Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Glad that mini-stall broke, PJ!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
I'm trying this out starting today. I've been doing JUDDD for three weeks and I can safely say I have never had a 500 calorie down day. LOL I've come close, but part of my issue is there's no earthly way I can skip breakfast and/or lunch. I have always been hungry in the morning. I don't even like it on vacation when you have to shower and get dressed before you can go out to eat breakfast. I am also going away starting on Saturday and rather than throw in the towel I'd like to see how this goes then as well. Even in my not perfect JUDDDing I'm losing and eating fewer calories than I have in years.

Yesterday ended up being a medium day so I just jumped in this morning with a down day breakfast and lunch. I'll switch to UD for dinner and proceed from there.

I'm excited to see how this goes. I've read all the threads and know that this might not work in all the magical ways JUDDD works but it will surely work better than a too-high down day followed by a no-problem-eating-all-these-calories up day.
How's it going so far?
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Thanks for asking, Kelly!

I'm definitely loving it so far, and I found out right away that I was able to stick to down day numbers more easily this way. I keep track on the Lose It app and that's a little difficult to wrap my head around--it's just easier when the calories are all on one day. Lol

I am going to Disney World Saturday for 5 days but will be right back on track when I get back, and likely semi on track even while I'm there.

Everyone should check out Sophie's post on the JUDDD board!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #34
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I'm watching this new forum with curiosity and interest to see how it goes for you guys.

I do have a ? though. I wake up at 9 am and don't start eating usually until about 11 am or 12 noon, UD or DD. I then eat until about 10, sometimes a snack at 11 pm. I am doing 11 most days and 12 very occasionally in hours, per say of eating on my UD or DD and then I go to bed and start again, mostly the same times starting and stopping.

How is this different from what you guys are doing? As I see it you are still eating 12 hours a day, only breaking it up with sleep in the middle of an UP or DD, waking up, finishing the UD or DD then not eating for 4 hours and starting again with your UD or DD. Where I eat for a full 11 or occasionally 12 hours, you guys eat 12 hours but in split sifts. Right?

I just don't get it? Isn't it the same as JUDDD but you just split up your DD and UD in different time frames?

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 12-14-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
As I see it you are still eating 12 hours a day, only breaking it up with sleep in the middle of an UP or DD, waking up, finishing the UD or DD then not eating for 4 hours and starting again with your UD or DD. Where I eat for a full 11 or occasionally 12 hours, you guys eat 12 hours but in split shifts. Right?
I don't think these "shifts" that you describe are what defines JUDDD.
And I wouldn't describe what "we" are doing as "split shifts". So, disregarding that for now...

This is the difference between JUDDDing and MUDDDing:

By your own description, your Up Day eating window is about 12 hours. Then (I think*) you sleep, have your Down Day, and sleep again before starting your next Up Day. So, in a sense, your Up Day is 12 hours and your Down Day is 36 hours.

With MUDDDing, they are each 24 hours.

*You recently posted about being out dancing with friends and ordering pizza before or after midnight depending on whether it was an UD or DD for you. When I read that, I thought, "Aha! She's MUDDDing and she doesn't even know it!"

Quote:
I just don't get it? Isn't it the same as JUDDD but you just split up your DD and UD in different time frames?
Several people have questioned whether this shorter fasting period has the same benefits as "real" JUDDD; that is, whether it is effective in activating the SIRT1 gene. I can't answer that, since as far as I know there is nothing like ketostix to test it at home! However, it is closer to the original studies that Dr Johnson used to develop JUDDD: mice fed ad lib for 24 hours then fasted for 24 hours.

So, yes, IMO, I am JUDDDing. I just re-named it because some people seemed to be annoyed that I found an even easier way to do it!

I hope that helped!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Yep exactly what PJ said; 24 hrs instead of 36, plus the added bonus of getting at least 1 filling/decent meal a day.

Day 1
B- UD
L - UD
D - DD

Day 2
B - DD
L - DD
D - UD

Repeat

Last edited by kel7298; 12-15-2011 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Add
Old 12-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #37

Thanks Kel and PJ for the info and helping me to better understand!

