Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
WW and LC....Can they coexist?

Does anyone here actually do LC (full-fat) and WW together and have success??

My workplace is starting another WW at Work session next week, and I feel so discouraged, I'm ready to go join--just to have some accountability and MAYBE get back to losing again.

I've done WW many times over the past 40 years, and I know fat and protein eat up points in a hurry, but I'm tired of going nowhere with LC and feel like I need a plan to follow right now. I kind of feel like if I'm going to eat a chip or cookie here and there, I might as well be able to count it and move on instead of feeling like I've sabotaged my whole week. I hate LF/FF stuff, so I would want to stick with full-fat condiments and stuff.

Anyone done it with success??? Thanks...........

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patty-cake54
Stats: 239/210/165
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: November 2013
Shari, I don't like many of the fat free items out there. I joined WW in January and have been finding a pretty good balance with watching my carbs. The plan encourages us to follow the Good Health Guidelines: lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, dairy, whole grains, limit salt and incorporate activity.

I don't like many of the lower fat things in life. I use real mayo, just not as much; I use real Half and Half in my coffee, allow for the points; I can't stand turkey bacon, so I use the center cut bacon which is less fat.

I have lost 28 pounds so far. It has been slower than what I used to lose doing strictly low carb. But I am plugging along.

I go to the meetings and enjoy the support. We also have a thread here too! It's great support as well.

Good luck!
Patty-cake54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Patty. I know WW claims that you can adapt ANY eating plan to their plan, but LC can be pretty tough. Heck, I could imagine being completely out of points by lunchtime some days!!

But I'm coming to the conclusion that I really can't (won't) follow strict LC all the time. I'm on one day and off the next. There will be birthday cakes and bread and crackers and things that will come my way, and I'd like to be able to have some sort of control without having to say NO to everything.

28 pounds is awesome!! Congrats!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
I'm living proof that WW and low carb can infact coexist perfectly well! I've been eating low carb for the past 2 weeks while still tracking my points, I've only gone over my 29 points per day once (last night I hit 33 points), while I was doing "typical" WW I used to go over my points and into my extra points almost daily! You'd be suprised at all the low carb Atkins approved foods that are low/moderate points! The only thing that I guess I do "cheat" on would be I allow myself about 30 carbs worth of berries (blueberries, raspberries or strawberries per day) I don't worry about counting them but you may want to, they are not stallers (I know this from previous low carb attempts). I lost 4.8 lbs my first week on WW low carb (I still do and will continue to go to the meetings), the lady at the scale looked shocked and asked what I had done, I told her low carb and she reminded me to make sure I ate enough whole grains....whole grains are what got me in trouble weight wise!! In my past experience WW always worked for me and I lost weight but I was constantly thinking about food and starving! Low carb always made me feel much better but I never lost weight due to my huge portion sizes, so I decided to combine the two and so far so good! Go through all your favorite low carb foods and look up or calculate the points values you might be suprised!

I'll give you some of my most used ones:

1T no sugar peanut butter 2 pts
2T Cabot sour cream 1 pt
1 piece sliced american cheese 2 pts
2T whipped cream cheese 2pts
1T mayo 3 pts
6 slices Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh smoked turkey breast 1 pt
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded 2 pts
16 slices pepperoni 4 pts
4oz chicken breast 3 pts
3 brown n serve sausage links 5 pts
Bacon 1 pt per slice
Beef...2-3 pts per 2 oz (I count 2 oz as 2 pts)
Hamburger 85% lean 1 patty 5 pts
Eggs 2 pts each
Tuna 1 can water packed 2 pts
Veggies except peas and corn up to 2 cups I don't count
Berries up to 1 cup I don't count

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help further. :0)

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patty-cake54
Stats: 239/210/165
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: November 2013
Becky, that is awesome! Great post!
Patty-cake54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
In the end, it's still CALORIES.

Do whichever you can stand for the rest of your life, doesn't matter what you "call" it. Ain't easy. Do the best you can.

Wishing you well.
mykneesareback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think that's why my WW/low carb combo is working, last time doing just low carb I was eating only low carb foods but the portions were big (I think the "full" button in my brain is broken ). I agree though, do whatever you can that works...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Becky, you have no idea how helpful that info is to me!! Wow! That is EXACTLY what I needed to read.

Thank you SO very much. I think I will give it a try, although I won't trumpet my LC status much at first. The majority of our WW folks drank the fat-free koolaid, if you know what I mean, and think eating LC is dangerous (roll eyes). But if I can be successful at WW and still eat LC, it would definitely be the best of both worlds for me right now.

I'll let you know how things go...You're my hero today!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shari, Glad I could help, I really was suprised to find out how low some of the low carb foods point values were! Please let me know if you need any help with other foods/points values (do you have the calculator and books from WW?) I'll try to look up anything you need if you don't have the books or calculator. We can be a support system for each other and anyone else that wants to combine WW with low carb. I don't know why WW doesn't have a low carb option (program), though they wouldn't be able to tout their products as they are all pretty much high carb, some extreamly high carb! I figure I was eating at least 500 carbs per day while on WW (regular program), I've got it down to 35-40 carbs per day now.....the darn berries kill me but I really enjoy them so it's worth it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Berries....mmmmm

Through our WW at Work thing, we'll get 18 weeks of classes, all the books, plus 20 weeks of their Online Tools. I also have a points calculator from the last time I did it. It's not the newest, but it would probably get me close.

I'm actually looking forward to it now after reading your replies. They've changed the start date to Sept 14, but I'll be more than ready by then...

I wish they had a LC option, too. You know, I did WW back in 1972, and it WAS low-carb then! I still have a copy of the 1972 plan, and it really limited grains of all kinds and sugar, even fruit. You HAD to eat 6 oz of protein at lunch and dinner, and you had to eat your fats. No ketchup or sugary condiments. It's interesting to see how close it was to Atkins then. But as the low-fat movement took hold, WW went down that path, too. That's why it got harder and harder for me to lose weight every time I tried it. But now that I know I can adjust it to fit ME, it ought to be much better.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I am not on WW but I have a friend who started the new Points Plus program that they have now. From what she was saying, it sounded like the higher carb foods would use up more points than in the old WW plans. The fruit is supposed to be 0 points but you could always count them if you prefer. You also get a lot of weekly points that you can use in case you go over your daily points.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shari, my grandmother was a champion Weight Watcher....constantly on the program and she said the only time she ever lost any considerable weight was in the 70's when she ate a bunch of protein and hardly any grains. Them unfortunatly she gained it all back when she started back in with the cereals and desserts.

Kismet, yes they did change the points on most everything and the higher carb stuff went up but so did most everything else and in exchange they now offer all fruits as zero points (our leader said up to 5 fruits a day), my problem with this was if you only like bananas or another high calorie fruit and you do eat 3-4 per day you're adding about 300-400 calories per day w/o counting it. But it's not as bad as I thought because in reality they didn't really change anything it's a trick to make you think you're getting fruits free but by raising the points on everything else it's justified pointwise....you're covered to a certain extent. I always tried to stay under my 29 daily points but just knowing the extra ones (45 extra per week) were available was on some days just too tempting, so even though I wasn't really hungry I'd still splurge....a lot! Doing low carb I very rarely have the urge to eat when not hungry but my serving sizes were huge when I was hungry. Having to keep track of points reels me in, though I think I really should count my berry obsession as a couple of points per cup.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Shari, thanks for asking this, it's a very interesting thread. Becky, what a great list of points for low carb favorites. I think it would be great if we could each post some favorite low carb dish point values. I've calculated a few of my Linda Sue favorites.

Ham and egg quiche 7 points
Spinach mushroom quiche 5 points
Cheesy chicken and green bean casserole 10 points
Spinach lasagna (my favorite Linda Sue recipe) 7 points

DH is strictly a meat and potatoes man, so Linda Sue's recipes give me six meals for me ready to grab from the fridge and nuke while I peel DH's potatoes.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I'm living proof that WW and low carb can infact coexist perfectly well! I've been eating low carb for the past 2 weeks while still tracking my points, I've only gone over my 29 points per day once (last night I hit 33 points), while I was doing "typical" WW I used to go over my points and into my extra points almost daily! You'd be suprised at all the low carb Atkins approved foods that are low/moderate points! The only thing that I guess I do "cheat" on would be I allow myself about 30 carbs worth of berries (blueberries, raspberries or strawberries per day) I don't worry about counting them but you may want to, they are not stallers (I know this from previous low carb attempts). I lost 4.8 lbs my first week on WW low carb (I still do and will continue to go to the meetings), the lady at the scale looked shocked and asked what I had done, I told her low carb and she reminded me to make sure I ate enough whole grains....whole grains are what got me in trouble weight wise!! In my past experience WW always worked for me and I lost weight but I was constantly thinking about food and starving! Low carb always made me feel much better but I never lost weight due to my huge portion sizes, so I decided to combine the two and so far so good! Go through all your favorite low carb foods and look up or calculate the points values you might be suprised!

I'll give you some of my most used ones:

1T no sugar peanut butter 2 pts
2T Cabot sour cream 1 pt
1 piece sliced american cheese 2 pts
2T whipped cream cheese 2pts
1T mayo 3 pts
6 slices Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh smoked turkey breast 1 pt
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded 2 pts
16 slices pepperoni 4 pts
4oz chicken breast 3 pts
3 brown n serve sausage links 5 pts
Bacon 1 pt per slice
Beef...2-3 pts per 2 oz (I count 2 oz as 2 pts)
Hamburger 85% lean 1 patty 5 pts
Eggs 2 pts each
Tuna 1 can water packed 2 pts
Veggies except peas and corn up to 2 cups I don't count
Berries up to 1 cup I don't count

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help further. :0)
Thank you for the great post.. fits me to a T. . I think I may follow your example and try it! I've been back to WW for the last month but keep failing and starting over. .and I just couldn't do another day of pure tuna! I think the berries/fruit will help as well as the veggies. .

