Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Great Scott
Conflict - Alpha Linoleic Acid

2 different opinions here, trying to get to the truth. On page 343 of protein power Dr Eades is saying to get away from Flax and any oils containing ALA because they encourage the production of bad Eicosanoids.

On page 198 of the Atkins Vita-Nutrient Solution, Dr Atkins is in full support of using Flax products.

I have been supplementing with flax oil for many years and have always heard good things about it. I do have High blood pressure and there may be a link to a use of the flax.

Any thoughts?
Great Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
It can be tricky to sort out when respected sources conflict. I have both those books so I could take a look through again. Personally I have opted to not use flax oil, since its beneficial fats can be obtained other ways. It seems I recall flax was more popular among vegetarians because it was one of the few plant sources of certain fats.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for looking into it. Now that you mention it. I was a vegetarian for a while and that's when I started using it. This is the first time I have ever heard anything negative about it.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
I think it's the balancing between Omega 3 and 9's. Fish oil is the 9's and flax/primrose oil is the 3's. I was reading the same thing and getting confused. I'm experiencing some inflammation in my foot and wondered if that was part of it.

I normally took both fish oil and primrose oil, as well as adding a heaping tablespoon of ground flax seed in my breakfast drink each morning. For the last 2 weeks I dropped the primrose oil to see if that made any difference. And switched to Krill oil instead.
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
If you do further research about only 30% of the population can convert the ALAs in flax oil to the needed EPAs and DHAs.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

You wouldn't happen to know where you found that info would you?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
One source I use a lot says about flax
Quote:
Avoid flaxseed oil because it contains more inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids than essential omega-3 fatty acids. Flax is a poor source of omega-3 fatty acids. The body must convert the shorter ALA fatty acid found in flaxseed oil into EPA and DHA fatty acids before you will receive major benefits, something most of us don't do well.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

After further research, I think Dr Atkins was a little behind the curve. The following is an excerpt from Dr Sears website: The full article is HERE

This is why long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids, like EPA, are so important in my dietary program. They inhibit the delta-5-desaturase enzyme thereby restricting the flow of any Omega-6 fatty acids into arachidonic acid, which therefore decreases the production of "bad" eicosanoids. As long as you are consuming very moderate amounts of Omega-6 fatty acids with equal amounts of EPA, then those dietary Omega-6 fatty acids in your diet tend to accumulate at the level of DGLA (because of the inhibition of delta-5-desaturase by the EPA), which increases the production of "good" eicosanoids. However, the total of amount of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acid you need is relatively low. This means you still have to add some extra fat to your diet to help slow the rate of entry of carbohydrate to control insulin secretion. And the fat should be primarily monounsaturated fat. Monounsaturated fats can't be made into eicosanoids ("good" or "bad"). Thus by having no effect on eicosanoids nor insulin, monounsaturated fats can provide the necessary amount of fat for controlling the entry rate of carbohydrates into the bloodstream without disturbing the hormonal balances that you are trying to achieve.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
Interesting....
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote