheat is hard for me, it makes me gain fast, but brown rice and quinoa in small amounts are fine. Weird, huh? Maybe I have a gluten sensitivity...lots of people with thyroid issues do.

This cold has been hard to deal with because I like to use a lot of homeopathic remedies but many of the syrups and drops have sugar in them, so the carbs are high. Drinking hot tea and taking some herbal supplements.

Hanging in and hope everyone else is, too!

SSG
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #344
Senior LCF Member

one good thing about step 1 --- u sooo appreciate fruit once u get to step 2. its like candy! try eating a dried fig or prune once u get there. one summer i did raw foods all summer and had like no carbs (no protein or milk either, but i digress lol). i ate a dried date and i have NEVER b4 or since tasted anything so delicious.
we train our taste buds. we can train them to enjoy GOOD carbs and be satisfied w/ moderate amounts. we can even get to where others pigging down sweets wont bother us. i've done it. right now i say, as much as i'd like that mississippi mud cake with homemade chocolate frosting and walnuts (im going into a diabetic coma just writing this :0 ) i WANT MY BODY BACK more. most of the time i dont need to say that to myself...last nite at a party i did lol
Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #345
Senior LCF Member

This is what I'm having for breakfast next Monday: (Step 2 recipe)

Peaches and Cream Omellette
5 eggs
2 pinches salt
dash of cinn
1/2 tsp Splenda
splash of vanilla
1/4 cup cream+splenda to taste
2 peaches or nectarines or 2c berries, diced
4-6T pecans, crushed
Whisk eggs thru vanilla together and pour onto greased hot skillet. Cook for a couple of minutes until the top of the mixture begins to bubble then cook for a minute until bottom is golden brown. Flip the omellette and cook until the other side is golden brown. Transfer to plate. Mix cream, peaches and pecans together and place half of the mixture onto one side of the omelet. Fold the omellette over to cover contents & divide onto 2 plates. Plate rest of fruit, divided. Serves 2.

I'm not even hungry and just thinking about fruit, fruit, FRUIT!!

Last edited by Hélène; 02-19-2014 at 01:25 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Lori, we don't get very many mess ups before it seems Diane sends us back to step one for a long clean up. I know I messed up to many times not to do a full clean up. I couldn't just start doing step 2 again the right way either, I just kept slowly gaining again. That's the reason I went back to step one. If you read on miracleville you will find many stories on others doing the same thing. This is my third time back to step one LOL. One day I will get it right!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #347
Senior LCF Member

I really don't think I've been having mess ups. Been eating my 11-20 gr of carbs at the appropriate times. Even the Cheerios before bed were in plan. They just made me feel too bloated and full. I'll see what my weigh in reveals in a week or so and then decide how to proceed.

I was in fat burning mode yesterday. I can always tell. I was running to the loo all day! It's been awhile since I've had a day like that. I went to the store and bought some fruit yesterday so I can use that for my carb grams. I also got some no sugar added applesauce that is perfect for a carb dam.

Time for some breakfast. Not sure what I want this morning. No boot camp for the next 2 days as the trainers are at a staff development conference. After yesterday's workout, I'm glad for a break...whew!

Have a good day everyone!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #348
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rubatron
WOE: Miracle Metabolism
Start Date: January 2014
I have a question regarding the vitamins that Diane says to take throughout this whole thing. Does everyone take them all? It just seems like a lot! I've taken multivitamins for a long while, along with vitamin C and fish oil, though I only used to take it once a day.

So with this program she says do the multivitamin, fish oil 2x a day, calcium 2x a day, vitamin B complex AND vitamin E. Plus I like adding vitamin C.

Does everyone take all these? I kind of want to cut back, maybe on the calcium and vitamin E. What do you guys think?
Rubatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Rubatron, I take 2 fish oil once a day, one liquid calcium capsule once a day, B complex once a day, biotin, zinc, and vitamin D (thyroid support), and a multivitamin. Now they are saying that supplemental vitamins may not work. Who knows?

Feeling so much better today. For breakfast I had a half-cup of cottage cheese with cinnamon and a sprinkle of almonds, and a splurge with my coffee: a pistachio Thinaddictive cookie. It's sort of like a thin biscotti. Really good with coffee and 3.5 g carbs.

Lunch is a salad with turkey, blue cheese, and a spicy ranch dressing. I have pulled pork in the crockpot (pork tenderloin) and have a sugar-free barbeque sauce to add--the family can just use regular.

Almost done with week 7--YAY!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #350
Senior LCF Member

I would take cod liver oil in place of Vit A & D and the EFAs in fish oil. Can't afford it and i'd give it to the kids first b4 buying it for me too lol I only buy a very high quality cod liver oil as the others arent worth taking IMO.
Calcium is one supplement I know is only 40% absorbed even with ideal gut conditions. So I don't depend on supplements, I eat cheese, yogurt as a fuel foward and then on Step 2 as a carb.
Vit C I also would take as a wholefood, not ascorbic acid. I like the acerola powder from NOW but there are better ones (without added ascorbic acid), just too pricey. The kids eat Vit C fruit daily. I use lemons and limes, juiced, in my water to which I add flaxseeds, fresh ground, also--another supplement I take from a food source. Binds excess estrogen so it leaves instead of affecting my body. Extra fiber is always good too lol
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Had to decrease my metformin today. I can have good blood sugars without it, if I eat very strictly. Even doing this almost 4 wks now, it's just recently I've been having hypoglycemia. Took my blood that long to clear out, amazing. Probably why I don't lose much at all on Step 1. For me, the fat burning part doesn't start for a good month lol
I mite be losing the last metformin pill soon. Yay. I hate taking pharmceuticals.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Rubatron I take everything and then some LOL. I have nails like spears, my hair has improved due to I am sure many parts of the program in addition to what I take. When I started this I decided the only way to know if it worked was to do it all the way or I couldn't judge it fairly. It did work so I continue as recommended, but that is just me.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #353
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: windymkctmh
Stats: 241/232/180
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Hi All - I'm new to the group. I did MM last year and did really well on phase 1 and then blew it in phase 2 and gained all my weight back. I had a hard time controlling the timing but I'll do better this time I re-started phase one last week and am doing great. I lost a lot of water weight that first week and I feel so much better.

I notice a lot of you talking about missing fruit. When you exercise you are supposed to "fuel forward" before working out. My book says "To fuel forward at the start of your high-intensity workout, take 15 grams of fast acting carb to fuel the upcoming 30 minutes of activity. Examples of 15 grams are 8 ozs Gatorade, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup natural applesauce, 1/2 cup juice." I usually use an orange for my fuel forward because I love oranges! I miss fruit so it helps motivate me to workout because I know I can have some. ***You take this carb before every 30 minute exercise (so if you exercise an hour you fuel forward at the beginning and again in the middle of your exercise routine). After your workout you have a high quality protein snack.

I look forward to chatting with all of you and celebrating our successes.
windymkctmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #354
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Windy, I blew it on phase two also but went back to step one before I did to much damage. Mostly because I feel better on step one and I am one of the few that really seem to enjoy it!! You are right about the fruit, you can have it to fuel forward before exercise and a great reminder for those missing their fruit. Hope the board is a help for you, good to have you here : )
Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

I dont have my book with me. If I am not on drugs for diabetes, what does she say about fueling fwd in Step 2? You dont have to, right, as your liver and muscles are filled back up with glycogen?
How about if I do more than 30 min exercise? Then I would fuel fwd at about the 30 min mark, no matter what, rite? And again in 30 min if doing more than that 1st hour?
Thanx!
I walk an hour in a.m. and will be starting intervals in next few wks (I also walk at nite, but just 30-40 min so I dont worry about that). I also will be lifting about 15 min when im done with a.m. walking. So I'm trying to figure out if I'll be fueling fwd or be fine with out it in Step 2.
I hate not having my bks!!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #356
Senior LCF Member

No fueling forward necessary in step two Helene : )
Old 02-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #357
Senior LCF Member

Okie dokie, thanx!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #358
Senior LCF Member

Well ladies all is quiet here on the board today so I thought I would share my surprise of the day. I am member of the week on Miracleville which was nice considering I didn't really know I contributed that much!! Nice day all the way around, hubby got the day off so it was a nice day out shopping and we went to my favorite restaurant. Oh how I had to fight off the fresh cornbread desire but I did, I had chicken, fish and a big salad that was so very good. I watched the hubby eat various fresh rolls, french fries, fried fish, pizza, chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies!!! How funny and no he is not heavy. He eats sparingly during the week and loads up on our days off. I guess it works for him, I just watched him and smiled.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #359
Senior LCF Member

i can watch someone eat all that. but fruit is just overwhelming me the last 2 days. horrible days. i am counting the hours till Monday a.m. just knowing monday all the carbs of fruit and beans im going to have...i have 3 days mapped out already wat im having every 5 hrs lol
i just rly hate step 1, even knowing its rly cleaning out my blood and healing up whole body. it continues on step 2 YAY
Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Grac4 on ur award in miracleville!