Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Dr. Richard Mackarness and Clinical Ecology.

Some of us have found that eating VLC, very high fat, and being at maintenance weight for years has not solved all our health challenges.

We had hoped that by eliminating further foodstuffs, such as: nuts and seeds and their oils, nightshades, FODMAPs, high oxalates, high goitrogens, high salicylates, etc. (as well as the usual LC standards of no grains, no sweets, no fruits, no starches), that the allergies or pains, etc., would disappear.

A non-industrial diet means no additives, no preservatives, no artificial flavors or sweeteners, etc.

Elimination diets, testing foods from commercial sources, as well as organic, grass-fed, testing supplements, etc., has led to avoiding such industrial products as food in cans. Also, limiting exposure to chemicals, fluorescent lights, EMFs, plastics, etc., means marked improvements in health and well-being.

For some people, it means making all meals themselves, not eating out, making sure that all food is stored in glass or stainless steel or ceramic, growing one's own vegetables and herbs, and the meat and dairy must be grass-fed and organic, etc.

----

Dr. Richard Mackarness' books are a great help to me, and I thought it might be of help to others to post some quote and thoughts about his work.

His first book, Eat Fat and Grow Slim, 1958, made great headway in urging people to avoid grains, sugars and starches, to eat 80% fat and 20% protein. (That link is to a post here at LCF which gives two edition online of that first book, as well as a link to William Banting's "Letter on Corpulence".)

The revised edition, of 1975, is more of a treatise on the state of the Western diet, and why it is vital to eat non-industrial foods, in addition to avoiding the grains, sweets, and starches.

Here is the closing paragraph from the 1975 book. I have made it into two paragraphs so it is easier to read, and added the bold type:

From a short monograph on obesity, published in 1958, this book has evolved into a study of our Western way of eating. And as a spin-off has enabled me to take a new look at psychiatry in relation to diet and to show that many chronic mental patients can be rehabilitated without drugs, electric shocks or operations on the brain, simply by eliminating new, chemically-adulterated foods from their diets.

The mind and body are one and the mind is really the manifestation of the physical brain in action. If wrong food can make people fat and rot their teeth, why should it not, in some susceptible people, injure their brains as well and make them appear mad?

His book, Not All in the Mind, first published in Britain, and the next year in the US as Hidden Allergies, addresses allergies, addictions, industrial foods, the various facets of clinical ecology.

In both the revised edition of Eat Fat and Grow Slim, and Not All in the Mind, he writes of his visits with such luminaries as Dr. Blake Donaldson, Dr. Alfred Pennington, Dr. Theron Randolph, and Dr. George Thorpe.

----

Dr. Blake Donaldson's work with those with serious illnesses who recovered eating meat and fat in most inspiring. His book, Strong Medicine, can be read online.

Dr. Theron Randolph's work with allergies and addictions was tremendous. Here is a very short explanation of part of his work, explaining the addiction pyramid.

It is telling that the safest food to eat is fat.

----

Here is Stefansson's, The Fat of the Land, for much enjoyable reading.

Will post more from Dr. Mac and others as I can.

Best thoughts and wishes to those who find that VLC, ultra high fat, and staying at maintenance weight have not been enough.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

A few gems from Dr. Mac's Not All in the Mind, 1976:

Chapter one:

Professor Selye defines stress as the struggle to adapt to a noxious agent.

Chapter six:

Specific allergic adaptation to foods and chemicals is an addiction as devastating as addiction to tobacco or drugs.

Chapter eight:

In my experience, main offenders, besides cereals and sugars, are instant coffee, tea, chocolate, eggs, milk and processed foods.

Chapter nine:

An important point to remember is that anyone with an allergic background is potentially allergic to anything. (Emphasis in book.)

From the opening page of chapter nine:

We are not infinitely adaptable animals, and there is mounting evidence that many of us have already adapted as much as we can to today's increasingly sophisticated and chemically contaminated diet. It is time to call a halt to this appallingly risky experiment in human nutrition and look again at the relationship between the food we eat and the changing pattern of disease in industrialized countries.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 06-27-2012 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: corrected typeface
Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Here is an interesting article on Orthomolecular Psychiatry, using the elimination diet of Drs. Randolph, Rinkel and Rowe, and deliberate testing of foods, for emotional reactions.

I apologize for the defective link in the first post on Dr. Randolph's elimination diets. I can't put a new link in that first post, but the above link will suffice as an explanation of the diet.

Allergies and Dyslexia. Also explains about the elimination diet. That link is one of many at the online library of Orthomolecular Medicine. Many hours of happy reading ahead....

Another from that online library:

Psychiatric Syndromes caused by allergies

The Environmental Aspects of Cardiovascular Disease

Time for fresh air and sunshine. Will post more as I can.

Best wishes to all.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 07-05-2012 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: added information
Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I have more books from Dr. Mackarness, and will post as I note things.

If someone is ordering books of his, there are several books which were published under a different title in the US, from the title in the UK. I ended up with duplicates again. Along with Not All in the Mind (UK) being Hidden Allergies (USA), the book Chemical Victims (UK) is called Living Safely in a Polluted World (USA).

He explains what he calls a Stone-Age Diet in all of these books, as well as how to recognize symptoms of allergies to foods, environmental factors, and how to pinpoint the triggers, how to alleviate symptoms, how to avoid the triggers, etc.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Two quotes that have stayed with me:

From Dr. Mackarness, in Eat Fat and Grow Slim, first American edition, page 100:

Necessities do not call for comment until they become scarce.

And from Dr. Blake Donaldson, in Strong Medicine, page 74:

Everyone has an obligation to keep as young as possible. That implies useful work no matter how humble, and some serenity of mind, and normal weight, and daily outdoor exercise, and enough amino acids in fresh fat meat to do a good job of repair on breaking-down arteries.

And that is a big order. If it can be fulfilled a lot of other things can safely be left to nature. She was practicing medicine a long time before anyone heard of physicians.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I finally bought a copy of Barry Groves' Trick and Treat. I'm so glad I did. It's enjoyable reading and full of bits of things that I haven't run across elsewhere.

Here's one I especially liked:

Starting on page 245, at the bottom of the page. The section is called, Sodium benzoate, mitochondria and cancer.

The Independent on Sunday reported a new health scare over evidence that soft drinks might cause serious cell damage...

Professor Peter Piper, a Professor of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, and an expert on ageing [British spelling] at Sheffield University had been working for ten years on sodium benzoate (E211), a preservative used for decades....

The dangers lay, he thought, in the ability of sodium benzoate to switch off vital parts of DNA in the mitochondria to the point that it might totally inactivate them...

Professor Piper stated, "The mitochondria consume oxygen to give you energy and if you damage them -- as happens in a number of diseased states -- then the cell starts to malfunction very seriously. And there is a whole array of diseases that are now being tied to damage to this DNA: Parkinson's and quite a lot of neuro-degenerative diseases, but avoe all the whole precoess of ageing."

Barry Groves goes on to address how having the mitochondria shut down makes "cancer cells immortal and confers resistance to radiation and chemotherapy".

At Dr. Groves' website, Second Opinions, he writes more about the problems of sodium benzoate, including this:

Sodium benzoate in other foods

Sodium Benzoate is found in a very wide range of foods & drinks: bakery products, pizzas, marinated herring, yoghurt, cheese, low fat spreads, blue cheese dressing, fruit products, jams, figs, nut paste, pickles and sauces (e.g. horseradish), salad cream, sweets, candied peel, glace fruit, gelatin, desserts ipings & fillings, milk shake syrups, fruit ice-cream. Also beer, cider, wine, perry, ginger ale, ginger beer, shandy, tonic water, barley water, fruit squashes, colas (other than Coca Cola), glucose drinks, cherryade, sparkling canned drinks, soda stream concentrates, frozen fruit juices. It is also frequently used to preserve other additives, flavourings, colourings, anti-foaming agents, artificial sweeteners. In these case it is not necessarily declared on the packaging

I highly recommend Trick and Treat. This is just a sample of the excellent reporting in the book.

Best wishes to all for the best of health.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 10-02-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: typeface error
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not sure if this belongs in a thread on allergies and clinical ecology, but as migraines are a complex phenomenon, and have many contributing factors, here goes.

This is an interesting paper on migraines and epilepsy.

I found it most fascinating and well worth the effort to read it.

ETA: After that bad news about sodium benzoate destroying mitochondria, here is some good news. Ketogenic diets improve mitochondrial function. Here is the report.

...In ketosis, less glutamate is metabolized and more becomes available to the glutamate decarboxylase
reaction for the purpose of GABA synthesis.

How might ketosis cause these changes?

We and others found that ketosis activates
mitochondrial metabolism and flux through the tricarboxylic acid cycle.

(Melo et al, 2006; Yudkoff et al, 2005; 2006)....

Emphasis added.

Here's to ketogenic diets!

Last edited by Auntie Em; 10-02-2012 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: added link