Best of luck to all of you trying this MUDDD WOE!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
so--another question, PJ. Do you think I could do MUDDDing while on vacay at Disney over Christmas? My husband makes reservations at AMAZING restaurants every day--but for different meals. Could I eat DD style all day but UD style at each reservation meal? (Like, we have a dinner reservation on Christmas Eve, a reservation for breakfast on Christmas morning, I think one for lunch the next day, etc.) Would I at least maintain? I just don't want to gain; I don't care if I lose for those 6 days. thanks in advance
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
so--another question, PJ. Do you think I could do MUDDDing while on vacay at Disney over Christmas? My husband makes reservations at AMAZING restaurants every day--but for different meals. Could I eat DD style all day but UD style at each reservation meal? (Like, we have a dinner reservation on Christmas Eve, a reservation for breakfast on Christmas morning, I think one for lunch the next day, etc.) Would I at least maintain? I just don't want to gain; I don't care if I lose for those 6 days. thanks in advance
I know you didn't direct this at me, but I want to chime in anyway

I think if all you want to do is maintain while on vacation as long as you don't go over your daily maintenance calories for your weight you should be fine. Once you get home, then you can easily get back into your routine.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel7298 View Post
I know you didn't direct this at me, but I want to chime in anyway

I think if all you want to do is maintain while on vacation as long as you don't go over your daily maintenance calories for your weight you should be fine. Once you get home, then you can easily get back into your routine.
thanks!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
so--another question, PJ. Do you think I could do MUDDDing while on vacay at Disney over Christmas? My husband makes reservations at AMAZING restaurants every day--but for different meals. Could I eat DD style all day but UD style at each reservation meal? (Like, we have a dinner reservation on Christmas Eve, a reservation for breakfast on Christmas morning, I think one for lunch the next day, etc.) Would I at least maintain?
I can't really answer that question since I haven't done this very long, much less tried to maintain! I do think if you ate lightly all day except for one big meal, it would be much like our "Mixed Up" Down Days. But you may want to throw in a couple days where you eat two "Up Day" meals, or at least a normal breakfast + your meal out. Otherwise it's going to be rather like doing a week of Down Days.

Also, my understanding is most people get in a lot of walking at Disney! If you're getting more than your usual exercise, you might need more food than just one meal a day and a couple snacks so that you don't feel tired, weak, or cranky!

Quote:
I think if all you want to do is maintain while on vacation as long as you don't go over your daily maintenance calories for your weight you should be fine.
The only problem I see with that is that it's very hard to know the exact calories you're getting in a restaurant meal. And do you enjoy a meal as much when you're trying to calculate how many calories you've had?

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-15-2011 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: fix quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
PS--the other thing is, weight loss may be a little slower with this schedule.

I don't mind that at all right now, plus I'd rather have a WOE I can stick with long-term instead of something I feel I'd use only as long as it takes to lose the weight.

But for anyone in maintenance, obviously that's not a concern and I think this could work quite well!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
PS--the other thing is, weight loss may be a little slower with this schedule.

I don't mind that at all right now, plus I'd rather have a WOE I can stick with long-term instead of something I feel I'd use only as long as it takes to lose the weight.

But for anyone in maintenance, obviously that's not a concern and I think this could work quite well!
I'm of the mindset that if it ain't broke, why fix it and what I mean is I have had no problem doing JUDDD as I have been since Aug 1 and what gave me the magic to lose all the weight I did in record time. It's not a "one size fits all" world so whatever works for each of us is the right way for us. I don't have a regular schedule like many do so the MUDDD rotation would not work out well for me at all. Plus, like sazzy said in your other thread on the JUDDD forum I would have a hard time remembering what to do when. I can't even remember my name at times, never mind remember to switch my DD to UD in the middle of the day, per say!

I think it's really that so many are finding your MUDDD a WOE that is working for them and it's good to see you have a forum that explains it so well and will give fellow MUDDDers support! WTG, Kel for starting this and again, good luck to everyone here!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Hmmm--I was thinking about combining this with my fast-5 (I eat only during a 5 hour window, 11 to 4 pm, usually 2 meals in that time). JUDDDing alone doesn't work all that well for me. I feel like I binge a bit on my UD (1800 cals are just too much for me), and I'm so ravenous on my DD that I can't get much work done.

So here's a possible plan: my DD meal each day will be 250 calories; my UD meal each day will be 750 cals, and I'll alternate them between morning and afternoon.

M 3:30 pm DD meal 250 cal
T 11:30 am DD meal 250 cal;

T 3:30 UD meal 750 cal
W: 11:30 am UD meal 750 cal;

W 3:30 pm DD meal 250 cal
Th: 11:30 am DD meal 250 cal;

Th 3:30 UD meal 750 cal
Fr: 11:30 am UD meal 750 cal;

Fri 3:30 pm DD meal 250 cal
Sat: 11:30 am DD meal 250 cal;

Sat 3:30 UD meal 750 cal
Sun 11:30 am UD meal 750 cal;

Sun 3:30 MD meal 500
Mon 11:30 MD meal 500

Last edited by tiva; 12-15-2011 at 04:16 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I can't really answer that question since I haven't done this very long, much less tried to maintain! I do think if you ate lightly all day except for one big meal, it would be much like our "Mixed Up" Down Days. But you may want to throw in a couple days where you eat two "Up Day" meals, or at least a normal breakfast + your meal out. Otherwise it's going to be rather like doing a week of Down Days.

