Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: abbynormal
WOE: WW
Start Date: obviously not today
WW August - It's hot where it counts

New Month - New Thread
abbynormal is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #2

This is a magical Monday - we're starting a new week on the first day of a new month. So all who have been slacking around here's a perfect time to make a fresh start on a day full of firsts.

What does August have in store for you?
1 - My kids go back to school TODAY!
2 - For the first time in - well - ever I guess, I'm looking forwared to having a physical this month. I work for a healthcare company and they are making a great push for healthy employees. We're having a health screening coming up in 3 weeks where they'll take blood, check blood pressure, that type of thing. I'm actually excited to see what effect WW and weight loss has had on my cholesterol and blood sugar.
3 - And on the 23rd I start the US City Challenge.

What's on your agenda?
The opportunity of a lifetime must be seized in the lifetime of that opportunity. ~P.Wilson
We can fear or we can care. ~ Susan M. Grant
If I want to watch a bunch of guys run around and not score, I'll go to a bar downtown. I don't have to watch soccer. - J.Guenther.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
hay
Funfetti Freak

Gallery: hay
WOE: ww
Thanks for starting the new thread, Laura! You'r right -- Monday, new week, new month -- here we go!

August for me--
1. Working on and finish my dissertation (turning it in in one week!)
2. Going home in 10 days and readjusting to being in America, living at home, cooking for myself again, etc. Basically getting into a new routine.
3. Studying for the LSAT -- I have 2 months until I take the test, so I really need to start devoting a few hours each day to studying.
4. Going to start kayaking with my sister when I get home! I can't wait to do that.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Changeling
WOE: Low carb & lifting weights & HIIT
Start Date: 23 July 2013
I got married 6 weeks ago, at the ripe old age of 38, and have just come off the pill about 2 weeks ago to see if my lovely husband and I can squeeze a baby in before I hit the big four oh! This will be my first, his third.

So I guess my interesting challenge for August, and how ever many months thereafter it takes, is to lose weight by continuing to stick to my WW points and training at gym with my personal trainer 5 days a week, WHILE trying to get pregnant!

I used to "use" Atkins to lose weight when necessary, but I wanted to try something less drastic while trying to conceive, and I must say I'm really enjoying the freedom, and also responsibility, that I get with WW. I like the idea of not following a list of legal and illegal foods, but rather making choices for myself, the consequences of which are mine too. WW really is all about common sense, and I'm loving it!

I would like to lose 24 pounds to get to my goal weight, but obviously I will adjust that if/when I get pregnant. However, this is the way I want to eat during my pregnancy (and thereafter) and I'll do so under the supervision of my WW group leader and my personal trainer.

I hope that this will be a sensible and healthy way to do things. What do you think?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Gallery: Purple Sage
Stats: LCHF no scale - goal size 8 & healthy 14/14/8
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 1, 2005 Atkins :'( restart April 2014
Hello August:

What does August hold? It would be wonderful if it held absolutely nothing but boring sameness but that never happens in my world....

So:
1. My brother is coming home! He has been in Korea for 2 years and Japan for 2 years and they are flying into my town on August 19. He got married and had a baby while he was gone and I cannot wait to see them!
2. The kids start school.
3. My MIL has to have surgery this week to remove cancer from her intestines and then we start that roller coaster and I don't know where that is going to take us but I am dreading it.
4. In 2 weeks my cousin will be down here for the weekend with her DH and kids. She has been my best bestie since we were about 3 and I love spending time with her.

Oh, and I am sure that August will also be filled with all kinds of stressful, unexpected things and probably some unexpected travel etc.

Between Friday at 3pm and Saturday at 11:30pm I drove 650 miles by myself, attended the most difficult but beautiful life celebration/funeral I have ever had to attend I think, and then came home to work and my freezer having been unplugged and I had to cook up 20 pounds of hamburger last night because it got thawed out.

I have not been on track at all in my eating this week. I didn't eat hardly at all on Thursday and Friday. Then Friday I ate a whole bag of Jelly beans and some chocolate when driving just to try to stay awake....didn't eat much else but I don't know what the scale is going to show this week. Sort of dreading it to tell you the truth.

I truly hope that August will be a better month for us but I sure would like to figure out what buttons to push to have a boring life...I am not kidding either, I just want BORING!

If anyone is interested, they have a beautiful blog that my cousin put together for our friend, about remembering his life and his family and then the service. It is Remembering Denley

Hope everyone has a good day and it is the start of a good month.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #6

Gallery: turbotex
Stats: Too big/-106/Just Right
WOE: Eating healthy and loving it!
Start Date: Which time?
Good morning all!

August plans and happenings:

1. Survive the heat
2. Squeeze in a trip to the coast before DS goes back to school
3. DS starts 5th grade August 22nd
4. Continue to eat healthy and not back-slide
5. Complete my 2011-2012 Fiscal Year Budget
6. Up my walking from 1 mile a day to 2 miles a day
turbotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Wow. .you guys are all on a roll.. My plan:

Be a better Me!
IM2fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Patty-cake54
Stats: 239/210/165
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: November 2013
Wow! Where did July go?

Today is August 1st - my sweet mama's birthday. She would have been 79 today.
Quote:
You don't get over it, you just get through it. Your don't get by it, because you can't get around it. It doesn't 'get better'; it just gets different. Everyday... Grief puts on a new face....
Thank you for sharing this on the July thread. Even though it wasn't meant for me that day, it certainly applies to today. It holds so true whatever the loss.

Okay enough of that: speaking of losses - I hobbled to my WW WI today and lost another 1.6 pounds for a total of 28.2!!! I would do the happy dance, but am told to stay off my leg. What? you mean I haven't shared with ya'll what happened to me? Well the floor men left and the painter left (after doing a great job I might add) but all the crap had to be moved back in. I managed to hang pictures, crawl on top of things and climb over stuff to get the laundry room and kitchen put back together. Well Friday night after taking a much needed breather in my recliner, I go to get up and finish the putting away of the stuff that was not going back into the kitchen and aforesaid laundry room. Suddenly and without warning the chair slid on the hardwood floor and pitched me forward. I tried to stop my fall and catch myself thus pulling a muscle and/or ligament thingy. Sore doesn't begin to describe it! LOL! It is getting better but what is really sad is that I was sore all over to begin with from all the reaching, stooping and bending! I do think I am going to lie and say something glamorous that I hurt my leg playing tennis. LOL!

Okay today's funny: on the way to my WW meeting I passed an 'ol boy in a pickup truck with a bumper sticker that read "Save the whales. Harpoon the fat chicks". Well that just burned me up. I pulled up beside him and did what no self-respecting southern belle should ever do - wave at him using only one finger! Then I cut in front of him and took off like a speed demon. Thank goodness he didn't follow me all the way to the WW meeting and pull a gun or something. But I was ready. I had a new tube of Icy Hot ready to squirt in his face if he had tried to pull such a thing.

Did I mention it's over a hundred degrees down here? Well that would have been my major defense for my bad behavior.

Lora - I am so happy for you!

Let's see - my plan for August - TRY NOT to land in jail and TRY NOT to get pregnant!

Have a great Monday everybody!

Last edited by Patty-cake54; 08-01-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Patty-cake54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
hay
Funfetti Freak

Gallery: hay
WOE: ww
Patty - congrats on your loss!! But sorry to hear about your leg.

I forgot to tell you guys about a yummy snack I had yesterday. I had 10 points left after dinner, so I needed a points-heavy thing to eat. I cut up apple slices, and topped them with peanut butter and jelly. PB&J apples! Weird, but good.
hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #10

Hey all. My new mid range point snack? Low fat ritz with reduced fat skippy chunky peanut butter between them. 2 sandwiches are really satisfying and it comes out to 6 points for 4 crackers and 2T of peanut butter. A lot of times I will have 10 or so points left in the evening and this seems like a good way to use some of them.
Purple Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty-cake54 View Post
Okay enough of that: speaking of losses - I hobbled to my WW WI today and lost another 1.6 pounds for a total of 28.2!!! I would do the happy dance, but am told to stay off my leg. What? you mean I haven't shared with ya'll what happened to me? Well the floor men left and the painter left (after doing a great job I might add) but all the crap had to be moved back in. I managed to hang pictures, crawl on top of things and climb over stuff to get the laundry room and kitchen put back together. Well Friday night after taking a much needed breather in my recliner, I go to get up and finish the putting away of the stuff that was not going back into the kitchen and aforesaid laundry room. Suddenly and without warning the chair slid on the hardwood floor and pitched me forward. I tried to stop my fall and catch myself thus pulling a muscle and/or ligament thingy. Sore doesn't begin to describe it! LOL! It is getting better but what is really sad is that I was sore all over to begin with from all the reaching, stooping and bending! I do think I am going to lie and say something glamorous that I hurt my leg playing tennis. LOL!

