Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #811
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Wow Really Becky???? Thanks for the info, cause I just have this block about eating the pasta.. then when I binge, I binge on friggen pasta!!!
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #812
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
Wow Really Becky???? Thanks for the info, cause I just have this block about eating the pasta.. then when I binge, I binge on friggen pasta!!!
But that's just me, as they say...your milage may vary. I'm actually going to take it easy on the wheat and rice this time but it will not be afraid of it. I'm thinking low carb breakfast and dinner, higher carb lunch, we'll see how that goes. I am staying away from the soda this time too, I really don't need that addiction again.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #813
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes20 View Post
Yam Yam - don't even sweat that tiny gain, you will get back on track! What stood out to me in your post was in your signature, that you have LOST 33.2 pounds since August - so impressive! That little gain and then some will soon join those lost pounds in no time! : )

Ashley: Thank you!!! That was so encouraging. I'm having a good day. Very low carb. I didn't track anything. But, I grilled a steak and am about to hard boil some eggs. I looked up a recipe for a cucumber salad and will probably steam some brocolli 'cos I gotta cook for DH, too. But I'm going to eat very low carb, very low points today and see if I can't knock off some water weight at least. That will give me a boost!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #814
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
When you do eat pasta, is it whole wheat/ whole grain? There is one I like that is whole wheat and flax seeds. It does not seem to set off cravings like regular white pasta. Also, it seems to "leave the building" (if you know what I mean) first thing when I hit the bathroom the next morning. At least most of it does. So, I feel like I'm not doing too much damage if I eat the ones that have about 6 grams of fiber per serving and eat it with lots of protein. Also, it's a lot more filling than regular pasta. So, I've noticed I don't eat as much of it.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #815

Yam.. I bought some whole wheat pasta and brown rice...I got it from Sprouts...you know it's like a Whole Foods...I haven't tried it yet though...I should just try half a cup serving...use it more as a condiment type thing...with that said, when I binge I am not thinking of whole pasta.. that is so crazy my thinking..
Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #816
Blabbermouth!!!

Melinda: I think you will love it. I'm a "volume" eater. I like really filling stuff. If it's not bulky, like if I'm eating something like potato chips, I never feel full and just keep eating and eating.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #817
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Notia
Thanks for the warm welcome Ashley!
First day on points over. Was a lot easier than I had expected. The biggest problem was actually not having a whole lot in the kitchen. Need to go grocery shopping, but will have to wait until tomorrow.
I don´t think you actually have to eat pasta to do WW, even though they talk so much about it. I am planning to stay away from it as much as possible. But then again, if having controlled portions of pasta every once in a while keeps you from bingeing, I´d say go for it. My biggest down falls are both portion control and baked goods. I´m so tired of a cookie throwing me off program! And with WW I know it won´t be such a big deal.
Notia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #818
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
When you do eat pasta, is it whole wheat/ whole grain? There is one I like that is whole wheat and flax seeds. It does not seem to set off cravings like regular white pasta. Also, it seems to "leave the building" (if you know what I mean) first thing when I hit the bathroom the next morning. At least most of it does. So, I feel like I'm not doing too much damage if I eat the ones that have about 6 grams of fiber per serving and eat it with lots of protein. Also, it's a lot more filling than regular pasta. So, I've noticed I don't eat as much of it.
I always ate the whole wheat thin spaghetti or whole wheat elbow macaroni but always cooked it al dente' (not mushy, still a bit of hardness to it). My issues with pasta is I ALWAYS cooked too much no matter how I measured, it was always too much, of course I always added in broccoli flourets, mushrooms and diced tomatoes so that bulked up the serving significantly. I never used to save food for later or throw it away I'd just keep eating....thus my problem. I always had a problem with "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" as my mom used to put it. I will now buy the one serving microwave meals as they are time and protion savers for me, I think most of them taste just fine and I bulk them up with 1/4 cup of baby green peas or 1/2 cup of chopped broccoli. Adding in the veggies makes the portion size look bigger and adds very few points (0 on the broccoli and 1 or 2 on the peas...gotta look that up).

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Old 02-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #819
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Just thought of this...you should read Wheat Belly, it's a good, very eye opening book! It will explain exactly why when you binge you binge on pasta. It is one of the reasons I want to stay away from wheat, or at least cut down on the wheat.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #820
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Melinda: I think you will love it. I'm a "volume" eater. I like really filling stuff. If it's not bulky, like if I'm eating something like potato chips, I never feel full and just keep eating and eating.
My 15 year old son could go through a whole bag of chips a day if I let him, he just shovels them in while watching TV....I have to hide them from him! I wish I could just stop buying them but my husband loves them so they are in the house (my husband has much better portion control than a 15 year old! ).
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #821
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ew1
Hi, been doing WW online and wondered about Jamie/Cleo's cauliflower pizza crust-is that recipe doable on WW?
ew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #822
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Hi everybody. Just now getting back here...busy start to the week. All these posts about pasta--I can relate! It's sort of a trigger food for me, too. Ditto with potato chips, Yam-Yam. As long as they're there, I can eat them nonstop. There's no filling me up with stuff like that!!

BUT..........I did try something last night that helped me a lot. My family was begging for spaghetti, so I measured and tracked a small amount of pasta for me. But since "quantity" is such a big deal, I also sauteed a whole onion (zero points!) that I cut into rings about the same size as the spaghetti. Cut the rings down one side, so the pieces would flatten out like strands of spaghetti. Threw in a can of drained mushrooms, and when the onion was softened, I put it over the spaghetti and put sauce over it all. Plus a few tablespoons of parmesan. OMG, it was SO good!! VERY filling, and the onion really added extra flavor to the whole thing. I had tried the onion alone but I really like it mixed with the pasta much better. It stretched the dish, added some zing and added NO extra points. A real score and one I'll definitely do again.

Had my DD's birthday over the weekend. Total food overload. Pizza and cake. Dinner out. Apricot fried pies (swoon!). Ugh. Then we did Valentine's day early since older DD was home for the birthday celebration, so now we have chocolate everywhere. But yesterday, I just put it all out of sight. I think I'm going to take it and divvy it up into portions--or at least write the WW points values for everything on the outside so I know what I'm eating if I eat it. It's about the only way I can survive.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!!! Hope you have a great day!

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #823

Quote:
I tell you something Yam...when I hit the bag of chips, cause that is my downfall..I mindlessly eat.. and that is usually when I am stressed to the limit...they are making changes right now to my husband's job...if he loses that, like millions of others.. we lose everything, house, dogs everything...and it's silly thinking that binging is going to make it all better...you know it's like might as well punish me too....I think your so right..I have been enjoying a couple of pieces of fruit a day...it's making me fuller and satisfied... I just miss coming from Atkins, protein, with WW I have to be more careful...and I haven't been used to that.. but listen no portion control, and I need it to set me on track, show me what a portion is supposed to look like..
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notia View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome Ashley!
First day on points over. Was a lot easier than I had expected. The biggest problem was actually not having a whole lot in the kitchen. Need to go grocery shopping, but will have to wait until tomorrow.
I don´t think you actually have to eat pasta to do WW, even though they talk so much about it. I am planning to stay away from it as much as possible. But then again, if having controlled portions of pasta every once in a while keeps you from bingeing, I´d say go for it. My biggest down falls are both portion control and baked goods. I´m so tired of a cookie throwing me off program! And with WW I know it won´t be such a big deal.
Welcome Notia...sorry I missed your welcome.. I am kind of new here as well.. and trying to get my bearings with WW....coming from Atkins.. I have been apprehensive about adding back the pasta and rice...but then again, I have read so many posts where people have added it back and have lost weight...so I may just try adding a half portion, as I said like a condiment...I am a saltoholic.. so if there is a bag of chips or even those horrendous pringles.. I can eat the entire package and not think about it.. it's after I say to myself my goodness.. what did you do..binging and portion control is my biggest problem.. and I am noticing now that is starting to happen around 3pm....anyway wishing you much success...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Just thought of this...you should read Wheat Belly, it's a good, very eye opening book! It will explain exactly why when you binge you binge on pasta. It is one of the reasons I want to stay away from wheat, or at least cut down on the wheat.
I will definitely have to read that!!! I hear that is quite a book....By the way I have a 16 year old son... who is a chocolate/sweet freak...and he isn't overweight..don't want him to suffer like me.. but I watch him, when he is eating, to see how he does it.. and seriously, he will open a bag of chips and eat a few and put it away...open a bag of say cookies, he eat a couple and put it away...and he doesn't eat after 7pm...just a few sunflower seeds.. yeah we are sunflower seed family LOL...but me I will open the bag and eat it all...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #826

