Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Purrcy'smom
Stats: 216/193.5/158
WOE: Dukan and the CTFLC
Start Date: May 9, 2011
I found the Feb thread! Whew!
Stilldews, I had some comments on the cholesterol post you made in Jan: pasting here:
Stilldews: wanted to note: I just had my bloodwork done after being on DUKAN and the oat bran since May- I have only lost 27 ( glorious!) pounds... but, my cholesterol is down from 252 to 217, the triglycerides down to 121 from 354 and that is awesome news. My HDLs went up some, ( need to go more) and my LDL are still high but did come down at 144.
Keep up that oat bran, and with the Chia, there will be no stopping us! I am so glad I did not start on the cholesterol meds my Dr was twisting my arm to take.
Only thing now is he wants me on thyroid meds. Going into see him to discuss.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Holy Moly I am so behind I cant keep up!! Good to see you Miss A- you are doing great!!!!! and Purcy- that is fabulous about the cholesterol!!! Sorry I am behind, too much going on but all good!!!

Iam- I sent the powder, LOL I hope you enjoy it!! !! I think the kids should fly you to Idaho for a little R&R after they move in!!!!

Lost some this week then 2 glasses of wine blew me up, honestly like come one, but could have done worse with food, I was good with that!!!

Keep it up Dukies!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stilldews
WOE: Dukan
missamaryllis, I love the show Scrubs too. Knew you knew what scrub pants were if you thought about it. Fun to think of what nurses from a 100 years ago would think about the way modern nurses dress, but they sure are comfortable and practical for climbing up on beds and doing all the strange things we do.

Many of the restaurants here is America do serve very large portions, especially here in the Midwest where I live. Afraid it's starting to take it's toll on a lot of waistlines. I often bring home enough food after eating out for another meal. In fact, I've found it's smart to ask for a takehome tray before starting to eat and just put half the food in it. We have a lot of buffet or all you can eat places here in NE too that can be really dangerous. You always feel like you need to get your money's worth and sadly we usually do. Since starting Dukan, I have mostly avoided those and gone for the nicer places where I can get lean protein and steamed vegetables and salad.

Judy, good to hear from you. I think the goji berries are limited to 1 TB a day and considered a tolerated item like the 1 tsp of cocoa and 1 Tb of wheat bran. Total tolerated items for the day should not be over 2 and it they slow you down, think of them as items you don't tolerate.

"People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning."
Lao-Tzu
stilldews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #34

Here is what I found about the goji's on dukan.uk

Attack phase: 1 tbsp per day
Cruise phase PP: 1tbps per day
Cruise phase PV: 2 tbsp per day
Consolidation phase: can be increased to 3 tbsp per day

After that the suggested amount is about 30 Goji berries per day, preferably in the morning, for a period of 3 months.

Susan that is so true about restaurants, no wonder we are so fat here, OMG and all the fake stuff that is in restaurant packed food, not good, that is why we so seldom go out, it is so hard to stick to any diet cause you dont know what you are getting!!!! You are doing super!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Purrcy- glad uu found us... Call or txt me if you ever need to "just talk".

Miss- I often forget not everyone is here in the States! Yes, so sad Americans are among the fattest people in the world. But we are doing it to ourselves by the FAST pace lifestyle & always having to "grab n go". We off times feedour kids in the car- a drive through (place where you can drive up & order & eat without getting out of our beloved SUVs) are on almost every corner. But then there is Subway! You can get something fresh(er) -if you don't get deli meat- & load it with fresh(er) vegies..or forget the bread & make it into a salad. We have our choices-other places for subs are like Penn Station where I have yet to find something that isn't greasy...not that the right fats are not good - I just don't trust what is in stuff anymore since I HAVE TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY for knowing what goes into & on my body. I haven't become fanitical but I hope a lot smarter.

GOSH! I love the people here @ LCF!

Susan ~ Interesting thought on nurses. Remember the required little hats & the white uniforms? A thing of the past! BTW- scrubs were my comfort cothes for years! Hid a multitude of fat & sags! I have one set (blue & black bottoms) that I have been virtually living in since the renovation on my house started! I have used them for the past 10 years for painting & they are a masterpiece of colors since they also serve for a hand wipe . Now they are like a big sack on me !! Nice and roomy!

Amber - you have so many irons in the fire right now! But then after the 1st of March you will be forced to slow down & smell the roses for a while. I am so excited for you! Hope you can figure out the $ for the BJ @ thr same time. You could handle the recovery & you have such a terrific support team. You will have to get a new red dress or maybe a slinky black one!

Jidy, we are proud to have you with us! There are ways to post information here but we do use care. I appreciate what this web site has contributed to me! I love their VCO! But I got mine from the Amazon Jungle!

Blessings! Got to get busy & do some cooking & washing of fevies to juice etc so I can get the Shark steam cleaner out of the box & give it a try! It has been here for 2 weeks unopened! Then I MUST finish painting Larrys room cause we start on KRISTEN's this weekend & I have to gt trim painted 1st in there. Strawberry red is her color as opposed to Metropolis gray for Larry! Colors on my walls! they have always been a very light pastel with natural wood trim. Now bold colors & white trim-I must be starting a new phase in my life! Exciting!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-07-2012 at 04:25 AM..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Basketball

Went to Jordan's last regular BB gameof the season. His team won with Jordan making the majority of the points! No he is not a one man team- he is 10 ~ BB & BUGS are his passion!

BUT before the gsme Larry (6) grabbed a BB & started shooting. Never felt like doing this! I got out there on the court with him! I even ran, dribbled & made some baskets! Don't know what got into me! I was NOT in my paint covered sweats & had on my 12 pants & MED black shirt! Guess I felt good!

But when Kristen & Larry went to the hop scotch & I tried it - I realized I hadn't jumped for years! So I struggled to do it with TWO feet! Guess what I need to practice!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-07-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #37

OM gosh IAM, you be careful out here running arond, you cant afford to pull anything with your work schedule on the house, LOL Good for you for doing it!!!! Jumping is hard it takes a lot out of you, that is why my trainer is so big on it, it gets the heart rate up for sure, tha tis why there are so many good old fashioned exercises that can be done at home, without equipment and $$ spent, a good old jumping jack will wear you out in minutes!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Purrcy's Mom those lab results sounds really encouraging. If your TSH is high, you may find that you lose much better with a little thyroid supplement. It might also help if you have been having problems with tiredness, depression ect. One of those things that if you need it, you need it and most people have notside effects from it.

Faithful, I'd have loved to seen you out there having fun in your little size 12s! Bet your kids and grandkids are enjoying having this new youthful, energetic woman in their lives. I wear my old scrub tops as gardening shirts. They seem to be more stain resistant than most other things and I get really dirty when I'm out playing it my garden. I've been in nursing for enough years that I remember some of the "old style" nurses and the starched caps and dresses. When I first started working as a nurse's aid 45 years ago, we could not even wear slacks at all. Times change!

Amber, I must have missed that your surgery date in set. Exciting! You have done so many remarkable things over the last year and deserve all the rewards you are now reaping. You are really a hottie and only going to be more so.

I made a strange but really good tasting chili today. Browned some onions and garlic then a pound of ground beef. Added some fire roasted red pepper, a can of sliced banana peppers, a can of spinach, a little vinegar, splenda, lots of chili pepper, cumin, sea salt, tomato paste, some diced tomatoes with green peepers and let it all simmer about 45 minutes on the stove. Used it to top some of the zero cal noodles. Never put spinach in chili before, but it was good and added a little bulk without a lot of calories. Ended up sort of like a sweet and sour chili. I have enough to eat all week.

Last edited by stilldews; 02-07-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
Susan try coconut flour! No gluten but it takes some special recipies. But to flour & thicken it works well. Absorbs more liquid for most so cakes etc start off runnier & bake well. Never saw recipies with so little flour & so many eggs!
I snuck in here to quietly spy on ya'll and glad I did! I bought coconut flour at Christmastime for a recipe that I never made, so I put it in the freezer.

It didn't occur to me to use it as a thickener or as a coating. I LOVE fried pickles, but like to coat them with something to make them crispier. Once in a great while I'll fry strips of leftover chicken or turkey.

I usually use tempered eggs as the thickener for soups, but I wonder if the coconut flour would work. Hmmm...

Anyway, thanks for popping some ideas into my head!

Carry on...
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria40nc View Post
I snuck in here to quietly spy on ya'll and glad I did! I bought coconut flour at Christmastime for a recipe that I never made, so I put it in the freezer.

It didn't occur to me to use it as a thickener or as a coating. I LOVE fried pickles, but like to coat them with something to make them crispier. Once in a great while I'll fry strips of leftover chicken or turkey.

I usually use tempered eggs as the thickener for soups, but I wonder if the coconut flour would work. Hmmm...

Anyway, thanks for popping some ideas into my head!

Carry on...

Weare always glad to have someonechime in- on plan with Dukier not!

Coconut flour absorbes LOADS of moisture. I haven't baked with it yet but he recipies I have found call for a huge amount of eggs & they say the batter will be runny because it grabs all the moisture as it bakes. It would be a good thickener bit try a small quantity first so you don't wind up with thick paste.

AMBER - haven't thought of jumping jacks since I was in high school. I think I can do that- or not! But if Glenda can get to the gym I can start with one or two if I can get my feet off the ground. I may have to start with that. I can do one at a time but both??? That takes coordination.

Susan, your chili sounds terrific. I love throwing stuff together. My cooking skills have really gone down hill since living here with me-cause me doesn't really care for new things she can eat the same stuff over & over for weeks at a time. She is so easy to please. Maybe I can try that for me...she would appreciate it.

IMO I think the green/red (with beets) juice is making a huge difference in how I feel. It is parsley, cucumber, kale, ginger, carrot, celery, a little granny smith apple & a little whole orange (about 1/4th each). Don't think the carbs are high but the surge from energy & feeling like I can play BB & hop scothc (althoug I couldn't get my foot off the ground & had trouble two footing it) I felt good about trying. It was fun!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: judyk
Stats: 225.4/225.4/175
WOE: Healthy
Been a busy day, no computer time. I had a great dinner I have to share. I had some frozen tilapia which I seasoned, put in a zip n steam bag, then in the microwave for 5 minutes. It was still mostly frozen and it came out perfectly and was delicious. So fast, easy and good. I ate it with cottage cheese for a great PP meal.
judyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miss.amaryllis
Stats: 10st 2lbs - ideal 8st 12 lbs, now 8st 3lbs
WOE: The Dukan Diet
Start Date: 2nd June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post

Miss- I often forget not everyone is here in the States! Yes, so sad Americans are among the fattest people in the world. But we are doing it to ourselves by the FAST pace lifestyle & always having to "grab n go". We off times feedour kids in the car- a drive through (place where you can drive up & order & eat without getting out of our beloved SUVs) are on almost every corner. But then there is Subway! You can get something fresh(er) -if you don't get deli meat- & load it with fresh(er) vegies..or forget the bread & make it into a salad. We have our choices-other places for subs are like Penn Station where I have yet to find something that isn't greasy...not that the right fats are not good - I just don't trust what is in stuff anymore since I HAVE TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY for knowing what goes into & on my body. I haven't become fanitical but I hope a lot smarter.

Susan ~ Interesting thought on nurses. Remember the required little hats & the white uniforms? A thing of the past! BTW- scrubs were my comfort cothes for years!
Americans "the fattest"? We Brits are catching up, and fast! When I was a child, I was taught never never to eat in the street. My mother thought it the very worst of manners! But now, people walk along cramming fast food down. It's very cold now, but in the warm weather, there's something really awful about our population exposing vast amounts of fat tummy, huge arms and gigantic thighs whilst cramming down said fast food...

And yet... when I was watching that Man v Food programme, something about those US burgers and chillis and roasts called out to me that said "Doesn't that look delicious?" And the proprieters, explaining their menus were all such extremely charming persuasive people!