Also, my understanding is most people get in a lot of walking at Disney! If you're getting more than your usual exercise, you might need more food than just one meal a day and a couple snacks so that you don't feel tired, weak, or cranky!

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Yep--we do TONS of walking at Disney--miles per day! So, many times, I DO maintain after a week there. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

PirateJenny and others--is there any reason we can't talk about MUDDD over on the JUDDD section? It seems to fit in so well over there, because it's just another variant (I think!). That way we could have a number of different threads discussing different aspects of MUDDD, if that's what people wanted to discuss.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I had a breakthrough--or what I hope is one, anyway! This summer, when I was losing weight on intermittent fasting, I usually had one LC meal a day (6 oz protein, a couple cups of veggies, with as much added fat as I wanted in the form of cheese, butter, or coconut oil). And then I had a minute muffin as well, either for my first meal that broke my fast, or for the afternoon meal. Each day I made a different minute muffin, with 3 T of almond meal and coconut (mixed), 1/2 T of butter, an egg, and some berries or shredded cheese. I lost really steadily (for me, anyway--I was also exercising a couple hours a day, cycling or kayaking).

I just realized that I can replicate this really easily on MUDDD. For my UD meal on MUDDD, I can have my regular meal: protein, veggies, cheese or butter. For my DD meals, I can make my minute muffin, which is full of yummy fat and comes to about 250 calories.

SO here's my current MUDDD plan (same as above but with minute muffins for the 250 cal meals). Solid meals will be about 750 cals and will include good protein (6 ounce grassfed or wild or pastured source), 1 to 2 cups veggies, plus added fat as desired. This means that each calendar day I will have one meal and one minute muffin, and each 24 hour cycle will cycle UD meals with a 24 hour DD muffin cycle.

M 11:30 U meal

M 3:30 pm D muffin
T 11:30 am D muffin

T 3:30 U meal
W: 11:30 am U meal

repeat...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
PirateJenny and others--is there any reason we can't talk about MUDDD over on the JUDDD section? It seems to fit in so well over there, because it's just another variant (I think!). That way we could have a number of different threads discussing different aspects of MUDDD, if that's what people wanted to discuss.
It was suggested that we NOT post this thread over there.
The thread in which I first suggested it is still active, though:
24hrUD/24hrDD experiment
I'm sure we can discuss it in that section...it is JUDDD, after all...if anybody takes exception, they can ask a moderator to move the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
I just realized that I can replicate this really easily on MUDDD. For my UD meal on MUDDD, I can have my regular meal: protein, veggies, cheese or butter. For my DD meals, I can make my minute muffin, which is full of yummy fat and comes to about 250 calories.
That sounds great! I hope this works for you!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #49

Quote:
It was suggested that we NOT post this thread over there. :annoyed:
The thread in which I first suggested it is still active, though:
24hrUD/24hrDD experiment
I'm sure we can discuss it in that section...it is JUDDD, after all...if anybody takes exception, they can ask a moderator to move the thread.
Yes, I made this suggestion, but what you have failed to finish telling here is that the reason I did this was because I was concerned that newbies coming onto our JUDDD forum and trying to learn about it would become confused with JUDDD and MUDDD and not give EITHER a fighting chance. And yes the thread is still running because there are people interested in your MUDDD, which is a good thing.

Time for me to go back to the JUDDD forum and not visit here again since my questions have been answered so nicely and clearly for me to better understand the MUDDD WOE. Again, the best of luck to any and all who have decided to try PJ's MUDDD and I wish you ALL the most wonderful success you can have.

Last edited by Beeb; 12-15-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry, I didn't remember who made the suggestion.
Didn't mean for Beeb to take the "" personally.

ETA:
In fact, I didn't look up or quote that post because I didn't want to "call out" that person or start an argument.
My attempt at diplomacy backfired. Oh, those darn emoticons!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-15-2011 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: ETA
Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Day 1 MUDDD for me: start at 136.8 lbs
DD meal 11:30 am--minute muffin 250 cals
UD meal 3:30 pm--chicken, cheese, squash, eggplant aim for 700 cals
Old 12-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't remember who made the suggestion.
Didn't mean for Beeb to take the "" personally.

ETA:
In fact, I didn't look up or quote that post because I didn't want to "call out" that person or start an argument.
My attempt at diplomacy backfired. Oh, those darn emoticons!!!
Don't worry--you can always send her a private message and explain. I do see her point though, newbies have a hard enough time understanding JUDDD, mostly because they are getting their info through us and not the book. (me included)
So, MUDDD may confuse them more.
I know it took me about 4 weeks to understand all the intricacies of just JUDDD However, I AM a slow learner.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Juddd is very simple to follow. Easiest woe I ever followed.

