Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hélène
Stats: 5-4, 174#
WOE: Very High Veg Intake, High fat, No grains
I *am* cruel, huh SSG lol Tantalizing you with all that carb-feast in my post rofl
I have felt ur pain SSG, I have Sooner than you think you can relish velvety sweet potato on ur tongue and eat a whole sandwich if u want. You can have an entire plain yogurt cup with a 5x5 of fruit in it to boot!
It's coming
I think too, she makes it 8 wks so we don't DARE mess up and have to go back to Step 1 EVER EVER AGAIN rofl
Hélène is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grac4
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 1/31/14 restart step one
Wow Helene, you have been quite a busy girl on here!! I just assumed everyone on here is on MM. How did I get tired of the carbs? Well I was on step one for 7 months and my habits formed for step one meals. The first time I went to step 2 and the second time I still seemed to be preparing no countable carbs most of the time and I was full and had to eat a 11-20 and I just didn't want it. Then making dinners that included the 11-20 just seemed difficult because most things we would eat are over 11-20 in a meal. I really found it a pain except for breakfast where I had a english muffin and my fruit for snacks or as lunch. Actually I am not eating wheat anyway because what ever I make is almond or coconut flour into a bread or muffin. My loss this time around is very very slow, 2 weeks on step one and nothing like the first time on step one. I did read allot of good reviews on the wheat belly on amazon and even almost tried it but MM comes natural to me anymore so I just went with it and that for me also eliminated the wheat as long as I am on step one anyway. Curious how the wheat belly is working for you and do you find it easier or harder then MM?
grac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Wheat Belly is not a diet. It's more his take on what you can't eat. It fits very well with MM. He says to eat 1/2c portions of carbs and cut wheat completely. He gives no other real eating info besides eat meat, eggs, cheese, veggies and dont worrry about fat as Diana Schwarzbein recommends in her series of bks.
Fat Flush by Ann-Louise Gittleman also has 1/2c portions, and cuts out wheat, dairy and soy for at least 2 wks. Then you try adding stuff back in (not soy tho) and see how it goes. She's so close like so many but the TIMING is not there...the carb dams. She is very up on livercare tho. I take herbs on Step 1 to help my liver detox. I'm going to start researching fatty liver and see what herbs would help mend it, besides the moderated carbs approach and the herbs I'm already taking that are liver-lovin'.
I am on MM myself.
I lose about a pound a week on this. How much were you losing first time around? I lose no quicker nor no more on Step 1 than Step 2, so I much prefer Step 2 where I can have carbs. Once I'm all "rested up" on Step 1, I'm gone! lol
I think becuz I never start Step 1 wired on caffeine or drinking non-diet pop or other sugary drinks or munching down bags of chips, candy and cookies or with gut issues from wheat, soy or whatever, I don't get that POP! and drop alot of wgt the first week. Most ppl I know can lose 5-10 lbs the first week of any diet simply by switching to diet pop. Add in those with other food issues and you have some dramatic results. But for ppl who are just insulin resistant but who know how to eat otherwise, it's a loooooong, hard journey to really see any results.
I just telling myself, it's the healing INSIDE I don't see that will give me true health and the wgt will come off as an aside. All that fat, it's just gravy lol
Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Helene, I think you are fine mixing and matching. No one diet fits everyone and if you find something that works for you, that is nutritionally balanced, and that you can live with, who cares if it s all one or the other? I am also looking into the Fast Metabolism Diet, and it, too, avoids wheat. I am not a big person, I am currently 145 lbs and 5'5" and pretty fit, but I would like to drop another 10 pounds. The caveat? I m not willing to lose my hard-earned muscle. I am not a fan of Atkins, because I prefer a more balanced approach. I lost 50 lbs in my early 20s and kept it off until my thyroid went nutty ten years ago. After my surgery I gained 15 lbs and that is what I am constantly battling. I hope I find the right combo for me but you've gotta try on a lot of these til you find that perfect fit!
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and by the way, I have blood work done at least twice a year by an endocrinologist and my numbers are perfect. Low blood sugar, low triglycerides, low cholesterol, good balance of HDL vs LDL...the only issue I have is slightly high blood pressure, which is hereditary in my family but which I can control with diet and exercise if I drop below the magic number of 140. I am currently on a very low dose of bp meds but hope to get off of it soon!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 02-13-2014 at 08:31 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