I think I can. I think I can. .
IM2fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinOK View Post
Becky, you have no idea how helpful that info is to me!! Wow! That is EXACTLY what I needed to read.

Thank you SO very much. I think I will give it a try, although I won't trumpet my LC status much at first. The majority of our WW folks drank the fat-free koolaid, if you know what I mean, and think eating LC is dangerous (roll eyes). But if I can be successful at WW and still eat LC, it would definitely be the best of both worlds for me right now.

I'll let you know how things go...You're my hero today!
Shari: Let's try this together One day at at time!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think we need to think like the caveman. . Hunter/Gatherer. . only natural items shall pass these lips! Its all the processed crap that gives us the most trouble. . Why, then, does it taste sooo good? Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: srsmom
Stats: 196/178.4/140 5'3.5"
WOE: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead juice on since 12/27/13
Start Date: May 22, 2004
Hi ladies...may I pop in and join you? (Shari, I, too, am in OK.)

I have done Atkins on and off for years, but am a Lifetime WW member from way back in 1991. I just went to my first meeting in years yesterday, bought the books and the calculator, and today is now my second day OP. I even got on my treadmill today for half an hour!!! (I have not exercised in MONTHS.:blush: I moved here in January and have not been on it at.all. until today.)

So while I will not be strictly low carb enough with it to be in ketosis, I would like to join you all as I am trying to stick to lower carb choices as well.

Hope you are all having a great Sunday!
For with God nothing shall be impossible. Luke 1:37

GOALS:1. Eat only foods that are healthy fuel for my body. 2. Eat only until no longer hungry. Satisfied, not full.
srsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Wow, I guess my ears must've been burnin. For the last 2 days I have been seriously contemplating trying to do WW with low carb eating and wondering what that would look like. Thank you ladies for shedding some light on this! I have struggled for a few weeks now on/off/on/off with strict lc'ing because going out to eat on the weekends with dh just kills me and throws me off track. So frustrating! I'm excited to think of this as a possibility and finally find some success. Do the calculator's have to be bought at a meeting or can you buy one online? I had one from about 8 yrs ago but sold it...kinda wish I hadn't now. LOL

Looking forward to doing this and would love to do it with you ladies!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Danielle. You can get the calculator free on line by googling weight watchers pro point calculator. Pro point and points plus are the same thing--one is English and the other American, but the same program.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, it's so great to see others who are getting on board! Our WW session starts on the 14th and will run for 18 weeks, so it will take me through the holidays. That should be a big help, assuming I stick with it!

While I adore Atkins and had success with it, looking back, I also had great success with WW in its early days. So, all things being equal, I think combining the two should be doable. If nothing else, I'll have some accountability, both here AND at my weekly meetings. Since I really have done NOTHING to try to lose weight for a couple of years, just the discipline of a real plan should be a huge help.

srsmom, Okla has been TOO HOT for us to do anything since May!! Luckily, my company just opened a new fitness center for employees, and I hope to start getting over there a couple of days a week. It ought to help me feel better and might help with the weight loss.

So, ladies, let's give it a go!!! I'm actually getting excited about this now!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well my second week wasn't as good as my first (lost 1/2 pound) but I know what happened, I was eating all low carb foods but we were away for the weekend so I neglected tracking (forgot my book and calculator!). I ate WAY too much cheese and peanuts....but hey they were darn good! I'm not complaining, I had been gaining for the past month on WW so any and all losses are AWESOME!!!

Cheese seems to be my downfall, I love the stuff but I have to take it easy 2-3 oz per day tops!

My goal is to average 1 lb per week so I'm still doing fine and dandy.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Well my second week wasn't as good as my first (lost 1/2 pound) but I know what happened, I was eating all low carb foods but we were away for the weekend so I neglected tracking (forgot my book and calculator!). I ate WAY too much cheese and peanuts....but hey they were darn good! I'm not complaining, I had been gaining for the past month on WW so any and all losses are AWESOME!!!

Cheese seems to be my downfall, I love the stuff but I have to take it easy 2-3 oz per day tops!

My goal is to average 1 lb per week so I'm still doing fine and dandy.
Great Job!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
TGIF!

I signed up for WW online. I am going to try it this way and see if I like it. I tried meetings once a long time ago and was traumatized by it. LOL If I need a meeting I guess I will have to hunt for the perfect one somewhere. I hope I don't, I think I'll be fine at home on my own and with all of your support.

I haven't actually started yet. DH and I are going away for a little "stay-cation" this weekend and will be back Monday afternoon. I will most likely start Tues. I'm excited to get this started and see what I can do as far as progress. It's been so long since I've lost any sort of substantial weight that I think I am finally ready!

Everyone have a great weekend!!!!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome aboard, Danielle! My WW at Work class starts next Wed, so I'm not thinking about food much until then, either. For me, there are pros and cons to the WW classes...Pros--it's at work, so it just goes on my calendar; I get recipes and tips; I get to meet other people who are struggling like I am. CONS--our group is died-in-the-wool low-fat phobic, so I'll have to keep my mouth shut about eating LC, for the most part. It's a sea of lettuce, FF salad dressing and 100-calorie packs in there, so I'll have to take the parts I like and silently object to the parts I know are hooey.

I also had good luck with the online program a few years ago. Got lots of good info on their site and liked the way I could keep track of everything online. Good luck with it!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Well, friends, I just got signed up for WW at Work. We got our 20 people minimum, so we will get the E-tools for free, too, which should be helpful. As I suspected, I sat surrounded by bottles of fat-free salad dressing, bushels of lettuce and bags of FF popcorn. Sigh...

BUT...now that I'm armed with a lovely LC list that Becky provided and can look up foods as I need to, I can side-step the LF/FF junk and feast on REAL food!! They were also passing out samples of the WW treats to get people to buy them. Two points for a bar full of ingredients I can't even pronounce? No thanks! I'll have some berries or some other low-point fruit or even dark chocolate when I get a hankering for something sweet. There were folks toting out stacks of boxes of that junk, but I plan to abstain.

Anyhow, I'll keep you all posted as to how the week goes. I'm going to start tracking with today's lunch and see how things progress. I weighed in at an all-time high, so you better believe I've got serious motivation to DO THIS THING...!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 174.5/168/128 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
Hi all,
This is a great thread. I did Weight Watchers for 5 years (just by myself) and lost all my weight. Had medical stuff happen and gained 30lbs. Started to watch what I was eating and lost 15lbs of the 30lbs. Then Low Carbing, with no luck but loved the natural way of eating. I don't buy processed stuff, but need to able to count points so I know I am losing weight. Just started today on the Weight Watchers/Low Carb diet. Can be done. I don't know the info on the new Weight Watchers so feel a little at a disavantage when it come to counting point. If I just count the old way I should be good for now until I read more about the new points system. So for me

Weight Watchers = 22 points daily
Low Carb = 20 carbs daily
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Ok here's my menu for today:

coffee,hwc,splenda = 2pts, 2carbs
1 egg,pepper,onion,1 slice cheese,1tsp butter = 5pts, 3carbs
chicken salad (1 chicken breast,1tbsp mayo, 1celery stalk, 1 tbsp onion) = 6pts, 2carbs
1 grilled chicken and side salad (2 cups greens, 2 tbsp dressing) = 7pts, 8carbs
decaf,hwc,splenda = 2pts, 2carbs

Total = 22 points, 17 carbs
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, pcaltman! Looks like you've been doing great with WW/LC! Just FYI, with the new PointsPlus program, the minimum points for everyone is 29, and fruit is zero points (all fruit). So you could be eating more, if you wanted to. Not trying to encourage you to mess with something that's working, but thought you might want to know.

There's also a WW thread for September here that might give you some good support, as well: WW September - Counting our way to Skinnyville!

Glad to have you aboard!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Gals! I'm back. I have three great days under my belt so I'm ready to roll. . That has been my struggle lately. making it through the first few days. I'm also a member of the meat eaters club but decided I can't live without my fruits/veggies. .I did strict Stillmans for almost a year but just couldn't lose any more.. I teetered between WW and Atkins and Stillmans.. and kept restarting.. so I was so very happy to find this thread! I do think WW is a great program and I do know that it works (I'm a lifetimer). .. . I just tend to do it carb-style. This time. .I'm keeping it lean and mean!! Been counting points and eating smaller meals through out the day. . Kinda cave-many. . really staying far away from the processed crap!

I made a wonderful soup (northern beans, chili's salsa, cumin, celery, green peppers. .). .. . cut up some salad, boiled some eggs and grilled me up some chicken. I'm ready!!!

Let's do this. . Hope to see more posts here. .
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Sheri, I will check that out. I was reading just a little about the new Weight watchers. 29 is fine, but I know everything has change with the amount of points and I don't know the new point values. Is there a site like Dottie's weight loss zone that has the new point count for things? She only has the old points for the 20-22 point scale.

IM2fat - Yum, that's sort of why I am doing the combo instead of just LC. I miss the fruits and beans and soup. That soup looks yummy.....