Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
PEPPERONI

Found this & thought I would share it... I am thinking a good way to get our own preservative free pepperoni.

I am thinking any good quality mineral salt would work & I am wondering if I can do this with turkey.... Hmmm... have a lb of turkey thawed I could make 1/2.....decisions decisions if I made 1/2 I would have wished I had made 2 lbs or 3 or 4 or 5.... I think I might pass til the craving subsides! GOT TO QUIT THINKING!

Home made beef pepperoni

Ingredients

2 lbs lean ground beef
2 tsp liquid smoke flavoring
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp mustard seed
1 1/2 or 2 tsp crushed fennel seed (optional)
1 or 2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika or cayenne
1/2 tsp sugar
2 heaping tsp Morton's Tender Quick salt
How to make it

Mix seasonings and meat thoroughly (use your hands).
Cover with foil or cling film and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.
Preheat oven to 200F
Roll meat into two long logs.
Use your broiler pan, or place a rack on a pan that can drain, on a cookie sheet and place the rolls on the rack.
Bake at 200 degrees for 8 hours.
Rotate logs every 2 hours.
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Iam - Congrats on the size 12s! Last time I wore 12s I was in the 140s....16s are getting roomy on me...

This recipe looks a heck of a lot better than the processed stuff with the nitrates and fillers, etc. Let me know how it works out. I would like to give it a shot and get the recipe going later on this week and cook it on Saturday. Need a diversion snack for the hubby as he has been enjoying a lot of salami lately.....
LIVE_FREE_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

I dont have the beef or the mustard seed but I have dried mustard & excellent ground turkey (Harvestland brand from WM - it is local from here in KY & has no antiboitics etc but does not say organic - much better quality than Honeysuckle White) so I will give it a try tonight & let it cook late evening...I will just set my clock for every 2 hours to turn it...prolly potty break time anyway

Hummmmmm! Just noticed I cant cook it for 3 days... so I will just get the mustard seed when I go to town tomorrow & start it then... would rather have turkey than beef but I would think the process will still work.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-16-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stilldews
WOE: Keto Diet
Sorry I've been missing in action. Between gardening, visiting my Mom in the nursing home, plus picking up a lot of extra shifts at work, I've feel like I'm always on the run. For those of you that don't know me, I went from 198 to 145 in about 5 months on Dukan and have been in the consolidation phase about 3 months now. Not even following it 100% and it has been the easiest time I've ever had maintaining. My weight varies from 145 to 148 from day to day and I make sure to get on the scale almost everyday. For me avoiding anything with any type of added sugar and keeping away from all grains except the oat bran, seem to be the two big secrets to keeping the weight off. I do eat rice maybe a couple times a month and find that I can eat a starch more than once or twice a week and still do OK. I really enjoy black eyed peas and white beans. I allow myself a treat like a small dish of gelato maybe once a month, but don't really eat reward meals. I figure I'll save them for the occasional holiday or big family get to gathers, but otherwise am happy eating pretty much like the cruise phase of Dukan. I've also found I can eat small amounts of raw unsalted nuts, organic unsweetened coconut flakes, natural peanut butter with no sugar added and unsalted sunflower and sesame seeds, all without letting the eating monster out of it's cage. But one bite of anything with sugar or wheat in it and I have to fight temptation for the next 2 or 3 days. I'm learning to just think of sugar and wheat as being like Meth to me. Even though I think I'm cured of my addiction, even a little bite of that meth like sugar or wheat is dangerous for me and can set off craving. This is probably always going to be true, so I don't even think about going into the stablization phase.

Faithful, glad your family is getting settled in. Must be stressful but you seem to be handling the change well.

Last edited by stilldews; 07-17-2012 at 02:16 AM..
stilldews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 227/211.6/170.0
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: January 2012(1st) January 2014(2nd)
Good to see you stilldews!! I always like hearing from you & faithful about how the weight stays off with this. I really see it as a lifelong eating plan. I think anyone successful will have too.

This morning 169.4!!!

I'm just over the top excited to be losing again instead of re-losing the vacation weight! Wondering how long before I hit the 150's. Original true weight was 154 which is goal for now.....

Y'all have a great day!!!

Last edited by Paranoidsoutherner; 07-17-2012 at 04:14 AM..
Paranoidsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Susan glad to hear you are still doing so well! Give mom a hug from us here at LCF.

Paranoid KUTGW! You are under me now! WTG!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Susan - WOW that is so true about the sugar and the wheat unleashing the "monster"!! Thank you for the words of inspiration.

Paranoid - big YAY for you, great job!! Keep going!!!

OK, I did 5 days Attack, started last Tues and am now on the cruise phase. Down 5.4 lbs. Does one alternate every 5 days or every other day? I have about 30 lbs to go....

Dinner last night was some roast turkey breast, sauteed green beans w/cherry tomatoes and sauteed daikon radish & red onion....yum!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

I found alternating every other day the easiest. A day of PP is easier if you know you can have vegetables the next day. I think Dr Dukan is now saying that is the best way for most people. If something comes up and you need to do 2 PV days in a row, just follow them with 2 PP days. I ended up have more PV days than PP days most weeks, but almost always stayed with the lowest carb vegetables.

Last edited by stilldews; 07-17-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Hello. May I join this group? I have been eating all protein for the past couple days and plan to start Dukan tomorrow. Look forward to getting to know you all.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE_FREE_NH View Post
Susan - WOW that is so true about the sugar and the wheat unleashing the "monster"!! Thank you for the words of inspiration.

Paranoid - big YAY for you, great job!! Keep going!!!

OK, I did 5 days Attack, started last Tues and am now on the cruise phase. Down 5.4 lbs. Does one alternate every 5 days or every other day? I have about 30 lbs to go....

Dinner last night was some roast turkey breast, sauteed green beans w/cherry tomatoes and sauteed daikon radish & red onion....yum!

I do the every other day rotation. Then after a while I stated have some veggies on both weekend days. But I try to keep it to lunch.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iamMeekness View Post
Hello. May I join this group? I have been eating all protein for the past couple days and plan to start Dukan tomorrow. Look forward to getting to know you all.

Hope you see the same results we've all been seeing.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: obraxton
Stats: 260/189/142
WOE: bariatric sleeve/high protein-low sugar
Start Date: WLS/Sleeve/5-9-11
I want to join. I had weight loss surgery, but nothing for me is ever easy, I stalled at 200 from January to July 1st (with a trainer) and I've really had enough. Despite all the advice from medical and nutritionists, these type of plans are all that have worked for me in the year I've been post op. I'm currently 189 (finally after some hardcore back to basics), and I need to transition into a serious plan. I've been looking up Dunkan and found it to be actually the prototype of the plan I was conjuring up in my head anyway.
Mind if I join you ladies?
obraxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Thanks for the welcome

I hope this plan works just as well for me as it did for you all.

Dessa, Thanks for sharing the Dukan Diet information with me today.

We all can do this!!
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zanjabil
Stats: 215/195/145
WOE: Ketosis/ mostly carnivorous
Start Date: 8/12/13 (again)
Hey all!
I'd like to join this group too. I started the DD on 7/2/12. I did 7 days of attack
And now I'm on my 9th day of Cruise phase. Down 8lbs so far! That's the most I've ever lost In 2 wks on any diet, and I've tried many diets.

I'm glad I found this forum, again it's been over 2 years since I've been here.

Last edited by Zanjabil; 07-17-2012 at 07:39 PM..
Zanjabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone! Glad to see so many new ones joining up for the next half of this year!!!

I started dukan on January 1st of this year and I'm down 58.2 lbs now. It's amazing how the weight comes off. You'll soon discover it will change the way you think about food. I guess it's all the healthy eating!

New low today 168.8. That's about .5 lbs a day two days in a row. But what counts most is overall consistent loss. I have 14.8 to go for my calculated true weight according to the dukan website. That's crazy to even be able to say....just a few months go I was saying 50 more or 30 more.

Make the plan work fo you. Keep us posted on your progress!!!!

In 2012 I lost 60. In 2013 I found the majority of it again...now in 2014 I will fix it!

Last edited by Paranoidsoutherner; 07-18-2012 at 05:01 AM..
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Hi and welcome to Zanjabel, Obraxton and IamMeek! We have got a great group shaping up here, glad we are all on the same page doin' the Dukan!

Paranoid, YAY on your new low number, you are now on the downward momentum...woo hoo!

Well, 8 days done, today is Day 9. I have lost 6.2 lbs. I am really pleased. And I am REALLY liking this plan! Tomorrow I'll get back to the every-other-day rotation so at least I go one day without my beloved veggies!

I planned and packed all my food for today as I am at work, and am meeting up with a gal pal to go see the Mr. Mike movie after work. Here's the food:

B: 2 eggbeaters w/2 tbs oat bran
S: ff yogurt with herring
L: turkey burger, ff cottage cheese, cut up red bell peppers sauteed
S: leftover zucc and small piece of last night's fish
D: roast turkey in a salad w/balsamic

All righty then, take it one day at a time and be mindful of your goals!
Nancy
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iamMeekness View Post
& welcome to Zanjabel, Obraxton as well

Meakness looks like you are ALREADY on Dukan! You all will do so well!

Susan thanks for the input.... You & Paranoid are the real experts on Dukie... I am just a cheerleader

Nancy I think you found your woe that is working for you! You can do this... it is a very doable plan when traveling as well...works good for most restaurants as you can almost find eggs , pork, chicken, steak & vegies that you can order plain or grilled. You are doing so well! Hang in there!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 07-18-2012 at 07:28 AM..
Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obraxton View Post
I want to join. I had weight loss surgery, but nothing for me is ever easy, I stalled at 200 from January to July 1st (with a trainer) and I've really had enough. Despite all the advice from medical and nutritionists, these type of plans are all that have worked for me in the year I've been post op. I'm currently 189 (finally after some hardcore back to basics), and I need to transition into a serious plan. I've been looking up Dunkan and found it to be actually the prototype of the plan I was conjuring up in my head anyway.
Mind if I join you ladies?
Everyone has to find what is right for them. A WOE is not one size fits all! Dukie is definitely a way of eating for life! You will find what works best for you but stick with the plan & you will have the success everyone else is seeing...maybe faster or slower but results will be permanent as your "taste in food" changes permanently. You still will have to watch out for the "carb monster" (wish there was a character for him...maybe the looks most like him) but you will learn how to put in his place....out of your life!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanjabil View Post
Hey all!
I'd like to join this group too. I started the DD on 7/2/12. I did 7 days of attack
And now I'm on my 9th day of Cruise phase. Down 8lbs so far! That's the most I've ever lost In 2 wks on any diet, and I've tried many diets.

I'm glad I found this forum, again it's been over 2 years since I've been here.
you are doing so well

Keep coming here every day!

& I would like to invite all you newbies to come join us also in the Honey Badger Challenge. We post our Monday morning there on a spread sheet. Not everyone is a Dukanista but all are encouraging wonderful Badgers! Crazy Nasty Honey Badgers Getting Tough/3rd quarter
Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE_FREE_NH View Post
Hi and welcome to Zanjabel, Obraxton and IamMeek! We have got a great group shaping up here, glad we are all on the same page doin' the Dukan!

Paranoid, YAY on your new low number, you are now on the downward momentum...woo hoo!

Well, 8 days done, today is Day 9. I have lost 6.2 lbs. I am really pleased. And I am REALLY liking this plan! Tomorrow I'll get back to the every-other-day rotation so at least I go one day without my beloved veggies!

I planned and packed all my food for today as I am at work, and am meeting up with a gal pal to go see the Mr. Mike movie after work. Here's the food:

B: 2 eggbeaters w/2 tbs oat bran
S: ff yogurt with herring
L: turkey burger, ff cottage cheese, cut up red bell peppers sauteed
S: leftover zucc and small piece of last night's fish
D: roast turkey in a salad w/balsamic

All righty then, take it one day at a time and be mindful of your goals!
Nancy

Who would have thought to put S: ff yogurt with herring together?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

IamFaith - I use the Chobani FF plain greek yogurt, it seems very "sour cream" to me with its thick texture.

For the sweet side - takie the yogurt and sprinkling in a 1/2 tsp or so of sugar free jello, put the oat bran in that for brekkie.

And then last night's "dessert" fix, I did 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 ff ricotta, (1/3 cup of each) some stevia and some flavoring, stirred up good...oh yum, like eating the filling from a cannoli. So decadent, I was such a happy camper!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Welcome all you newbies! A couple sites I find helpful are the Dukan USA facebook site and dukaniitout for recipe ideas. One of the best things Dukan taught me is that fat free Greek yogurt does not stall me. It still one of the foods I eat everyday to maintain my weight. I like the plain Chobani the best, but others are good too. Just be sure to stick to the plain unflavored ones. I used the little indi. pkgs of crystal lite to flavor it. Wyler lemonaid sugarfree drink mix is also great. My favorite way to eat the oat bran is as a cereal. Mix your daily oat bran with 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 3/4 cup water, cinnamon and Splenda. Microwave 3 minutes. Adjust water to make it thicker or thinner. If constipation is a problem for you, try adding a couple TB of ground flax seed to the mix. I found it solved the problem and did not seem to slow down my weight lose at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zanjabil
Stats: 215/195/145
WOE: Ketosis/ mostly carnivorous
Start Date: 8/12/13 (again)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldews View Post
Welcome all you newbies! A couple sites I find helpful are the Dukan USA facebook site and dukaniitout for recipe ideas. One of the best things Dukan taught me is that fat free Greek yogurt does not stall me. It still one of the foods I eat everyday to maintain my weight. I like the plain Chobani the best, but others are good too. Just be sure to stick to the plain unflavored ones. I used the little indi. pkgs of crystal lite to flavor it. Wyler lemonaid sugarfree drink mix is also great. My favorite way to eat the oat bran is as a cereal. Mix your daily oat bran with 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 3/4 cup water, cinnamon and Splenda. Microwave 3 minutes. Adjust water to make it thicker or thinner. If constipation is a problem for you, try adding a couple TB of ground flax seed to the mix. I found it solved the problem and did not seem to slow down my weight lose at all.
Thanks for the tips stilldews that Dukanitout site is really nice
Zanjabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

OH! Thanks Susan! I forgot to tell the newbies about the "going" problem they might encounter til their body adjusts to all the protein.

So.... if a going problem occurrs try the ground flax seed, large doses of magnesium ~ maybe up to 3000 mg at night, or have some good dependable stool softeners or laxatives on hand... the liquid citrate is a sure thing if you are desperate..
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you all for the very warm welcome! It is so nice to be here, and thanks for the tips! Right now I'm finishing up the full liquid phase of my surgery again (a year later, I figured I needed to start from the beginning), which was protein shakes with heavy cream for calories but the nutritionist I trust scoffs at fruit and veggies to break fasts or cleanses, rather to use soft textured proteins and gradually move up. So, I think Saturday I'll be ready to begin. I think that this will continue my losses and I am very excited about finding this new WOE. Even the second phase of every other day alternating is exactly what I wrote down on my own. I'll take that as a blessing!
Any suggestions of what worked best for you during attack? I'm leaning on tilapia fish and eggs since they'll be a little easier on me. What do you think?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I hope this will be the answer to your problems Dessa. Are you able to eat dairy? The fat free Greek or other yogurt, cottage cheese and skin milk should be easy to tolerate if you can eat lactose. You might be someone who could also use the protein shakes on Attack even though Dr D does not recomend them. Just be sure to use one that is very low in carbs and fat. No cream. Maybe bake a big batch of chicken breasts too? Egg muffins with egg, a little bit of yogurt and some diced chicken are easy to make in muffin tins and have ready ahead of time. dukanitout should have some recipes for them. Congratulations on all the weight you've already lost and on having the determination to keep going. The Dukan diet really does teach you a life long way of eating by slowly reintroducing all the food you have to give up at first.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Remember the "going" problem might arise when you go pure protein...
Also, dont know as Susan suggested if you can do lactose...
Milk kefir grains eat the lactose in milk... & kefir is extremely good for the gut...
Check out the links in my signature & if you want grains FB me & I can give you a good source.
Hugs!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Just a little warning about the dukanitout recipes. The author does sometimes include some items that are not allowed by Dr Dukan. They are things like sugarfree pudding mix, lemon and lime juice and laughing cow cheese. They are used in very small amounts when you look at the number of servings per recipe. If this bothers you, just omit those recipes. There are still lots of good recipes on the site as well as a shopping list. The idea of "cheating" even in very small ways can throw some people. I don't consider any of her recipes to be cheating because of the tiny amt. of the foods. You just need to be able to understand that being able to have a TB of sugarfree pudding in 4 days worth of muffins is different than saying you can eat all the sugarfree pudding you want. If you add any of these recipes just watch how your body react to them and see if they seem to stall you for a few days.

Keep in mind too that when you first go from Attack to cruise, you may have a week or two of very slow loss. Just stick with it and keep trusting the plan. Overall, I lost around 10 pounds a month on the average. That may not sound like a lot, but over 4-5 months its add up to a big change in you appearance and the way you feel. I went from a size 2X or 22 to size 8-10 pants and medium tops.

If you haven't already, do read all of Dr Dukan's book and then review it again as you go through each phase. He has a recipe book out now too. Just be sure to buy the one that's for Americans and not the English one. I haven't read his life long plan book yet and should get it too.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, love your little fella. I forgot what kind you said he is...
Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldews View Post
I hope this will be the answer to your problems Dessa. Are you able to eat dairy? The fat free Greek or other yogurt, cottage cheese and skin milk should be easy to tolerate if you can eat lactose. You might be someone who could also use the protein shakes on Attack even though Dr D does not recomend them. Just be sure to use one that is very low in carbs and fat. No cream. Maybe bake a big batch of chicken breasts too? Egg muffins with egg, a little bit of yogurt and some diced chicken are easy to make in muffin tins and have ready ahead of time. dukanitout should have some recipes for them. Congratulations on all the weight you've already lost and on having the determination to keep going. The Dukan diet really does teach you a life long way of eating by slowly reintroducing all the food you have to give up at first.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm only using the cream now b/c of it just being liquids for the calories. I can't have protein shakes that has sugars or carbs. I went to my doctor today and basically said I have to find what works for me and go for it, but he's in agreement that I need to stay as far away from carbs as possible, I'm way too sensitive.

I want to try the egg muffins, they sound good, so I'll look them up, I've always seen people try them on the boards. I love scrambled eggs with Accent, cooked in my little non stick pan. I purchased skinless chicken breasts, eggs, no filler turkey and lean beef patties, as well as my favorite protein, tilapia yesterday. Along with the Fage 0% yogurt. I love water so I have plenty of that. I'm reading different things about the oat bran and the attack phase, is it in or out?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much!