Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
I found a nice post at the CBC on Dr. Jay Wortman's "My Big Fat Diet". Don't know why I haven't posted anything about his work before. Except for the oolichan grease and other foods native to that part of Canada, the diet Dr. Wortman recommends is very similar to the Atkins Induction phase.

www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/Poster.pdf

Dr. Michael Eades has posted about Dr. Wortman's work. Am not at my own computer or I would post some links.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 11-02-2011 at 09:56 AM..
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkswan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I found a nice post at the CBC on Dr. Jay Wortman's "My Big Fat Diet". Don't know why I haven't posted anything about his work before. Except for the oolichan grease and other foods native to that part of Canada, the diet Dr. Wortman recommends is very similar to the Atkins Induction phase.

www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/Poster.pdf

Dr. Michael Eades has posted about Dr. Wortman's work. Am not at my own computer or I would post some links.
Dr. Jay Wortman is profiled in the new Atkins For A New You book. It was an interesing read.
pinkswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Pinkswan, how nice to have you post here. I'm glad that appreciation of Dr. Wortman's work is in such a popular book. I wish oolichan grease were available where I live.

Hope you are doing very well.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Pinkswan, how nice to have you post here. I'm glad that appreciation of Dr. Wortman's work is in such a popular book. I wish oolichan grease were available where I live.

Hope you are doing very well.
Thank you. I am doing quite well.

As I was reading through the New Atkins For A New You book, I was very surprised to see Dr. Wortman's profile in there. It actually took me a moment while reading that section of the book to register who he was but when I did I was delighted to see that.

Regarding the oolichan grease, my guess is that it is a local fat and would be difficult to get unless you lived in that particular community. I would not mind trying it out myself just to see what it is like.

(I just got my first jar of coconut oil yesterday and am thrilled with that).
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
It is from a rather small fish found in the Pacific. It must have a milder flavor because there are plenty of bigger, fatty fish available up there.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Hi PinkSwan and Jem.

Here is the wikipedia entry for oolichan fish.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:04 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi PinkSwan and Jem.

Here is the wikipedia entry for oolichan fish.
Thank you for posting that. It was interesting to read.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Here is an update at pfw's blog about his experience on a no-starch/no-fiber diet and having that diet take away all the symptoms of Crohn's.

Also, his last comment after this post is quite interesting, regarding avoiding starch and his consequent healing.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Interesting posts as always Auntie Em. Thanks for the links.

I hope you have a warm and happy Thanksgiving.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, thanks for your kind thoughts. I wish you a lovely Thanksgiving, too.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Here is a pdf of Vilhjahlmur Stefanssons' book, The Fat of the Land.

Hope you all like it.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

I reread Lucas Tafur's post on Gut Flora today, and thought I'd post it here, in case anyone missed it.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting post. I was most happy to read high fat dairy/butter produces the needed butyrate that might be lowered with a lc diet. Any justification for the bit of cream and butter I use is happy news to me!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Shunsweets. Yep, that butyrate. I read again today about butyric acid reducing inflammation and helping to normalize intestinal flora. Wild salmon, cod liver oil, butter and cream for me!

Best wishes to all for a happy and healthy Christmas.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-22-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: typing errors
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SparrowRose
Stats: 312/260/211/140
WOE: Dr. Bernstein
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
[B]If at least 95% of your calories come from animals, and you would like to have some online company, to discuss various health, scientific, metabolic, or other aspects of a carnivorous diet, here is a thread.
Hi. I'm not at that mark yet, but I'm aiming in that direction. I just wanted to subscribe to the thread so I could keep listening in. Great stuff here! Thanks Auntie Em and all!

Sparrow
SparrowRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Sparrow. Thanks for your kind thoughts. I wish you much joy in finding the food plan that fits you the best.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Don't remember if I posted a link to this article on protein requirements on ketogenic diets:

Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Ketogenic diets and physical performance

Best wishes to all for a very lovely Christmas holiday.

Hope you all are having a
Old 12-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Once again thanks for the link Auntie Em. Made me think back to how awful I felt the first 3 weeks of my ketogenic diet where as now I seem to have unlimited endurance. I jogged 5 miles this morning and only stopped due to time constraints - I could easily have jogged 5 more. I couldn't have done that in my 30's and I'm 58 now and twice as fit (though definitely aging in other areas lol). Ketosis works for me for my diabetes - the stable weight and endurance are just lovely side effects.

Merry Christmas to you.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, thank you very much for your kind thoughts and for the great news.

I'm glad you are doing so well. You are a wonderful inspiration.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/159/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Hi Auntie Em I came across your thread here and find it fascinating! I'm subscribing so I can keep up with you! I'm currently reading "Wheat Belly" by William Davis. Interesting stuff!

