Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dee744
Stats: 8-11-180/12-11-159.5/140
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: Jan 08
Good morning all and happy new years! I will not be on plan for longer than i thought I was in an car accident yesterday and broke my r arm and multiple cuts. I'm ok but will be posting less as 1 hand typing is hard. but will keep reading and still try to lose what i can.
Dee744 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #452
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ArdMaine
Stats: 6' 230/230/199
WOE: General low carb, less than 25gm carbs, whole food
Start Date: 6/15/14
Hello everyone!! I am a Newbie. This thread has so much interesting info, thank you!!

Dee744 I am sorry to hear you were in a wreck!

I am Joining WW this week, with my mom. I am very excited.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
This is what I wrote on 1/27 last year; I think part of what made it so difficult for me to have success with maintenance was that I didn't have time to adjust to the change. I learned that for me to maintain I would have to eat no more than 1200 to 1300 calories; MWL clinic determined that by doing a breath calorie expenditure test on me. What a shock....you hear that most people are to go to 1000 to 1200 in order to LOSE, I will have to be there to maintain. Truth be told, I kind of rebelled against that news and when things got tough went back to my old eating habits. Wha la...eventually got about all the weight back. Go figure.
Here's what I wrote in response to someone who had posted: "Keri- Your calorie range is 1800....mine is 1200 to 1300, as my final lifelong range per MWL in order to maintain. My problem? I still try to sometimes eat like I've never heard of how to limit carbs! (Eating like a true (truly fat, pre-diabetic) American! The lab numbers above show me where that kind of eating got me...Insulin resistant and high cholestrol/triglycerides. But eating correctly, the MWL way, saves me from self-destruction."
Now I've proven that I can self-destruct...by gaining again. So, WW meets LC, thank you for allowing me in this group. I need answers I can live with!! Motivated and have day 1 under my belt....was originally going to start 1/10/12 but just had to make a start now!!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #454
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Dee! So sorry about the accident. Been there. Done that. Hang in there. WE are here for you.

Fit2010: I just cook w/ EVOO and use it on my salads because I love it and know it's good for me. I don't go nuts with it. Just use it when possible.

Happy New Year Everyone!!! World!!!

I have been awesomely busy with my family. Took the grand kids to the park today. Just love how I feel now. Running around like a kid and going down the tall slide and climbing on all the kiddie stuff.

Wanted to check in tonight and just say I'm thinking of you all and wishing you the best of the best in 2012!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #455
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I am up and heading out soon for my FIRST WW Wi and meeting. I am so, so, so excited/scared. I had a horrible time finding clothes that fit/flattered. I frankly look like a bloated...IDK what. Even my eyelids feel puffy.

I admit to a massive binge yesterday, and NOW it's over. When I return home from my meeting I am going to re-organize my cabinets and pantry...geting rid of anything that tempts me to binge. Funny thing is I binged on nasty stuff I don't even like (cheerios, candy canes, Potato chips, frozen cookie dough).

Ok Wish my Luck!!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee744 View Post
Good morning all and happy new years! I will not be on plan for longer than i thought I was in an car accident yesterday and broke my r arm and multiple cuts. I'm ok but will be posting less as 1 hand typing is hard. but will keep reading and still try to lose what i can.
Dee So sorry to hear about your accident. Hoping for a quick recovery for you. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing whenever you can.
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #457
Senior LCF Member

To all the Newbies. Glad to have you here.

Ended the old year and started the new with an 11 lb loss which was mostly done in December so I'm very very pleased. Ate off the last few days of the year or I would have had a 12 or 13 lb loss, but I can definitely deal with the 11.

I have to take DH to the hospital for his outpatient INR blood work today then will bring him home so I can run a few errands. One of which is going to purchase some fruit and raw veggies and lite/low calories dressings for dip. I am back on plan and doing very well. As a lady at church told me about WW, it is the easiest way of eating I've ever done. It really makes it easy to do WW/Moderate lowcarb as well.

Have a great Monday.

