Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   PJ's *Muddd'ing* (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/748378-pjs-muddding.html)

kel7298 12-07-2011 04:58 PM

PJ's *Muddd'ing*

Support Thread for those that are interested.

This WOE is the brain child of PirateJenny from the JUDDD board. Thanks PJ!

The original inspiration can be found here

The base of the diet (correct me if I am wrong) is to eat the allotted calories (in each cycle) within a 20 hour time period with a 4 hour (fast) in between.

Cycle 1 consists of 500/600 calories (DD).
Cycle 2 consists of 1600/1900 calories (UD)

Example:

Start DD @ 6 pm - Consume no more than 500/600 calories from 6:00 pm today until 2:00 pm tomorrow - 4 hr fast. Start UD @ 6:00 pm - Consume no more than 1600/1900 calories from 6:00 pm this day until 2:00 pm the next day - 4 hour fast. Repeat.

piratejenny 12-07-2011 05:06 PM

You're welcome! Thanks for starting this thread, and for a very clear explanation!

The calories in the example are the OP's; everyone will have different allotments. :)

ETA:
That is, everybody needs to use a calculator like the one on the original JUDDD "Alternate Day Diet" site.
Also, the 500-calorie Down Day is recommended for the 2-week induction phase.
DD allotment will go up for most people, after that--although some prefer to stick to the 500 calories.

kel7298 12-07-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15233401)

The calories in the example are the OP's; everyone will have different allotments. :)

You are correct! What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

pjsam1156 12-07-2011 05:09 PM

great idea Kelly!!:jumpjoy:

ouizoid 12-07-2011 05:39 PM

I'll be following with interest--

mttemple4 12-07-2011 05:46 PM

Yay! Thanks for starting this! I've been reading the MUDDD thread with great interest as my down days are quite the challenge for me (and I'm testing what they do to my blood sugars this week).

Woo-hoo!

pjsam1156 12-07-2011 07:38 PM

I am prediabetic, but from everything I know about diabetes (my dad had it), it seems that JUDDDing could be a prob w/blood sugar. So, MUDDD just might be the thing for those people, especially:jumpjoy:

E.W. 12-08-2011 01:28 AM

In the book Dr. Johnson does say if you are an insulin dependent diabetic this plan
would probably be to hard for you. But would probably be ok for a type 2 diabetic still
making insulin. So as a pre diabetic you shouldn't have any problems and it may verry
well lower your insulin resistance.

jessreadytolose 12-08-2011 04:14 AM

Yay! SO glad to see this this morning!

PirateJenny, you are famous!!!

Today's menu:

B- Up day, 2 slices Udi's bread with butter, 2 eggs, 3 slices Canadian bacon, 1 coffee

L- Up day, Turkey burger with Kerrygold Dubliner cheese,
100 calorie popcorn, Plain greek yogurt with unsweetened cocoa

D- Down day, Shirataki mac and cheese with ham (2 laughing cow, 3 slices Canadian bacon)

Total cals for day: 1,205

Today's exercise: Yogalosophy dvd
Total calories:

kel7298 12-08-2011 06:40 AM

My Muddd'ing at least for the next couple days will look like this.

Today - UD until 3:00 pm, switch to DD @ 7:00 pm - 3:00 pm tomorrow, back to UD @ 7:00 pm - 3:00 pm Sat.

sophiethecat 12-08-2011 07:47 AM

Hey guys, nice to see you here! I just now followed the bread crumb (or cookie crumb!) trail over here :laugh:

I'm using MUDDD to maintain and I have FDs with it, so it feels very freeing indeed! :up: I adjust things as needed for whatever is going on as far as my schedule, events, special occasions, etc. so that makes it a lifetime woe that doesn't feel restrictive at all. Of course, I'm in maintenance, so I can be looser with it. If I were still trying to lose weight, I'd go back to counting calories like a regular UD.

Anyway, I've been doing my basic MUDDD schedule like this - today I'll have a DD until between 5 - 7 p.m. and then I can start FD eating again. Tomorrow, I'll switch back to DD eating between 5 - 7 p.m. and so on.

caramel 12-08-2011 10:12 AM

I have a question, I have been doing regular JUDDD and today is an UD, I usually eat around 1800 cal. If I wanted to do MUDDD do I still eat all those calories until around for example 3:00 fast for 4 hours and start my DD at 7:00 until 3:00 the next day?

kel7298 12-08-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caramel (Post 15235047)
I have a question, I have been doing regular JUDDD and today is an UD, I usually eat around 1800 cal. If I wanted to do MUDDD do I still eat all those calories until around for example 3:00 fast for 4 hours and start my DD at 7:00 until 3:00 the next day?

I am in the same predicament today but really want to do Muddd the next couple days for sure. I plan on eating a nice lunch, then have a snack around 3. I am not really going to worry about getting all my UD calories in today. I might be a bit low today, but I will make up for it. Good Luck!

piratejenny 12-08-2011 10:33 AM

No, I wouldn't try to get in all my UD calories...maybe about 2/3 of them.

Or, do your regular UD today and start your DD tomorrow, but then have an UD dinner.
In other words, tomorrow would be 2/3 of a DD.
Depends on your schedule for the weekend, but for example that could work if you want to do/eat something special Friday night.

That's how I "accidentally" started this...got too hungry on a DD and then had a big dinner!!! :doh:

betty301 12-08-2011 10:41 AM

I'd like to try this.
Been doin regular JUDDD for almost 2 months..with a 5 lb loss..kinda slow, but I'll take it!

I have hard time getting in my UD cals, so I think MUDDD would work well.

Does anyone have comparable results between the two?

sophiethecat 12-08-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty301 (Post 15235140)
I'd like to try this.
Been doin regular JUDDD for almost 2 months..with a 5 lb loss..kinda slow, but I'll take it!

I have hard time getting in my UD cals, so I think MUDDD would work well.

Does anyone have comparable results between the two?

If you mean as far as weight loss, I have lost equally well both ways. I reached my first goal weight while MUDDDg and my second goal weight while JUDDDg.

:)

piratejenny 12-08-2011 02:50 PM

I never mentioned this on the other thread, but there are at least 2 versions to the plan, if you're going by meals and not just cut-off times:

(bold are UD meals):
Pattern #1:
Breakfast Lunch Dinner Breakfast Lunch Dinner Breakfast Lunch Dinner etc

Pattern #2:
Breakfast Lunch Dinner Breakfast Lunch Dinner Breakfast Lunch Dinner

Pattern #3:
Brunch Dinner Breakfast Lunch Dinner Brunch Dinner Breakfast Lunch

Personally, my DDs are more of a snacking thing, or save-my-calories-for-one-meal thing, rather than 3 meals, but it helps me keep it straight in my head if I think of the "days" as 3 meals, especially if I need to bump one over to accommodate a social event or get back on track if an Up Day has gotten away from me! :laugh:

I think I may be trying #2 or #3 soon, because on the Up Days of Breakfast Lunch Dinner, I have a big breakfast and am not really hungry for lunch, so I get hungry too late and have a hard time sticking to my cut-off time.

And...I wasn't thinking of it when I came up with the name, but I am really happy that we can call ourselves MUDDDers because I am big "Firefly" fan!!! :yahoo:

leonak 12-08-2011 05:27 PM

This sounds so much better for me then JUDD.

I am mixed up a bit because of the times :dunno:

I usually have breakfast about 6:30 a.m.; lunch is 11 a.m.; dinner is 4:30. If I snack it is in the evening about 7 p.m. (this night snack is often a beer or other "drink" )

Being retired I like the big meal of the day the middle meal of the day!

Do you think I can do this using these hours? I would have from 8 p.m to 6:30 a.m. with no food or drink - about 10 hours!

ps - what is ""Firefly" fan!!! ??

sophiethecat 12-08-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15235720)
II am really happy that we can call ourselves MUDDDers because I am big "Firefly" fan!!! :yahoo:

Like I said in another post, you had me at Buffy :heart: :laugh:

kel7298 12-08-2011 06:07 PM

Hi

The times were just used for example purposes to indicate a 24 hr day.

How does this sound:

Lets say we are going to start this tomorrow. Start with a UD day. First day will be a little mixed up as we are not doing a full UD day. Only eat approx 2/3 of your allotted calories for this first day. After today, you will eat your full allotment of calories for each cycle (UD or DD) that runs from 4:30 pm to 12:30 pm which is your schedule based on the times you indicated that you like to eat.