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinOK View Post
Hi everybody. Just now getting back here...busy start to the week. All these posts about pasta--I can relate! It's sort of a trigger food for me, too. Ditto with potato chips, Yam-Yam. As long as they're there, I can eat them nonstop. There's no filling me up with stuff like that!!

BUT..........I did try something last night that helped me a lot. My family was begging for spaghetti, so I measured and tracked a small amount of pasta for me. But since "quantity" is such a big deal, I also sauteed a whole onion (zero points!) that I cut into rings about the same size as the spaghetti. Cut the rings down one side, so the pieces would flatten out like strands of spaghetti. Threw in a can of drained mushrooms, and when the onion was softened, I put it over the spaghetti and put sauce over it all. Plus a few tablespoons of parmesan. OMG, it was SO good!! VERY filling, and the onion really added extra flavor to the whole thing. I had tried the onion alone but I really like it mixed with the pasta much better. It stretched the dish, added some zing and added NO extra points. A real score and one I'll definitely do again.

Had my DD's birthday over the weekend. Total food overload. Pizza and cake. Dinner out. Apricot fried pies (swoon!). Ugh. Then we did Valentine's day early since older DD was home for the birthday celebration, so now we have chocolate everywhere. But yesterday, I just put it all out of sight. I think I'm going to take it and divvy it up into portions--or at least write the WW points values for everything on the outside so I know what I'm eating if I eat it. It's about the only way I can survive.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!!! Hope you have a great day!
Happy Valentine's Day to you!!! OMG pass me some chocolate!! Hubs knows that I love nail polish, even at my age..and that I am not down with the neutral colors.. I like florescent, bold colors...right now I have my ink pen purple on...!! LOL ..anyway for Valentines Day.. he gave me some pumpkin seeds....(16 points for the entire bag)!!!! will be putting those in cabinet, and 7 bottles of bold nail polish....!!! no chocolate!!!

That is exactly what I meant about using the pasta as a condiment...like maybe when I make spaghetti, for me adding a ton of mushrooms, onions to bulk up the pasta and really a good way to get more veggies!!! now I am dying for spaghetti!!!!

Hope you have a good day today....

By the way Apricot fried pies???!!! MY GOODNESS!!!!! sounds fabulous...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #827

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew1 View Post
Hi, been doing WW online and wondered about Jamie/Cleo's cauliflower pizza crust-is that recipe doable on WW?
Elaine, don't know.. probably will have to go points calculator online and put in the nutritional information.. Cleo is so good about putting the nutritional information with her recipes...and you can access a points calculator online or if you have one.. I have one..the numbers are hard for me to read so most of the time I use the online one....
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #828
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning Everyone!

Sounds like we all have a chip issue. Definitely better for me not to have them in the house at all.

I had an awesome day yesterday. Well, it started off really tough. My tummy was growling like a bear and I was just so darn hungry! I grilled a steak, but by the time it was done and the smell was so wonderful, I was not as hungry.

So, I made a nice hot cup of Nestle's fat free, sugar free hot chocolate. I added a bit of sugar free cappuccino and half teaspoon of coconut oil. Yum! That just took away the hunger completely. Gonna remember to do that once per day from now on.

I make chicken breasts, cucumber/lettuce salad with some shredded cabbage thrown in and had lots of fat free, plain Greek yogurt. and, I drank as much iced water as I could stand. Stopped counting after 80 ounces.

And I tracked for the first time in 11 days! Forgot that I changed over to SFT so it's just easier to track and eat! When I went to the tracker, I thought "darn! I forgot to weigh the chicken breast!" but then I was happy! on SFT you don't HAVE to weigh it. You just eat to satisfaction, which is what I did.

Anyway, the scale was DOWN -3 pounds this morning! I almost fell off the scale! I got off and got back on just to make sure.

I think all those chips and pizza and carbs I had in Palm Springs all week probably made my body retain fluid. Two more pounds and I shall be back to my stats. did I already say "Whew!"? Thank you scale!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #829
Blabbermouth!!!

Question: Have any of you tried Quinoa? (I'm sure I'm not spelling it right).

I first heard about it at a WW meeting quite a while ago but never bought it. Well, I finally bought some a few weeks ago and I keep looking at it wondering if I will like it. It has eleven grams of fiber per serving and is a complete protein.

Wondered if I can cook it in my rice cooker? I'm going to just try cooking it in a pan today and see what it's like. I'm afraid I might not like it. wondering if it's bland and if I'll need to bulk it up with veggies or add some kind of spice or flavoring to it.

Any opinion/advice or recipes would be helpful.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #830
Blabbermouth!!!

Just wanted to add: Yes, I have a chip issue. And it's not a chip on my shoulder. It's chips that end up on my hips!!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #831
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Just wanted to add: Yes, I have a chip issue. And it's not a chip on my shoulder. It's chips that end up on my hips!!

You are doing really well! You make me laugh with your posts.

You aren't the only one with "issues." My name is DD80 and I have a cinnamon sugar almond problem. I forget about them every year until the Ren Faire is in town. I will not forget again...

I don't know about quinoa either...I'm interested to hear the answers. I bet you could do it in a rice cooker. I've had the pasta before and it cooks up like regular pasta. I also like the brown rice pasta. I think it tastes better than any whole wheat pasta every. You have to cook it a little less (or else it can get gummy), but if it's al dente, I taste no difference. I really love it.

Last edited by DD80; 02-14-2012 at 09:07 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #832

YAM!! Congrats!! I bought some quinoa too!!! Ashley I believe knows about it.. I think she told me to rinse it before I cook it I guess it's supposed to be a high protein grain.. but I bought some at Sprouts.. it's like a Whole Foods Market...and they have bulk items in barrels.. and I bought a scoop full..I normally do NOT go shopping there.. but their food ad is sent to my email and sometimes they have eggs and produce on sale...so I was scoping out the bulk bins and saw it...and bought it..

DD80.. Good Morning!!! I saw that brown rice pasta!!! OMG I gotta stay clear away.. I eat way too much of everything...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #833
Blabbermouth!!!

DD80: I've never heard of brown rice pasta. Now I'm going to have to look for it, too. I always buy brown basmatti rice. Was glad to see it listed as a green food in DD's book "The GI Diet". He is using that right now because about 6 months ago he was diagnosed w/ diabetes. He has been in denial and the metformin isn't working for him so doc put him on another med that's making him sick as a dog.

So, I finally convinced him he has to change his diet. He's a guy who eats ice cream every night, goes out to lunch every day with guys from work and eats french fries, fried chicken, burgers w/ white bread....you get the picture. Anyway, he needed something simple and easy to understand so I bought him the GI book. He likes it and has been trying really hard since we got back from Palm Springs.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #834
Blabbermouth!!!

Melinda: If you buy stuff from a bin, you probably have to look up how to cook it on line, right? On the package it says to cook it for only 15 minutes. That's why I was wondering about the rice cooker. May get over cooked in there.

Speaking of the rice cooker: I also bought some steel cut oats for DH and remember someone saying you could cook that in a rick cooker or in a crock pot over night. Gonna have to find out about that. DH loves oatmeal. I do too but if I eat it, it makes me hungry! Then I want to just keep eating all day. It's the carb-eating causing carb-craving syndrome for me.

I didn't know about needing to rinse the quinoa so thanks for mentioning that. Oops. Still spelling it wrong!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #835
Blabbermouth!!!

OH! I spelled it right! I thought if I spelled it right, it would automatically come up with a Netrition link like yours did. Didn't see that in my post before I hit submit.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #836

Yam.. my husband is a type 2 diabetic.. on Metformin and Januvia...anyway due to fast foods and things he loves, donuts, cookies, his sugar shot up to 155...and his mother was a full fledged diabetic..when I met her, she was legally blind, on dialysis 3 times a week...shooting insulin, everything.. the disease really just made her very ill and changed her.. and she died in her mid 50's.. so when I saw what was happening with hubs.. I put him on a modified Atkins....he ate and eats as much fruit a day he wants, I kid you not sometimes 8 pieces...and bread 3 nights a week, for when he works his night job.. other than that...the usual Atkins.. End of Feb.. he was 305...End of October he was 249 and his blood sugar is around the 103 range.. just the past 2 months he has been, you know sneaking in stuff.. but thankfully the sugar is still good...I just got scared and didn't want him to end up like his mother.. but my husband will not TRY anything new...nothing and it makes it harder.. so I thought I would try it first.. and if it's good I can buy myself a nice box at Trader Joes.. LOL I call it the poor man's Whole foods! LOL...If it's good and I can dress it up real good.. my hubs may eat it.. but I just have to put it in front of him first.. LOL even my kid wasn't like that LOL... I just remember Ashley telling me to rinse it first and then I saw it on the Food Network...Giada...

Last edited by crazyone; 02-14-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #837
Blabbermouth!!!

Melinda: Seriously, I'm feeling like I have a baby to take care of now. I do NOT want to be DH's mother! Sheesh! And, I refuse to tell him he cannot eat something. Last week when we were driving to Palm Springs we stopped for dinner. In the car I was explaining to him for the umpteenth time that potatoes -- french fries are NOT a non-starchy vegetable. They are carbs. They are sugar. They are not something we should be eating regularly. and, if we do, only a bite or two.

We order our dinner and what does he get? A BLT w/ HUGEST plate of french fries I've ever seen. I ordered grilled chicken breast and steamed brocolli and a small side salad with no dressing and EVOO/ACV on the side.

I did not say a word. He said, "You know I'm not going to eat all of these. Just a few". But guess what? he ate them all. I know. If it's on my plate, sitting in front of me, I will eat it.

Anyway, all of a sudden he's been asking me what to eat. I told him to eat what I eat!!! Really was surprised this morning. I heated up some frozen blueberries in a cereal bowl, sprinkled them with a small packet of Splenda, added fat free, plain Greek yogurt, stirred it and put it in front of him. He ATE it! He liked it!

Then I cooked one organic egg, put it in a sandwich thin with two slices of warmed up Foster Farms Oven Roasted deli turkey breast and he ate that and liked it! Miracles do happen. LOL.

So I showed him the box of quinoa and told him we will be trying that soon. Gotta make hay while the sun shines!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #838

Yam I hear you and I am right there with you, with my hubs too...we went grocery shopping and I thought he was getting a cookie for my son from the bakery...well as he is driving he pulls out 2 donuts.. I told hm if he doesn't stop that his weight and more importantly his sugar is going to go up...so then he is a nut freak, which is great for a low carb diet.. but like an ounce or two!!! He will eat the entire can...but I think once your hubs sees the results...it will motivate him.. mine is just messing up on purpose for the months he was strict...man I have those sandwich thins, and that sandwich sounds so good Yam!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #839
Blabbermouth!!!

Melinda: My DD bought me this adorable little skillet that cooks one egg or egg white perfectly round. It's diameter is the same as the sandwich thin! And I found a little spatula made by the same company. So, I spray some cooking spray in that little pan, mix the egg up in a bowl and cook it. Slide it onto a warmed up sandwich thin, add the turkey slices and it's just like one of the breakfast sandwiches you get at a fast food restaurant. I love it!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #840
Blabbermouth!!!

Same thing with DH and the nuts. He gets it in his mind that something is good for him. ("but I heard pop corn is good for you!" so he orders the large, buttered, refillable tub when we go to the movies!!! and, eats it all!!!). We got a gift box with huge bags of salted almonds, pistachio nuts and cashews. He opened it on Friday. Saturday morning I found the almond bag (I'm talking a pound or more) with only about 3 nuts left in it. I asked him what happened? He said, "You told me almonds are good for me!"