Patty

I will Eat to Live! I will NOT Live to Eat!
I WILL NOT ALLOW FOOD TO HAVE ANY
POWER OVER ME!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kerri
Stats: 222/203 /150....
WOE: Atkins, LCHF
Start Date: Over and Over and over AGAIN...
Dee.. I am sorry about your accident..I only type with one finger on each hand so you would still be better then me with a full hand to use.
Feel better soon....

August...good luck with your weigh-in...Tell us all about your 1st meeting...

Fit2010..I have lost weight and found it again many times over the years..Its been a different program every time,they all work its staying thats so hard to do...

I had a pig-out myself on NYS EVE...But I am back on track for the new year..I am still trying to decide how I will combine the 2 plans..They are so opposite if you follow true LC and true WW so how to modify.....
I know I eat alot so 1st to tackle is portion size...I know there are a few plans out there where they rotate days..one day LC the next WW(high carb)
they suggest fat with protein no carbs one day the next is protein and carbs and no fat...From what I understand our bodies don't like carbs and fat together....It can make ya nuts...and I love nuts, another weakness of mine...

Patty..Congrats on that loss...That is so great....

I alone can do it. But I can't do it alone.

The beginnings of all things are small..

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment

Last edited by kerri; 01-02-2012 at 09:18 AM..
kerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #459
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rapunzel64
Stats: 174.8/171/135
WOE: My own version of LC
Start Date: 1/9/2012
A question: are you all counting carbs as well as PointsPlus?
rapunzel64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Dee, so sorry about the accident and broken right arm. That would be one difficult thing to do without. . .if one is right handed. You just read. . .and know we are pulling for you.

I needed to remember the LC part of my commitment. My carb intake has been slipping up, with the added hunger. So I have come up with a few strategies:

1. More protein. Protein first! I have made glucomannon pudding with protein powder and almond milk. It is 3 servings, to be eaten between meals, for 3 points plus total, or a point a serving. Glucomannon is supposed to also be filling.

2. Remind myself that I need to stay at least moderately LC. Now I can add fruits before the hunger sets in, but the grains. . .as in, I made bran muffins with LC flour mix. . .and they set me off. As did oatmeal. So those are triggers.

3. Don't eat trigger foods. Quit lying to myself that it isn't a trigger!!!

Well, that's it for now. Tomorrow is weigh in and I'm not at all sure I have stayed true enough to my own tweaks of WW to have been successful. Like, even though I have stayed within my WP+, I can't have them all and lose. And skipping a day of exercise. Hope I'm being too critical of myself.

Best of luck to everyone on our journey.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

rapunzel, I guess we were posting at the same time.

I haven't been counting carbs.. .but maybe I need too!!! If I get those under control, maybe I won't be so hungry. I haven't had any carbs today, have had 9 P+, and I'm hungry at 11:23 a.m. Know it will get better!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #462
Junior LCF Member

Magna, I dread the thought of counting one more thing but will do so if the "experts" think it will help!

I'm also wondering about counting Protein as Yam-Yam suggests.

Just kinda overwhelmed with it all right now.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #463
Junior LCF Member

Welcome, August! I'm a newbie here, too. Looking forward to hearing about your first meeting!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #464
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dee744
Stats: 8-11-180/12-11-159.5/140
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: Jan 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
rapunzel, I guess we were posting at the same time.

I haven't been counting carbs.. .but maybe I need too!!! If I get those under control, maybe I won't be so hungry. I haven't had any carbs today, have had 9 P+, and I'm hungry at 11:23 a.m. Know it will get better!!!
i have been tracking on *********.com as well as my phone for ww. if u use firefox for your browser you can get an add on called grease monkey, then search from their page for ww points. I think the points may be from the plan but it gives pts to everything so u have to back out the points but with ********* you get a complete breakdown of what u r eating so that helps a loy.

i too found i was getting more hungry as time went on and realized i was running bout 180-230 carbs a day so have to cut them way back.
greasemonkey only works on the ********* page to give u a ww points in addition to carbs,fat etc.

doing better today, got all insurance stuff going, still lots of pain and from what i understand will be for several weeks . of course sore now all over but making it. thanks for all of the support now if i coulf get someone to cook for me i could get back on plan!
Dee744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #465
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the info, Dee, will check it out!