And what about American ice-cream? I'd be in agony all the time. I love ice-cream! Yes without a doubt it must be 100 times more difficult dieting the other side of the Pond! We've got Subway here now too....

Nurses' uniforms! I trained at a wonderful London teaching hospital, beginning in 1973. We loved our uniform, and were very proud to wear it. Black shoes and tights, then a blue-and white stripy dress with pin-on starched collar. Then a pin-on starched apron and a student's navy buckram belt. Pin-on nurses' fob watch and name badge and white starched hat. No hair over the collar, or falling over your face! Staff nurses wore a denim bue dress, and a pretty hat like a saucer with frills! On qualifying, a new S/N was awarded the hospital's silver belt buckle. The Sisters' hat was the same, but in spotted starched muslin + a navy dress with white sleeve puffs. The uniform was hot, it was impractical, but we loved it! Something about crackling onto the ward in your spotless starched apron first thing... it made me feel confident right from the beginning.

I think the patients loved the uniforms too, because they could identify immediately who was whom! Now all the staff look the same.
miss.amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

My times have changed EVERYWHERE!

As for USA food- yep it is tasty! Owever that taste comes with a hefty price. We have a company here that virtually everyone in the world uses. They make flavors! Billions of them & they can be added to anything to make it taste like anything! That is how every can of orange juice will taste exactly alike-unlike 2 oranges. And the Micky D HAMBURGERS (golden arches) they have tasted the same since they opened when I was a little kid over 60 years ago. Ever wonder how the taste never changed? Yep this vompany can duplicate anything. But they use some weird chemicals (& stuff) to get that taste just right. I saw a news program where the company allowed them inside their secretave lab. It was shocking! No wonder things taste so good! Now companies are coming out wuth concentrated flavor packs (soup companies like Swanson & Knor) of chicken, beef, & vegetable. Not to mention our flavor packets in the spice aisle from pot roast, fahietas, meat loaf, chili... Scary what is in those! I just don't buy them any more...1st too much sodium & 2nd what the heck are "natural flavors". I know what it is in turkey products (rosemary) but others.

Weight today 167.2 so I am still bouncing around that #. Ya'll know it is hard to weigh exactly the same every day!

I feel better since I have been making my green/red (with some beet) juice every day. 7 days now! Detox has passed! When this round of vegies/fruit is finished I am going to do PP for maybe 3 days & see if I can kick start the metabolism again but this time I will let it run it's course. Won't stop it with a bag of carbs- althoug honey mustard pretzels are good (wonder what chemicals they used to make them so addictive).

Have a terrific day! I got to had to town early so I can paint gray & white to finish a room. Then to take up more carpet if I have any "round-to-it" left. Blessings!

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-08-2012 at 05:38 AM..
Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Weighing in at 153 today. Just realized that I'm down 102 pounds from my highest ever weight. The strange thing is that the fat I have left seems to be bothering me more than all that fat did at 255. Think it may be because the areas that are thin now make the areas that are still fat look worse. Hopefully the remaining pounds will come off the right places namely belly and thighs.

I won a red dress on eBay. Was less than $10 so won't be a big loss if it doesn't fit. Got a size 12 and am bidding on another dress in a size 14. Been so long since I've tried on dresses that I'm not real sure what will fit.

Have a vets appointment today. Ever try to get 3 cats into carriers without any of them knowing about the other ones? It's a trick, but I've done it with 4, so know it's possible. Afraid the vet is going to tell me one of the cats needs to go on a diet. Suppose Dukan would work for her?

Keep up the good work everyone. We're all getting healthier and healthier by the day in one way or another.

Last edited by stilldews; 02-08-2012 at 06:41 AM..
Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Sure Dukan should work for a cat- they are posed to have higher protein than a dog I think...may be the other way around. I thought you had dogs. Isn't that one in your pict?

if the 12 doesn't fit save it because it will. Can't see why a 12 won't with your weight! &mber fits in a 12 and she is much taller than you. Never know til you try.

