Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pennylovesdarren
WOE: WW points plus
Start Date: March 16, 2012
You can do it Rotay! Lc/WW will be great

I had a good WI today. I'm was down 2.8lbs., my best WI since the early weeks. I got my 10% key chain and a 16 weeks of going to meetings charm! It was all very encouraging.
pennylovesdarren is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hockeymom
Stats: 151/130/120
WOE: LC/WW
Start Date: Start ww 2/6/12 (original lc 2009)
Rotay - we're here for you - let us know how it works out. I try to keep it low carb which means I don't eat wheat,oats,sugars,snacks. if I have cheese - I try to keep it low fat (never fatfree-yuck). I have been able to be successful because of the fruits/veggies. I think you have to find what works long term for you. For me - I think this is it. I work with people on the plan that are just eatting their points - junk food, ice cream, etc ---it's not healthy and they also aren't losing weight that fast either. You'll find your fit - just keep at it.

Penny-great great job on your loss. I also got my charm/key chain -- ah...cool...wow...

Well - went to dinner with my family - I was careful but I did go over my points by a few. That's ok - I only used 3 weekly points and I got 7 activity points today. Tomorrow I'm going to have a busy day .... hoping for good food choices and activity points. Really want to get to my goal I set for myself for the end of June...

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Penny and Hockeymom, thanks for the encouragement and congratulations on all of your successes. This plan definitely seems to be working for you. I am so happy that you have found your niche.
rotay60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

So excited - got to tell everyone - I just went to my first Zumba class. No excuses - no 'I'll do it another day' - no 'I'll buy the video and do it at home'. I was sweating so much and loving every minute of it. I loved it!!! I can't find how to deterimine how many activity points that would be - it's not on the WW site (I find that site so annoying sometimes). So - 1 hour of zumba - is that equal to 1 hour of jazzercise? Any help?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Love Zumba. I usually count mine as salsa dancing for 50 minutes, earning 2 points rather than 3 for jazzercise.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Glad you enjoyed your Zumba class.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
Rotay - we're here for you - let us know how it works out. I try to keep it low carb which means I don't eat wheat,oats,sugars,snacks. if I have cheese - I try to keep it low fat (never fatfree-yuck). I have been able to be successful because of the fruits/veggies. I think you have to find what works long term for you. For me - I think this is it. I work with people on the plan that are just eatting their points - junk food, ice cream, etc ---it's not healthy and they also aren't losing weight that fast either. You'll find your fit - just keep at it.

Penny-great great job on your loss. I also got my charm/key chain -- ah...cool...wow...

Well - went to dinner with my family - I was careful but I did go over my points by a few. That's ok - I only used 3 weekly points and I got 7 activity points today. Tomorrow I'm going to have a busy day .... hoping for good food choices and activity points. Really want to get to my goal I set for myself for the end of June...

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Thanks! You're doing so awesome earning all those activity points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
So excited - got to tell everyone - I just went to my first Zumba class. No excuses - no 'I'll do it another day' - no 'I'll buy the video and do it at home'. I was sweating so much and loving every minute of it. I loved it!!! I can't find how to deterimine how many activity points that would be - it's not on the WW site (I find that site so annoying sometimes). So - 1 hour of zumba - is that equal to 1 hour of jazzercise? Any help?
I would imagine for 60 minutes you'd earn 3! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Here's to housework as my activity for today boo!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lavajane
Stats: 255/198.6/140 5'6"
WOE: hcg drops
Start Date: july 2012
Hi Guys- after 4 months on straight LC i have lost a total of 18 pounds. the last coulpe months I've had week long cheats that have ruined all the effort of the other 3 weeks. So instead of just chucking it all and eating til I explode I decided to adjust some things for summer. I am going to go back to ww but keep it on the lc side like alot of you here. I know that flour and sugar are my enemies and I really want to stay away from them but I need a little more freedom and I think the hi fat is not doing for me what it does for others. Glad I found this thread cuz I love posting on LCf .
(mini goal 9/1-185
(mini goal 10/1-175)
(mini goal 11/1-165)
(Mini goal12/1- 155)
New years goal 145!
lavajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome LavaJane! I think you'll see great success with the combo LC & WW. I limit my carbs but I definitely eat them when I want. I feel great eating this way and I'm losing weight. Not super fast but I've lost weight super fast before and guess what? Ta dah! Here I am again! This time my motto is "it's not a race, make it livable, and slow & steady!"
Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiRoGe88
Start Date: June 2012
I am finishing my first week on WW. I have neither loss weight, nor gained it. I am not discouraged though. I think there are few factors working against me, I am coming from more of a LC diet, and it is that TOM.

I am getting better with the plan, eating all my points, and following the Good Health Guidelines.

I am going to stick with it, and try to increase my activity points this week.
LiRoGe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiRoGe88 View Post
I am finishing my first week on WW. I have neither loss weight, nor gained it. I am not discouraged though. I think there are few factors working against me, I am coming from more of a LC diet, and it is that TOM.

I am getting better with the plan, eating all my points, and following the Good Health Guidelines.

I am going to stick with it, and try to increase my activity points this week.
Do not get discouraged. It takes a little time. I lost my first week but a lot of my coworkers didn't lose until their 3rd week. They lost every week after that. So, keep on doing what you're doing. Key for me - drinking that darn water. I'm used to it now but boy -- that was an adjustment. It really helps me. Also, a few days before weigh-in I limit my salt - that messed me up for a few weeks. I was eating the 0-pt mexican soup for lunch and because it's broth-based (and high sodium) I had issues. So, just be careful before weigh-in.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Hockeymom, you are so close to goal. Yay!!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Thank you hockeymom. I am going to stay with it. Because I have not lost weight my Mom is worried I may have a thyroid issue, but right now I am not worried. I will keep on WW and if I don't see results by my annual check up (end of July) then I will talk to him then about thyroid and etc.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lavajane
Stats: 255/198.6/140 5'6"
WOE: hcg drops
Start Date: july 2012
Penny, thanks for the encouragement. I'm off of work for a week and am officially starting LCWW in the morning. Glad I kept my WW books! I'm doing it on my own (well- I'll have ya'll-right?) as we are currently a one paycheck household and I just can't budget in another $40/month for meetings. I'm also going to work in some exercise while I got some extra time (hopefully I will feel sooo good from exercising that i will fit it in to my "suck the life out of you" work week....hmmmm guess it was definitely time for vacation!) See ya'll tomorrow!
lavajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

One reason I WWPP+............steel cut oats w/cut up pineapple, mango, and nectarine! YUM!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Zumba again -- I love it -- it's not close to my close so that's a problem so I need to find a place closer to my house. fun -- it's fun!!! It's about time I get back to exercise - it's been way way way too long. No more excuses - just doing it now.

Penny - I'm with you - I LOVE steel cut oats -- try not to eat them often because of the carbs but ... it's so yummy and I stay full most of the day if I eat them.

Hoping for a good weigh-in this Thursday. I hope everyone is having a good week - everyone is pretty quiet...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

I just bought a thing of steel cut oats. I would like to try the crock pot recipe for them with apples.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Hockeymom- glad you are enjoying your Zumba. They are popping up everywhere, so hopefully you will find one close to your house. Good luck on your weigh in, you are soooooo close.

I'm doing more l/c now, because I felt like I was eating too much sugar - we'll see where that takes me.

I think that it is pretty easy to do ww, because of all the allowances, so who knows....I might be back.

Hope everyone has a great week.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #229
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: avonkimmer
Hi everyone! I keep forgetting to check in here. I wish I could get an alert on my phone when this thread is updated!!
I am a Zumba fanatic. I love, love, love it. I go twice per week.
Here is a BIG reason why I should check in here more often. I thought I was doing relatively low carb combined with WW. One night recently I sat down and looked at what I had eaten for the day and I had 129.3 net carbs. What a shock! So now, I am being much more diligent. I don't want to have to track both every day, but I certainly have to be much more aware. And btw, this was only at 21 points into the day so it wasn't the total for all I ate before the day was over. It givea me something to consider with WW and even though I thought I was beyond needing to track when doing LC, maybe I was wrong there too???
avonkimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Avon - that is kinda how I was feeling. I know that in an earlier post, I said that I was going to try to track both....well that lasted 2 days. So, I'm thinking that I will probably track with etools until my account runs out, and will check carb count maybe 1 or 2 times per week.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Avon/Rotay60 -- I agree with you guys about counting carbs and how easy it is to get away from you. I watch carbs - I try to keep them low - I don't eat the WW snacks/bars/etc/pasta/potatoes - loaded with carbs. I try to watch careful and some days it's super surprising - yikes. I like WW but I'm on this board because I believe LC is so important -- just because it's low in points doesn't mean it's good for you or a good option. I think it's getting used to the plan and tweaking it to LC. I sometimes have higher carb days but I then try to balance it out by LC days in a row.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Hockeymom, that is a good strategy. My problem was that I just started eating within WW guidelines....bars, shakes, bread, and probably too much fruit. Like you, I believe that LC is important/healthy, but it is a lot harder to do than WW.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #233
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RaineyJ
Stats: 205/199/150 5'8"female-age 48
WOE: General LC
Start Date: 1997
I don't often post, but I thought I'd come out of lurking mode to join in this discussion. I've been low carbing for many years. At first I did it to lose weight, but I stuck with it over the years because it made me feel great. No more blood sugar crashes or ravenous hunger. Unfortunately, as far as the weight loss goes, I never lost very much. So, over the years, I've tried tweaking my low carb diet in every way possible; high fat, low fat, more protein, less protein, more carbs, less carbs. None of these did anything to help me lose weight. The one tweak I really didn't want to do was cut calories, but after everything else failed I decided to try combining low carb with Weight Watchers. I tried cutting calories on my own but found it difficult, so I thought the accountablility of the WW meetings would help. To be honest, the lure of eating carbs again was very strong too.

Well, I've been at it now for 4 months and I have mixed reviews. I enjoy going to the meetings because they inspire me to eat healthy and exercise. I appreciate the weekly weigh ins and the accountability. I also really enjoy the new freedom of eating anything I want. I generally stick to low-carb foods, but have switched to low fat dairy and lean cuts of meat. I also added fruit, the occasional grain or starchy vegetable, and some sweet treats. As far as weight loss goes though it hasn't been great. I need to lose at least 50 lbs., but so far have only lost 5 lbs. and have been bouncing around alot too.

I've also noticed some negative things about my time at WW. The first thing I noticed is that my hunger came back. I've always struggled to keep my hunger under control and low carb was the only thing that ever helped. I've been snacking to ward off the hunger, but veggies and fruit alone don't help. Meat and fat cost a lot of points, so I often run out of points. The next thing I noticed is that I started delving more and more into the junk food and the sweet treats. During my years eating low carb I did miss the junk, but I was able to control myself pretty well. Not now! I am battling gargantuous cravings!! And losing the battle!! Since joining WW I've found myself standing in front of the deep freeze with a gallon of ice cream and a spoon. I never did that eating exclusively low carb.

So...my word of advice to anyone considering combining WW and Low Carb is to be very careful...especially if you are the type of person who is sensitive to blood sugar issues. I think that if you need to cut calories WW is a great option, but if you find yourself dealing with cravings and hunger again you may need to rethink how you follow the plan. As for me, I am going to continue for now, but focus on eating low-carb foods only, and spend my points on protein and fat. No free fruit!

I know that not everyone is like me, and some people do better on a WW style diet, but for those people who are attracted to a lc diet because of blood sugar issues, I think you will need to be more cautious.

Last edited by RaineyJ; 06-14-2012 at 11:27 AM..
RaineyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineyJ View Post
I don't often post, but I thought I'd come out of lurking mode to join in this discussion. I've been low carbing for many years. At first I did it to lose weight, but I stuck with it over the years because it made me feel great. No more blood sugar crashes or ravenous hunger. Unfortunately, as far as the weight loss goes, I never lost very much. So, over the years, I've tried tweaking my low carb diet in every way possible; high fat, low fat, more protein, less protein, more carbs, less carbs. None of these did anything to help me lose weight. The one tweak I really didn't want to do was cut calories, but after everything else failed I decided to try combining low carb with Weight Watchers. I tried cutting calories on my own but found it difficult, so I thought the accountablility of the WW meetings would help. To be honest, the lure of eating carbs again was very strong too.

Well, I've been at it now for 4 months and I have mixed reviews. I enjoy going to the meetings because they inspire me to eat healthy and exercise. I appreciate the weekly weigh ins and the accountability. I also really enjoy the new freedom of eating anything I want. I generally stick to low-carb foods, but have switched to low fat dairy and lean cuts of meat. I also added fruit, the occasional grain or starchy vegetable, and some sweet treats. As far as weight loss goes though it hasn't been great. I need to lose at least 50 lbs., but so far have only lost 5 lbs. and have been bouncing around alot too.

I've also noticed some negative things about my time at WW. The first thing I noticed is that my hunger came back. I've always struggled to keep my hunger under control and low carb was the only thing that ever helped. I've been snacking to ward off the hunger, but veggies and fruit alone don't help. Meat and fat cost a lot of points, so I often run out of points. The next thing I noticed is that I started delving more and more into the junk food and the sweet treats. During my years eating low carb I did miss the junk, but I was able to control myself pretty well. Not now! I am battling gargantuous cravings!! And losing the battle!! Since joining WW I've found myself standing in front of the deep freeze with a gallon of ice cream and a spoon. I never did that eating exclusively low carb.

So...my word of advice to anyone considering combining WW and Low Carb is to be very careful...especially if you are the type of person who is sensitive to blood sugar issues. I think that if you need to cut calories WW is a great option, but if you find yourself dealing with cravings and hunger again you may need to rethink how you follow the plan. As for me, I am going to continue for now, but focus on eating low-carb foods only, and spend my points on protein and fat. No free fruit!

I know that not everyone is like me, and some people do better on a WW style diet, but for those people who are attracted to a lc diet because of blood sugar issues, I think you will need to be more cautious.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gibster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineyJ View Post

Hello, everyone. This is a great post, Rainey. I do very well on LC - when I stick to it. I lost 40 lbs. 2 years ago, but I've gained it all back. I thought back to when I was losing that weight and the big thing that was different is that I was weighing in every week at my chiro's office. I absolutely need the accountability - at least for now. So, since they offer WW meetings here at work midday, I decided to check out the new PointsPlus plan. It seems to me that doing LC/paleo will work fine with WW as long as I stay true to my LC roots. My first meeting will be tomorrow. What's sad is that I earned WW Lifetime membership over 30 years ago.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Linda, Welcome!!! I agree with you - this helps with accountability. I have found that LC/WW works for me. I do eat fruit but I'm careful. I watch my carbs and am careful not to let that carb monster come back. Like you - we are having meetings at work and we're all on board so it's fun. It sure helps when we don't have snacks in the office anymore.

Today was weigh-in -- down .8 lbs so I'm happy with that. I had a few high point days this week (dipping into my weekly). I also got a lot of activity points (my best week so far) but the scale may not show that for a while. I feel good - really good. Ah...the weekend is coming and next week I'm gone all week for work. I'll try to stay on plan - I'm pretty sure I can do it.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Hey Linda, welcome and please post often. WTG Hockeymom, best of luck for next week- just remember have those "go to" snacks ready.

Well, my update...I lost 2.4 this past week. I am really happy with this, but I'm just going to tell you that I was strictly low carb. I will have to say that I did miss the fruit,
Have a great week everyone.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Rotay, great job!!! I know the feeling - I do love my fruit!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
Hey Linda, welcome and please post often. WTG Hockeymom, best of luck for next week- just remember have those "go to" snacks ready.

Well, my update...I lost 2.4 this past week. I am really happy with this, but I'm just going to tell you that I was strictly low carb. I will have to say that I did miss the fruit,
Have a great week everyone.
Yay Rotay! on missing the fruit
I'm off to my WI and will post results later.

Happy Friday everyone!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

My WI was this morning and I was down 2.2 lbs! 26.6 lbs total! yay!