Hope you're feeling better. Wish we lived closer, I'd love to come cook for you!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #466
Blabbermouth!!!

Rapunzel: You don't have to count carbs or protein. If you are tracking with Points Plus and eating 3 or more servings of lean protein a day and having 3 servings of FF dairy, you will be getting enough protein.

If you use the on line tracker, there is a little blue link under the food that you click on to find out points plus values. The link says "nutrient details" and it will tell you how many grams of protein and carbs are in that food as well as fat and fiber. Very helpful. When I do focus on counting grams of protein, I just click on that link and then enter the number on the tracker where it says "notes" right at the bottom of the daily tracker.

As far as carb limiting goes here is my plan:

Have protein every time you eat. Eat protein first. Do not eat starchy vegetables or grains or fruit. If, every time you eat, you have protein and/or fat free dairy first you will feel full quickly. Any green veggies (raw is best like leafy greens, spinach etc. and if you cook them, don't over cook. Under cook. Al dente? can't spell that!) Any green veggies you eat after that will have very few carbs.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #467
Blabbermouth!!!

I was just talking to a WW friend about eating at Mexican restaurants.

I always order chicken or steak fajitas with a green side salad, oil and vinegar dressing on the side. Corn tortillas if you are going to have tortillas. Never flour tortillas.

Start eating your chicken or steak right away. Portions are usually generous. Even if you eat a bunch, you will still have enough left to put in your corn tortilla.

The chicken starts to fill me up right away. Then I put a bunch of lettuce, lots of chicken, maybe a bit of beans and a bunch of the cooked green peppers and onions into the tortilla. You can dump some salsa on it.

Very fun and time consuming to play around with. Extremely filling. By the time I finish eating half of that, I'm full and ask for a box. Everyone else with me is usually done eating by the time I'm done playing with my food!

Oh, and order lots of iced green tea. Drink, drink, drink while you eat!

Eating protein or fat free dairy first, before anything else is always my strategy. You will succeed if you do this.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #468
Blabbermouth!!!

Good afternoon everyone!

I had my first meeting at 9:30 a.m. It was VERY good. My "Leader" was engaging and empowering. There were about 30 members, my mother and I being the only newbies. There were MANY Lifetimer's...so THAT was inspirational.

I guess the only downside was my weight. I was HIGHER than when I started L/C in November.

My Menu:

2 C. Coffee 4Tbsp 1/2&1/2- 2 points

L/C wrap,
Lettuce Red Peppers,
Lean Ham 2 oz,
Mustard, total 5 points

Still trying to wade through all this information but I feel good. I feel like I CAN do it. Gosh, I hope I can do it.
ArdMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #469
Junior LCF Member

August, so glad you enjoyed your meeting!! The upside definitely outweigh the down, right? Good for you for taking that step!

Yam-Yam, thanks again! I had forgotten about that "show nutrients" option!
You also reminded me to pick up some steamer bags at the grocery store. I never cooked anything except for veggies in them before so this will be interesting!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

August, it is interesting that you had lots of lifetime members at your meeting. Especially during the holidays, the life timers have outnumbered the Losers about 2 to 1 at my meetings. Makes me really want to get to goal and be a successful Lifetimer.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and August, weighing in public on scales fully clothed, whether at the doctors or at WW is a shock if you have normally weighed at home. After this week, your mind will take care of the duality of home ( mine are 2 lbs. light) and the time of day and clothes. I hope not to get involved with the games of not drinking liquids, etc. that one can get into. But I am human!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

Yam-Yam, You always have good tips! So, do you just melt the EVOO just prior to putting it on your salad? Do you add flavorings? I would think that would taste wonderful with spinach, red onions, and some bacon!