I'll echo the other folks who have thanked you for your interesting and informative posts!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

SpikersMom, thanks for your kind post. That sure is a beautiful place in your avatar photo. Taking the grains out of my diet was one of the best changes for me. I wish you happy successes with your food plan.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

A bit of LC history in this post. Dr. Benjamin Sandler was one of the pioneering doctors who helped thousands of people with LC.

Here is a link to his 1951 book, Diet Prevents Polio. Here, the 1948 diet campaign in Asheville, NC which prevented many, many cases of polio. Here is more info on polio, including how the Rockefeller Milk Trust and the soft drink manufacturers put a stop to the implementation of Dr. Sandler's diet recommendations, because they were selling less ice cream. Here is the diet as listed in the newspaper in 1948:

1. Eliminate from the diet sugar and foods containing sugar, such as soft drinks, fruit juices (except tomato juice), ice cream, cakes, pastries, pies, candies, canned and preserved fruits. Saccharin may be substituted for sugar.

2. Cut down the consumption of starchy foods, such as bread, rolls, pancakes, potatoes, rice, corn, cereals, grits.

3. Substitute for starchy foods the following: tomatoes, string beans, cucumbers, greens, lettuce, turnips, carrots, beets, cabbage, onions, soybeans, cauliflower.

4. Do not eat fruits or melons more than once daily, and then only in small quantities.

5. Eat more protective foods, such as pork, eggs, beef, fish, poultry, milk, cream, cheese.

6. Eat three substantial meals a day. Avoid exertion and fatigue because they are known to be associated with low blood sugar. Avoid swimming in cold water. Rest as much as possible.

7. The diet should be followed until the polio danger is officially declared over by local health authorities

Many of us keeping LC, can attest to the strengthening effects of eating this way. It is so very nice.

I eat the way I do, due to the success of doctors such as Dr. Sandler, Dr. Richard MacKarness, Dr. Blake Donaldson, and Dr. Alfred Pennington, and more recently, Dr. Lutz and Dr. Kwasniewski, in helping so many people. I have some links to some of these at my blog.

I find it reassuring to read what I can find of their writings, that over the last almost one hundred years now, folks have been getting well eating LCHF.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-29-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: added some info
Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Very interesting AuntieEm. My husband had polio as a small child growing up in Canada. He was unable to walk for several years. He says he never heard of dietary intervention for polio. He was treated with burning hot, wet cloths being applied to his legs which he remembers with horror (he was only 2 when this started). How interesting to read yet another endorsement of lc from a very different health perspective. I become more and more convinced that vlc is the healthiest way to eat.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree Shunsweets.
I have a site in my favs; ketogenic-diet-resource.com that has articles re various states of disease and cites studies, etc along the way.

My dad had polio when he was 8 and ultimately post polio symdrome took his life in his 80's. Really, quite a long life but hard as far as ambulation is concerned and quite a number of surgeries along the way.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/159/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
What a fascinating story! I was born in 1959 and lived in Chicago until 1969. I remember taking polio vaccine with both a shot and in a sugar cube - I preferred the sugar cube ! Recently my son and I were watching a tv show in which a character contracted polio. I then had to explain polio to my 20 year old son. He had no idea how devastating these annual summer epidemics used to be and the real fear families lived in when the weather turned warm. Somehow I'm not surprised that low carb benefited people!! Thanks again Auntie Em for another interesting history lesson!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, I'm sorry that happened to your husband. I hope he recovered completely.

Jem, thanks for that link. I will enjoy checking it out. I'm very sorry about your father. The post-polio troubles have been a challenge for several I have known.

SpikersMom, the summer threats, yes. That is one of the reasons Dr. Sandler's recommendations made such an impact on me. The caution to rest enough, to not get chilled, to not overexert oneself, etc. And the three LC meals per day.

Thank you, all, for your kind posts. Hope you are having a happy New Year.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Ran across this comment by Dr. BG at her AnimalPharm blog, about the adrenal reset protocols. It reminded me of Dr. Sandler's recommendations.

The adrenal protocols advise no extremes:
-no extreme emotions
-no extreme temperatures (hot OR cold...)
-no extreme 'friends'
-no extreme stress
-no extreme fasting or high carb meals
-et cetera

Basically rest and relaxation are the cornerstone to recovery. Fresh air, exercise, fresh food, regularly spaced out food, etc.

In 'acutely stressed' lab animals, upon autopsy it was observed they had hemorrhaged adrenals. Literally, they were bleeding out from STRESS.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

This bit on nuts and PUFAs is a nice summary, from paleodiet lifestyle, entitled "Are Nuts and Seeds Healthy?":

(Can't post a link as they have an ad for a cookbook.)

The other problem when it comes to most nuts and seeds is the high amount of polyunsaturated fat (PUFA), especially the omega-6 polyunsaturated fat.

Along with access fructose and consumption of toxic grains and legumes, excess omega-6 and total PUFA intake strongly contribute to today’s chronic and metabolic diseases like diabetes, heart disease and obesity.

In the Paleo diet community, a huge focus is placed on balancing omega-6 and omega-3 intake to obtain a ratio as close to 1:1 as possible, but keeping the total intake of PUFA low is just as important, if not more. In high amount, any kind of PUFA, even omega-3s, become highly reactive and toxic.

In an effort to optimize health and longevity, one should strive to keep a total PUFA intake under 4% of total calories and an omega-6/omega-3 ratio very close to 1:1. On an average 2,200 calorie diet, 4% PUFA means only about 5 to 8 grams of omega-6 per day to maintain the proper ratio with omega-3 fats. This is very low and most nuts and seeds will quickly raise the amount to unhealthy levels. Omega-3 fats should be obtained from fatty wild fish, grass-fed ruminants and omega-3 rich eggs.

PUFAs are easily oxidized when in contact with oxygen, heat and light and oxidized PUFAs are a very bad deal for our health and creates all kinds of toxic reactions with sugars and proteins in our bodies. For this reason, nuts and seeds are much better eaten unroasted and should be refrigerated in an air-tight container and eaten promptly.

Nuts or seeds that contain appreciable levels of omega-3 fat are not necessarely a good source of omega-3 because the form of omega-3 found in plants, nuts and seeds is alpha-Linolenic acid (ALA), which isn’t useful for the body. When we talk about omega-3 fats being essential for the body, we’re talking about the long-chain EPAs and DHAs. ALA can be elongated to EPA and DHA, but the process is very inefficient.

That site has a good article entitled "The Many Dangers of Excess PUFA Consumption".

The end of January marks my one-year stint of low PUFA. It does seem as though I am noticing health improvements the last few weeks.

I eat wild salmon, but buy regular, grocery-store eggs and only occasionally have grass-fed beef. I do use mostly pastured butter. Cream and milk are usually ordinary grocery-store, but sometimes have pastured.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-15-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting paper at The Obesity Journal on ancestral eating habits, LC, insulin resistance, diabetes, weight loss, etc.

And one blogger's view of that article.

And a fascinating post by Dr. Emily Deans, Just Eat Fish, with some excellent comments, including a couple by Dr. Kurt Harris.

I found this comment by Dr. Deans noteworthy:

...I'm of two minds about the whole evolved for fish story. On one hand, the human brain fat is literally 30% DHA, and there are countless observational studies showing improved brain health (less dementia, less depression) in fish-eating populations (particularly in women). Thus a narrative has developed about a supposed human population bottleneck that occurred about 75,000 years ago along with a "great leap forward" in technology.

The narrative is that the bottleneck occurred next to the ocean in a marine-manging people, so that all modern humans are descended from these super-smart fish eaters. Once our brains began running on more fish oil, we somehow adapted to non-marine climes and hoarded what we could - the narrative is bolstered by stories of mountain dwelling people going to great lengths to get seafood (though they may have been trying to prevent iodine deficiency - Stephan has a long-ago article about this, and Chris Masterjohn's more recent one about Weston Price looking for vegans but finding only cannibals (the mountain people ate the fishermen! High in O3!) is also a good read.

On the other hand, central Europe and mid-America are full of healthy people (like Kurt) who live far from the ocean. And I also wonder if our modern O6 crazy heavy diets created this fish oil "deficiency" we have today. And I know John Hawks has disputed the bottleneck theory, saying there was no population crash 75,000 years ago.

Overall, one has to think of the long haul. Stephan wrote once he estimated 2 years for the excess linoleic acid to leave the fatty tissues -- in this paper we find that injected DHA is incorporated into the brain a few mg a day. At that rate, the few mg of O3s in a standard serving of grassfed beef or butter (with their favorable 1:1 O3/O6) would seem to be plenty. Especially if one adds phospholipids by not shirking the organ meats. (I make sure the chicken hearts cook in the bone broth).

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-17-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not convinced the fish thing is valid. I hope not anyway.

I think it was AARP that had an article about a guy who moved back to Greece after a ca diagnosis so he could die in his home country.
This is a mountainous region and there is not seafood available so the mainstays are their herds...sheep/lamb, I think, what they grow and some bread....and booze.

The guy did not die and was in his 90's at the time it was written. There are also many elders in that population.

Then there are the Okinawans who eat some seafood but their main protein is pork. It is eaten daily.