Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Purrcy'smom
Stats: 216/193.5/158
WOE: Dukan and the CTFLC
Start Date: May 9, 2011
Just checking in folks- been way too busy this weekend. But somehow, during my trip to Florida, I lost 4 more lbs- down 21 since JUne! This is the FIRST time something has worked for me in the last decade! Hugs to all, only 4o more to go! September, HERE WE COME!
Purrcy'smom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

GUYS- let me know thoughts- I am beyond psyched so I hope it is cool- So I have been using an altered version of atkinesque cheesecake on my plan. It consists of eggs, egg whites, ( no oil) splenda, cottage cheese and 1/2 bar of cream cheese. It does use 2 tbsp lemon juice for the WHOLE recipe... so one piece a night is not too bad - working for me so far. But the NEWS is that I got the idea from you gals using MIO in your yogurt.... and I drizzled this pomegranate flavor on the top before cooking and Voila- raspberry cheescake and it is NOM NOM NOM! Yummy!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Purcy- that sounds delish, and if it is working for you go for it, that is super, hey 21 pounds this summer is super!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Hi there Iamfaithful! I really appreciate all the info you sent! I plan to look more into this- I guess what I have to ask is, I would love to attempt to *culture* my own kefir but I think I need to study up on it first.. what kind if equipment do you need? or do you just pop a jar in the fridge? LOL
Also, the kombucha tea- I have bought it premade, and it was very fizzy. Is that normal?
Thank you again for taking the time to share all the info.. I may just turn up in the other thread. I am sorry it took me so long to see your post, my father is quite ill so my visits here lately and in the near future are at best sporadic.... I feel each time I log in there are more and more new *faces* and whole lifetimes of convo I have missed... so I apologize everyone if I seem like a lurker lately....
hugs, Laure ( Purrcy'smom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfaithful View Post
@ Purrcy'smom

You asked about the MK Shakes & while I gave you an answer August thread, I should have explained a little better..

Milk Kefir is a fermented probiotic that is cultured with live grains (not like wheat grains) that look like cauliflower. It is kinda like buttermilk in texture but is not similar in taste. Depending on how long you culture it and the temp it can be very mild or very tart.

We have a thread in Organic Eating Kefir Fermenters Unite! We also have a thread Kombucha - it was a very old one some of us revived because it had so much great information. Kombucha is a fermented tea that is phenominal for the body.

Everyone is welcomed to join us there- we get a little crazy but we also "gift" cultures for postage if we have them. We feel there is no reason to pay a lot of money for grains that are beneficial for out friends here when they grow & don't cost us 1˘ to make. We just ask postage usually $5 covers it.

Google Kefir (Water & Milk) & Kombucha...
SCOBY= symbionic colony of bacteria and yeast
MK= milk kefir
WK=water kefir
KT= Kombucha Tea
LBKKF= Local Brotherhood of Kombucha & Kefir Fermenters but we have thought International was more appropriate.
LCF=Low Carb Friends
KKU=Kombucha KommUnity

Hope this helps!
AND You can find great Kefir recipies & ideas @ CFH (Cultures For Health)
Old 09-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Purcy- that sounds delish, and if it is working for you go for it, that is super, hey 21 pounds this summer is super!!!!
At nearly 50 yrs old, it has been slow going with diet plans the last decade. Not one thing worked. I am so grateful for this plan and this forum. I also am grateful for gals like you for inspiration, your achievement is amazing!!!!!! I hope to catch up to you somehow- your fortitude with exercise I hope rubs off on me!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stilldews
WOE: Dukan
Cheesecake recipe sounds great! I like the MIO in lots of things including kefir. This week is discouraging for me. After losing so well on attack, I have put back on a pound after 2 PV and 2PP days. Know that's probably just water balancing back out after doing so much shifting the first week, but I'd sure like to see that scale dip beneath 190.
stilldews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #37

Ugh this weekend, I didnt even cheat with all the good stuff around and I am so up I am hoping it was all the humidity or something! Grrrrrr
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannew View Post
Is there room for one more?
I wanna be a loser, too!
I need to lose 15#! and this looks like it would be a simple plan to follow...that's my motto...K.I.S.S.!
We love *losers* here! Welcome!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldews View Post
Cheesecake recipe sounds great! I like the MIO in lots of things including kefir. This week is discouraging for me. After losing so well on attack, I have put back on a pound after 2 PV and 2PP days. Know that's probably just water balancing back out after doing so much shifting the first week, but I'd sure like to see that scale dip beneath 190.
And, I hate to be the one to say it, but after a few weeks on plan, I um, couldnt use the ladies room for the life of me! Some of the gals here reccomended a softener, and Now I take 1 tab of senna ( the herb only) once a week. After my first cleansing shall we say- I noticed a loss again, LOL!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Hi there Iamfaithful! I really appreciate all the info you sent! I plan to look more into this- I guess what I have to ask is, I would love to attempt to *culture* my own kefir but I think I need to study up on it first.. what kind if equipment do you need? or do you just pop a jar in the fridge? LOL
Also, the kombucha tea- I have bought it premade, and it was very fizzy. Is that normal?
Thank you again for taking the time to share all the info.. I may just turn up in the other thread. I am sorry it took me so long to see your post, my father is quite ill so my visits here lately and in the near future are at best sporadic.... I feel each time I log in there are more and more new *faces* and whole lifetimes of convo I have missed... so I apologize everyone if I seem like a lurker lately....
hugs, Laure ( Purrcy'smom)

WK basically all you need is a quart jar or two, rubber band, breathable material (NOT CHEESE CLOTH) sugar, water & a plastic strainer NO METAL~ 24 to 48 hours and you have your drink!

MK is the same as above but omit the sugar & water and use milk (it has sugar in it).

Culturing kefir temps should be in the low 70s upper 60s. The grains like it cooler...

EVERYONE & ANYONE IS WELCOMED OVER TO THE KEFIR & KOMBUCH THREADS.... THE MORE THE MERRIER! We have this habit of "gifting" for the postage when we have extras to give.

Kombucha is a tad more involved but if I can do it ANYONE CAN!

Need one or more gallon jars (old pickle jars work well but any large GLASS container will do), tea, sugar, water, rubber band, and breathable cloth (NOT CHEESE CLOTH)

Basically, brew a strong tea of 6-8 tea bags, add 1 cup sugar, add water to 3 quarts in a gallon jar & be sure it is room temp. Add the SCOBY and starter tea. Let it ferment for 10~20 days depending on the temperature... KT likes temps of 75-85 degrees. Strain and bottle NO PLASTIC... this is it in a nut shell...

Like I said - it is so simple an old lady like me can do it.... I was afraid to try it when I first saw the instructions, but then I went to the University of YouTube and saw all the "strange" people making it so I knew I could. Might want to check out videos of both Kombuch & Kefir... they are so much fun. Kombucha Kamp also has wonderful information & discussion board on falvoring etc.

I have three 1 gallon brewers and a 2.7 gal continuous brewer. I am putting some up for winter when it will be too cool to brew fast even for my CB. May buy a warmer for it. KT and the other ferments have dramatically changed my health. Still have muscle pain/stiffness but my stamina is incredible compared to the barely 1 hour last March.

I forgot to mention that we use filtered or spring water as grains & SCOBYs dont like chlorine!

I am sitting with grandma (92)... she is in her closing hours so I understand the struggle of caring for someone that is in ill health. Bless you for what you are doing... you will be rewarded!

I cant post picts here because I have to borrow a computer when I am here & only have my phone at home. But I post picts of all my "experiments" on FB... find me there & let me know you are from LCF ~ faithful to Jesus

stilldews : This week is discouraging for me. After losing so well on attack, I have put back on a pound after 2 PV and 2PP days. Know that's probably just water balancing back out after doing so much shifting the first week, but I'd sure like to see that scale dip beneath 190.

Dont get discouraged! It was a long time even during the attack stage I even noticed a change... then it went to 1lb a day and I had to stabalize for health reasons. I realized too much going on right not to concentrate on a continued loss so I am content with stabalization right now... when things get better I will go back to what I know works and that is this Dukan eating program! So keep up the good work! It will come.....

Last edited by iamfaithful; 09-06-2011 at 12:59 PM..
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: iamfaithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrcy'smom View Post
And, I hate to be the one to say it, but after a few weeks on plan, I um, couldnt use the ladies room for the life of me! Some of the gals here reccomended a softener, and Now I take 1 tab of senna ( the herb only) once a week. After my first cleansing shall we say- I noticed a loss again, LOL!!!!
I can understand completely... pure protein even with the oat brand will do that to you sometimes.... I have to be sure to get my veggies every day & just increase my PP... I have my own eating plan brought out of DD & it keeps me stable... I never have a recipe for anything and since it is just me at home I eat anything I want... sometimes it is kinda strange...