Oldest DD and her husband arrive tomorrow, then other DD and boyfriend come Wednesday evening....we will be hanging out for the next 4 to 5 days and celebrate a late family Christmas! Wish me well! I don't plan to be completely on plan...but I can tell with just 2 days on plan under my belt that my belly is much happier!! I will be ready to get good and started next week!!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #473
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Hey, all! Look at all this great activity on our thread!! SO glad to have everybody here, and man alive, do I NEED this today..... Had a few serious run-ins with sugar and starchy carbs, and I've been paying for it (puffy, tired, horrible cravings). Back on track today, and I already feel better--just after one day! Sheesh.

For some reason, I can't get on here from my home computer. So I'm not ignoring you; I've just been off work since 12/22 and am just back today. Will go hunt for that login info so I can get situated at the house, too.

Hey, Rapunzel, I read Mark's Daily Apple every day (the Primal Blueprint guy) and have for years. While I LOVE everything he talks about, it's just getting myself to do it that's the problem. But his Friday success stories are SO incredible! I look forward to reading those every week. I honestly was thinking just this morning that if (God forbid) our WWatWork class doesn't make again, I might do the PB as much as possible just to see how it works for me. Really, it sounds SO logical and healthy to me and pretty simple, but it's probably too high fat to use with WW. To me, it sounds like the perfect human WOE--the way we were meant to eat, you know?

Well, got to finish up for the day. You all have me excited about staying on plan, and that's exactly what I needed! See you tomorrow!!!

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Shari - Okay...I'll take the bait (!)....you have GOT to tell us about the Primal Blueprint. Is that a WOE based on how you are built? Do explain!!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

It is based on how humans ate before agriculture introduced grains/refined foods. Think caveman food. It's essentially meat, fat, oils, nuts, lots of non-starchy veggies and occasional fruit. He allows some red wine or very dark chocolate and says to aim for an "80/20" success rate--meaning, you should stick with it at least 80% of the time to be successful.

He also promotes "playing" and "lifting heavy things" as exercise and thinks running shoes should be avoided because he says they put your body in an unnatural stance for exercise. Mark used to be a hard-core fitness junkie, running marathons, etc. Now he exercises "naturally" and looks amazingly fit for a 50-something guy. You can go to marksdailyapple and find out all you want to know about the Primal Blueprint there (look on the right-hand column for links).

It's fascinating stuff. If you sign up for his newsletters, you should be able to get links to his cookbooks and things, too.

Like I said, I love it (the concept). I just can't stick with it. Or really (to be honest) can get myself to do it! I think there's a Paleo board on this site somewhere. It's not all Primal Blueprint, but a lot of it is similar in theory.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #476
Major LCF Poster!

Well, lookie there! There IS a paleo support thread on this site:
Primal Blueprint Daily Support Thread
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, thanks. I definitely see that refined foods and excess grains are what has added to American (and most modern) society downfall health-wise. Just think of back in the days of England and kings....some royalty gave the king sugary treats and the havoc it caused. I don't have the story right now, but perhaps you could google it!

BTW - MY black kitty, Storm, looks just like your avatar kitty! My Storm is now 17 years old!! Love him so much!!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #478
Major LCF Poster!

We LOVE black kitties! That's Tinky. We rescued him when he was a baby--his mom had been hit by a car near our church, and my daughter and I managed to nab him. He's about 4, I think.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #479
Senior LCF Member

I'm just counting my WW pts hoping I will not have to count anything else. So far it seems to be working for me. I really don't want to count anything else.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #480
Blabbermouth!!!

Deb: Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) comes in a bottle and does not need to be melted or anything. It's pourable. I always buy "First Cold Pressed". It says that right on the bottle and it's the healthiest.

For salads or spinach or anything I just pour it right on. And, if it's a salad, I usually follow that with a good pouring of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). I buy the organic ACV because it's healthier.

I'm so like everyone else! I fell off the wagon a few times over the holidays and now I feel soooooooooo much better being OP. No more chocolates, ice cream, apple pie or mashed potatoes for me! Oh, and popcorn. lol. Although I did make it with my air popper and just sprayed it w/ ICBINB. So, not too bad. I was happy to see that the spray has no sodium. Yay!