Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/191.8/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: This time: 12/17/14
Yam yam, I like what you said about WW having the structure, and always being ready to welcome us back. How true is that, and it's awesome!

I'm having a rough go of it this week, but am determined to get things back on track.

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #422
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Dg: Me too. The biggest thing that kept me faithful to WW on line this year was the idea of do-overs and fresh starts. I like logging in every morning and seeing a whole new set of DPs for the day. I like seeing the new WPs on WI day. I like being able to earn APs and see those get refreshed when I do the work.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #423
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: amadeus4313
Stats: 244/218/144 74 more to go
WOE: One Day At A Time
I'm back on track for today. I had a little help from a stomach bug yesterday. Nothing like a little nausea to keep you honest. LOL
I am at 32 points for the day. A vast improvement from previous days.
amadeus4313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
Hi Everyone,

DH is home and has a long recovery, but hopefully will be okay. I got back OP Monday and am back down to the weight I was when he went into the hospital which means I've lost 12 lbs total so far. Sorry I'm not around much lately, just so busy with DH. He is going to hospital for blood tests everyday now as an outpatient. So will be back as soon as possible. Hope everyone is doing well.
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dee744
Stats: 8-11-180/12-11-159.5/140
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: Jan 08
Patty, so glad he is home and the stent procedure went well. I cannot imagine the stress of this on top of the holiday season, but you do what you what you have to do.
As for weight I am struggling for sure. Have gained back a couple of lbs, just not mentally ready to go at it again. I like whoever said that WW has a structure and we can go back start over etc anytime. That is so true.

My problem with WW is I am hungry a lot if the time, which I never was doing lc, so I really need help getting ww to less carbs and still livable. I eat a variety of foods and get bored fast with he same stuff, for me if I can get the fat and protiein up and carbs down I will do fine. Jan 2, I am back on I work the 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattygirl View Post
Hi Everyone,

DH is home and has a long recovery, but hopefully will be okay. I got back OP Monday and am back down to the weight I was when he went into the hospital which means I've lost 12 lbs total so far. Sorry I'm not around much lately, just so busy with DH. He is going to hospital for blood tests everyday now as an outpatient. So will be back as soon as possible. Hope everyone is doing well.
Dee744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #426
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee744 View Post
My problem with WW is I am hungry a lot if the time, which I never was doing lc, so I really need help getting ww to less carbs and still livable. I eat a variety of foods and get bored fast with he same stuff, for me if I can get the fat and protiein up and carbs down I will do fine. Jan 2, I am back on I work the 1st.
Dee: When I tried WW Momentum in 2010 I was so hungry ALL the time. I just could not stick with it at all. The great thing with Points Plus is that, for me, it works perfectly right along LC and I'm never hungry. I have the freedom to feel like I can eat anything, but find that sticking to lots of lean protein and fat free dairy just kills hunger.

You would probably really enjoy reading Dr. Pierre Dukan's book, "The Dukan Diet". I got it on amazon after Dr. Oz featured the diet. There is some great info in there. He says protein produces a hormone reaction that creates a natural appetite suppressant. combine that with the fact that protein takes a long time to digest and keeps you full it's perfect for losing weight. Combine it with lots of water and it's a diuretic, naturally, so you don't retain fluids. It helps burn fat and build muscle.

This is something that really, really helped me: Divide your current body weight by 2. The number you come up with is the minimum grams of lean protein you need to eat each day in order to stay healthy and lose or maintain weight. I've gotten really creative in finding foods that give me the most protein grams and low points plus values for my buck. Tilapia and Greek yogurt (FF) are great examples. 23 grams of protein per serving and very low points. 2 for tilapia, 3 for 8 oz. greek yogurt.

Think PROTEIN plus POINTS PLUS and you will never be hungry.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #427
Blabbermouth!!!

So, yesterday I got totally back on the wagon and stayed OP all day. I drank lots of water and iced green tea. I ate lots of lean protein including a salmon fillet for dinner with a big pile of fresh spinach sauteed in EVOO.

Could not believe my eyes this morning when the scale was -3 pounds from yesterday!