When I get my weight off I will be looking into muddd
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
...newbies have a hard enough time understanding JUDDD...MUDDD may confuse them more.
Right...but...I just don't agree, in general, with making information harder to find because some people might find it difficult to understand!

And, I was immediately intimidated by the 500 calorie* days;
if I had known that this schedule was an option, I might have tried JUDDD 10 months earlier! I could have been a lot thinner & healthier by now!

*I also didn't look into it deeply enough to realize that this is mostly for the induction period, that DD calories are based on one's weight, activity, and a percentage of UD calories, or that different percentages can be used.

But..now that I think about it...maybe MORE people will stumble across it here than if it had been posted in the JUDDD section!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Right...but...I just don't agree, in general, with making information harder to find because some people might find it difficult to understand!

And, I was immediately intimidated by the 500 calorie* days;
if I had known that this schedule was an option, I might have tried JUDDD 10 months earlier! I could have been a lot thinner & healthier by now!

*I also didn't look into it deeply enough to realize that this is mostly for the induction period, that DD calories are based on one's weight, activity, and a percentage of UD calories, or that different percentages can be used.

But..now that I think about it...maybe MORE people will stumble across it here than if it had been posted in the JUDDD section!
I see your points as well. This is why I was never on the debate team in high school!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

How is everyone doing? Muddding is sure helping me get thru this holiday season.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
How is everyone doing? Muddding is sure helping me get thru this holiday season.
It's going awesome

I modified a little more on the "FD to DD crossover" in the evening... Now I pretty much have a FD all day until bed (where I would normally be starting DD by evening) and then when I wake up, it's DD until the next evening. But usually I don't feel hungry til sometime in the afternoon and then I can get in a real good meal and that holds me over until FD starts again in the p.m.

So it's super easy and yet I still get in at least 18 hours of fasting-near fasting every other day.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
It's going awesome

....it's super easy and yet I still get in at least 18 hours of fasting-near fasting every other day.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt!

I'm trying a few days of Low Carb Up Day/Atkins Fat Fast on the regular JUDDD schedule, to see if my blood sugar improves.

On Monday, I had my Up Day breakfast then decided to start my "Fat Fast" on the MUDDD schedule--but was SO hungry I ate/drank about 800 calories between 5pm and bedtime! I didn't feel I could get through to dinner the next day on 200 calories so I just had a regular Up Day yesterday. TOM arrived in the afternoon, which could explain the hunger of the previous 3-4 days. Counted/estimated UD calories for the first time in a long time, but a huge brunch of 700 cal, dinner of 1000 cal, and 120 cal of cream in coffee left me 580 calories short of my 2400 calorie allowance! I crammed in a small turkey & cheese wrap...300 calories...hmmm...could it be that I've been stalling out because I've not been eating enough??!!

Anyway, today I've had nothing but 4oz of cheese and 3oz of light cream in decaf coffee (626 cal), and I am feeling SO much better than I did on low-fat DDs! I've been busy around the house with laundry, dishes, and cooking a big batch of veggie burgers for my son, then took a trip to the grocery store. My blood sugar today after a few hours of not eating was 105; on DDs it went down to 80-85 a few times and even though that is a "normal" reading, I got shaky and ravenous, and ending up eating for 2 hours straight!

On DDs I am usually freezing, and tormented by any mention/glimpse of food; today I have felt warm and not only went shopping but read recipes and opened random threads on this forum...usually too risky and tempting!!!

It's too soon to claim a pattern, but this could be pretty dang cool!
I hope my BG is good tomorrow morning!!!

I am starting to get a little hungry now...but have almost 400-600 calories left. I'm going to have some chicken broth with cream & ghee, maybe poach an egg yolk or two it.

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-21-2011 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, BG was 128 this morning.
Last few days: 130, 127, 119, 133, 115, 112.
Still, I suspect it could have something to do with TOM.
Will continue to observe to see if there's a pattern.

Possible side effect of Fat Fast:
Too much energy!
I think I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night!
Spent 2 hours trying to fall asleep, then got up at 6 to take my son to the bus stop.
I usually go back to sleep for a few hours, but have been up since then.

Saw a slightly new low today, though: 272.8.
Not bad, considering I usually weigh about 4 hours later!
And it's the middle of TOM, and I was up to 275-276 for the last week.
Hoping for a little whoosh before Christmas!

I guess this is a slightly odd place to post this, but don't know where else to go right now...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Pj I think posting here is as good a place as any.

i can't help you any. Buti read all post with interest.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote