Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
how much fasting is too much?

I've recently told a few people how I fast for most of the day and then eat a meal and I'm done. They look at me like I'm nuts. I try to leave a window of about three hours open, where I can eat low carb. Well, I realized that I eat (or don't eat) based upon my daily work schedule. I never eat more than two meals a day. And I've recently noticed that I'm actually eating only one meal 3-4 days a week. I'm not going crazy with food during any of my meals. I don't feel hungry (unless I've just gone nearly 24 hours without eating and then I wouldn't say I'm ravenous, more like rightfully hungry). Yesterday was one of my longer fasting days and I ate a meal around 4:30 pm, then tried to eat a few bites of chicken after a while and I couldn't do it. I realized I had put chicken in my mouth and was chewing it but I had no need for it. Lately I feel like my grocery bill has gone way down, too...

Anyway, I don't even know that what I do is considered IF. I just want to know if I'm taking it too far? I've battled anorexia in the past, so I just...well...need some outsiders perspective on it?

Read me
And also...
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone have any ideas? Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
You'll probably get more responses if you post to the main board.
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

Gallery: DimSumKitty
Fasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
I've recently told a few people how I fast for most of the day and then eat a meal and I'm done. They look at me like I'm nuts... Anyway, I don't even know that what I do is considered IF. I just want to know if I'm taking it too far? I've battled anorexia in the past, so I just...well...need some outsiders perspective on it?
Hey Heidi:

Don't know if what you're doing is IF, exactly. I can tell you I do a version of what you do, my body seems to love it. I have, over a number of years, starting in college when I took weight-training, at various times tried eating 6-8 small, high-proteins, meals a day and such, and my body HATES it. I always feel and look bloated and fat and like I don't have time to digest a thing before I'm stuffing my gullet again...

In contrast, now, I rarely eat more than 2-3 meals a day (right now I'm having 3 as I'm doing an brief egg fast) and sometimes 1-2, and my digestion works properly, I feel better, and am less bloated and inflamed. I'm a huge fan of be your own scientist, study your body closely and figure out what works for you. I know I need way less food than I used to think and I feel full, have energy, and am losing my fat/inflammation and healthier all the time.

I like that you are experimenting with what works for you!
DimSumKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Look at the intermitent fasting or JUDDD threads. Turns out it is verry healthy
at least in animal studies leting mice only eat other days extends there average life
span about 40% feeding them only every 3rd day extends there life about 64%.
We live to long to have any human studies long enough to be positive but it does
look like fasting 20 hours or more does help your chlosterol, high blood pressure
and insulin resistance.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: T.G.
It sounds like you are doing something similar to "Fast-5."

There is more info. in the "Intermittent Fasting" thread under "Other Plans."
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #7

Gallery: DimSumKitty
Fasting...

I just remembered, I used to purposely fast one day a week (following Patricia Bragg's recommendation), and would only drink water (usually for 24 hours, but it sometimes ended up being 36 or so... evening to evening and then to the next morning). It absolutely was a great way to maintain, and cleanse on a weekly basis. I think the Bragg concept was to give the organs a rest. They make apple cider vinegar and liquid aminos and such.

Will have to check out those other threads.

I find that I naturally go for longer periods without eating as long as I AVOID foods that trigger me to eat when I am not hungry (that includes almost every processed foods, most grains, and such).

DimSumKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
What you are doing IS a form of IF--and perfectly healthy.

However, your own doubts and reference to your past ED might be a 'warning signal' that you should heed.

We're all different, and if the way you're eating is setting off signals that you might be headed to disordered eating, you need to pay attention.

I've read that people with ED in their past should avoid forms of fasting, including IF and JUDDD.

I've done JUDDD for over 2 years and encountered many women whose EDs returned because of that WOE.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I stepped it up to eating two meals daily, sometimes three. Thank you all for your input. Leo, that was exactly my thought. I figured I should listen to my body usually, but my head needs to win sometimes.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I don't know if it is "right" but I pretty much only eat at a set time each day, and the rest is pretty much fasting. ANd that seems to work for me. But I'm not on the IF plan or anything like that. It's just what I have been doing because it "feels" right for my body. And it has been working.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote