Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
One other thing on her blog today that I plan to try is using ONION as pasta!! Who would have guessed that?? She slices sweet onions and sautes them until they start getting translucent and lose their crunch. Then she tops it with meatballs, sauce or whatever pasta sauce she has. Brilliant idea!! Onions are higher carb, but they're zero WW points and would save a ton of points over pasta.

Spaghetti squash is OK, but I've always found it a hassle to cook/scoop/shred. But I've always got onions around. This one's happening on the next spaghetti night at my house!!

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinOK View Post
YES.....there is a list of points values of LC foods. It was started by Pat or Patty (can't remember?), and I have added to it. I can PM you the Word file, if you want.
I would really love to have access to that list. Would you PM it to me, please? Thank you so very much!
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Thanks for posting the recipes Shari. They all sound delicious, but the first one on my list to try is your pizza casserole. Does one 8 X 8 pan make four servings?

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
Good morning all!1

Shari- thanks for all the recipes and info!
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
Quote:
Wow!
YES.....there is a list of points values of LC foods. It was started by Pat or Patty (can't remember?), and I have added to it. I can PM you the Word file, if you want.
I would like this list also, if you don't mind.

Thanks for the recipes. I'm hoping this will help me. I went to my endo day before yesterday and found out I've gained. Last May I had gotten down to 171 and now I'm at 177. I started eating VLC to help my blood sugar numbers and it did help. My A1C is down to 5.9 but I know this would improve if I could get weight off instead of on.

I am so looking forward to trying this. A close friend is doing WW and so is one of my co-workers. So I will ask if I can borrow their little packet of info so I better understand this new Points plus program.

Thanks again, and happy Friday everyone
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dee744
Stats: 8-11-180/12-11-159.5/140
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: Jan 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrielyn View Post
I would like this list also, if you don't mind.

Thanks for the recipes. I'm hoping this will help me. I went to my endo day before yesterday and found out I've gained. Last May I had gotten down to 171 and now I'm at 177. I started eating VLC to help my blood sugar numbers and it did help. My A1C is down to 5.9 but I know this would improve if I could get weight off instead of on.

I am so looking forward to trying this. A close friend is doing WW and so is one of my co-workers. So I will ask if I can borrow their little packet of info so I better understand this new Points plus program.

Thanks again, and happy Friday everyone
I hope your friend is nicer than my family members, it is a cult I paid for it you must to and come to meetings is what they told me, so much for family hehe.
So $90 later a few weeks using online tools and being told I would only be billed for a month if I quit they billed me for the 3 month period, but canceled access asap. Did not improve my opinion of WW. It used to be a more supportive and sharing community, now it is about the $$. You may want to see if she will buy you the books and hand calculator. The only problem doing without tools if figuring exercise points if you were to choose to use them.
They used to run a 7 day free trial but have not seen that in a long time. I will have to dig out what I have and can explain what I can for you.

Does anyone know where the older programs can be found?
Dee744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee744 View Post
I hope your friend is nicer than my family members, it is a cult I paid for it you must to and come to meetings is what they told me, so much for family hehe.
So $90 later a few weeks using online tools and being told I would only be billed for a month if I quit they billed me for the 3 month period, but canceled access asap. Did not improve my opinion of WW. It used to be a more supportive and sharing community, now it is about the $$. You may want to see if she will buy you the books and hand calculator. The only problem doing without tools if figuring exercise points if you were to choose to use them.
They used to run a 7 day free trial but have not seen that in a long time. I will have to dig out what I have and can explain what I can for you.

Does anyone know where the older programs can be found?
Fortunately, they do not take that attitude.

I've thought about joining, my place of employment will pay for half of it, I just don't know if my schedule at this time would allow me to get to the meetings. I could join my friend at hers, not too far from where I work, but it's in the middle of the day.

I think I will borrow it from one for a few days and than the other for a few days. That, with asking questions here and from them might help me.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Quote:
the first one on my list to try is your pizza casserole. Does one 8 X 8 pan make four servings?
YES, Pat....one pan makes 4 servings. It's really filling, too, and if you've piled on the veggies, 1/4 is a BIG helping!

Family. Oh dear. I feel your pain there. But WW as a cult? Interesting. I think WW had the free 1-week trial back in August or early Sept, but I knew I was signing up for our WW at Work class, so I didn't do it.

The only problem with the older programs is that you don't get as much to eat. The fewest points you can ever drop to is 29 now. It used to go down to around 15, and people starved just to keep the weight off. Heck, I eat 15 points at a meal some days! So the new PP plan is a lot more flexible--at least so far it is for me!

Well, crew.....I am taking off next week for my daughter's fall break and going to visit relatives out of state. So I may not be back on here for about a week. Also sad that I'll miss my WW weigh-in, and a tad worried that I might mess up my points while I'm traveling. BUT, my plan is to take a big load of zero-and one-point foods along in the car--fruit, string cheese, cherry tomatoes, celery--and hope for the best. Since we'll be staying at someone's house, I have no idea what we'll be served, so I'm trying to save up my extra points just in case. Will be my first big test for this WW lifestyle and to see if I can hang with it when I'm out of my comfort zone. Fingers crossed!

Have a great week, all! I'll check back in with you when I'm back in town! Have a great weekend!
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have a great time with your daughter!!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Family. Oh dear. I feel your pain there. But WW as a cult? Interesting. I think WW had the free 1-week trial back in August or early Sept, but I knew I was signing up for our WW at Work class, so I didn't do it.
Sorry, no my family treats it like a cult, you know, YOU must be a member because if they give you any info they will have to kill you
Old 10-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Ok, spent the evening last night rereading the WW site and getting up to speed on the program. Lots of good general info about the plan, tips and tricks etc I just needed the tools and an easy way to track, extra points,activity etc and I found one, yeah!. Just before I paid WW for the online membership, thought I would look some more and found these apps for my phone.

For anyone with an Anroid phone I found 2 apps that do everything the WW site does for you for $1.49 and I think the other was $4 or around that.

I got the $1.49 one and so far I like it way better than the online tools when I was a member and MUCH cheaper too just do a search for points plus apps several come up if you can't find it pm me and I will send you a link.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Super soup, or magic soup!

Here is my lifesaver, and pretty low carb too.

I make vegetable soup, all 0 pointsPlus, and I chose LC ones, or fairly LC, cabbage, squash (yellow), tomatoes with chilies, green beans, rutabaga, peppers and onions, pumpkin. I use low sodium broth and season to my own taste (I like garlic and onion powder, cumin, lots of pepper, salt to taste.)

I make about 10 days worth and freeze what I cannot eat in a few.

So if I need a meal, I add accordingly, to the points I need, chicken, and a queso sometimes, the one with Velveeta and Rotel. One could also add chicken sausages, ground beef, whatever you have within reason or taste.

If I just need the veggies, they are ready.

I find the whole idea fairly easy and filling.

HTH, you could adapt to your own tastes and preferences.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jake&Loo
Hi everyone,
I'm getting pretty overwhelmed trying to fit low-carb into my 29 points. The issue I have is that I don't consider fat "bad", at least for me. For me it's about carbs & sugar. But WW seems to still focus on the fats, and I'm doing well with keeping my carbs down to 50 grams, which I think is a good limit for me, but things like hot dogs, cheese, mayo, etc. seem to send my points over the edge too quickly. And things like yogurt send my carbs reeling. I'm not big on low-fat stuff, but I'm trying. My tastes are pretty standard; I'm not a "braised duck almondine with caramelized goat cheese and okra" kind of cook. If I find foods I like I'll even eat the same things every day until I get sick of them. I might just be frustrated because I can't get it right right away. It'd be great to have suggestions..I'm probably half way through the posts here and there is a lot of great info. I'm beginning a list of foods with carbs and points for myself, and I want to find low-carb/low point meals that I can just choose from. God, I wish my life didn't revolve around food.

Does anyone know if there is a thread or something with areas people are from? It would be so great to have a friend to really talk to and go on walks with, etc. Someone who knows what this is like. Thanks
Jake&Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake&Loo View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm getting pretty overwhelmed trying to fit low-carb into my 29 points. The issue I have is that I don't consider fat "bad", at least for me. For me it's about carbs & sugar. But WW seems to still focus on the fats, and I'm doing well with keeping my carbs down to 50 grams, which I think is a good limit for me, but things like hot dogs, cheese, mayo, etc. seem to send my points over the edge too quickly. And things like yogurt send my carbs reeling. I'm not big on low-fat stuff, but I'm trying. My tastes are pretty standard; I'm not a "braised duck almondine with caramelized goat cheese and okra" kind of cook. If I find foods I like I'll even eat the same things every day until I get sick of them. I might just be frustrated because I can't get it right right away. It'd be great to have suggestions..I'm probably half way through the posts here and there is a lot of great info. I'm beginning a list of foods with carbs and points for myself, and I want to find low-carb/low point meals that I can just choose from. God, I wish my life didn't revolve around food.

Does anyone know if there is a thread or something with areas people are from? It would be so great to have a friend to really talk to and go on walks with, etc. Someone who knows what this is like. Thanks
You are ahead of me, I have not yet switched over to WW yet. Like you fat is not my problem at all and the limiting of more fatty meat cuts looks like it will be tough. That and keeping creamer, salad dressing etc full fat, I hate fake food.

My point value is 29 also and I don't want to get into the weekly if I don't have too. My thinking so far is use my points for meats and fats and fill in with no points vegs as much as possible, same as now really. I do see that will cut calories from where I am now, hopefully that translates into pounds gone!
I would love to find a tracker that gives you both points,calories and carbs without having to double track in 2 places anyone have an idea on that?

I live in FL, but we can pm or email all you want
Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The weekly points form part of the plan and are there to be used. The people who lose the best on WWLC (look at Shari's results) use their weekly points. My daughter, who pushed me onto WW, has lost 50 pounds, and has always lost more when she used her weekly points and tended to stall when she tried to stay at 29. I lose better when my vegetable intake is higher. I find that with vegetables I am happy with a teaspoon of butter, but with salad I really like a lot of ranch dressing, so I try to stick to cooked vegetables or gazpacho.

A small pot of full fat Greek yogurt with blueberries or raspberries is a delicious breakfast for 5 points. A slice of low carb toast with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter is another good 5 point breakfast.

My downfall is my weakness for sweets. Two squares of Lindt 85 chocolate is 3 points, and I manage to fit those points in most days. Another favorite is Cleochatra's no bake cheesecake (without the luscious nut crust) and using Philadelphia light cream cheese instead of full fat and topping it with a tablespoon of no sugar added black cherry jam.

Three crisp-bread type crackers (I love the Ry-Krisp Sesame crackers) with a smear of low fat cream cheese and smoked salmon make a delicious lunch. And you can add a piece of fruit and still be under 10 points.

Pat
Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Pat, very helpful ideas on points. I thought those points were a pad IF you really needed them. Online membership when I was one does not really help you all that much with the plan, just a lot of general guidllines. I need to borrow someones getting started book.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/157/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Hi Everyone
Do you mind if I join you on this thread? I have been struggling for many months with my diet and my weight. I know LC is best for me but it's hard to stay LC for me all the time. I do okay for a couple of days and then whatever happens and I feel like a total failure. I was thinking about the new WW and heard it was LC friendlier. I want and need the accountability that WW brings and then I found this thread! Wow! Karma! I went ahead and joined WW Online yesterday to take advantage of the no joining fee. Just finished my first day - at 27 points. I'm so glad to find this thread and learn from you ladies!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Everyone!!
Hope you all had a good weekend. I like this plan that I'm following, the calculator ap, plus my fit day ap are really helping me.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

My co-worker is going to price the books and points calculator and will buy them for me. Looking forward but it is going to take some effort.

I had two HB eggs and one sausage patty and that is about 8 points
Then lunch was hard salami, babybel cheese, mini peppers, mini cucumbers and grape tomatoes (have to check the points on this).

Not sure about dinner but I think I need to be careful.

It will be next week before I get my goodies. My anniversary is this week and we are going out of town for a few days.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pat, I was surprised to hear that people did better when they eat their extra points. I am only 3 weeks in to the program, and since I am focusing on lc veggies, I am not hungry enough to eat the extra points. I am shocked, this isn't like my normal pattern.

The exercise part, is anybody focusing on that? I am trying to break my sedentary patterns a little at a time. Do any of you use the exercise points?

I am a little concerned about a cruise coming up, planned for over a year. I will definitely be using all my extra points and the exercise ones too! Anybody try anything like that on the lc WW?

Janie
Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Magna, losing better while using the weekly points does seem strange, but I've read that on several boards that I follow. I imagine it is a help for people who might be inclined to binge eat (definitely me). Another trick that seems to work is to not eat the same number of points every day, but alternate 29 point days with higher point days to keep the body guessing.

Your cruise sounds like fun. Is it the low carb cruise? I would so much like to go on that, but having to factor in the transatlantic travel on top of the cruise fare puts it into the "Things to do when I win the lottery" category.

Pat
Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, Pat, it is not the low carb cruise, but it does start in your home base, but Barcelona specifically, don't think that is too sunny in Nov. We have visited before, all along the coast, love it. It is a transatlantic cruise.

Good point on changing the points.

I tend to repeat things, points, foods, the boring menus help me not want more!

Janie
Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pcaltman
Stats: 175/168/128 5'7"
WOE: Atkins 72',Primal, Paleo
Start Date: Working on it everyday:)
I'm still around, just reading mostly and learning a little about the new points system Doing ok, but very hard to do both WW/LC induction......When I did WW in the past I counted the excercise points but did not use extra weekly points. I would love to see some menus from everybody to see if I am doing ok. Thanks....
pcaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would think both WW and induction wouldn't work! Unless you are only eating meat and a salad! Then I guess it would work.

By working, I didn't mean losing lbs, just figuring it out and making the points work.

Best of luck, let us know how it works for you. Wouldn't that look a little like Stillmans Lowfat-wise?

Last edited by magnamater; 10-18-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Breakfast. Pumpkin custard 4 pts
Snack 2 string WW cheese 2 pts

Lunch veggie soup with chicken sausage, 5 pts.

Snack. Greek yogurt with berries, no fat. 3 pts

Dinner. Something up to 14 pts. Turkey pizza planned. 13 pts as planned, with ground turkey, pepper I, lower fat cheese, tomato sauce, a few olivesand peppers and onions.

I think I am moderate, not low cal.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #116
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
Wow! Our numbers are growing! I think it's a common dilemma for a lot of us. We know from others' experience that WW works. We also believe in LC and want to avoid LF/FF processed junk. It's a fine line to walk. But I think we can help each other a lot here!

Welcome aboard, Dee and Changling!

I have to say that I honestly am not counting carbs right now. I am only counting WW points plus. BUT...I am paying attention to carbs and avoiding the bad ones as much as possible. I'm eating more fruit, and I do eat a bit of pasta or bread on occasion, but never every day. If I do indulge, I do my best to go VLC the rest of the day and maybe even the next. For me, trying to do either 100% of either LC or WW was just making me frustrated and I kept throwing in the towel, over and over again. consequently, I lost nothing and never felt like I could accomplish a thing. Heck, I was just about resigned to be fat forever. Ugh.

Dee, I think that calculator is for the NEW PointsPlus plan (which is WAY better, IMO!). And I, too, like having the flexibility of eating a dessert or bread or fruit and not feeling like I've wiped out all the progress I've made before.

Hi--I"m just starting this plan tomorrow. I went to my dr today and calories count. So anyway, could you em me the list please????
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Well not ready to start yet still waiting on some materials but have added to the list, see if it will copy here. I kind of took it for a fridge door list so added things I use or like.

LOW CARB FOODS – WW POINT VALUES

All oils, olive, canola, corn etc -1 tbsp – 4 pts. Cooking oil sprays -0 pts
Almonds, 1 oz (23 nuts) – 4 points
Golden Flax Meal 2 tbsp – 2 pts
Almond meal ผ cup - 5 pts
Berries up to 1 cup I don't count
Butter full fat - 1 tbsp - 3 pts,
Butter 1 tsp-1 pts
Light butter 1 TBSP – 2 pts
Cheeses = Colby, cheddar, Monterery Jack, 1 oz – 3 pts
Swiss low fat 1 oz-2, Mozz full fat 1 oz -2 pts
Cream cheese, 1 oz – 3 points ( 1 tbsp =1 pts)
Cottage cheese 4 % 1 cup = 6 pts
Cottage cheese 2 % 1 cup = 5 pts
Daisy low fat cottage cheese, ฝ cup – 2 points
Mozzarella cheese, ผ cup shredded - 2 pts
Deli Deluxe cheese, 1 slice – 2 points
Ricotta whole milk 1 cup -12 pts ฝ cup – 3 pts
Parmesan 2 tbsp – 1, ผ cup 3 pts, 1 cup – 11pts

Cream, heavy whipping, 2 ounces – 6 points /2 tbsp- 3 pts
Half and Half , 2 tbsp -1 pts
Custard – 7 points
Daisy sour cream 2T - 1 pt

Eggs -1 lg fried, hard boiled or poached - 2 pts.
Scrambled 2 eggs -5 pts
Egg Whites only 3 eggs – 1 pts
LindaSue’s Enchilada Bake – 11 points
Mayo, 1T - 3 pts
Milk -Calorie Countdown 2% white 1 cup – 2pts
Milk 2 % 1 cup – 3 pts
Low fat choc milk - 1 cup - 4 pts
Newman’s Own Light Balsamic Dressing – 2 T - 1 pt
Dreamfields pasta- 2 oz dry- 5 pts
Pepperoni, 16 slices - 4 pts
Pita, whole wheat, 5.5 inches – 3 points
Pumpkin custard – 7 points (5 servings); 6 points (6 servings)
Orville Redenbocker 94% fat free large bag - 7 pts
Ranch dressing, 2 T – 4 points
Tortilla, Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat, Fajita size – 2 points
Tuna 1 can water packed – ฝ cup/4 oz - 3 pts
Veggies except peas and corn up to 2 cups I don't count
V- 8 juice 11.5 oz can – 2 pts (carbs 11 net)
Whipped cream cheese 2T - 2pts
Yogurt, plain, 1 cup – 4 points Chibani greek plain non fat 1 cup – 3 pts
Meats, Poultry and Fish
Hamburger 85% lean 1 patty - 5 pts
Bacon - 1 pt per slice
Beef, Average 2 oz - 2-3 pts
Brown n serve sausage links, 3 - 5 pts
Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh smoked turkey breast, 6 slices - 1 pt
Oscar Mayer Virginia ham – 1 pt/ounce

Chicken breast, 4 oz - 3 pts
Chicken full leg with skin –4.5 oz - 9 pts
Chicken thigh with skin 3 oz - 4 pts
Ice Cream
Carbsmart Fudge bar- 1 bar 2 pts
Carbsmart Vanilla ice cream ฝ cup – 2 pts
“ “ Chocolate ice cream “ -2 pts
“ “ vanilla almond bar 1 bar 5 pts

Maries Chunky Blue Cheese 2 tbsp – 4 pts
“ “ BC lite 2 tbsp -2 pts
Maries Creamy Ranch 2 tbsp - 5 pts
Maries lite Ranch 2 tbsp – 2 pts

Well formatting did not carry over but just copy into a word doc and you can do what you want with it. BTW it sure did get quiet in here.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #118
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Thanks so much for posting the list.
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for posting the list.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dee, thanks for posting that list. I've printed it out.

Pat