Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joannamaria
WOE: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Start Date: Atkins 72 February 2010/Optimal Diet April 2011
Cathy,
Was it hard getting the oil down? I might have a hard time with that! I have a hard time eating coconut oil. I don't like it in my coffee; I should start frying foods with it.

I have been consuming lots of cream. I hope I'm not consuming too much. According to Dr. K (what I've read online haven't got my book yet) fat is not a problem. I hope not because cream really adds up calorie wise.

Keytones,
Did your book come through US postal service?
Joannamaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #242
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Joanna- I cant stomach CO straight either, but frying with it is great the food tastes really rich and delicious, I consume a lot of cream in my coffee, I have to add almost a 1/3 of my daily carbs for that, but I do think it keeps me full and satisifed
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Joannamaria - yes, my book came through the postal service. They messed up and the slip I received said I was supposed to get it from the Mercer Island post office when I live near Issaquah. The book was not at Mercer Island, it was at Issaquah. I wonder if there is something weird with how mail is processed that comes through customs. I don't know. Maybe they are checkign yoru package for Polish contraband, LOL.

On cream, I think it is satisfying in coffee. If you go to nutritiondata.com, you will see cream is high in vitamins, and yep, there are carbs in it! good tip from Amber on that. I use a little cream in coffee but I don't go too far out there with it.

Kwasniewski does saythat for weight loss the fat needs to be reduced, so it is not as high in fat as maintenance. Well there is nothing left to reduce for weigth reduction because one is already on minimal but highest quality protein (egg-based) and the minimum 50 carbs he says is needed to make glucose.

Since I have cut dowon the LC treats, the coconut oil tastes sweeter to me. It is sweeter than the 85% lindt dark chocolate squares, so I find it tastes good as frosting on a square of the chocolate. I used to think Ic oudl not eat it off a spoon, but I have been doing it lately, esp. since i forogt my avocado for lunch yesterday! I was starving. Avocado is very satisfying!!!!

I have the 100% ghiradelli sugar free dark chocolate now. It is kind of bothersome to melt down to mix w the coconut oil, though I've done it. I just melt one in a cup of hot water or coffee and add a little cream and Z Sweet (which is not very sweet at all - stevia and erythritol). Yum!!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-20-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
WOE: RNY 11/24/14, low carb
Got some bones roasting in the oven! Can't wait to taste the broth
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
I apologize if this has already been posted.

Here is Dr. Kwasniewski's website in Polish, translated into English, using Google translator. Sometimes the translation works well and sometimes it makes no sense or it doesn't work. Even with the spotty translation, I have found it helpful.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 04-20-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: typing error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I apologize if this has already been posted.

Here is Dr. Kwasniewski's website in Polish, translated into English, using Google translator. Sometimes the translation works well and sometimes it makes no sense or doesn't it work. Even with the spotty translation, I have found it helpful.
Thank you, Auntie Em! I couldn't figure out how to translate, other than to copy paste portions into gmail and send it to myself. I am rather inept!

Oh my gosh, I thought you left the board (I posted a sad note about it in Alligator Pie's thead). I'm really happy to hear from you!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

KeyTones, thank you for your kind thoughts. I don't visit the forums so much anymore. Am just getting older and need to conserve my energy expenditures. I still visit the Maintainers and Callanetics sub-forums a bit.

Thank you very much for all your helpful posts here at LCF. I don't think you are inept at all. I was amazed that I found out how to make the Google translator work. You are offering so much that is of great benefit to many.

I wish you much joy and the best of health.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 04-20-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: added a thought
Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
I revised my vlc diet about the time this thread began. Not exactly according to the book, but using the following principles:
Lower protein
Higher fat
Lots of eggs
HWC in 4-oz doses
Add in a few veg.
Liver or braunschweiger 3-4 times a week

According to ****** my numbers for this four weeks (daily ave)

Calories 1843
Fat 136g
Carbs 14g
Protein 82 g

I weighed 175 after my pre St. Pats splurge. Four weeks ago i weighed 173.
Today and yesterday I weighed 170. That's nearly as much as I lost during weight loss. Included in the calorie count above was an average of 2 oz Jack Daniels each day. I'm pretty well pleased.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Ron, I'm glad those ratios are working so well for you. It's grand when we find things that fit.

All the best to you.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #250
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRon View Post
I revised my vlc diet about the time this thread began. Not exactly according to the book, but using the following principles:
Lower protein
Higher fat
Lots of eggs
HWC in 4-oz doses
Add in a few veg.
Liver or braunschweiger 3-4 times a week

According to ****** my numbers for this four weeks (daily ave)

Calories 1843
Fat 136g
Carbs 14g
Protein 82 g

I weighed 175 after my pre St. Pats splurge. Four weeks ago i weighed 173.
Today and yesterday I weighed 170. That's nearly as much as I lost during weight loss. Included in the calorie count above was an average of 2 oz Jack Daniels each day. I'm pretty well pleased.
All I can say is that in my next life, I want to come back as a male! Truly, wonderful!!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CalRon,

Wow, this is such good news!!!

I am so pleased that this plan is working so well for you!

Well, I am clear of all hives. I am going to add back eggs next week (crossing fingers) and hope that no hives reappear. I really think it was the cheese and nuts, but I will find out shortly.

I can't wait to hop in full force!!! Over-easy eggs sound so good! I hope my liver tablets arrive next week.

I am running low on the pork rinds (no reordering!). Heh, when they are gone, I shall see where my weight really is. It is going well; my vacation weight is gone, and my weight is just bouncing around in the usual pattern. I think sodium doesn't really cause a stall as much as it disguises weight loss. Here's hoping to finding a new low shortly!

I'm pretty sure I don't really like artichokes now - I'm realizing I can't stand the heart part! I think I just like scooping up butter.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-21-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #252
Chatty Cathy

KT, glad to hear your hives are gone - I used to get them every spring and summer from sun exposure and they drove me insane. And like you, they would last for ages and of course even the most brief sun exposure would bring them back full force. It was hard as a kid who loved to play outside. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you too and hopefully eggs are not the culprit!

I love artichokes but haven't had them in ages. I used to buy them in season and marinade them in soy and other seasonings and then grill them on the bbq. I loved them this way - I will have to see if I can resurrect that recipe and make it l/c.!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

KT and Clackley, I'm sorry about the hives. So many things can trigger them. Some folks get them due to a histamine reaction and eating a low-histamine diet and taking Quercetin or anti-histamines are a help. Tea, and the herb, lovage, have high Quercetin content, as do capers.

Best wishes for good health and a happy week-end.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Hi everyone! Just checking in. I have been reading along on my phone but just too busy to post (plus i hate textting anything more than 12 characters )...

Anyway, glad to hear you are all hanging in there. I gained 6.5 lbs this week and i am bummed out. It is the first time i have gained like this since i started in September. I know the problem was that i ate several servings of seafood salad over the weekend (made especially for me with no pasta by one of my co-workers) It was delicious, and i should have known! Yesterday i finally broke it down on ****** and, because of the imitation crab and onions, i figure it was about 20 carbs a cup! I easily ate 2 cups on Saturday and Sunday (plus my usual food) and then finished it off on Monday...All this at the same time i switched to sausage from low sodium bacon for breakfast, so i am just packed with sodium. It was good but it was so not worth it. I think i would have fared better by letting them just give me a cake for my birthday and just smiled and not eaten any. Good grief.

So i am back to my VLC strong. Eggs, bacon, coffee with coconut oil/stevia/ coconut milk for breakfast. Eggs salad or boiled egg and burger pattie for lunch. Steak and eggs or Pork chop with boiled eggs and Bubbies sauekraut for dinner. This was working fine. Throw in a couple of huge glasses of water with lime/ACV and stevia, and maybe some sunflower seeds and that was my day. Back to watching and charting daily to keep my protein below 70gm/day.

I have been really inspired by you all with the bone broth, and i am ready to make some! Dug the crockpot out of a "for yard sale" box in my basement so now I just have to track down some grass fed bones. I think i will actually get some this weekend at this Eastern European butcher shop i found- wish me luck. Not a whole lot of English spoken in there when i went in there before, but i am determined! lol! I have been reading all about the benefits of bone broth online and the gelatin/collagen thing is truly intriguing. I heard you all talking about eating skin to repair skin...I was wondering about whether eating the gelatin will improve cartildge loss in my knees? It is worth a try. I was also thinking it will help with my skin tightening program. Do you think if i can't find any bones that eating the Knox geletin will substitute? I don't really make any recipes- given what you see i typically eat, how would you suggest i get the geletin in?
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Auntie Em - thank you for the tips on the quercetin tea/loveage/capers tip! The hives are maddening.

Anntie Em & Clackley - My mother suffered from food sensitivities and hives, this is her revenge for my wondering if she was a hypochondriac when I was a kid! I remember she thought she was allergic to everything and could not pluck her eyebrows due to itchiness. Ugh. This showed up in me when I was pregnant and has not gone away. I thought, "Oh no, it can't be....I'm just like her!"

When my current boss found out I have mysterious hives, she referred me to her dermatologist (I told him one allergist told me I am allergic to practically everything and years later another found I am allergic to nothing on skin testing). He immediately knew what was wrong. He said I have "dermatographic uticartica," which means skin-writing, named because you can lightly scratch a word on your skin, and a few minutes later the word will "rise" from your skin as welts (hives).

Yep, if you're into the 70s movies, you know, this means, I'm the Exorcist!!!! ((((HELP ME!!!!)))).

Just to prove it, he ran a skin allergy test and said because it is in "active phase" now, every single prick would rise up and show a positive reaction, and on a blood test, it might show I am allergic to nothing. Yep, he was right! He said he could run this skin test a few months later when things are calm and nothing would happen. He told me to rotate my skin and hair products because I will build sensitivies, yet later will be able to go back to it and nothing will happen.

Anyway, this means, when in active phase, my skin reacts for mysterious reasons. Just touching it causes hives. Sunlight causes hives. Hot water. A slight scratch with a sterile medical grade needle. Anything. So, it can make a person crazy, you think you're allergic to everything, yet you really are not, the skin is just releasing histamine for being touched. I think I am finally in inactive phase, and it is my hope that this whole thing is an auto-immune issue triggered by something in the diet.

He prescribed Zyrtec (anti-hystamine) and Zantac (suppresses stomach acid) together (this is what my boss is taking). I looked into it, I don't think it is wise to use the Zantac, as far as weighing the risks. I'm sure it works, but stomach acid is very important to your immune system. Obviously the hives is some auto-immune disorder, I really think that I am zero-ing in on a dietary cause. I hope.

I will take an antihistamine on occasion if it is very bothersome. I would much find dietary solutions! I will definitely look into Auntie Em's suggestions!

I love Kurt Harris for his ideas. Don't eat poisonous things. Eat things that are defenseless when dead. I noticed the vegetables he eats are generally really fruits, have you noticed? I haven't read through his entire blog yet.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julieemb414 - good to hear from you! Eh, don't be bummed. That is going to happen from time to time. It happened to me on vacation recently.

Bone broth is the new hot! We are so cool now. I love being a cool paleo.

I get a lot of gelatin when making broth from chicken drumsticks. I know this sounds odd. I always have a lot of them in stock; my daughter is 16 but she is like a little child that only wants to eat the drumsticks! I have read that the gelatin comes from teh chicken skin too. The stock I make from whole chicken drumsticks (meat and skin on) is more gelatinous than the stock I obtain from stewing an entire chicken.

On the skin-tightening, my skin is tightening up and glowing. I don't know if it is the epsom salt baths or the gelatin/collagen diet, or perhaps tossing out the cheese, or maybe the Mark Sisson (of Mark's Daily Apple) cave-man/cave-girl exercises, or all of this.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-22-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

KT, I'm sorry that allergic reactions are so strong. Dr. Blake Donaldson wrote a book called Strong Medicine, published in 1961. That book is my measuring stick for my food plan. All the grand things Dr. Harris writes, and Dr. K's, and Dr. Deans' work, all just add to what Dr. Donaldson wrote about. Dr. Donaldson helped folks with allergies as well as those who were overweight. He states that many of us are just allergic, not that the things themselves cause the allergies, but that those of us who have those reactions can have allergic reactions to many things. I was fortunate to be able to buy a copy of the book at a reasonable price. I highly recommend reading it, if you can get it through interlibrary loan, or find one at a good price. Dr. Michael Eades refers to Dr. Donaldson in some of his blog posts.

I make my own soap, from olive oil, and make shampoo from that. I don't use any commercial products for grooming, cleaning, dishes, laundry etc. The chemicals cause problems. There is a super forum for making soaps and toiletries called "The Dish". Not using commercial grooming or cleaning products helps so much with health, and saves money, too. I use coconut, castor, and jojoba oils on my skin and hair.

For those who make yoghurt, Knox gelatin powder can be mixed in before setting the yoghurt to incubate. Knox gelatin powder or gelatin from cooking meat can be put in any meat dish, soup, or stew.

I also cut up seaweed and put it in various dishes.

I highly recommend reading all of Dr. Harris' blog, and Dr. Emily Deans, Evolutionary Psychiatry, and Dr. Peter Dobromylskyj's, Hyperlipid, too. Some of their best statements are in the comments after the blog posts. Sometimes they correct things in those comments, too. Takes some doing, especially for those of us who didn't study biochemistry in college, but it's well worth the effort.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 04-22-2011 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Auntie Em,

You are such a great resource. I will read Strong Medicine, and yes, I love those blogs and comments! I have so much to read. I haven't heard of Dr. Blake Donaldson. Wow, it must be out of print, it is expensive on the online sources. I will check the library system!

I have discovered the issues with the cleaners! I hired someone to clean my house at one point but the place was full of chemical odors. I find most things can be cleaned with hot water or scrubbed with baking soda just fine.

"The Dish" I will look into this too.

I have not thought about making soap, I have been reviewing websites of people that make soap. That sounds like fun, actually! Sounds wonderful!

I love seaweed, I snack on it, it is a great food. It has never given me problems. I have done odd things like roll avocado with a little pesto in a sheet of it. I can't eat pesto often, though.

OH, so much to do and read! Love it!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

KT, thank you for your kind thoughts.

The website, addall.com, is a compilation of online booksellers. I found my copy through that. I paid ten or fifteen dollars including shipping.

Making soap is easy, and one can make the very best soap with little expense. The Dish Forum has the most responsible soapmakers I've found on the web. Here is the laundry soap recipe I use. I posted some soapmaking links and general info here.

I agree about the baking soda. White vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, too. (Some can't have vinegar around.)

Hope you can get Dr. Donaldson's book through interlibrary loan.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 04-22-2011 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: added a link
Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #260
Chatty Cathy

Auntie Em, I am pretty sure that it was you who lead me to hyperlipid's blog and I can't thank you enough - not only is it super informative but I love his sense of humour! Thanks again - I pay it forward all the time!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, thanks for your kindness. Peter's humor is the best, I agree. His blog has filled in so many of the missing pieces of the puzzle for me. I like it, too, that he just posts his posts and comments, and goes his way. I've read a few of his veterinary articles online, and that same brilliance and humor is in those, too.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Bone broth is the new hot! We are so cool now. I love being a cool paleo.
Okay! I think i love being a "cool paleo" too !

Thanks for the hint about the chicken drumsticks. I was wondering if that juice that cooks out of them when baked and then gels up in the fridge is the gelatin you all were taking about. I had kinda backed off of eating much chicken after reading Dr. Harris' blog and he says that the n6:n3 ratio in poultry is not good at all- and then Dr. Kwaniewski (sp?) recommending that pork is the perfect food... I thought you all were basically making beef broths. That's why i was on the mission for the grass fed beef bones. I was reading on a blog by a Dr. Knox [URL="http://www.easy-immune-health.com/essential-bone-broth.html"]talking about the benefits of broth and she was adamant about using grass fed bones. She puts forth that all the pesticides & hormones used in the raising of industrial meat are just amplified when you boil the bones down for 24 or 48 hours...something to think about. Anyway, i am just not yet at the pastured grass fed only place. I know i have to rethink/reorganize what i think i can "afford" and just make the committment. For now i have been trying to follow Dr. Harris suggestion to go on and eat commercially raised meat but just limit poultry and supplement with fish oil when you do eat it. Anyway...just trying to sort it all out.

KT- Sorry to hear about your hives. I have made foaming hand soap and body wash from a recipe i got online to use up those bothersome small pieces of soap that get leftover. It was fun - and i hate to waste stuff. I think i will look into making some items form scratch too. I made a cool magnesium lotion with castor oil and coconut oil and epsom salts, and i think it is really helping the muscle cramps i was having sometimes... Boy, soon you will just have to call me 'homemade mama" and hang a big pot over a fire in the front lawn! I'm making everything from scratch and now thinking about making soap and cleansers too?!! It's all good though, and it just feels right... a woman's work is never done? lol!
Old 04-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I am so freaked out today!
My weight has been almost perfectly stable for the last 6 days, within .2lbs, and I was very happy about that. Not losing, sure, but I thought maybe I had gotten my appetite & food intake well-balanced, and would just need to "tweak" a thing or two to finally get on my way to losing weight.
Today I am up 6 pounds!
I might be "retaining water" or whatever, but I'm still at a weight I have NEVER, EVER seen before.

It's so frustrating. I know I've eliminated a lot of daily calories & snacking over the last month, I'm not eating nuts & soy in case those were "stalling" me, I'm drinking plenty of water & starting to exercise a little more, I ate almost nothing but eggs for 2 weeks & I'm really missing meat!!!

I have a doctor's appt on May 10th...he always prescribes some bloodwork (thyroid, liver enzymes, metabolic panel) and asks if there's "anything else" I would like to be tested for. Any suggestions? Cortisol, for example? Is there a way to test for leptin resistance?
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, I am sure grass-fed beef is better. I will buy grass-fed hamburger when I find it at a reasonable price.

I can't explain it, but I just feel best eating chicken. That is my best gauge for what to eat that works for me. The smell of beef turns my stomach, and I really don't like steak. Somehow hamburger is better but not great. The grass-fed hamburger I find is so lean I end up mixing it with avocado just to get it down. The same with pork, it is much harder for me to eat it. I can barely stomach ham. I like sausage and bacon better. I guess I like fat, not meat, eh?

I will try the beef broth again, I couldn't eat it the first time I made it (the smell turned my stomach), but I failed to roast it first. I hope it makes a difference.

Harris is not in favor of chicken, but if you read his post about eating on a budget (I can't find it right now), he does say to buy the cheap roasted chickens if you can barely afford meat. I noted he says he takes Carlson's cod liver oil when he eats this or "factory meat" or restaurant food with PUFAs (but I won't take cod liver oil, it blocks vitamin E absorption).

You can always find a reason to eat, or not eat just about anything. I am trying to avoid getting too obsessed with this (but you know, I have a bad case of being obsessed with my diet as it is). I have read that chickens don't get as sick on the standard feed as do cattle (they are birds, after all, but I know they prefer bugs), so, it is something to think about if you're buying factory meat. Pigs are fed a lot of corn and soy, that is disconcerting. I doubt Polland has the crazy industrial food industry issues we have.

Anyway, this is supposed to be an egg-based diet, with a lot of dairy fat, and organ meats should be eaten, muscle meat is not meant to be a big part of the diet anyway. If I eat a portion of meat, it is only a wing's worth, or possibly a drumstick's worth. I will admit this is the base of my bone broth, and I am not concerned at all.

OH my gosh, that reminds me, the butcher shop finally got some chicken backs in (I want them for soup!), but they had already ground them up (!!!). I asked why, and there was this uncomfortable pause on the other end of the phone...they are selling it as...DOG FOOD!!!

UGH!!!

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-22-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PirateJenny - I don't know what might be causing it in your case, I do note that my weight fluctuations can get pretty crazy if I go almost no sodium then have some. I've decided not to get wrapped around the axle if my weight goes up with something salty, or if it is a certain time of the month, or if I'm sore as heck from exercise, but I don't have a heart issue so I don't have to worry (we do for my husband - we have to watch for weigth flux there)

Dietary changes can create temporary elimination issues as well. Teh coconut oil helps with that, I've noticed.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

KT, wild salmon, Atlantic herring/sardines/mackerel are high on the list of recommendations of fish. I prefer eating them to taking CLO.

Don Matesz at Primal Wisdom has a few posts on Omega 3, eating fish, and how much fish is needed to balance the Omega 3:6 ratio in eating a supermarket diet, grain-fed meat and all.

I would think that if one is avoiding grains, excess fructose and PUFAs that the chicken wouldn't tip the iceberg, so to speak. I stopped eating nuts/seeds and their oils due to phytates and PUFAs. Apparently, it takes a couple of years of eating ideal Omega 3 to 6 ratios for the body to shed the excess Omega 6. Dr. Harris mentioned this in a couple of comments, and I haven't been able to find them again to bookmark them. They might have been in the forum comments.

PirateJenny, I'm sorry. I don't know what to suggest. There are some specific thyroid tests. You might check in the sub-forums under health concerns here. There are some thyroid experts who post in those sub-forums. It takes so much reading and experimenting for some of us. I wish you success.

Dr. Michael Eades and Dr. Peter Dobromylskyj both say eat so that insulin levels are low, and that there must be caloric deficit. (I say, fine and good, but how to eat so one is nourished, feels sated, and have caloric deficit, when the satiety signals are broken? It is continuous experimentation for some of us.)

It's tricky, as so many things can raise insulin, and those of us who have damaged metabolisms with our insulin resistance, might have insulin responses to things we don't know about. Salicylates and salicylate-like-substances trigger insulin, for example.

I'm trying to make my way through Dr. Michael Eades' blog and comments, but it's slow going.

Sending you all best thoughts for joy in learning and enjoying good health.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 04-22-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: corrected error
Old 04-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Yes, i read where Dr. Harris will sometimes buy a rotisserie chicken or eat out and then take some of the Carlson's cod liver oil. I checked that stuff out- $42 for a small bottle backed me up a bit. I tried switching from regular fish oil capsules to cod liver oil capsules and had to switch back. I take coumadin and didn't think to check the interactions with cod liver oil- i had a potentially dangerous reaction. At the same time i was steeping fresh ginger in my tea and putting a couple of drops of grapefruit seed extract in my water (both NOT recommended for people taking anti-coagulants!), so i was giving my self a triple no-no. I have to remember to double check before i make big changes. Also, i think that since i have been sugar/grain free and VlC for 6 months now that my body HAS healed some and i am more sensitive to things, or maybe i absorb the nutrients in things like i never did before. Anyway i like chicken, and find the broth made into a simple soup is pretty tasty and maybe can be a way i can get it in.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
KT, I would think that if one is avoiding grains, excess fructose and PUFAs that the chicken wouldn't tip the iceberg, so to speak. I stopped eating nuts/seeds and their oils due to phytates and PUFAs. Apparently, it takes a couple of years of eating ideal Omega 3 to 6 ratios for the body to shed the excess Omega 6. Dr. Harris mentioned this in a couple of comments, and I haven't been able to find them again to bookmark them. They might have been in the forum comments.
I will have to look through some of his old posts again. I believe i remember reading something like that too. I remember reading and reading looking for some indication of how long it could be expected to heal your body once eliminating all the PUFAs and grains and fructose... Yes, i am definitely one of those that it will take a couple of years or more...Vigilance. Perserverance.

PirateJenny- I don't have any new suggestions either but offer a hug Hang in there. The answer is forthcoming.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
the thing is--I'M NOT HUNGRY!!! for the first time in years, if not decades!!!

i really wish this WOE would work out for me--not just because i can have my favorite foods like mayonnaise, cream & pâté, but because i'm eating smaller amounts & feeling full longer.

i feel like i can't talk to anybody IRL about this WOE because they won't they just think I'm the biggest idiot, already almost 300lbs and trying to lose weight/get healthy without completely cutting out mayonnaise, cream & pâté?!!!

i did have some Chinese food yesterday (scallops&broccoli) and also tried pancetta for the first time and OMG was it horribly salty...i'm just sayin', even if this is my alarmingly-bloated-retaining-water-weight, it's at least 3-4lbs above my last alarmingly-bloated-retaining-water weight...which just seems to go up every month lately.

it's like the opposite of a whoosh.

thank you, Julie, for the hug!

PS--Has anyone on this thread (I know there are other threads about it) tried the Rosedale diet?
It seems like a similar plan, at least calorie distribution-wise (high fat, moderate protein, low carb), but eliminates a lot of the animal fat allowed on this plan.
It doesn't look exciting to me...goes against some of what I have been reading...but it supposedly addresses leptin resistance.

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-22-2011 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joannamaria
WOE: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Start Date: Atkins 72 February 2010/Optimal Diet April 2011
Gosh it's nice to see Auntie Em! I talked to you a few time Auntie Em on the board.

I am so happy for you Cal Ron!

Bejewelme/Amber,
I will start frying with CO, maybe I'll mix it with butter. I love my cream too!

Keytones,
I got my book! I have been reading it. I do have a couple questions how you understood what he wrote, but I have to go to work now and don't have time to ask. Hopefully you don't mind me asking you?!?

Piratejenny,
I know what you mean. I've been stalled so I hear all the time that I should change diets because it's not working. I feel sad that I'm such a poor example for low-carb.

Hi to everyone else!!
Joannamaria is offline   Reply With Quote