Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Pat posted this a few days ago: You can get the calculator free on line by googling weight watchers pro point calculator. Pro point and points plus are the same thing--one is English and the other American, but the same program.
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: srsmom
Stats: 196/178.4/140 5'3.5"
WOE: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead juice on since 12/27/13
Start Date: May 22, 2004
Just popping in to add that Dottie has some of the restaurant items converted to Points Plus now, too.
srsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
How's everybody doing! I'm just completing my 2nd week on WW and I'm down 6 pounds. This is more than I've been able to lose on a month of low carbing previously, so something's working! I'm thinking alot of it is my stress level has gone down enormously because now I can cook for the family and not worry about who's not gonna eat what anymore. They're following my plan and don't even know it! I stay away from bread wherever possible and processed stuff, but I gotta say, I'm LOVING all the fruit. I do have pasta, but I do either whole wheat or Dreamfield's when I can find it. Seems to be working ok right now!

The big change for me is I committed to walking/jogging a half-marathon with my BFF next July. So I have had to actually get my booty out the door and on the road. I've only begun walking this past week but have really enjoyed it alot and am excited to get going with the running portion of things. I'm going to try using the C25K program to get me started and eased into things, this ole girl hasn't run since high school (I won't tell ya how long that's been!), and I swore I would never run again unless I was being chased. I do need to get my jog on tho' because we need to make sure we can finish the race in the time allotted. Very excited to see what changes I can bring on in 9 months!

Hope everyone is doing well and having much success!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Desert: Weigh to go!!

I haven't officially weighed in (My week was up today) but I think I need to wait a day or two. . I tackled some salt yesterday and I can tell I need to increase my water.

All and all I had a good week. .been doing exactly what you are doing.. Feeding my family while trying to do it low carb/WW friendly. .I bypass the bread, starches and processed stuff whenever I can. However, if I happen to grab something I shouldn't (off low carb). .I know I still have my WW points to take into consideration. . So far it seems to be working for me as I haven't binged all week and haven't felt guilty. That's huge for me!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinOK View Post
Pat posted this a few days ago: You can get the calculator free on line by googling weight watchers pro point calculator. Pro point and points plus are the same thing--one is English and the other American, but the same program.
I also have a scanner for my Iphone. . which will scan the bar code and give you the point value. .very handy: it is Diet Scan Calc. . has different names for different phones. . but I love it!!! Try it. .
IM2fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Just popping into say last week's weigh in I was down 1/2 lb, this week I was up 1.2 lbs but my TOM is approaching so I expected that. I did mess up last week by not really counting my points, I was getting lazy and my portion size went up considerably... Today I goofed up again by pulling out the last 2 WW frozen meals that I had in the freezer and plowed through both of them, I'm going to be in a carb coma tonight! Back to strict low carb tomorrow, no beating myself up. I'm also resetting my goal from 140 to 130, I can do it!

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Good to see you, Becky. Yes, you CAN do it!! So can the rest of us!! Sometimes we limp along and fall flat, but getting back up is the key! I kind of got in a higher-carb trap myself, mostly because it was easy. Stayed in my points range, but they weren't the kinds of points I needed if I planned to stay LC. Tomorrow will be better!!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lancer1977
Stats: 297/More healthy/Very healthy
WOE: Atkins 72ish
Start Date: 9/23/2011
Well, fat is weighed around 4 grams per point, carbs 10, and protein 11, so you can eat more protein then anything. Before I think carbs were probably in the 15+ comparably. So high protein is ok, and so long as your not tring to eat whole pork shoulders includig the fatty parts you will do well I think doing a mix. Cutting out the carbs frees up a lot of points to spend on fat, so it pretty much balances. It just gives you a more confied limit to how much which I feel is good for some folk. I love LC, my wife loves WW. So I do WW with her, and just reduce my carbs and it all kind of works out. I do have a little icecream now and then tho. :X
lancer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I am interested in a lc WW way of life. Any chance anyone else wants to make this a challenge group?

I went to my first meeting yesterday. I was shocked at how much I had even eating on lc, so I think WW might keep me accountable on portion control.

Thanks to everyone who has given guidelines and encouragement already.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

It's pretty easy just watch fat intake a bit, I really am probably around 50% protein, 20% carb, 30% fat. So not a Atkins perfection but it meets my goals for protein consumption since I do weight training too.
2 eggs, sausage patty (8 points)
can of tuna, relish, lettuce, 2 tbsp miracle whip (3-4)
Michellina tv dinner (5 points)
Sunflower seeds (4 points)
and usually some chicken thighs + salad + medium carb side (15+)
Skinny cow ;X are 4 points... wife loves icecream and I can't let her suffer through it alone
Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome aboard, Magnamater and Lancer! I just posed the question a few weeks ago, and it looks like a lot of folks are having the same thoughts about WW and LC coexisting!

I had a bit of a "honeymoon" with WW the first 7-8 days and sampled a lot of non-LC things I normally wouldn't have eaten. But now that I'm feeling more comfortable with the plan and how I can use the points, I'm really dialing it back to more strict LC.

One thing I'm doing is going through all of my favorite LC recipes and calculating the WW points for them. It's amazing how many will fit easily into my plan! In fact, I'm somewhat allergic to eggs, so breakfast can be a challenege for me. But I found a pumpkin custard recipe that I've used for ages, and if you make 5-6 servings out of it, it's either 6 or 7 WW points. And I didn't change a thing! I also love the convenience of having a breakfast I can grab and go. Plus, the pumpkin & spices taste like fall, and that makes me happy. Here's the recipe:

PUMPKIN CUSTARD (not sure whose recipe it is!)

3 eggs
1 15-oz can pumpkin (NOT pie filling!)
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves
3/4 cup Splenda (or 18 packets or liquid sweetener)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk together. Pour into 5-6 custard cups. Bake at 350 for about 45 min or until top is set. Cool and refrigerate. It's 36 WW points for the whole thing, according to their online recipe builder. Since pumpkin is zero points, you're only counting the egg, cream & Splenda.

It tastes just like pumpkin pie. You could even put whipped cream on it and eat it for dessert. If you don't have custard cups, just put it in a glass pie dish and bake, then cut into servings. Nummy!!!

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson

Last edited by SHinOK; 09-29-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Shin, I'm more of a cookie dough guy myself. Or cheesecake... ahem. My wife will love this one! She is so addicted to pumpkin pie. We had it a lot when we did straight LC. My goals arn't to give myself a carb goal, just to cut out carbs where I can. Eat a lot less burritos and more burrito bowls. More Chicken salads less chicken sandwiches. We occasionally eat some junk so long as we account for it in points. I don't use any of the 40 extra points a week they alot. Always seemed like a reciepe to stall or gain.

Yeah my goals atm are to rely heavily on LC products when I do eat carbs, I don't buy the mysterious "magical non absorbing carb" nonsense of some products... but since a lot of them are actually really good on WW now I can judge my cal intake. LC Yogurt 2 points from kroger, LC Bread 1 point per slice. We do incorporate a thin crust pizza here and there.

Wevo en la Copa[AKA Egg in a cup] (5 points) - Had a couple soft boiled eggs with a teaspoon of oil and toast mixed in. Grandma called it Wevo en la copa.
Tuna Salad (3) - 2 oz tuna(2), lettuce, sweet LC relish (0), 2 TBSP Light Miracle Whip (1)
Lunch Applebees (12)... omg it was soo delicious. 7 oz sirloin covered in a cream sauce and shrimp, brocolli, and Maybe 1-2 small red potatoes diced. It was all very tasty. Wife added it up to 13 points for the meal. Probably around 12 since brocolli is really 0. Had mine medium rare... was so tender and tasty. mmm need to go back.
Thin crust Buffalo pizza from Kroger (19) - Higher on carbs yeah but its quite tasty.
Snacked on some palmetos (hearts of palm (0)) and some artichoke hearts marinated in oil and vinegar I believe (2 points).

Overall a good day. What are you guys eatting who are following a lower carb WW plan?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
I'm so happy to see this thread taking off. When I keep a journal of what I am eating with the points, I lose quite nicely. When I just guesstimate what I'm eating, I maintain--which is much better than guesstimating when doing low carb because then I gain. Unfortunately, I am in maintaining mode right now. I must get back on track.

Linda Sue's recipes are great. I love her quiches and most of them come to about 8 points per serving. Her spinach lasagna (my favorite food) is 10 points for a big serving. For the pumpkin lovers, Bobo's thick pumpkin shake is 8 points of pure goodness.

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Lancer, that steak sounds fantastic! I may have to make a trip to Applebee's one of these days soon. Yum!

Pat, I'm with you. If I don't keep track, nothing happens. It kind of makes me mad, but it's the way things are for me, and I need to just grow up and deal with it!

I had a splurge last night--made LindaSue's Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes. OMG. It was one of the best things I have EVER eaten--LC, WW or whatever. It was delicious. Fifteen WW points but well worth it. Had it with a big salad. Even having it for lunch today (yay for leftovers!). It's a big points hit, but we all loved it. Will just have to plan around it whenever I want to eat it again.

Let's talk measuring.....it's easy to forget how important it is. I learned yesterday that I have been seriously mis-calculating the cream in my morning coffee, so I was actually consuming a LOT more points from it than I had previously thought. So, I'm cutting it back a lot and will only splurge on the weekends. I've always wondered if cream might be causing me problems but was too stubborn to give it up. That ah-ha moment sort of proved that it very well might be true. Dang it.....

Hope everybody has a great Friday and weekend!!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shari, have you tried Linda Sue's Houston Chicken? It's another of my favorites, and has 9 points.

Pat
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Nope, but I'm gonna go look it up now. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Counting can go both ways I have found too. I've had an issue with over estimating the value of food. Since there are points. No half points or quarter points. So where 1 serving of marinated artichokes is 1 point, 2 are still 1 point.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I feel like this could be a really good thing.

I have needed to stay gluten free for a while, and even though I am coming off a major lapse in judgment where I ate gluten, the ill health wasn't worth it. So if I watch my fruits, and keep to berries and melon, and if I do do sugar, I should be ok, carb wise. At least moderate, not ketosis good.

I have noticed a bit of hunger. . .maybe it is coming off carbs, maybe it is the lower fat?

It is getting better.

And I think clean veggies could help.

So let's do it!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Hope everybody had a great weekend! We were SO busy and outside a lot, now I'm dying of allergies. Sneezing, sniffly, watery eyes. Ugh. I'm ready for ragweed to DIE!!!

Had a pretty good food weekend. I'm finding that I like counting points online better than in my little pocket tracker. I guess it doesn't really matter where you do it as long as you do it consistently. Feeling a tad of extra room in my waistband this morning. These pants were really tight a couple of weeks ago but feel fine today, so I'm hoping that will mean some good news on my Wed weigh-in. Just hoping all this horrible sinus drainage doesn't sabotage my numbers....gag!

Have a great day, all!!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I think this thread is very cool

Im trying to do my own combo - mostly low carb, but I do like fruit. Grains are not really my friend and sugar is like cocaine to me! So I am really interested in learning more about this!

have a great day ya'll
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Jump right in, Wendalina! We're glad to have you!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

It really killed me to watch my mother on old weight watchers. She would cut out almost all protein and fat and just gorge on carbs since they had the lowest value. There isn't a wrong way I don't believe of WW/LC. So long as your in your guidelines, I just always see more results in the waistline when I maintain healthy protein levels and dont consume as much starch. Weekend wasen't too bad for me. Parents grilled up teriyaki steaks. Probably ate too much but just had light b-fast/lunch.

I've been making some spicy dip lately... hidden valley ranch with franks red hot sauce... good for what ails ya! Dippin everything in it... my tongue doesnt work anymore however...
Old 10-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

The dip sounds great, Lancer. I made some chicken strips last week, and I mixed some Frank's hot sauce with the eggs I dipped the chicken in before I dipped in the coating. That was fantastic--and very spicy!

Tomorrow is weigh-in day. Two weeks since the last one (leader was on vacation). I FEEL like I've lost, but the scale can be cruel. But I've stuck with my points without going over, and my pants are looser, so I'm going in with a positive attitude. And fingers crossed!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Yeah gorging on teriyaki soaked steaks apparently wasen't a wonderful plan, bit up today. Half my problem lately is waking up at 5am. I get bad morning munchies, dont want to eat too much so early then I end up eatting twice instead of once.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My one week weigh in was -3 lbs. I was moderate carbs already. Not exactly earth shattering compared to induction, but we will see over the long haul

Anyone else?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome, Magnamater! That's great!

Just got back from my meeting after a 2-week hiatus (leader on vacay), and I lost 6.4 pounds!! That's a total of 10.4 over three weeks! Of course, I have a lot to lose, and it always comes off fast at the start, but I'll take it. I'm also not eating 100% LC, but I am NOT eating any LF/FF processed garbage. I'm also not skimping on points. I eat every single one of them--even my entire weekly points allowance. I just cannot tolerate being hungry, so keeping good fats (cream, butter, cream cheese, real salad dressing) and plenty of protein on the menu goes a long way to keeping me on track.

Also loving the eTools tracker for my points. I thought I would like the paper one better, but nope. Loving the online one best...
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shari and Magna you must be so happy with your losses. I got back on track on the first of the month and I will weigh in tomorrow. I hope your success is catching. I've been sticking pretty close to the 20 points a day. I'm afraid to go into the weekly points. One glass of wine and I start digging into the almonds. At least with the cooler weather ice cream isn't calling my name quite so loudly.

Pat
Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I shouldn't try to post before I've had breakfast--obviously I'm sticking close to 29 points a day, not 20.

Pat
Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
[QUOTE=lancer1977Skinny cow ;X are 4 points... wife loves icecream and I can't let her suffer through it alone[/QUOTE]

Such a nice husband, I have one like you. Always willing to help me get through lifes little sufferings.
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, Pat, glad you're back. And REALLY glad you're not just eating 20 points! Yikes!

I'm on vacation tomorrow--spending the day with my DD, who is out of school for the day--so I probably wont' check in again until Monday. Hang in there, all!! We can DO this!