Guess I was right about all the salt in the mashed potatoes, gravy and ham. I really do have to watch it with sodium. I feel like that's all out of my system now. Tried on all my new skinny jeans this morning (size 12) and they all fit great, feel comfortable and look terrific. No muffin top or bulges whatsoever. Whew!

I'm now on my way for 2012 and ready to knock of 20 pounds this coming year and keep it off forever!!!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 12-29-2011 at 09:31 AM..
Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

So you watch carbs too or just protein what about fats? Do you still eat fruit or just try to keep it to vegs and salads? I need all the help you can offer, thanks Dee. P.S can't do FF anything,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Dee: When I tried WW Momentum in 2010 I was so hungry ALL the time. I just could not stick with it at all. The great thing with Points Plus is that, for me, it works perfectly right along LC and I'm never hungry. I have the freedom to feel like I can eat anything, but find that sticking to lots of lean protein and fat free dairy just kills hunger.

You would probably really enjoy reading Dr. Pierre Dukan's book, "The Dukan Diet". I got it on amazon after Dr. Oz featured the diet. There is some great info in there. He says protein produces a hormone reaction that creates a natural appetite suppressant. combine that with the fact that protein takes a long time to digest and keeps you full it's perfect for losing weight. Combine it with lots of water and it's a diuretic, naturally, so you don't retain fluids. It helps burn fat and build muscle.

This is something that really, really helped me: Divide your current body weight by 2. The number you come up with is the minimum grams of lean protein you need to eat each day in order to stay healthy and lose or maintain weight. I've gotten really creative in finding foods that give me the most protein grams and low points plus values for my buck. Tilapia and Greek yogurt (FF) are great examples. 23 grams of protein per serving and very low points. 2 for tilapia, 3 for 8 oz. greek yogurt.

Think PROTEIN plus POINTS PLUS and you will never be hungry.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #429
Blabbermouth!!!

Dee: I don't eat trans fats (not on purpose anyway) and I try to keep the saturated fats very very low. I do eat plenty of healthy fats like the Omega 3s in salmon and I use lots of EVOO. And, I take fish oil capsules every day.

I think of fruit as a once in a while treat or desert. We always have fresh fruit around and sometimes I'll grab an apple. However, I pretty much keep my fruits low and probably only have fruit once or twice a week. I do not limit non-starchy vegetables, especially anything green and try to eat lots of green leafy veggies. I munch on celery lots.

If I am going to have pasta, it has to be whole wheat pasta and portion controlled. If I have rice it's brown, basmatti rice and a very small portion. And, it has to fit into my 26 DPA. Only have bread about once a week and it's either double fiber bread or sandwich thins.

The most important thing for me is to put protein first. I find that if I have a hard boiled egg in the morning with coffee or tea and then drink lots of ice cold water, I just don't get hungry. I have to remind myself to eat.

My best friend is a Zip-N-Steam bag! In the afternoon if I start feeling hungry, instead of reaching for fruit or some other snack, I will pull a piece of frozen tilapia out of the freezer, stick it in a zip-n-steam and into the microwave for 2 minutes. Then I usually put a teaspoon or two of Best Foods Mayo that is made with olive oil on the side of my plate and dip my bites in it.

It's so satisfying to me and I know I'm getting 23 grams of protein. Another favorite snack, especially before bed, is 8 ounces of FF plain Greek yogurt either with Splenda stirred in and/or a couple of teaspoons of Hershey's chocolate syrup drizzled on top.

There are enough carbs in lactose free fat free milk and in yogurt to satisfy my carb desires. They are both low on the glycemic index, so do not cause carb cravings at all. BTW: I learned that lactose free is best for weight loss. That's why whey isolate protein powder is so great if you like to make smoothies. They separate out the lactose (which is sugar).
Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #430
Blabbermouth!!!

Dee: Thought of something else. Zip-n-Steam has a recipe website. They also include recipe cards in the package when you buy them. And, conveniently, right on the microwaveable bag itself it has all the foods and times listed for fresh or frozen. (With fish, I go a minute under, otherwise it gets too overcooked and dry).

My favorite new recipe is a western omelet. You crack 2 eggs into the bag, add onions, a few leafs of spinach, whatever else you like...I like Foster Farms oven roasted turkey breast that you can buy sliced and packaged in the deli. I skip the cheese, but you can add cheese, a couple of TBL water or milk. Then close the bag with the zip lock, squeeze the eggs to break the yolk and sort of smush it around (it's fun!) to mix everything. Toss it in the microwave. I think it's for 2 minutes, maybe 3. I'll look that up if you want me to.

Anyway, voila! Out comes this amazingly delicious omelet! I made one for DD the other day and she absolutely loved it. Protein lovers dream.

You could just use egg whites if you want. sometimes to save points I use one whole egg and two egg whites.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Yam-Yam, thanks for the reminder about the steamer bags. I will try the tilapia tonight!!

I only use them for veggies.

I will try the omelet also!!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #432
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As for being OP, I had a slip up over Christmas. . .I ate sweets, and of course was up 1.8 lbs at my Tuesday meeting.

I figured I needed to face it and get back OP.

I have, and I want to use the slip as a learning process. That I can get back OP, and I can recognise that there really are trigger foods. . .and they can start a slide into things I need to leave alone!!

It isn't an all or nothing approach, is it?

Well, I'm 2 1/2 days back OP. We will see if that takes care of the problem!!

It is amazing that we all seem to go through the same things!

And for me, having this place to come is such a good thing, even if I don't use it as much as I could and should.

Thanks to all.

We are going to have an absolutely successful 2012!! Everything is in place!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dee, glad you and your DH are home, even though there is worry on your part, I'm glad your DH is on the road to recovery.

Best wishes for the New Year.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kerri
Stats: 222/183 /150....
WOE: Atkins, LCHF
Start Date: Over and Over and over AGAIN...
I would like to join in....

Hello, I just came across your group and thought I would love to join you if I could...I keep bouncing back and forth between LC and WW..I am spinning my wheels..I have wondered about combining the two but The LCers claim it will never work because of the fat...
kerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #435
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri View Post
Hello, I just came across your group and thought I would love to join you if I could...I keep bouncing back and forth between LC and WW..I am spinning my wheels..I have wondered about combining the two but The LCers claim it will never work because of the fat...
Kerri, it does and can right now I am struggling with it but Pam and a few others have it down and are doing great. I have to cut my carbs back or I am hungry and I hate being hungry but I will get it tweaked to work for me. Glad to have you on board.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Patty, forgive me, it is your DH, I got confused, not difficult, I can get confused easily.

Hope good things for his recovery and your worries.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #437
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome, Kerri, you can and will find what works for you.

this is a wonderful group! Thanks, everyone!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pattygirl
Stats: 237.4/231.2/135
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: restart December 2013
to all the Newbies. It is really great to see our little group here growing. I look forward to getting back here. I had a pretty good few days of eating OP, but today wasn't too great especially tonight. Went to my Bible study class and was given a gift of goodies and I'm sorry to say I ate it. Probably used up my last 20 weekly pts. Oh well. So far I've lost the 5 lbs that I gained while hubby was in the hospital and Christmas day. If I can just keep it off until Jan 1, I too will get really serious about this woe again.

DH is having to go to the hospital as an outpatient to have blood drawn because now his blood is too thin. He will have to go have it checked until it gets down to between 2.5 and 3.5. So things are still wild around here, but I'm getting exercise doing all this running around.

Will get back here as soon as I can. Thanks for thinking of us and keeping us in your prayers and thoughts. They are much appreciated.

Patty

I will Eat to Live! I will NOT Live to Eat!
I WILL NOT ALLOW FOOD TO HAVE ANY
POWER OVER ME!!!
Pattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
I too would like to join your fantastic group! I've sat here all afternoon and evening reading up on the posts and think this is a group I could fit in well with, especially regarding the tweaks that Yam-Yam mentions. In 2010 I lost 53 lbs on MediWeightLoss, which was a wonderful plan full of accountability, but expensive. I invested in my health that year, even did the C25K program and jogged 2 5-K's (unheard of for me previously!). I have also been working on my master's degree and did okay for quite a while. Regretably, I gained about 15 lbs back by August 2011, and in the past two months probably gained another 15 lbs. I haven't changed my weight statistics on LCF to reflect what is happening. I don't want it to STICK! (Otherwise, this is known as denial of reality for where I am now!) Grad school just finished last week , and our DD X2 are coming next week from out of state with SIL and boyfriend, respectively, for us to have our LATE family Christmas celebration!! So, I enjoyed all the Christmas foods at church and work, and now will have them around for my family!! I have spent all day today getting myself mentally prepared to get back on plan and have something in mind. I am a 27-year ago WW Lifetime member and will go to meetings starting Jan 9th....family here Jan 3rd-8th. I'm embarrassed to have them see me up in inches/weight again....but grad school got so hairy with working my two jobs plus having practicum experience for school....I had NO time for planning or exercise. And the stress increases cortisol which makes calories stick like superglue!!
So, I'll be tracking you for about 1 1/2 weeks and then will be on plan!! Currently I now go past a mirror and am surprised....I don't recognize my BIG self....it's like I stepped in to a fat suit. MWL worked well but I got in to maintenance at the end of September 2011, just prior to the holidays and worsening of assignments/schedules. I didn't work out my maintenance very well at all. I need a plan I can live with, and I know high protein, low carb works for me, period!! Thanks for listening!! I know I can get to goal (see avatar photo on right) again!!

Last edited by Fit2010; 12-29-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

Patty - I'm very glad to hear that your DH is receiving such diligent care with his new condition and that he is getting his Coumadin regulated to a safe therapeutic level. Sounds like he had a Greenfield filter placed. I'm so proud of you for staying on plan through all that stress and everything! My mom was on Coumadin for quite a while after she went in to atrial fibrillation about 6 years ago. I'm sure they told you all about the diet concerns for keeping his INR/protime regulated.

Everyone on this thread seems so supportive and encouraging. I look forward to getting to know you all better!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Fit 2010!

I am in awe of your athletic achievements! How great!

It is true, maintenance is so very hard.

I have also been there, and haven't stuck. Although I did for about 4 years. I think it is really hard work. Period.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much for the welcome...I hope to get to know each one of you..I am reading through all the past postings so I can get some ideas..I have been up and down so many times that I am sea sick...
My health is suffering, blood pressure is up and terrible back pain..(fat belly)
Sounds like this may be the perfect plan for me..My 1st goal is to get under 200...Today is day 2..I am logging all my food on-line and counting points on my diary...BBL.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Magna,
Could someone tell me how many points is in Carbmaster's vanilla yogurt? I don't see it listed on the container. 1 container (6oz) is 60 calories, 8 gms protein, 4gms carbs, 3 gms sugar, no fiber, 1.5 g total fat. I like to eat this with either ALOT of cinnamon (like 2 tsp) mixed in OR with 1/4 c blueberries. Won't be going to a meeting for about 1 1/2 wks and want to see if I'm way off base at breakfast in the meanwhile. It has milk protein concentrate and whey protein concentrate in it, and sucralose. Some people cannot get it in various parts of the US. I get it from Dillons in KS and Kroger also sells it; it's a Kroger brand item.
Thank you!!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #444
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri View Post
Thanks so much for the welcome...I hope to get to know each one of you..I am reading through all the past postings so I can get some ideas..I have been up and down so many times that I am sea sick...
My health is suffering, blood pressure is up and terrible back pain..(fat belly)
Sounds like this may be the perfect plan for me..My 1st goal is to get under 200...Today is day 2..I am logging all my food on-line and counting points on my diary...BBL.
Good for you Kerri, the only thing I did different was to set my goal for 5 lbs, even though I had 50 overall to lose. That change in mindset helped me a lot and I MADE several mini goals. I went from 180 to 159.5 since last Aug, now back at 163 been off plan for a few weeks and Jan 2, I am back on,I really needed a diet break. Normally my breaks are not for that long but burnt out. But still about every 4 weeks I take a day or two off. I just don't go crazy.
I wish us all a happy healthy and lighter 2012.

P.S, Sorry Fit2010, Welcome to our little group, what a hard working gal you are!

Last edited by Dee744; 12-30-2011 at 09:17 AM..
Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Fit, it is 2 p+.

I like the kroger brand Greek yogurt, also 2 p+, but 16 grams protein, I add blueberries, the frozen ones, and sweetener. I am talking about the 6 oz container, a cup is 3. That's the fat free kind.