The first time I went on MM I needed to loose 22 pounds, that was July of 2012. I met that goal and kept most of it off but back and forth on step two mess ups I now have 5 to loose and five more I would like to loose. Diane says it will be much slower because I don't have much to loose so just keep going until I get to my goal. I also think like Southside said, what ever works we are all different. I have met some amazing major loss stories on the miracleville site where I read back to their beginning and their struggles. Very inspiring to see them keep picking up and marching on as time passed. When I read the wheat belly reviews I thought, well I don't eat it anyway and my weight isn't flying off. Sure wish it would, but I am leaving the scale alone for awhile it just makes me upset! I have been eating allot of full fat items and thought maybe that is my problem but heck I don't know anymore.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
I wrote a long post early this morning and when I hit submit, I got the dreaded page not found error. ARGHH!!! Anyway, I'll recap here.

I had a very nice birthday dinner last night. I had mini crab cakes for an appetizer and I'm quite sure there was some kind of carby filler in them, but they were yummy. I had the chicken marsala with pasta, but I only ate a couple bites of the pasta...just didn't taste like anything special to me. Their veggie of the day was lettuce with hot bacon dressing which was VERY sweet, but I ate it cause it was yummy too! I brought 1/2 of my chicken home and will eat it this weekend. I really need to get to the market and stock up on some Step 2 carbs.

I've had a long boring day at work and I just want to go home! I'm making pork chops tonight and have to think about what to have with them.

Haven't been to boot camp for 2 days because of the stupid weather and I'm feeling sluggish as a result. I don't know why I can't make myself get on my treadmill......it just sits there mocking me.

Have a good weekend girls!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like a nice birthday, Lori. It's funny that the pasta didn't do much for you--I had a Hershey's kiss yesterday as a part of my pm 5x5 and it wasn't that great. Funny, huh?

I am hoping to hold out for the full eight weeks but I am not sure if I can make it. I may jump up a week to Step 2 just because I am getting really bored and frustrated, and I don't want to go on a crazy binge when change is just around the corner! But we'll see. I am really not that worried about resting my liver or pancreas much longer as I do not have any of the issues she notes with high blood sugar, cholesterol or triglycerides... Trying to hang in there, but a jump to Step 2 will be a much lesser evil than a pizza binge!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member

I agree SSgirl. Moving on to Step 2 early sounds like a good idea for you. You don't have that much to lose anyway, right? Adding a few carbs will make you feel better and still in control. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

pizza binge without the carbs! get a really yummy pizza, hold the pineapple, but just about anything else goes, and eat the toppings off it. just peel off the cheese and all onto ur plate. eat 2 or 3 of these. if u have to, eat one or 2 bites of the very end of a piece. voilá you've had, at most, a 5x5!
pizza is all about the toppings.
ps get pepperoni too lol
Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Lori, I would like to lose another 10 pounds from what I weighed at the doctor last week. I am trying to stay the course but I will see how the weekend unfolds.

I might have to do that, Helene. Right now pizza sounds amazing!!

Thank you all for your thoughts and support! I trust appreciate it!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

And thanks for putting up with my whining! I am a carb crab!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Helene is your weight loss as good with your full fat foods? It seems when I go to the store thats what I end up with in cheeses and creams.
Southside have you been weighing? Gosh it is so hard not to but was wondering if your progress is slow like mine since your not looking to loose allot either.
Tonight I smiled with our Valentines dinner we had at home because I made my first low carb bread and it was very very good! It is on food.com and made with Vital Wheat Gluten. I put it in my bread machine and had such a bread loving happy hubby. Now I can also have real toast in the morning with my breakfast, can't wait! Yes Helene this took me right off the wheat free eating. My hubby made steaks on the grill and they were so wonderful, best dinner in awhile. I felt like we were eating normal and the house smelled like fresh bread. How does it get better then that ladies? I was stuffed all night, 5 hours later I made a version of a cappuccino with 2 tbl pb2, 1/2 tbl cocoa, almond milk, cream and added some coffee. I so missed my cappuccino but no more this was very good. Next I am going to try a vanilla rooibos tea also made with cream and milk. Of course this will be tomorrow, I have been stuffed since we ate at 4pm. We do not eat with the crowds on any holiday we prefer a cozy day at home. Hope all you ladies had a Happy Valentines Day. Wish there was a way to post my food pictures, heck I can't get my own picture on here. Don't know why because the same pic I tried to put here is on my facebook and other places with no problem.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Grac4, I had to go to the doctor last week and they weighed me. Even though I didn't look when the nurse recorded it,the PA congratulated me on the loss. I was eight pounds lighter fully clothed, so I think I am losing at a faster pace than she suggests, but I am not eating high fat with the exception of almonds. I am also really aware of my calorie count because I am so conditioned to monitor it! The past few days I have tried to avoid doing that but it is hard. I try to be active every day, even if I don't get to the gym. I walk 10 minutes each way from my parking structure, over a steep bridge, and I also try to take the stairs to my fifth floor office. I can definitely tell I have lost, as my clothes are much looser.

I have a feeling this next 10 pounds will take forever.

Your bread sounds awesome! We went for Mexican food and I had a chicken fajita bowl with a little guacamole and sour cream. It was great!

Having a glass of red wine and relaxing with the man. Happy V-Day, all!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 02-14-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

I also make a yummy shake from almond milk, pb2 with chocolate, a little Splenda, and ice. Delicious and very satisfying!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Wow southside that is a great loss for about 6 weeks now? I really think I should try and pay attention to calories however one time Diane told me I wasn't eating enough. I need to get all lower fat cheese and stuff I think also because I am not losing like I did the first time. For me it is 2 weeks back on step one but I will see what happens. Your dinner choice was a good one and sounds delicious. Me and the hubby go out about once a week, maybe we should do Mexican for a change. We are still learning whats around here in Utah that we enjoy in restaurants, it is a very beautiful state. I love waking up to the mountains every morning. My favorite nuts are cashews and I think Costco has the best ever in all their nuts. Hang in there girl, you are doing awsome!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, lady. I thing Helene has the right idea...take what works from these plans and do what works for you. There is no magic bullet. We are all different. I know I can't lose if I don't cut carbs, but I am not sure I need to cut them for eight weeks. I will see how the weekend goes. I am going to try to stay on plan but no guarantees. I am only human! If I can't do it I'll hop onto Step 2 a little early.

That fajita bowl was awesome. I usually order a fajita burro and just leave the tortilla, but I told our waitress I was low carbing and she suggested this. It was terrific and filling.

Happy weekend, all! Let's keep on keeping on.

Last edited by Southside Girl; 02-14-2014 at 09:25 PM..
Old 02-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Whether or not someone eats wheat doesn't matter to me, just giving an option here lol
Hate to tell you but even tho wheat gluten is thought of as the protein part of wheat, it's got carbs ...yeah too many... 12 net per cup. not bad, but count it when ur eating the final good. I made some fake bread stuff a few wks ago and used it so i looked it up then.
SSG why u dont try giving urself a good "slip up" and then not tacking on the extra 3 days, unless u want to later? mite get u thru the last weeks. beware tho ur going to crave carbs for 2 or 3 days after ur "binge"...
The full fat does not matter, i still dont lose. I dont lose quickly enough for how fat i am and I dont lose any but MAYBE a lb a week. its ridiculous. so step 2 after a 4 or 5 wks step 1 will be my plan this time. may as well not be bored to death and unhappy if it dont matter.
the only reason im doing step 1 at all is becuz i know INSIDE me i am clearing out excess fat and sugar and the fat burning just kicks in AFTER that to show on the outside. patience, grasshopper, patience
Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

SSG we are here for you to whine to!
im a huge carb crab usually but this time i am greatly satiated. weird.
except yesterday. being V Day and also my period coming i think.
my hunger seems to be hugely hormonal, like cortisol, leptin/ghrelin, estrogen/progesterone hormones, not just insulin. i have no doubt i am leptin resistant besides insulin resistant. try overcoming ur brain saying ok, dummy i'll take WATEVER u put in ur mouth...just GO EAT! NOW! Because ur stop signal is not working correctly. ur brain doesnt get the signal to close the gate. its another reason why obese ppl can eat sooooo much food, all day, everyday. its not just insulin working incorrectly (having insulin resistance in check tho helps TREMENDOUSLY, dont get me wrong)
the good thing is, i noticed i was quickly full. for a moment anyway. usually i'd eat a whole watever, not just a few bites. the bad thing was, i kept feeling that hunger again, like 30-45 min later. so i finally gave in by evening and ate waaaay too much for the day. damn't.

Last edited by Hélène; 02-15-2014 at 07:08 AM..
Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

You know, Helene, I have thought about that! Just one meal that I can cheat with...but will that undo all the work I have done these past six weeks? Has anyone had a cheat day or a slip up in Step 1? I am in a good place this morning and think today will be fine.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Yes Helene I did count the carbs, anymore it comes as natural as breathing for anything that goes in my mouth. However a person could eat 1/3 a loaf and still be in their 5x5, I had one piece of bread the rest of the dinner was to good to fill up on bread lol. It is good you have knowledge from your studies that help you understand what is going on in your body. I don't have a clue other then I am hungry or not and more carbs more hunger lol!

Southside cheating does set us back three days and turns on the hunger and then of course is the rise in insulin and for me like many say the stuff we cheated on just isn't that good anymore and feel worse after. Maybe there may be something you know for sure would be worth it to you! If it were me I would wait it out but that is me, on the other hand you are having amazing success which must help you feel like pressing on your almost there!!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

I am going to go on as planned, at least for the next week. . I did have pizza today, but I only ate the top, no crust. Along with a salad it was good enough.

It is hot in Scottsdale today, 87 degrees, and I am having to bring out my spring clothes. Thank goodness I started this when I did, because I can a least get into them without looking like a sausage!

Have a nice weekend, all. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I need to remember this is a way to help reset my body's thermostat, so to speak, and not just about losing weight NOW. It is also about setting me up for future success and feeling great.

SSG
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Good for you Southside, whats a couple more weeks your almost there now. Look how good you feel getting on your clothes for spring!! Yes you are setting yourself up for the future and we will always have to stay disciplined in our efforts to succeed, after all this is a continuous program with steps to follow for a lifetime. Last night I made a Rooibos Latte like starbucks makes and it was so good. I am always searching for wonderful ideas I then change up a little to fit the program or my tastes. This morning I had a coconut bread I toasted with peanut butter for breakfast, very satisfying!

How do you like living in Arizona? The hubby and I considered moving there but I told him I just wasn't sure it seems it gets so so hot! With my husbands job we can move to any state and we are thinking maybe warmer climate. Utah is beautiful but I would love to be able to get outside more year round. Of course I hate moving so I am in no hurry, we have only been in Utah a year yesterday. I do love Spring, Summer and Fall here!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Good for you SSgirl! The next few weeks will fly by. I actually did 9 weeks on Step 1 just in case I had any slip ups that I didn't realize. You'll make it!!

I have a cabbage casserole in the oven right now. It's just something I threw together to have for lunches next week. Low carb for sure. It may be a 5 carb counter because of tomatoes, but that would be the only counter. I have lean ground beef, mushrooms, red pepper chunks, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes and a small can of diced tomatoes. I layered the shredded cabbage with the tomato/beef mixture plus some shredded cheese and have it baking for an hour in a covered dish. I'll have enough to freeze a dish for a later time. At least I'll get a few more veggies in my diet this week!

I've been so bad about my exercise lately. Today I finally got on my treadmill for 30 minutes. Better than nothing. Hoping to get to boot camp tomorrow morning. We have some more snow in the forecast this week, but hoping it doesn't cause boot camp to be canceled like it did last week.

Hope you've had a great weekend!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #325
Senior LCF Member

I just made a broccoli and chicken stir fry for dinner...it would be even better with just a couple tablespoons of quinoa or brown rice! Two more weeks, two more weeks...

I also made a creamy cauliflower soup for lunches this week. Just cauli, onion, and chicken broth. I still need to purée it and I will add a small amount of light sour cream and a sprinkle of bacon bits, green onion, and reduced fat cheddar. With a salad or half a sandwich on low carb bread, I will be happy!

Good for you on upping the veggies, Lori. I am a big vegetable eater so that is never an issue for me.