Let's see - my plan for August - TRY NOT to land in jail and TRY NOT to get pregnant!

Have a great Monday everybody!
Congrats on the loss!!!!!

Sorry you got hurt

Love your goals for August - think I'll add them to mine
Old 08-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nikkiluvslowcarb
Stats: 315 /164.4/ 155
WOE: WW Points Plus
Start Date: June 7th 2011
Marking my spot in our new thread. I've been on vacation but things are back to normal starting tomorrow.
nikkiluvslowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty-cake54 View Post
...Let's see - my plan for August - TRY NOT to land in jail and TRY NOT to get pregnant! ...
That pretty much sums it up for me too! LOL
Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hairstyiin
Stats: 314.9/277.8/175
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1/15/2014
Hi all! I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I just stumbled upon this thread, and I'm getting ready to finish up my 2nd week of WW. I was down 5 lbs after week 1, so I'm anxious to weigh tomorrow. I had a soso weekend... had a piece of chocolate cake at a family party on Saturday, but I think I'll be fine.

As for what August has in store for me...

1. A trip to Vegas, 19th-22nd.
2. Start working on working out (LOL). Honestly? I hate working out... I gotta find some kind of exercise that I enjoy.

June 5, 2010 I married the of my life.

Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become your actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

My Facebook
hairstyiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Hairstylin! One of the neat things about the Points Plus plan is that it is forgiving. If you've eaten a piece of chocolate cake, you can indeed still be just fine! Good luck!

My great niece had a birthday party Saturday. She is infatuated with the Swamp People and her parents went all out to give her a Swamp People theme. It was hilarious. One of the swamp peeps was in a small town close by for a personal appearance on Friday. I think it was the Troy one. Anyhoo, they stood in line for five hours to have their picture made with him and get his autograph.

The birthday cake with a gator head on top was chocolate. So I had one bite, savored it, and moved along. In the old days of complete denial and avoidance, I would have passed on the cake only to obsess over not having tasted it the rest of the day and then binged on something I really didn't want because I really, really wanted a taste of chocolate cake.

So yeah - I took a bite of the chocolate cake and as I said, moved on. It is working for me so far and after almost 7 months following the PP+ plan, limiting my carbs a couple of days a week and learning to be patient with the slow losses, I am in for the long haul.

Last edited by Patty-cake54; 08-01-2011 at 08:44 PM..
Old 08-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Melodye
Stats: 209/199/160
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Just stopping in to mark my spot . I want to accomplish the following things in August:
1. Lose down to 280.
2. Exercise at least 3-5 times weekly.
3. Drink lots of water daily
4. Keep better control over my diabetes
5. Enjoy the girls going back to schoolLOL

Well, here's to a new month!!! May we all reach our goals !!!!
Melodye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 AM   #17

WI today. Also, my in-laws will be in town today for MIL's appt with the foot doctor. Her surgery is scheduled for later this week and they are coming here for lunch with all of us. I am up early trying to get work done so I can ready for company. She has just gotten the diagnosis of intestinal cancer and we will find out when they do the surgery how advanced or widespread the cancer is.

By the way, adding "DON'T GET PREGNANT" to my list of things for August as well!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My sister and her kids where here visiting. We had such a great time! I didn't count points I just ate whatever I wanted. I've lived in Louisiana for 2 years and I never ate alligator. My sister talked me into trying some fried alligator tail and it was good....It really did taste like chicken.

My sister and I eating at The River Front in Abbiville La

My sis and I at the Tabasco Plant in Avery Island La.

We had a great time and I was sad to see her leave. But now that vacation is over its time for me to get back to taking care of myself and losing this weight. So today I am back to counting my points. I haven't got on the scale to see how much damage I did over the last 5 days. I'm afraid to look I know with Atkins if I went off for a week then I could gain 7 lbs eeek!

My journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...it-r-done.html

"Discipline must accompany desire to achieve results."
Old 08-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #19

Welcome hairstylin!
Christa - for MIL. Enjoy your visit.
Nikki - the Tabasco plant????? I would never leave! I am completely addicted to Franks Hot Sauce but never mind a substitution of Tabasco.

I blew out my knee on Saturday. I can tolerate walking but stairs are totally out of the question.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #20

Abby: Ouch!
Pat: Ouch to you too!

Take care guys! NO more injuries this week okay?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairstyiin View Post
Hi all! I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I just stumbled upon this thread, and I'm getting ready to finish up my 2nd week of WW. I was down 5 lbs after week 1, so I'm anxious to weigh tomorrow. I had a soso weekend... had a piece of chocolate cake at a family party on Saturday, but I think I'll be fine.

As for what August has in store for me...

1. A trip to Vegas, 19th-22nd.
2. Start working on working out (LOL). Honestly? I hate working out... I gotta find some kind of exercise that I enjoy.
Welcome!!! I hate to exercise too - I try to walk everyday and I get in the pool at home at least 4 times a week and do light water aerobics and use my aqua weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiluvslowcarb View Post
My sister and her kids where here visiting. We had such a great time! I didn't count points I just ate whatever I wanted. I've lived in Louisiana for 2 years and I never ate alligator. My sister talked me into trying some fried alligator tail and it was good....It really did taste like chicken.
Great pic's! I love alligator Papadeaux here in Texas makes a pretty good appetizer with fried 'gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal View Post
Welcome hairstylin!
Nikki - the Tabasco plant????? I would never leave! I am completely addicted to Franks Hot Sauce but never mind a substitution of Tabasco.

I blew out my knee on Saturday. I can tolerate walking but stairs are totally out of the question.
That sucks about your knee! Have you gone to the doctor?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Wow Laura that does suck! I feel your pain. No- really I do!! LOL! I am still hurting but only when I walk on it. Of course I have been told to stay off of the leg, but seriously? There's just too much to do!

Nikki, my nephew had a guy from our local zoo come to my great niece's Swamp People party. He brought a snake, a hoot owl, a possum and a baby alligator. He was wonderful with the kids telling them so conversationally about each "critter". The alligator was interesting the most to me. He said alligator meat has absolutely no fat in it at all and if overcooked can be worse than a hockey puck. I dated a trapper years ago and he cooked alligator for us a lot. I just had to make the biscuits.

Also an interesting alligator fact: their brains are terribly terribly small. So small that they are only capable of eating, sleeping, hunting, and mating. They can live to be as old as 100 years. Of course they can - all they have to worry about in life is food, sleep, hunting and loving! Seriously - who couldn't live to be 100 if that was all they had to worry about! LOL!

Going to Avery Island to the Tobasco Plant is like going to Disney for us up here in the northern part of Louisiana. It's a great tour!

Christa, your MIL is in my prayers. Good thoughts coming her way!

It's 105 degrees outside with a heat index of 116. I am planning to have nothing but ice cold watermelon for supper! Too hot to eat anything hot and heavy. Too hot to even DO anything hot and heavy!

I hope everyone is doing well this afternoon and have a great evening!

Last edited by Patty-cake54; 08-02-2011 at 01:36 PM..
Old 08-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Abby, hope your knee gets to feeling better soon.

Christa, I'll say a prayer for your MIL

Patty, I decorated a swamp cake for my sister. I made the alligator and swamp tree stumps out of fondant.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hairstyiin
Stats: 314.9/277.8/175
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1/15/2014
Weighed in this morning and I'm down another 2.8 lbs! Yay!!
hairstyiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal View Post
Welcome hairstylin!

I discovered Franks while doing Stillmans. I coat everything in it. . Its a great substitution for Salad dressing!!. . That and Salsa. . I love me my condiments!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hair!!!

Congrats!! You are doing great!!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awww. . hugs to all you injured folks out there. . STop it!!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK. two questions:

What is the best low point "bread" you have. . I thought Light bread used to be 1/2 point .. now 1 point each? Is there an alternative? Not taht I eat bread very often any longer. . but I'm dying to try the PB&J grilled sandwich..

Also.. I'm back on Zuchinni.. I try to brown mine in a little "good oil" but they still end up mushy. . what are your tricks?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #29
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ew1
Quote:
Awww. . hugs to all you injured folks out there. . STop it!!
Amen.

Welcome to newbies , sorry I am not that chatty about each post but I do read them, and boy have you guys been posting!

On plan and working out, good start to August for me
ew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2fat View Post
I discovered Franks while doing Stillmans. I coat everything in it. . Its a great substitution for Salad dressing!!. . That and Salsa. . I love me my condiments!
Franks? on salad? Really? I've never tried it and find it a little odd but why not. I do know a woman who puts it oatmeal. I draw the line there.

Hi Elaine!
Hairstylin - congrats on the great loss!