Maybe I should buy a red dress & we can all three go out together. No way would I look as good as Amber but you will look terrific in yours.

BTW don't look at the sags! Close your eyes & coverthem up!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Besides my dog Ella, I have 3 cats, all of who outweigh her. She was 6 pounds 9 oz at the vets today and the biggest cat is 17 pounds. Thank goodness my vet is reasonal priced and even with all 4 of them getting 2 shots each the total cost was only $80.

Besides the red dress, a couple days ago I ordered some new jeans from eBay in a size 10 thinking that would motivate me to get the last 10 pounds or so off. When they arrived today they were a size 8. I tried them on and was able to zip them. A little tighter than I like, but not by much. Don't think I've ever worn size 8 jeans.

Just got back from the store and bought fruit for the first time in almost 6 months. Got one apple, one orange and 12 oz of blackberries. Ate the blackberries today with some sweetened Greek yogurt. Wonderful!! Will be interesting to see how the scale reacts and also if the carb cravings return.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Today has not been a good day. I have felt lethargic all day, didn't feel like doing much of anything. So now, I'm wondering if it is the diet or something else. Maybe I'm not eating enough. I have always been healthy, don't take any medication except for a statin so it is a puzzle. For the next few days I'll be trying to figure it out. I believe in the diet, but maybe its not for me or maybe I just need to tweek it a bit. I'll be back to see if anyone has any ideas.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Judy, Susan or Amber may chime with remembrances bjut I remeber when I went on Dukie I had a period of feeling sluggish. When you are burning fat it burns different from carbs - kinda 'LOW E'. I don't know where you are on the progress of plan (memory bad) but keep drinking water to help with flushing. Are you eating enough? You should NEVER be hungry. Push the protein & if you have some maybe you need to add some Virgin Coconut Oil. It burns like a protein & is never sored as a ft. But it isn't on Dukie but may be what you needm find a way to incorporate a teaspoon into each meal or just pop a teaspoon of the delictible stuff in your mouth & let it melt. I can't explain it but it works with thermogenics to raise your internal temp of the body & give you energy. Don't over do it thoug, cause you are doing ell & Dukieis lowerfat so you don't want to slow down. This is IMO so see what the othes have to say,

You are doing terrific! I think Susan is our expert here so se what she says!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #49

Susan- 102 pounds that is incredible!!! I am so happy for you, you have worked so hard,and size 8 jeans, yippee!!!!! What the heck are you ordering a size 14 dress for? Good lord, you are way smaller than that, you still have the fat picture in your head! I totally agree with how we look with the leftovers though, like at 350 my veins were hidden, my skin was stretched to the max, now its all saggy and gross and you want to feel good with the weight loss but you look at the remnants and think ughghg, but it is still way better to have the weight off, and we are far more critical of ourselves than others are of us!

Judy- when you give up the carbs and stuff you get what they call the induction flu, lethargy, tired, blah feeling for a few days and then it goes away, they say to eat some broth or something with a little salt for your electrolyte balance. It should pass ina day or two.

Iam- yes you need a red dress!!! When the house it done you need to dance around in it in a new red dress!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Judy, how long have yu ben on Dukan? I agree that you are probably having induction flu. Try drinking a few cups of chicken broth. The regular not the low sodium. With all the rapid weight loss at first you can really get low on sodium, magnesium and potassium. You might try using Lite Salt on your food, it has potassium and taking at least 1000 mg magnesium a day. Until your body adjusts to using your own fat as an energy source, you may feel a lot of muscle weakness. It may take a few weeks to fully convert over to getting your energy from your fat instead of carbs. Eating a little extra dairy sometimes helps too because it gives you some carbs. Sounds like what you are going through is pretty normal for starting any low carb plan, but you might check with your doctor if the problems persist once you've tried some of the ideas here. I used to get really nauseated and vomit when I first starting going into full ketosis, but on this plan you are getting enough carbs that you really shouldn't feel badly for more than a few days. Hope you can get to feeling better soon.

I didn't not win the size 14 dress I bid on and am glad. I need to go shopping one of these days and try on some things to get a better idea of what size I really am. Tried on a number of jeans yesterday that I have the ones that fit me and they ranged from 16 to 12, so size really doesn't mean a whole lot. The 8s that I can get zipped are the Not Yoour Daughter Jeans that have some stretch. Think in them 10 would have been just right for now. They are some of the best fitting jeans I have ever tried. eBay is about the only place I can find them at an affortable price.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #51

One great gal on here sent me a pair of NYDJ size 14 and now they are big, I said after this tummy when I settle I will buy one pair of jeans and it will be theirs, they are wonderful jeans and the talls have plenty of length which never happens! I know the sizes are crazy I have 2 pair of 12 pants, I still have some 18 dresses that fit, and I have a 12 dress go figure, it is best to shop for the stuff in small sizes, LOL Then you feel really good, when I was looking at my sizes to order these after surgery compression garments i am so confused, my waist is a 2X, my hips a medium WTH I guess I am going to order an XL and hope for the best, they say to order at present due to swelling, all the size charts say a 12-14 is 30-32 inch waist mine is 38 I suspect it is all the skin but geez it is depressing. I must smoosh it around that much in there, LOL I can even wear Tony's jeans that are a 34" waist, yet mine is so huge, I am really hoping he cleans this mess up royally!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Amber your doc will! Ask them to help you order the right size so you are sure to get a good fit.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Hi all, thanks for the input. Well, I took the wrong approach before I read your posts I had a bowl of steel cut oats for breakfast today. It really made me feel better, but I know was too much carbs. Okay, I have been on the plan for 12 days now and I am never hungry. I think this may be part of the problem, because I have to remember to eat. I am staying pretty much 100%Now I have a couple of questions about your suggestions.

1. Can someone explain to me in laymans terms what exactly is Ketosis? and is it a good thing?

2. Where do I find coconut oil? Do I need to go to a health food store or is it found at regular grocery stores?

3. I am going to try drinking the broth - would this be okay on a PP day or just on PV?

Okay, thats it for today. Drinking more water, eating more protein and going to start taking magnesium. What other ways are there to get potassium? I always think of bananas, but of course that is out.
judyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Potassium tablet is the easiest.

Coconut oil (virgin) health food stores carry- if you like it less costly when you get it in bulk from the Amazon Jungle. Some find it @ Wally World but becure it is Virgin Coconut Oil.

Broth IMO is good on either day. Remember it has lots of sodium but if you are feeling weak & dragged out as they suggested it may helpreturn your body to balance with the salt.

Ketosis= I have no clue! I did pure protein for 7 days & never noticed a change. Checked my body with strips & nada... So I would like to have it explained too...

Yumm steel cut oats must have made you feel better! I love them & USED to cook a lot to keep in the fridge so I could nuke them or just eat cold with milk.

I think you will find the VCO very satisfying & may notice increase in energy. NOT Dukan approved so if you try it go slow...maybe no nore than a tsp X3 daily. Great for cooking scrambled eggs in microwave. It is absorbed into the eggs....

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-09-2012 at 04:39 PM..
Old 02-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Dr Atkins talks a lot about ketosis. Here is a link that explains it fairly well. Vhttp://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm

The nice thing about it is that you are rarely ever hungery in ketosis and it is a sign that you body is burning fat, so that is good. Dukan has enough carbs that I never go into full ketosis on it. Usually you can tell by the smell of your breath and urine and also a bad taste in your mouth. I think Attack may put some people into a mild state of ketosis, but not so much that you may really notice it. Once you've been on low carb for awhile the ketones may no longer spill in your urine because you may be using them all up for energy. Like I said above, at first your body is not fully adapted to using ketones for energy and that is why you may feel weak and spill more in your urine. It can take a few weeks for you body to fully adapt to be a fat burner. On Dukan there is really not reason to test for ketones or worry about them because with the dairy you are getting a fairly good amt. of carbs, just not enough that you should get hungery.

Now that you've eaten the oats, you may notice that you feel hungery again and need to go through a few day of PP again to get that under control. As Faithful said, the broth is fine on both PP and PV days. I find it's really helpful if I start to get blurred vision. Not sure what that is a sign of, but it happens often when I first start a low carb plan and the broth clears it up really fast. Anyone else experience that problem? It may be related to low blood sugar, but that doesn't really expalin why the broth helps, so maybe it is just the sodium in it.

Potassium pills are fine if you don't like the Lite Salt. The OTC ones are very weak compared to the ones you get from your doctor, so if it is really a problem for you, I'd get a blood test. I've been on and off Potassium supplements over the years. Think it has to do with the facr that I drink so much and lose really fast at times. Not noticing much of a problem on Dukan, but haven't had any lab work done. Have an appointment next week, so will be interesting to see how it checks out.

Last edited by stilldews; 02-10-2012 at 01:12 AM..
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #56

I take a lot of potassium or with all the exercise I get leg cramps from heck!!! Ketosis, I lost 150 pounds with lc and never turned those strips purple, but I can taste it in my mouth when I am in it, it is your body burning your stored fat which is what you want!

Steel cut oats are at least a good source of carbs and made you feel better so now just jump right back on!

Broth is a good thing!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

I haven't listen to this pod cast yet, but it was just taped last night from Jimmy Moore's
Ask the Low Carb Experts about ketosis and ketone bodys . Mark Sisson is the expert. Jimmy has lots of pod casts that are very good. I especially like the Ask the Expert Ones.
5: ‘Ketosis: Devil or Angel?’ | Mark Sisson | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts

Last edited by stilldews; 02-10-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

ladies! Explains why I never noticed anyhing, no matter how I tried to reach this I was eating way too much dairy & for me that was prolly a good thing cause I have such an "interesting" body to dwell in.

This morning it woke me up screaming, "STOP THE WORLD! I want to get off!" we have a cold front coming in, I did too much pulling carpet pad & moving furniture & mattersses (queen) -it doesn't like that stuff. Plus I WAS BAD yesterday but NOT feeling one bit of guilt or shame ! I got 2 pieces of LJS FISH & ate them both! Tasted just OK -not worth the sodium. had to fight to get ring off so I could dip my hands this morning. LAST TIME TO GO THERE!!! EVER!!!

Amber, how is tushy to day? I know how hard it is to lower onto the throne with knee pain-can imagine it with a tushy & not having a padded seat

Well, almost 630am & too queezy this am to get my round-to-it going but I have to kick it in it's back side (Sorry Amber) and either puke or get moving. Carpet to pull back, base to mask, prime & paint, son & electrician coming for a full day & I get to go to pooper scooper job for 2 hours this afternoon. Better go juice! I will need the instant vitamins- gonna throw 1tsp of Amber's hampster food in it. Sweetie! It is like the napal cactus-got to find the right medium to hold it or it will scrape the throat as it goes down because the powder is so.....powdery & rough! I understand why it was for you! Don't blame you! I made just a little with water & dumped half of it. Tough (Badger tough) stuff but I figured it out! grains going out this AM- forgot to grab them on my way to town yday.

Last edited by iamfaithful; 02-10-2012 at 04:39 AM..
Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Danceruk
Stats: at goal
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: Atkins August 2008 down 45lb/VLC/HCG
eek I have lots to catch up on, waving, hello, am feeling a lot better, slowly getting there... will scoot back properly later
Danceruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

FAithful, hope you feel better now that the day is done. Just think of that LJS as your reward meal and don't fret about it. Sounds like you could stand a day of rest and relaxation. Not sure how you keep up with all you're doing. Guess if you know you have to get it done, you just keep going.

My weight is up 2 pounds this week so far. Wonder if that's from the Blackberries? I ate 12 oz of them over 2 days. Sure tasted good to have fruit again. Not going to eat any more till Sunday. The red dress arrived today and it fits perfectly. Even the length is OK. No idea where I'm going to wear it, but at least I have one dress now that fits.

Danceruk, glad you're feeling better.