Grac4, I LOVE Arizona but I pretty much grew up here. The heat during the summer is hellish, I won't lie, but the rest of the year is amazing. We drive up to Flagstaff (2 hours) or to the Mogollon Rim (2 hours) during summer weekends to escape the heat. We also have an open invitation to visit our family in Oceanside, CA and we take advantage of that! To me the desert is beautiful, and there is NOTHING like an AZ sunset.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #326
Senior LCF Member

I just made a broccoli and chicken stir fry for dinner...it would be even better with just a couple tablespoons of quinoa or brown rice! Two more weeks, two more weeks...

I also made a creamy cauliflower soup for lunches this week. Just cauli, onion, and chicken broth. I still need to purée it and I will add a small amount of light sour cream and a sprinkle of bacon bits, green onion, and reduced fat cheddar. With a salad or half a sandwich on low carb bread, I will be happy!

Good for you on upping the veggies, Lori. I am a big vegetable eater so that is never an issue for me.

Grac4, I LOVE Arizona but I pretty much grew up here. The heat during the summer is hellish, I won't lie, but the rest of the year is amazing. We drive up to Flagstaff (2 hours) or to the Mogollon Rim (2 hours) during summer weekends to escape the heat. We also have an open invitation to visit our family in Oceanside, CA and we take advantage of that! To me the desert is beautiful, and there is NOTHING like an AZ sunset.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #327
Senior LCF Member

I will have to ask my husband the name of the town his job would be located. He talks about Arizona allot as a option. I did have a friend in Missouri that lived near the border and he loved it but said the crime now in that area was horrible and I don't remember the town he talked about either. He still talked about returning to Arizona though someday. I have a friend in Florida that loves it there as well.

Today was a baking day for me. I altered a recipe for bread I found and baked it for the second time today and it came out so wonderful! Then to top it off when Diane saw it in Miracleville she reposted it with my bread picture and said it was totally neutral! We don't count the carbs in Vital wheat gluten!! Then I made snickerdoodle cookies, also neutral. Of course we must remember the fat and high calorie foods Diane tell's us so not to eat it all even if it is neutral. Ladies the cookies are awesome. I am going to post the web site where I found them because this gal has some great ideas on her site!

Low Carb Luxury: A Complete Resource for the Low Carb Dieter.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Grac4, old you please post the bread recipe? Could I adapt it to be a pizza crust?

I bet your friend lived in either Nogales or Sierra Vista. I am in Scottsdale, which is basically a suburb of Phoenix. I have lived here for more than 40 years and though I was born in Chicago and lived there til I was 8, this is home. Though I do love to visit Chicago, and still have family there.

Thanks for the link to the recipes...I am going to check it out!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Neutral MM Bread

Okay I got a beautiful light bread with my changes!!
1/2 cup warm water
1 tbl Olive Oil
1/3 cup Ground Flax
1/4 cup Honeyville Almond Flour
3/4 cup Bob's Vital Wheat Gluten (may have to add another tbl or two)
2 teas Yeast
1/2 teas Salt
2 Eggs
2 tbl Splenda
I used my bread maker for the whole process and thought back to the days I made bread and the consistency the dough needed to be. I made many loaves of bread before MM so that was a help.
I put the 1/2 cup warm water in first and added the 2 teas yeast. I let it set about 5 min. I then added the oil, the sweetener and the eggs. I put the dry ingredients on top of that and started my machine. I used the 3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten to begin with and watched it mix. It seemed a little to wet so I shook some more of the Vital Wheat Gluten in and watched till it made a nice consistency, kind of wet but still made a loose ball, not dry. As soon as it started rising I knew it was a winner! It was oh so good warm with butter! It cut nice as well, I do believe this will be my regular recipe. Next time I will double it, maybe add some cinnamon and nuts or seeds : )

Remember Diane gave approval this is neutral for all steps not countable carbs in the Vital Wheat Gluten!!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Yes Southside, it was Sierra Vista he lived in. Since my husband started working for this company and we moved I no longer work. Sometimes it's hard because I am not at retirement age and after having such a busy demanding job for almost 27 years not working can be difficult. That's why I find and come up with recipes! I would love to be able to get out and do things year round though somewhere. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years which was nice but expensive.
I plan to make the dough for a pizza this week. I think I will add some garlic and italian seasoning to the mix. Not allot, just enough to add some flavor. I am also going to make a breakfast bread with it, add some nuts and cinnamon. I think it's a good base to change up for different things. I will let you know how things taste as I try them : )