HTH!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #446
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Kerri and Fit2010:

For points, the easy way to figure it out is take the calories and divide it by 40. On WW Points Plus there is a rough estimate that 40 calories = 1 point.

I've done this in the grocery store or when in a hurry or in a pinch. Later when I plug all the info into my tracker/calculator it always works out to be the same.

Remember to round up. Like for 60 calories it would be 1.5 points. So, round up to 2 points or just go ahead and eat 20 more calories worth of the yogurt to make it 80 calories or 2 pts.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #447
Blabbermouth!!!

Kerri: WW and LC go perfectly together in my opinion. There are different LC plans out there. I've never done Atkins. I have done Stillman's. But my new favorite is Dukan and I highly recommend the book. I've mentioned it before on this thread.

I got so excited when I saw Dr. Oz promo the Dukan Diet. So, I bought the book right away. I feel like he is the evolution of Stillman. And, actually, his plan is more like the very first recorded original LC diet from the 1800s.

Stillman's plan is very rigid, no fat, no carb, no dairy.

Dukan gives lots of science behind why fat free dairy should be added in. He starts you off with the "ATTACK" diet which can last from 1 to 10 days. One of the ladies on Dr. Oz's show said she had lost 13 pounds in 10 days.

I did not think this would happen for me. However, it did!

The next diet Dukan moves you in to is a mild "carb cycling" plan. Though he does not call it that. You do pure protein and fat free dairy one day and then the next day you add in as many non-starchy veggies as you want with the protein. You keep alternating until you lose as much as you want.

Dukan allows cooking with healthy oils like olive oil and encourages eating fatty fish for the Omega 3s.

So to go back to combining WW w/ LC: I joined WW as an on line only member. I track points every day. I also count grams of protein and try to get 100 grams of protein per day or close to that. It's not hard at all.

I rarely eat fruit. No starchy veggies or grains at all when I'm OP. I stick with lean protein and fat free, lactose free milk (as much as I want, but I count points); fat free greek yogurt, at least 2 tsp EVOO per day and as many non-starchy green veggies, raw or cooked, as I want.

This way I get in my GHGs but am still low carb.

If I want to lose faster, every other day I cut out the veggies.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #448
Major LCF Poster!

Yam-Yam: I have questions. In the past I was adding EVOO because it helped with getting off sugar addiction and had to do with the old fashion/sometimes called into question idea of candida in the gut. Is that why you are taking the EVOO? And do you stand there and "eat" 2 tsp....I did that a couple times and about gagged, like eating crisco! Or do you melt it and drink it? In the past I tried it in SF cocoa, melted, and that was tolerable. I know it is supposed to be good for helping to make you lose inches and yet keeps skin, hair and nervous system healthy. Can't wait to hear your thoughts about this! Also, what are GHGs? What does Dukan say about whey protein shakes? I like the Jay Robb brand.
Thanks for the info!

Thank you everyone for how to figure out points. Guess we'll always be counting in some form or other. Ugh!

I think it was magna that wrote about the old WW exchange system. That's what I did 27 years ago. It was easy and it helped to check things off. Something that made it easier was that I was breastfeeding at that time, so I was given more exchanges to eat. It made me eat my fruits and veggies, and I was never really hungry. Lost 40 lbs in about 5 months back then. Gotta love breastfeeding for that benefit!

Last edited by Fit2010; 12-31-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

I wanted to be sure to wish you all a very Happy New Year...This will be the year for us all...

I am still reading through all the postings and hope to learn a few things that may help me..I have been on both plans and many others over the years. I also have watched WW change from LC to LF to HC etc..I started in the 60's on WW..I was a life timer at one point That was about 80 #s ago....
I am not attending meetings right now due to the cost so I hope that those that are will keep me filled in about any changes.

Yam Yam, thanks for all the info, I have ordered the Dukan book from the library and will go through it...

I am excited to start the new year with my new friends in this group.

I alone can do it. But I can't do it alone.

The beginnings of all things are small..

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #450
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patty-cake54
Stats: 239/210/165
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: November 2013
Happy new year everyone! I've been keeping up with ya'll and I am so encouraged by your determination! I love WW Points Plus and its compatibility with low carb! This is going to be a great year!
Patty-cake54 is offline   Reply With Quote