First UD Schedule
UD breakfast @ 6:30
UD lunch @ 11:00
Snack @ 12:30 if needed and have extra calories
4 hour fast transitions you to a DD

DD Schedule
DD dinner @ 4:30
Snack @ 7:00 if calories allowed
Sleep
DD breakfast @ 6:30
DD lunch @ 11:00
Snack @ 12:30 if applicable
4 hour fast transitions you to UD

UD Schedule
UD dinner @ 4:30
Snack @ 7:00
Sleep -
UD breakfast @ 6:30
UD lunch @ 11:00
Snack @ 12:30
4 hour fast transitions you to DD

Repeat DD schedule

This gives you the 20 hr day with a 4 hr fast between cycles

Does that make sense? Or have I thoroughly confused you..lol

piratejenny 12-08-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15236133)
Like I said in another post, you had me at Buffy :heart: :laugh:

:love: :heart: :) :heart:

betty301 12-09-2011 06:22 AM

where does 2/3 cals come from?

what about 1/2?
seems that would be easier for someone like me who isn't that good at math:hyst:

piratejenny 12-09-2011 06:27 AM

2/3 comes from eating 2 of one's regular 3 meals.

betty301 12-09-2011 07:37 AM

oooh! got it, lol!

sophiethecat 12-11-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonak (Post 15236059)
This sounds so much better for me then JUDD.

I am mixed up a bit because of the times :dunno:

I usually have breakfast about 6:30 a.m.; lunch is 11 a.m.; dinner is 4:30. If I snack it is in the evening about 7 p.m. (this night snack is often a beer or other "drink" )

Being retired I like the big meal of the day the middle meal of the day!

Do you think I can do this using these hours? I would have from 8 p.m to 6:30 a.m. with no food or drink - about 10 hours!

Since you like lunch to be the biggest meal, you could use all or most of your DD calories for lunchtime when it's that time in your schedule. Sometimes I do that too.

sophiethecat 12-11-2011 08:50 AM

Just checking in and wondering how all the fellow Muddders are doing? :)

kel7298 12-11-2011 08:59 AM

I really haven't been muddding or juddding the last couple days. I had to attend parties Fri & Sat, so basically I have fasted breakfast and lunch, then indulged in the festivities.

sophiethecat 12-11-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel7298 (Post 15241250)
I really haven't been muddding or juddding the last couple days. I had to attend parties Fri & Sat, so basically I have fasted breakfast and lunch, then indulged in the festivities.

I've done that as well a few times in the last couple weeks - part of my maintenance plan to make the woe work around my life rather than always trying to plan my life (events and whatnot) around my woe.

piratejenny 12-11-2011 10:48 AM

I'm doing well!

After almost 5 weeks of being stuck mostly around 276-278, this happened:

Tue: 278.4
Wed: 277.6 <---ate 2 or 3 donuts, ravioli
Thu: 277.6 <---ate a couple more donuts, eggplant parm, Italian bread (small roll)
Fri : 276.6 <---lots of bacon, another roll; shirataki noodles for dinner
Sat: 274.2 <---some more bacon, another roll
Sun: 273.0 (today)

(ETA: I haven't eaten donuts in a few years! That's not a regular thing!!! :o)

I had started thinking that if my stall didn't break soon, I would either:
go low-carb again,
or start exercising more,
or do the induction phase again,
or do "real" JUDDD. :(

But, I don't want to give up on MUDDDing! :laugh:
I feel like I've taken some flak for thinking outside the box & coming up with this plan.
Having to admit that it wasn't working for me would be a nightmare!
I'm so glad it seems to have started kicking in again!

Also, for a while my a.m. fasting blood sugar had suddenly been really amazing; then for a couple weeks it went up 15-25 points; now it's down again. Yesterday it was 105 and this morning it was 101. Also, I tested before dinner the last two days (hadn't eaten for 6-7 hours) and got an 85 and an 80!!! :faint:

I'll have to track it for a couple of months, but I'm wondering if these ups & downs are related to my cycle and not just diet changes.

mttemple4 12-11-2011 10:51 AM

I'm trying this out starting today. I've been doing JUDDD for three weeks and I can safely say I have never had a 500 calorie down day. LOL I've come close, but part of my issue is there's no earthly way I can skip breakfast and/or lunch. I have always been hungry in the morning. I don't even like it on vacation when you have to shower and get dressed before you can go out to eat breakfast. :laugh: I am also going away starting on Saturday and rather than throw in the towel I'd like to see how this goes then as well. Even in my not perfect JUDDDing I'm losing and eating fewer calories than I have in years.

Yesterday ended up being a medium day so I just jumped in this morning with a down day breakfast and lunch. I'll switch to UD for dinner and proceed from there.

I'm excited to see how this goes. I've read all the threads and know that this might not work in all the magical ways JUDDD works :laugh: but it will surely work better than a too-high down day followed by a no-problem-eating-all-these-calories up day. :hyst: