Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Intuitive Eating

Does anyone know what happen to the Intuitive Eating (IE) thread? I remember there being one with lots of folks posting.

Are there any IEaters out there now?? If so, could we form a group just to share techniques, etc.

Thanks.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #2

I recently order "Am I Really Hungry" by Jane Bernards after seeing a review on Youtube. I haven't received my book yet, but I've read a lot on IE and watched videos of others on youtube. I started putting what I've read into practice and so far so good.

Today is D3 and I'm down 7.5 pounds!! I'm not really doing this to lose weight (though I'm happy I have), but to get away from binging, dieting, restricting, abusing laxatives, etc. I know that I have a long road ahead of me, but I don't mind. I'm in this for the long haul.

Please join me, if you like.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Meek --I am interested. I have that book, and many others. I am working hard to stop dieting and eat more intuitively. It is scary to give up diets, but they always seem to lead to binges for me. No good.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Meek --I am interested. I have that book, and many others. I am working hard to stop dieting and eat more intuitively. It is scary to give up diets, but they always seem to lead to binges for me. No good.
Welcome. Glad your interested as well. You're right, giving up dieting is scary and does lead to binges for me too. It's a learning process, but I'm willing to give it a real try... for my own sanity. I can't continue to live like this.

I'm not knocking Atkins as it has helped me in the past. But, I can't continue to restrict and follow rules .

Freedom is ours. We can do this
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

I posted this on my Facebook status today:

Quote:
Intuitive eating isn't a license to eat badly. Instead, it's a holistic approach that involves being highly attuned to hunger signals, sensible eating, and not denying the body treats like ice cream If a fruit or vegetable will solve my hunger instead of something from McDonalds, then I'm going to be intelligent about it and choose the fruit or vegetable When my tummy begins to grumble, I'll chose something that will FUEL my body and give me energy - rather than slow it down. This is a lot to learn, but it will happen. #yay
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

I found this post on a forum that I just joined. Very interesting and I can relate to the OP 10000000%. I am on this journey now and it's a challenge, but I will do it.

Quote:
Well, it took like 25 years of trial and error, but I am a happy eater. I follow no rules. I count no calories. Iím completely over nutrient ratios, meal timing and measuring cups. Plus, as an added bonus, Iím not fat. Any time Iíve flirted with this ďintuitive eatingĒ stuff before, Iíve quickly become too fat for my little pants. This time Iím gradually losing. Iím 5í8″ and weigh 135-137 most days. I donít know my percentage of body fat. Itís possible that Iím losing muscle and brains. Iím not concerned enough to get out the calipers. My Tanita scale tells me that Iím between 14% and 24% body fat. Helpful, eh? Itís like asking a Magic 8 Ball. The readout may as well say ďConcentrate and ask again.Ē Or ďSigns point to yes.Ē All I know is that my yoga pants are loose! Woohoo!

So, why did intuitive eating work this time when itís destroyed my abs so many times before? Iíve been trying to figure that out. I know that in the past Iíve used intuitive eating as an excuse to binge. Iíd turn to it after a bout of really restrictive dieting, or when I couldnít face my nutrition software, or when I wasnít accountable to a trainer. My ďintuitionĒ would tell me to eat boxes of glazed donuts and sheets of cookies. Iíd gain weight, scoff at the total lameness of this ďembrace your inner cowĒ intuitive hoody-hoo, and go right back to obsessive dieting, tracking and measuring. I wrote down every single thing I ate or drank for TWO YEARS. That was not fun, and actually not helpful.

Iím more relaxed now. I donít make food decisions from a place of frustration and panic. My intuition really likes strawberries. I eat chocolate every day. I like bagels. I like to eat out. Iím not limiting myself to dieter food but Iím very aware of portions. I eat one Cadbury Egg, not six. I eat mini-bagels, not those bakery bagels the size of my head. I understand that a typical restaurant serving is enough to feed four people.

Last time I tried intuitive eating, portion control was my downfall. I believed those books that said to eat as many cookies as I wanted and that eventually I wouldnít want as many. Right!! Weeks later, I still wanted every cookie that had ever been baked. I was reeling out of control on a blood sugar rollercoaster. The more junk I ate, the more junk I wanted. I was never able to pull it together enough to even maintain my weight, much less lose.

Some things that really helped me this time:

- I weigh myself every day. If youíre not going to count calories or measure your food, youíd better be keeping an eye on something. It could be weight, waist measurement, a caliper pinch, a pair of jeans, but you need some kind of objective feedback. If you choose not to track your food and not to look at any of your measurements, then youíd better go buy some fat pants.

- I eat what I want but I always control portions. Generally, the more I want something, the more I need to watch out. I can play fast and loose with spinach but Iíd better take my ice cream in a single-serving container.

- I share. I never used to share before. Sharing is the greatest thing ever! You get to eat whatever you want and make everyone around you fat. Try it! Order the double-fudge super cookie dough caramel delight. Eat three bites and watch your dining companions devour the rest of it like hungry hyenas. Share your French fries. Split the sandwich. Order three tacos and only eat one of them. Itís exhilarating! Plus, I always have great leftovers.

- I strike a nice balance of healthy food and treats. You canít eat an all-treat diet and look or feel very good. I eat loads of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. I love whole grains. I eat nuts and seeds like Iím a squirrel. Iím a sucker for a big salad. I enjoy lean protein as long as itís not forced upon me every 2-3 hours. I eat a lot of healthy whole foods but I like to add a Pop Tart or Reeseís Peanut Butter Cup for good measure.

- I donít eat six times per day, or three times per day, or three meals and two snacks. I donít follow anybody elseís rules because how does the book or the calculator know what Iím doing or when Iím going to be hungry? It doesnít. So, I eat when I feel like it. On an active, hungry day I might eat 5-6 times. On a lazy day with restaurant food, I might eat 2-3 times. Iím no longer dumb enough try to force three more meals after lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.

- I grasp the importance of good nutrition. Iím not knocking diet plans or nutrition programs, especially if youíre trying to achieve a sports performance or body comp goal. A little bit of structure can be good. I base my eating on the healthy principles Iíve learned but I donít allow myself to become a slave to the details. And donít believe that I can eat as many cookies as I want and still lose weight. Big derrrr there!

- I flow. Thatís significant because I used to battle. I battled my weight. I struggled with willpower. I waged a war against fat. I fought with the numbers. I kicked myself when I slipped. My mindset was one big bloody massacre. My fitness goals were always at odds with what I really wanted, which was to relax and eat Cheetos. Now, if I want to relax and eat Cheetos, I do so immediately. No struggle. No stress. No guilt. I know that for my next meal Iíll choose something a little more ab-friendly.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Excellent post! Which forum?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Quote:
Originally Posted by @iamMeekness View Post
I recently order "Am I Really Hungry" by Jane Bernards after seeing a review on Youtube. I haven't received my book yet, but I've read a lot on IE and watched videos of others on youtube. I started putting what I've read into practice and so far so good.

Today is D3 and I'm down 7.5 pounds!! I'm not really doing this to lose weight (though I'm happy I have), but to get away from binging, dieting, restricting, abusing laxatives, etc. I know that I have a long road ahead of me, but I don't mind. I'm in this for the long haul.

Please join me, if you like.

Thanks.
Quote:
Welcome. Glad your interested as well. You're right, giving up dieting is scary and does lead to binges for me too. It's a learning process, but I'm willing to give it a real try... for my own sanity. I can't continue to live like this.

I'm not knocking Atkins as it has helped me in the past. But, I can't continue to restrict and follow rules .

Freedom is ours. We can do this
Okay. Move over cause here I come! I haven't read the big post from the woman who you quoted but I will very soon. Meek, I love this idea and I am so tired of the dieting mentality too. I am so much closer to my goal weight than I've been in 12 years, but I have farther to go and I just can't get there by dieting.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'll be back tomorrow.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Excellent post! Which forum?
I don't think I can say here, but google "intuitive eating forums."
Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Okay. Move over cause here I come! I haven't read the big post from the woman who you quoted but I will very soon. Meek, I love this idea and I am so tired of the dieting mentality too. I am so much closer to my goal weight than I've been in 12 years, but I have farther to go and I just can't get there by dieting.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'll be back tomorrow.
OMG! Cheryl, , so glad you could join me .

You can lose the rest of your weight by intuitive eating. I've lost 8 pounds thus far without dieting and I started this WOE on Sunday. Once you free your mind of dieting, restricting, rules, etc... the weight will fly off!!

We have done so many diets and a lot of the "healthy" principals we learned over the years can be incorporated with Intuitive Eating. It's all about using common sense .

I hope you have a good day

Give it a go, it works!!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #11

Good morning, feeling good today No scale, cause I didn't feel the need to weigh. The way my clothes fit tells the real story . I woke up hungry (so I thought), and drunk 32 ounces of water and a cup of coffee. Now I feel fine. No tummy grumbling yet, so I won't eat. Listening for true cues today. Gotta stay tuned to my body, and I will. I hope everyone has a good day.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #12

Rejecting The Diet Mentality

Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #13

Honoring Hunger

Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #14

Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #15

Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #16

Just thought I'd post several videos that I've found helpful during my transition into Intuitive Eating.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #17

"Am I Really Hungry" book review

Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks Meek--nice to have easy access to those--8 pounds!? Wow! impressive! And are you eating anything you like? or are you eating LC? Because I definitely can no longer limit my food choices that way. I do believe that lower carbs are better for health, but I really cannot restrict without compensatory binging. on the other hand, lower carb = fewer cravings for sugar. It is quite the dilemma.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
This is exactly, word-for-word the same as Weighdown Workshop. My sister used to do it and she bought the audio tapes and the workbook and was completely into it. She lost weight great but she also leaned on calorie restriction. She weighed everything and I always felt that it was contrary to the plan to do that, but it gave her some measure of peace.

I have done Weighdown in the past but because it is all wrapped up in God and pleasing Him, I felt like I was "sinning" when I'd eat when I wasn't really hungry or eat past comfortable, or out right binge. I had to stop because I couldn't handle eating being that important to God.

This Intuitive Eating plan is better in that regard, but it's the same notion of eating when hungry, eating what it is you want, being "in the moment" when you are eating and stopping when satisfied.

I will join you in doing this! I don't know how I will do because I tend to eat again late at night after my sleeping meds kick-in. Yesterday I didn't eat all day, other than coffee with half/n/half then after my day was done, I had some light beers (plural.) I decided that if I couldn't stop myself from eating after the sleeping meds kicked in, I just wouldn't eat until that inevitable time.

I was down 2 lbs today so that worked somewhat. But I got really hungry around 4 pm when I was at an orientation and in no position to eat. I just rode it out and then when I got home, I started taking in calories.

I will try to eat something with substance whenever hunger strikes and then save something good for when sleeping meds attack.

My computer has a virus. I've been struggling with it for a week now and I've run every scan I can run and it won't resolve. I keep getting "threat detected" messages from AVG and then I have to click "Move to the vault" and then in a while it happens again. About an hour ago, I went to listen to one of the videos you posted (Meek) and it said I had no audio hardware! Went to investigate that and was getting conflicting info. Restarted the computer and there it was again. UGH! GAH! Whatever you want to cry out! This sucks and I can't take it somewhere to be repaired. The hinges are broken on one side and hanging by a thread on the other.

I will try and see if I can have someone come into my home and work on it. On top of everything else I've got going on in my life this month, it's not high on my list of to-do's. (See Journal thread in siggy.)

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

My Journal.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Ahhh a breath of fresh air!! This is what I've been looking for. I have never heard of Intuitive Eating, I never knew there was such a thing. I mean, conscious eating is what I call it. But I've been looking for more info on this topic.

It doesn't make sense to post in the Main Lobby I feel like, because I am definitely misunderstood there.

I just started exercising more again (I used to be a dancer), and even though I absolutely believe in Atkins, it is not for me, for life. I don't want to restrict WHAT I eat. I want to learn to restrict my portions and have a better intuition when it comes to WHEN I eat.

I just finished a big workout, so I am going to hit the showers and then come back to read through this thread and watch the videos

Noelle

Beating my addiction to the scale
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OMG! Cheryl, , so glad you could join me .

You can lose the rest of your weight by intuitive eating. I've lost 8 pounds thus far without dieting and I started this WOE on Sunday. Once you free your mind of dieting, restricting, rules, etc... the weight will fly off!!

We have done so many diets and a lot of the "healthy" principals we learned over the years can be incorporated with Intuitive Eating. It's all about using common sense .

I hope you have a good day

Give it a go, it works!!
Please do share some of your main tips on how to start!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
hey there! I read the book Intuitive Eating a while back. I've been on so many different diets and programs these last few years that I just don't know what to do at this point. HCG was working great, but it caused me to have migraines :/

LC works well, but i can't stick with it long.

I sort of tried JUDDD and I actually have the book ordered now and it's on its way.

I'm beginning to think that all the restrictions is just causing me more problems and makes me binge out and just forget it out. binge at night and start back all over again the next day (sigh).

Intuitive eating sounds like what I need, but it scares me. I just read Brain Over Binge and while I'm don't purge, it helped me realize that we are in control of our choices.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do JUDDD. I'm going to read the book first. I would love a life without measuring and worrying over every little thing I eat.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
hey there! I read the book Intuitive Eating a while back. I've been on so many different diets and programs these last few years that I just don't know what to do at this point. HCG was working great, but it caused me to have migraines :/

LC works well, but i can't stick with it long.

I sort of tried JUDDD and I actually have the book ordered now and it's on its way.

I'm beginning to think that all the restrictions is just causing me more problems and makes me binge out and just forget it out. binge at night and start back all over again the next day (sigh).

Intuitive eating sounds like what I need, but it scares me. I just read Brain Over Binge and while I'm don't purge, it helped me realize that we are in control of our choices.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do JUDDD. I'm going to read the book first. I would love a life without measuring and worrying over every little thing I eat.
Good luck with that! I have tried JUDDD, which went well for a few days but after a week I was done with it. Too bad, cuz it sounded so good!

I think for me, as I don't want to restrict what I eat, I should get in control of when I eat. I feel like exercising has always helped me find this balance.

There's nothing like your brain leading you to success
Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
Good luck with that! I have tried JUDDD, which went well for a few days but after a week I was done with it. Too bad, cuz it sounded so good!

I think for me, as I don't want to restrict what I eat, I should get in control of when I eat. I feel like exercising has always helped me find this balance.

There's nothing like your brain leading you to success
Yes, that's what happened to me too. I'm going to read the book to learn about the science of it.

I worry about the restrictions and measuring. I can usually do these diets for about a week or two, but then I lose interest and get tired of the measuring and counting and restricting. I feel that LC is restrictive because I obsess over what I can't have. I'm already having to restrict gluten and dairy due to intolerances.

I'm going to read my Intuitive Eating book again too. I need to make a decision soon on what I want to do and stick with it. That is key.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JUDDD works super well if binge eating on your UD's is not a problem. I have learned a lot from doing JUDDD, and I love many of the DD recipes. Unfortunately, too much restriction ends up in binging for me. I have found, thanks to JUDDD, that holding off my eating til later in the day gives me more control with my food, which I like. However, intuitive eating helps me at the point where I actually start eating. Staying very conscious, only eating when eating and not surfing the computer, tv, etc., using small plates, only eating when hungry and stopping when I've had enough, eating only what I really want--and working on coping with emotion without food--

the JosieLenore videos that Meek posted are fantastic. I highly recommend that everyone go to her Utube channel and watch all her videos. They are very very helpful.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
JUDDD works super well if binge eating on your UD's is not a problem. I have learned a lot from doing JUDDD, and I love many of the DD recipes. Unfortunately, too much restriction ends up in binging for me. I have found, thanks to JUDDD, that holding off my eating til later in the day gives me more control with my food, which I like. However, intuitive eating helps me at the point where I actually start eating. Staying very conscious, only eating when eating and not surfing the computer, tv, etc., using small plates, only eating when hungry and stopping when I've had enough, eating only what I really want--and working on coping with emotion without food--

the JosieLenore videos that Meek posted are fantastic. I highly recommend that everyone go to her Utube channel and watch all her videos. They are very very helpful.
I do IF a few days a week and I find that eating just in the evenings works for me too, but like you, I have to watch the binging.

I'm gonna watch those videos after work today.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #27

Welcome Noelle and Star So glad you both decided to join us on this journey of Intuitive Eating.

I just received the book the book "Am I Really Hungry" by Jane Bernard. I've only read the intro and part of chapter 1, which talks about the 6 senses. So far so good. I will post excerpts from the book as I read a long. Stay tuned for the 10 tools we should use during Intuitive Eating.

Although I find IE to be a fantasting and freeing approach to follow, I must be honest that it scares me a little, but I'm going to pursue this WOL with my whole heart. I've tried JUDDD in the past as well, and did great on the DD, but struggled on the UD. Like many here have said, I can follow a plan to the letter for the first two weeks, but afterwards, it becomes a challenge. I needed a WOL approach that I could follow for the rest of my life, not just 12, 14, 30, or 40 days. It has to become a lifestyle change for me, which is way I had to quit dieting, PERIOD!

I am not completely healed just yet. This is going to take a lot of practice, praying, etc. But I will do it. I still have those urges to track + weigh foods, check my scale twice and sometimes three time per week, AND make bad choices when it comes to food selections.

Well, I'll be back in a little to type more. I'm using my hubs computer and he needs it right now.

Please continue to post ladies. We can do this. One bite at a time .
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Frump2fox
So pleased to see this thread! I've been reading the old IE threads on here during the last two days and was hoping to see a new one.

I'm over dieting/binging/restricting more/more binging. I do need to lose weight, around 60 pounds maybe more. But I just can't diet any more - I've been dieting since I was 17. I'm now 50. I started dieting at 112 pounds. I have 'dieted' my way up to 210 pounds.
I agree with ouizoid - I KNOW that eating LC is healthy and it helps to cut cravings. It is a fantastic WOE for many people. But any type of restriction leads me to binge eating. I would love to be able to commit to a LC plan, lose this weight, and keep it for life but I know that for me, at some point I will want something off plan and that will lead to a huge binge (probably lasting for several weeks) and a big weight regain.
I can't do that any more.
I have tried IE before and don't let anyone fool you into thinking it's easy. It's simple, yes but you DO have to work at it. If you let things slide and stop paying attention to your body you will have problems.
Oh and like the writer of the article posted above, when I tried IE previously it was usually after a period of restriction so it was an excuse to binge on everything I'd been deprived of. This time is different.

Thanks again for starting the new thread!
Frump2fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frump2fox View Post
So pleased to see this thread! I've been reading the old IE threads on here during the last two days and was hoping to see a new one.

I'm over dieting/binging/restricting more/more binging. I do need to lose weight, around 60 pounds maybe more. But I just can't diet any more - I've been dieting since I was 17. I'm now 50. I started dieting at 112 pounds. I have 'dieted' my way up to 210 pounds.
I agree with ouizoid - I KNOW that eating LC is healthy and it helps to cut cravings. It is a fantastic WOE for many people. But any type of restriction leads me to binge eating. I would love to be able to commit to a LC plan, lose this weight, and keep it for life but I know that for me, at some point I will want something off plan and that will lead to a huge binge (probably lasting for several weeks) and a big weight regain.
I can't do that any more.
I have tried IE before and don't let anyone fool you into thinking it's easy. It's simple, yes but you DO have to work at it. If you let things slide and stop paying attention to your body you will have problems.
Oh and like the writer of the article posted above, when I tried IE previously it was usually after a period of restriction so it was an excuse to binge on everything I'd been deprived of. This time is different.

Thanks again for starting the new thread!
Hello, welcome, and thank you for your post. I completely understand where you're coming from and I feel the same way as you do. I agree with everything you said too! IE isn't easy, it's a lot of work, but we must be willing to fight, one day at a time. I do believe we can do it!!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #30

How is everyone doing today? I'm doing well. I didn't get hungry until around 1pm today. Had a good lunch, not the best, but it was good. I weighed this morning. I'm still holding onto the 8 pounds I lost since almost a week ago. This is good! I'm sure I'll start to lose more has I make better choices of food. Right now, I'm just going with the flow... continuing to reject the diet mentality. I'll be glad when I'm fully delivered, lol. My day is coming, no doubt about it. I haven't exercised in almost 2 weeks, so I'll restart on Monday. My kids are taking swimming lessons on Saturdays, so while they're in class, I will swim laps for 40 minutes. I can't wait to do this because this is how I lost all my weight during my first round on Atkins (see gallery pics on the left).

Well, I'm off to do homework. I hope you all have a great weekend