When I notice a small increase... usually I have to get the oat brand out! Veggies do that for me... Oat brand is posed to make you go... but I guess for some of us.... OH WELL ! We all know
iamfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
Start Date: 5/1/2003
New to Dukan, Not to LC Friends

Hi, I started Dukan on 8/11 and have lost 12 lbs so far. True weight is 152 and am a little below that and hoping to be able to get to 145. In the meantime, every morning I have the oat bran galette with Walden Farms syrup. Getting a little old. I have seen mention of a muffin with oat bran. Could not find the recipe on his web site, and I figured someone here would have it.
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #43

JLshields- congrats on your weight loss, you must feel great, here is the recipe thread we started lots of good things in there, the goji berry muffins are my fav, you can omit if you want and still make a good muffin!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...recipes-6.html
Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: becksterinindy
OK I am back but far from any diet Just wanted to get caught up even though I am not sure when I can get my head wrapped around this again.

LivinLo thanks for another thread start up

Phaedra. Not sure I will stick around if I can't get my act together. How's it been going for you?

Purr so sorry about your dad Wish I could say I went on a trip and only gained as little as you!

Amber hope you pick up all my money in Oct. I thought for sure I lost my azz there but looked in the mirror and it seems to be intact You are such and inspiration and what an awesome job you have done Wedding is not too far away now!!!!!!

Lenise happy you got to go back to work. I know how much you have been counting on it Atkin's 72 is a very good plan IMO but please don't leave here whatever plan you are on.

Jeanne!!!!!!!! How the heck have you been girl? So good to see you again Hope you won't be a stranger here!!

to all the newbies.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

breakfast blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshields View Post
Hi, I started Dukan on 8/11 and have lost 12 lbs so far. True weight is 152 and am a little below that and hoping to be able to get to 145. In the meantime, every morning I have the oat bran galette with Walden Farms syrup. Getting a little old. I have seen mention of a muffin with oat bran. Could not find the recipe on his web site, and I figured someone here would have it.
Hi there, the link that bejeweled posted is the best place... but you can also google chocolate pumpkin dukan muffins and you will find another site with a few variations- but be warned, check the phase on the recipes! the pumpkin muffins for instance, are only for PV days, ok?
these you can have any day and were delicious- if you fill four large muffin cups you have your exact serving for breakfast! ( I hope I am not being bad by posting this recipe here- plz to forgive if I am!)

ORANGE VANILLA OAT BRAN MUFFINS

8 tablespoons of oat bran
1/2 cup egg whites
5 T nonfat Orange yogurt
1 t baking powder
2 t Splenda (I use 2 T Brown Sugar Blend)
1 T sugarfree vanilla pudding powder
1 t orange extract

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the yogurt and eggs and whisk until smooth. Add extract. Divide the mixture equally between 12 minis or 4 regular muffins in a tin sprayed with olive oil spray.

Chocolate Orange Muffin
When you get to Consolidation I recommend you set one chocolate chip on top of each muffin; the combination is wonderful and it actually takes care of the craving!

Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes for mini muffins, 15-18 for regular muffins.

Last edited by Purrcy'smom; 09-06-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becksterinindy View Post
OK I am back but far from any diet Just wanted to get caught up even though I am not sure when I can get my head wrapped around this again.

LivinLo thanks for another thread start up

Phaedra. Not sure I will stick around if I can't get my act together. How's it been going for you?

Purr so sorry about your dad Wish I could say I went on a trip and only gained as little as you!

Amber hope you pick up all my money in Oct. I thought for sure I lost my azz there but looked in the mirror and it seems to be intact You are such and inspiration and what an awesome job you have done Wedding is not too far away now!!!!!!

Lenise happy you got to go back to work. I know how much you have been counting on it Atkin's 72 is a very good plan IMO but please don't leave here whatever plan you are on.

Jeanne!!!!!!!! How the heck have you been girl? So good to see you again Hope you won't be a stranger here!!

to all the newbies.
Thank you for your kind thoughts Becky! I have always thought that when traveling, if we maintain, that is all good! I lost this time just due to the stress of my visit. But I will take what I can get!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amazinggrace911
Stats: 230.8/159.2/150 -- 5'8"
WOE: Whatever It Takes!!!!!
Start Date: 05/24/2011
I'm not going anywhere no matter what plan I'm on! I love our little group here!

Oh my, those orange muffins sound good!!

Has anyone tried freezing the greek yogurt? I just wonder how it would freeze since it is thicker than regular yogurt. I might try it for work tomorrow night. make my concoction and then freeze it so maybe by lunch time it'll be thawed.

Nighty night!
amazinggrace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #48

Becky- oh no, you left all your money? And the buffets got ya? But hey did you have a blast? We missed you, get organized then back on track, you are a rock star with this program!! Tell all stories, how was the cabana? How were the rooms?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

jlshields, good to have you with us. How wonderful to already be below your TW. You lost fast too for being so close to begin with. Are you going to do the Consolidation like Dr Dukan suggests? Keep us updated. My TW is 154 and I think 145 would be ideal for me too.

Weight is now down 8.2 in just a little less than 2 weeks, so 1 pound for the first week of Cruise. I'm planning on getting into the 180's next week. Seems I've been chasing them for a time now.

Here is a recipe for the breakfast Bowl I fix every morning. Since I am lazy, it's a quick way to get the bran and protein in.

2 eggs
1 heaping TB Greek yogurt or FF cream cheese
2 Tb oat bran
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Pkg Splenda or some stevia
1/4 tsp vanilla or almond extract, optional.

Mix everthing together in a cereal bowl. Use a fork and blend it well. Cook one minute in the microwave. Take out and stir well again with a fork. Cook one more minute and let set just a little. Top should still be a little moist looking. I top with about a TB of Sugar free syrup or another sprinkle of Splenda and cinnamon. May start adding a TB of wheat bran to it too for a little extra fiber.

Faithful, hope your granny is able to spend her last days in peace. Your being with her has to be a comfort.

Welcome back Becky.

"People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning."
Lao-Tzu

Last edited by stilldews; 09-07-2011 at 05:37 AM..
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

stilldews that recipe looks good. I will have to try it IF I ever get my butt back on track!

Amber we cancelled the cabana when we saw the day was not that busy at the pool. Saved us $225 and we got lounge chairs right in front of the lazy river near the stairs. It was a heavenly day. Floating around the lazy river and swimming in the big wave pool. We were comped 2 nights at Mandalay Bay but I thought I'd take a shot and ask for a free upgrade. WELL it was magic!! She put us in a 1500x3 room. 1450 sq. feet and 2 separate bedrooms, living room, dining room and total of 5 flat screen tvs in the joint. A once in a life time experience and totally free
becksterinindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #51

Oh wow that is cool!!!!!! Please tell me it was hot there? I am so sick of this cold and rain now I will be so ready for some desert sun come October!!!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeeBloom
Stats: 189/189/133
WOE: Dukan/Meat & Egg/Low Carb
Start Date: 03/04/2014
Hi all,
Wondering if I can join in from time to time, I just started today, have done Atkins in the past. 50 pounds is my ultimate goal and I will take it 5 pounds at a time.
DeeBloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! I am very pleased with the diet so far and plan to continue to consolidation and stabilization. I need to do it right so I don't gain it back again.
Hi Becky, I was happy to see your name mentioned here. Sorry you lost and gained in Vegas! That happens to me every time I go. I have been gone for quite awhile, but was slowly gaining again (up about 15 pounds from where i want to be, tried lots of different things before deciding to come back to what works for me - low carb)
Anyway thanks for all the greg recipes - those orange muffins sound delish. On my way to the store now!
BBL
"How does one become a butterfly?...You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."Trina Paulus

"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

That sounds sooo good. Thanks ! And I love cats too!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Amber it was HOT!! I think 102-110 during our stay. Came home to the lower 60's here I'm sure it will be perfect weather at VOF in Oct.

Jeanne ar you doing Dukan by the book? or general low carb now? I went on a 2 month road trip with my sister last winter to the southwest (first time for me) and into Mexico for a month. I looked up Sierra Vista to see if we went through there. I don't think we did but I see it is a hummingbird city!! How awesome!! I LOVE hummingbirds

DeeBloom the more the merrier
becksterinindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #56

Oh gosh I am hoping it is in the high 90's I cant wait for heat I am freezing all the time, LOL

Sierre Vista is beautiful, we want to retire someplace in AZ we love it out there, we have friends all over they are coming to our wedding in Vegas at Valley of Fire State Park, next month!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Finally hit the 180's. 188.4 this morning.

It's very cool here now too and I love it. Out to dig and divide some daylilies now.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #58

We are having the worst flooding I have ever seen, we had 6" fall in 4 hours yesterday and now all day pounding again I am not sure where all this water is going except maybe my basement, ughggh it is so scary!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spydermonkey511
Morning ladies! Hope all has been well! Been super busy here.
spydermonkey511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

You guys have sure had more than your share this year. Hope it dries up soon.