Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: simplemummy
Stats: 181/150/120
WOE: healthy low fat diet
Start Date: 10 may 2007
a woman who wants to take proein shakes! but scared of bullking..help required:)

hi. i was hoping if someone who is more knowledgable on this subject could help me. i am a woman who wants to lose weight and have heard of whey protein curbing appetite. now im one of those who has thought that it is for bulking muscles and when i went into the shop to purchace was scared and overwhelmed with those massive protein shakes with images of men with massive muscles!! got scared and ran out of the shop lool!

now i know they should not be used as a meal replacment but inbeween.

btw i am 5'3 and weight 70kgs so would like to lose weight. i also live in the uk so what should i look in a protein shake. i have read that one serving should be less than 100 kcal and it is to be whey protein. also any other people who are losing weight with protein shakes i would love to hear from.

i cant wait actaully to start especially after when i exercise the next day i cannot walk loool.

thanks you guys for reading my thread and i look forward to the responses i get.

Raihana

Last edited by simplemummy; 12-29-2011 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: spelling corrections!
simplemummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
protein shakes will NOT make you bulk. At all.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: his_cinderella
Stats: 223.0/223.0/140
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: April 2013
I get mine from Wal-Mart...Cookies and Cream...or chocolate are my favorite flavors...I mix them in my blender and use them as a snack...because I am watching carbs I don't worry about calories. You won't bulk up though so don't stress about that aspect of it.
his_cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

thank you very much guys. i shall be heading of to town today and shall get some as i do feel really hungry between meals. appreciate you guys replying. will let u guys know how it goes

thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I use whey protein powder to make a shake for breakfast or lunch fairly often lately. The one I use has 26 grams of protein per scoop (1/3 cup). I use vanilla protein powder mainly then add in frozen strawberries sometimes and blend it, or frozen mixed berries. Sometimes I use coffee and add in cocoa powder and ice for a frosty mocha shake.

It keeps me full for at least a few hours, if not longer.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

thanks you Terry. that is exacty what i need. something that will stop the cravings. going to purchase it now as i have been busy with chirstmas and stuff.
thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
It usually takes around 20 minutes or so until I notice I'm not hungry at all. Then it lasts for a few hours at least.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: motsy
Some of the protein shakes contain other ingredients designed for bulking- just the regular ones are ok...
motsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newme2007
Stats: 190/150
WOE: Protein Shakes/lowcarb
Start Date: Oct 26, 2009
I had the same question about the whey protein. I'm going on the protein diet tomorrow. Thanks for answering this question.
newme2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
I bought whey protein powder for the first time a couple of months ago now, and I have to say I love the stuff! Maybe it's not considered ideal, but I use it as a meal replacement. This is my breakfast of choice these days. Nothing else is so filling, and keeps me completely satisfied until lunch time.

It certainly hasn't bulked me up, but then again I'm not someone who gains muscle easily at all. But I really don't think that's a concern. It is just protein. A very good, highly bioavailable protein, but still protein. In order for a woman to bulk up, she usually needs more help than that (hormones, steroids). I don't think you have to worry at all.

By the way, if you are a subscriber to Mark's Daily Apple, you can download a free protein shake recipe book. Lots of yummy ideas in there, just be aware that not all of them are low-carb (they are all primal, but not necessarily LC).

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coastaldahling
Stats: 235/226/145 5'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 24 Sept 08 (3rd time)
You can only bulk up if you take testosterone. LOL. No worries for a woman with normal hormone levels to bulk up.
coastaldahling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RDeschain927
Stats: (185/160/145)
WOE: SBD
Start Date: July 2012
protein shakes DO NOT cause bulking PERIOD>

Protein shakes in conjunction with weight lifting CAN cause bulking. But even then, youneed the right proportion of nutrients and theproper training to bulk up.

You'll be ok simple
RDeschain927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mtbabcock
Stats: 153/122/115
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: January 2011
I've been lifting weights for the past two years and adding a protein shake to my day for much of that time. I've also been following a plan from my trainer that has half my calories from protein (about 120 g), 30% from fats and 20% from carbs. That would be almost impossible to do without a protein shake. I use Beverly International products because my trainer recommends them -- they taste the best (the vanilla tastes like cake batter!) and they are about 120 cal and 20 g protein. I basically eat a weight lifter's diet - about 5 small (high (lean) protein/veggies/multigrain or complex carbs) meals a day. I have lost 30 pounds and more than 30 inches. I also make my chocolate protein with coffee because I only have one cup of coffee with milk per day. None of this has made me bulky, but I am defined and would like to be more defined. As my trainer says, your arms are your best accessory! Basically, if you are going to add protein shakes, you have to pay attention to your overall calories and it is also good to pay attention to your macros (protein/carbs/fats) as well. You can't simply add a protein shake to your regular intake (unless you are a guy who wants to bulk up) without removing some of those calories (carbs!) from your diet. Eating a steady amount of lean protein throughout the day helps your body burn fat and keeps you from getting too hungry.
mtbabcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Port_louis
WOE: Protein power
Start Date: 6 September 2012
Just look at how many carbs are in the protein shake,the one I am using has around 6grams of carbs and 26g of protein per serving.

Mass builders if I remember are like 50% carb and 50%protein.
Port_louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love2Lift
Stats: 193/185/150
WOE: Atkins / protein powder
Start Date: 23rd July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeschain927 View Post
protein shakes DO NOT cause bulking PERIOD>

Protein shakes in conjunction with weight lifting CAN cause bulking. But even then, youneed the right proportion of nutrients and theproper training to bulk up.

You'll be ok simple
it can, if you are a man.. or if you have high testosterone via other 'sources' as a woman.

I don't and don't.. natural lifter, and not bulky. I'm out to lose fat to enter lower weight classes but not going to be bulky as muscle is leaner than fat, it weighs the same - 1lb is 1lb whether it's fat or muscle, but muscle takes up less space than fat. it's denser and leaner than fat which is bumpy and bigger.

So.. the bulk issues are not relevant to a woman unless she steps outside of the 'natural' range (via steroids).
Love2Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: QuilterInVA
Stats: 170/148/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2013
I use Pure Protein instead of eating breakfast. Women can't bulk up like men.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote