Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   a woman who wants to take proein shakes! but scared of bullking..help required:) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/751376-woman-who-wants-take-proein-shakes-but-scared-bullking-help-required.html)

simplemummy 12-29-2011 01:12 AM

a woman who wants to take proein shakes! but scared of bullking..help required:)

hi. i was hoping if someone who is more knowledgable on this subject could help me. i am a woman who wants to lose weight and have heard of whey protein curbing appetite. now im one of those who has thought that it is for bulking muscles and when i went into the shop to purchace was scared and overwhelmed with those massive protein shakes with images of men with massive muscles!! got scared and ran out of the shop lool!

now i know they should not be used as a meal replacment but inbeween.

btw i am 5'3 and weight 70kgs so would like to lose weight. i also live in the uk so what should i look in a protein shake. i have read that one serving should be less than 100 kcal and it is to be whey protein. also any other people who are losing weight with protein shakes i would love to hear from.

i cant wait actaully to start especially after when i exercise the next day i cannot walk loool.

thanks you guys for reading my thread and i look forward to the responses i get.

Raihana

ouizoid 12-29-2011 07:16 AM

protein shakes will NOT make you bulk. At all.

his_cinderella 12-29-2011 09:44 PM

I get mine from Wal-Mart...Cookies and Cream...or chocolate are my favorite flavors...I mix them in my blender and use them as a snack...because I am watching carbs I don't worry about calories. You won't bulk up though so don't stress about that aspect of it.

simplemummy 12-30-2011 02:57 AM

thank you very much guys. i shall be heading of to town today and shall get some as i do feel really hungry between meals. appreciate you guys replying. will let u guys know how it goes

thanks

watcher513 01-03-2012 04:16 AM

I use whey protein powder to make a shake for breakfast or lunch fairly often lately. The one I use has 26 grams of protein per scoop (1/3 cup). I use vanilla protein powder mainly then add in frozen strawberries sometimes and blend it, or frozen mixed berries. Sometimes I use coffee and add in cocoa powder and ice for a frosty mocha shake.

It keeps me full for at least a few hours, if not longer.

simplemummy 01-03-2012 04:40 AM

thanks you Terry. that is exacty what i need. something that will stop the cravings. going to purchase it now as i have been busy with chirstmas and stuff.
thanks

watcher513 01-05-2012 01:38 AM

It usually takes around 20 minutes or so until I notice I'm not hungry at all. Then it lasts for a few hours at least.

motsy 01-06-2012 05:27 PM

Some of the protein shakes contain other ingredients designed for bulking- just the regular ones are ok...

newme2007 01-08-2012 02:50 PM

I had the same question about the whey protein. I'm going on the protein diet tomorrow. Thanks for answering this question.

Gretalyn 01-12-2012 06:52 AM

I bought whey protein powder for the first time a couple of months ago now, and I have to say I love the stuff! Maybe it's not considered ideal, but I use it as a meal replacement. This is my breakfast of choice these days. Nothing else is so filling, and keeps me completely satisfied until lunch time.

It certainly hasn't bulked me up, but then again I'm not someone who gains muscle easily at all. But I really don't think that's a concern. It is just protein. A very good, highly bioavailable protein, but still protein. In order for a woman to bulk up, she usually needs more help than that (hormones, steroids). I don't think you have to worry at all.

By the way, if you are a subscriber to Mark's Daily Apple, you can download a free protein shake recipe book. Lots of yummy ideas in there, just be aware that not all of them are low-carb (they are all primal, but not necessarily LC).

coastaldahling 01-22-2012 03:25 PM

You can only bulk up if you take testosterone. LOL. No worries for a woman with normal hormone levels to bulk up.

RDeschain927 08-17-2012 12:25 PM

protein shakes DO NOT cause bulking PERIOD>

Protein shakes in conjunction with weight lifting CAN cause bulking. But even then, youneed the right proportion of nutrients and theproper training to bulk up.

You'll be ok simple

mtbabcock 09-03-2012 02:31 PM

I've been lifting weights for the past two years and adding a protein shake to my day for much of that time. I've also been following a plan from my trainer that has half my calories from protein (about 120 g), 30% from fats and 20% from carbs. That would be almost impossible to do without a protein shake. I use Beverly International products because my trainer recommends them -- they taste the best (the vanilla tastes like cake batter!) and they are about 120 cal and 20 g protein. I basically eat a weight lifter's diet - about 5 small (high (lean) protein/veggies/multigrain or complex carbs) meals a day. I have lost 30 pounds and more than 30 inches. I also make my chocolate protein with coffee because I only have one cup of coffee with milk per day. None of this has made me bulky, but I am defined and would like to be more defined. As my trainer says, your arms are your best accessory! Basically, if you are going to add protein shakes, you have to pay attention to your overall calories and it is also good to pay attention to your macros (protein/carbs/fats) as well. You can't simply add a protein shake to your regular intake (unless you are a guy who wants to bulk up) without removing some of those calories (carbs!) from your diet. Eating a steady amount of lean protein throughout the day helps your body burn fat and keeps you from getting too hungry.

Port_louis 09-06-2012 01:31 AM

Just look at how many carbs are in the protein shake,the one I am using has around 6grams of carbs and 26g of protein per serving. :)

Mass builders if I remember are like 50% carb and 50%protein.

Love2Lift 07-28-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDeschain927 (Post 15879931)
protein shakes DO NOT cause bulking PERIOD>

Protein shakes in conjunction with weight lifting CAN cause bulking. But even then, youneed the right proportion of nutrients and theproper training to bulk up.

You'll be ok simple

it can, if you are a man.. or if you have high testosterone via other 'sources' as a woman.

I don't and don't.. natural lifter, and not bulky. I'm out to lose fat to enter lower weight classes but not going to be bulky as muscle is leaner than fat, it weighs the same - 1lb is 1lb whether it's fat or muscle, but muscle takes up less space than fat. it's denser and leaner than fat which is bumpy and bigger.

So.. the bulk issues are not relevant to a woman unless she steps outside of the 'natural' range (via steroids).

QuilterInVA 07-28-2013 03:00 PM

I use Pure Protein instead of eating breakfast. Women can't bulk up like men.