Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #151
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
You may want to ROAST the marrow bones first! I haven't done it myself, but I think the marrow might be more appealing that way than boiled for hours. Then the roasted bones make a more tasty stock.

When I make broth, I add some onions & celery and usually some herbs like rosemary, thyme, tarragon (but that depends if you like those flavors in whatever you might be using the broth for). As jem mentioned, a splash of vinegar (to help draw the calcium out of the bones) and no need to add the gelatin til the end or when preparing the final dish.
Roasting the bones for 45 mins. makes a huge difference in taste. Another tip is to add a bit of dried seaweed in the last hour of simmering. There are a ton of health benefits added by doing this. Here is a link... greenfootsteps
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Amber/Bejewelme - I can't help much on the marrow suggestions; I tried it once but could not eat it (I am a big whimp of a Kwasniewski dieter, I know...). I do remember reading in the Kwasniewski book a recipe where the marrow was strained back into the soup, I suppose for texture concerns.

RE: Zinc - I have a magnesium, calcium, D3, zinc supplement I take. I had not thought about the zinc portion, but I know the magnesium is not the ideal type. I will start taking my magnesium citrate too!

It is so interesting, I just read another member on teh board stating magnesium makes her drowzy and can only take it before bed. I suppose it may really be the relaxation mineral.

Clackley - Wow, I just checked, oysters are incredibly packed with zinc! Great find!

Jem51 - thank you for the gelatin instructions. I'm making soup right now and will add.

All - I've been finding ways to add gelatin into the diet. If sweeteners don't bother you, you might like this. I have these tall 2 cup mugs - I put a tablespoon of gelatin into water near boiling in the mug then 2 packets of Propel Zero drink mix (from Target - it has no food dye - my husband likes them). I put it in the refrigerator after it cooled. It was good and a filling snack!

You might laugh, but I started out thinking I was going to make coffee with gelatin water but it smelled like beef broth so I set it aside. When I went back later, it had almost no odor after cooling, so I thought of tossing in the Propel packets to rescue it.

I made a cold chocolate coffee shake and added gelatin. It was a little grainy, but I don't mind!

I am finding this diet is sooooo much more filing if I stick with the soups and snacks that are also water - based (coffee with coconut milk or gelatin). I have never found fiber to be filling, but the liquid-based gelatin snacks and gelatinous soups are really working out for me. I note that Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) recommended sugar-free gelatin as a snack (his concern is blood glucose/insulin reactions of course).

Also, whenever I come back from vacation (and eating too much), it takes me to come down from the road food. Finally, today I am back to my normal low appetite. Ugh! Most days I didn't stray too far from plan but ate too much. I am holding off weighing until next week!!!

OK, time to post another article.

Ugly Christmas sweater competition - this is how I felt in the elevator...

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-09-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Magnesium - Epsom Salts

Ooo, check this out. I'm still going to take my mag/calcium/d3/zinc supplement. This sounds great too! Heh, there is an Epsom Salt Council...

Epsom Salt Council - About Epsom Salt - The Science of Epsom Salt

Better health through soaking

Magnesium can be ingested as a nutritional supplement, but studies show that a wide variety of factors - the presence of specific foods or drugs, certain medical conditions, even the individual chemistry of a person's stomach acid - can interfere with their effectiveness. But all of the subjects in a recent study experienced increased magnesium levels from soaking in a bath enriched with magnesium sulfate crystals, commonly known as Epsom Salt.

Researchers and physicians report that raising your magnesium levels may:

Improve heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.

Improve the body's ability to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.

Flush toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.

Improve nerve function by regulating electrolytes. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.

Relieve stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.

While increasing your magnesium levels, Epsom Salt also delivers sulfates, which are extremely difficult to get through food but which readily absorb through the skin. Sulfates serve a wide variety of functions in the body, playing a vital role in the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the mucin proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. Sulfates also stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and are believed to help detoxify the body's residue of medicines and environmental contaminants.

Starved for magnesium

A variety of factors contributes to the nation's magnesium deficiency. Intensive farming practices deplete magnesium from the soil, and magnesium is not a standard component in most fertilizers. Therefore, a diet that would have supplied enough magnesium a century ago may not supply enough today.

At the same time, average Americans eat diets far less healthy than their ancestors ate. The typical modern diet, rich in fat, sugar, salt and protein, not only contains less magnesium than a balanced diet does; these same foods actually accelerate the depletion of magnesium from our systems.

So, too, does our emphasis on calcium as an antidote for bone disease; calcium drains magnesium from the body, and calcium can only perform its role in the cells when sufficient magnesium is present. Studies indicate that taking a calcium supplement without ensuring the body also receives enough magnesium can therefore amplify the shortage of both nutrients. Researchers have found that most Americans have five times as much calcium as magnesium in their bodies; the proper ratio for optimum absorption of both minerals is about two to one.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #154
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hey guys thanks for the broth tips, I was looking at recipes and they all said to roast first so I will do that. I worry leaving the stove on all night but I guess if it is low enough its OK, do you cover the pot while it simmers? I am going to roast the onion, garlic and celery with it too, and then boil all that together!

KT- I swear you are a mind reader!!!! I was just reading that one of the girls that had this arm surgery is soaking her arms in epsom salt baths, just read it and then come here and see you mention it! I am wondering how I can do this since I dont think I cant lift myself out of the tub with my arms I am thinking I need a baby bathtub, I could sit it on the table and soak them, I am going to let Tony figure that out today, LOL

Is everyone buying zinc this week? I went 3 places all were out! WTH? I order from Vit life they have good prices but the shipping is slow and several items are on back order. I am a huge fan of the orange flavored Carlsons fish oil it is the only one I tried that doesnt repeat!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
WOE: RNY 11/24/14, low carb
Hi all,
have been keeping up with this thread. Thanks for the great articles KT! I have really upped my fat, lowered my protein to about 70 grams a day, eaten 4 eggs a day. Had EVCO and cream in my coffee today. Bought some liver sausage, that will be part of today's lunch. I have not increased my carbs. I am afraid to mess with my blood sugar.
The good news is that I have now officially lost 60 pounds. These few tweaks seem to have jump-started some weight loss.
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #156
Chatty Cathy

I loved Dr. Eades' article. I know I read it before but for some reason it has more meaning for me now. I am going to reference it in the future!

I like to 'supplement' through food when possible but after having a look into food sources for magnesium, it appears I would have to eat way more than I do normally to get 100% of my daily values. I don't eat soy so according to the list (below) I would have to eat 5 of the first 6 foods listed everyday just to achieve 100% DV!

Magnesium

I have a supplement by the name of 'natural calm' - $30 for 8oz! As I recall, Epsom salts are pretty cheap and a bath 'for my health' sounds pretty good!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #157

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Kathy, this is an amazing thread, packed full of information... I don't have time to post much because I am swamped at work and work-related work has taken over most of my free time, but I stop by and read and learn. I also read all the links you post on FB, very informative and thanks for doing all that "leg work".

I was just at Albertsons and bought another half of a cow bone, they chopped it up nicely for me. I put it in the crockpot with herbs, etc., and simmer it for 8 hrs. Makes amazing broth! I actually take out the broth, and put more water in with the bone, and make a second batch that comes out almost as good and fatty as the first one ...all the calcium and marrow and good stuff comes out.

Someone advised me to put some white wine or vinegar (I pick vinegar) while it cooks to help dissolve and leech out the good stuff. Then freeze in mug, take out of mug, seal in a plastic ziploc bag, and put back in freezer. When ready to thaw, the frozen chunk goes back int he mug it was taken out of, and reheated....single-sized serving, very handy.

Everyone, have a fun, happy, and successful week!

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 04-10-2011 at 10:08 AM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I loved Dr. Eades' article. I know I read it before but for some reason it has more meaning for me now. I am going to reference it in the future!

I like to 'supplement' through food when possible but after having a look into food sources for magnesium, it appears I would have to eat way more than I do normally to get 100% of my daily values. I don't eat soy so according to the list (below) I would have to eat 5 of the first 6 foods listed everyday just to achieve 100% DV!

Magnesium

I have a supplement by the name of 'natural calm' - $30 for 8oz! As I recall, Epsom salts are pretty cheap and a bath 'for my health' sounds pretty good!
Cathy, I use Natural Calm, too, that big online book retailer has it cheaper - $21.55 for 16 oz.

Hope your baby dogs are doing well, especially the older one.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #159
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Cathy, I use Natural Calm, too, that big online book retailer has it cheaper - $21.55 for 16 oz.

Hope your baby dogs are doing well, especially the older one.
Thank you so much for the tip. I would have never thought to order on line - duh!

My Sadie is doing really well - it is really quite remarkable. I said to my son just today, that I think she is 'healed'. She has been terrified of thunder all her life and we had a big one just pass through and she didn't even flinch!!! I guess maybe there is a lot to a natural diet even for dogs. I am off to buy them more meat!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Good day, all....

I like to use magnesium gel! (also sold as lotion or oil)

It's handy--cheap, works fast, doesn't upset the digestive system, and I can use it any time of night when I get leg/foot cramps or can't sleep...I'm not likely to get up at 3am and soak my feet

I used the Peter Gilham's stuff for years but it's so sour I really dread taking it. The lotion is so much less complicated!

I had an alarming week--my weight went up at least 5 or 6 pounds in a few days. Then it went down a little on Friday and today I am FOUR pounds lighter than yesterday morning!!! And EXACTLY the same weight I was last Sunday!!!

It was TOM but I don't usually have such weird weight fluctuations. And I had NO carb cheats--adding HWC to my diet has really cut down on my hunger and cravings.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Just had to chime in on the topic of avocados. They make wonderful, rich soup (good for cold days). In case anyone is interested, I will post the recipe here....

Avocado soup (single serving)

1 avocado
bouillon or broth (I like to use my own chicken stock)
chopped fresh garlic (1 small clove)
dash of hot sauce
1 tsp. cider vinegar

Using a blender (submersible is the simplest) puree all of the above ingredients. Heat to a simmer and add 1 tsp. bacon fat and a bit of chopped up ham.
Gasp! I made this for lunch, my gosh, that is good!!! I forgot to buy ham, so I crumbled one strip of bacon on top.

Minus the broth, this must be the best guacamole recipe!!! I am having all these thoughts of bacon/hot sauce guacamole with pork rinds, heh.

Thank you, Clackley!!!

Also, on avocados - I read last night that potassium is necessary in managing insulin responses, and low potassium can be a concern for diabetics since fruit (the main dietary source for potassium) is often ditched by necessity. I am not sure how I feel about Ray Peat yet, but this makes sense. And avocados have a great deal of potassium (and other minerals!); I think this can only help, especially since I am increasing my carbs.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-10-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amber/Bejewelme - magnesium/Epsom salt - interesting, I hadn't thought about the arms for this. A vet told me to soak a wound this way once, but that was to keep it open to drain. I think. It was a long time ago.

I don't know if this makes sense, but Saran wrap always comes in handy when my husband has issues - to hold medications on things (when he is told to keep something moist), or to wrap something to keep soap and water off of it (had to wrap his arm before when the docs needed to keep a line in, but he needed a shower!). So, anyway, maybe some gauze soaked it epsom salt water with saran wrap around the arm for just a little while? But I have no clue if it is adviseable.

Kimmarie - Wow! It is good to hear you are having success!!! Great work!!!

Clackley - The Eades article, I really needed the refresher. I found the numbers interesting that the dieters gravitated to naturally on the low carb diet.

I think it was around 80-ish grams of protein and 65-ish carbs. I know the fat percentage was lower than Kwasniewski, but he does say to eat less fat for weight loss while maintaining the 50 g highest quality protein and 50 carbs.

One of the reasons I am posting about magnesium and mineral absorption is I am convinced nutritional deficiencies get in the way, and my digestive upsets point directly to this. Taubes talks about the obese being internally starved, and I feel very strongly about this. If I can solve these issues and get my body to absorb the minerals and up my nutrition, I think I am going to see results.

Clackley and Eliza Jazz - Natural Calm - thank you for the tip! It is Magnesium Citrate, I see, I think I paid more for the brand I have. If you click the link, netrition also carries it for a very good price! I will order some next time I need more Lindt chocolate (they have 100% unsweetened).

PirateJenny - magnesium gel! Thank you for the idea! I think my husband especially could use this, he often gets leg cramps in the middle of the night (he is on diuretics), this is a great solution!!! I feel fo you, ugh, I am in TOM hell today. Yesterday was the first good day I had after eating road trip food, now this! I hope I come out of this on the other side as well as you!

CalRon - I hope not to drive you away with the girl talk!!! Please pardon!

All - I'm glad you're enjoying the articles! I love to read constantly. It is fun to share. The articles on FB are usually from the Emily Deans/Kurt Harris/Peter at Hyperlipid group, or something I've read or heard about Gary Taubes - I think some of you are already following these. I am listening to some of Jimmy's broadcasts as well. If you want to friend me on FB, just send me a personal message.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-10-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
WOE: RNY 11/24/14, low carb
Bought some avocados to try Cathy's soup. Sounds delish! I have the natural calm too. I have the lemon-raspberry flavor. Not too bad. Have been making sure I get enough magnesium every day. Helps with restless legs, insulin resistance and "bathroom issues".

Had anyone had issues with increased caffeine sensitivity while eating this way? I have been extra jittery with just my regular 2 cups of coffee a day. Bought some decaf to cut down.
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 AM   #164

Girls- made the broth OMG it smells and looks so delish!!! I roasted the bones with onion, garlic and celery and lots of herbs, then simmered it about 15 hours, we skimmed it and put it in containers I cant wait to try it, I added the ACV and the bones were hollow when it was done, amazing! I tasted it and man what a difference from regular broth!!!!

Kim- coffee is half my blood stream, LOL I drink so much but have always been a coffee head, so cant comment on that!

KT- I am asking about the epsom salt today and that is a good idea, I have a little blow up pedicure basin I thought I can lay my arms out over that and try it!

Amber
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #165
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Amber/Bejewelme - magnesium/Epsom salt - interesting, I hadn't thought about the arms for this. A vet told me to soak a wound this way once, but that was to keep it open to drain. I think. It was a long time ago.

One of the reasons I am posting about magnesium and mineral absorption is I am convinced nutritional deficiencies get in the way, and my digestive upsets point directly to this. Taubes talks about the obese being internally starved, and I feel very strongly about this. If I can solve these issues and get my body to absorb the minerals and up my nutrition, I think I am going to see results.

I recall that some years ago when I had my first baby, that the aftercare in hospital was epsom salts 'bath' to help heal an episiotomy.

I am so glad that you posted about the magnesium, calcium and zinc. I totally agree with you on this subject. I also like to think that the lack of weight loss is a 'healing period' but the supplements will advance this. I am also I.F. for a few reasons but on the lines of healing - that my digestive track gets long periods of rest. Does that make any sense?

Really glad you like the soup. I would love to take credit for it but it came from someone (can't remember who) on LCF. I just tweaked it a bit. I think avocados are one of those super foods. I believe a cup of this soup will be my 'fast breaking' food today.

I have not made beef broth for ages and inspired by Bejewelme to make some this week.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I decided to do a Whole 30 challenge. I've had a miserable cold for 10 days which is 7 days longer than it should've lasted.

I'll be checking in to see how everyone's doing.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #167

Man the broth is delicious!!!! I will be doing this once a week I think, just to have it on hand for stuff, it is so delicious!!!! I roasted and I added some vinegar to leech the calcium it is so good I didnt even add salt or anything to it when I heated it up, it looked like a gelatinous mess, LOL But I scraped the fat off and it was delicious heated! Even though it is a freaky day and its 82 here! Go figure it is suppose to be 35 tomorrow!

Amber
Old 04-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Man the broth is delicious!!!! I will be doing this once a week I think, just to have it on hand for stuff, it is so delicious!!!! I roasted and I added some vinegar to leech the calcium it is so good I didnt even add salt or anything to it when I heated it up, it looked like a gelatinous mess, LOL But I scraped the fat off and it was delicious heated! Even though it is a freaky day and its 82 here! Go figure it is suppose to be 35 tomorrow!

Amber
Amber, I enjoy homemade broth, too. Reheat it and then add some scallions to it and a bit of vinegar and hot sauce - reminds me of my favorite, hot and sour soup. Yum!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #169

Ohhh that sounds delish!!!! That will be my lunch tomorrow!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jem51 - I hope you are feeling better soon! What is a Whole 30 challenge?

Clackley - I have heard of fasting for health, most definitely. I have read about conditions that cannot be otherwise treated that improve greatly upon fasting. Digestion seems to be quite taxing on the body.

All - I'm going to try the marrow broth again, roasting first, which I didn't do last time! I am so curious now.

If you decide to try the epsom salt bath, keep your hair out of it! I woke up looking like a wild woman this morning! Heh, it's a lot cheaper than "volumizer" products !!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #171

KT- You think I should try the bath today my Gram is here to help, might try laying clean soaked towels over them! I will remember about the hair, just what I need I look like a bush woman in the morning, LOL

I need your help, check my journal about the scar silicone sheets, he said I could try them, but just let them heal on their own, nothing on them, I bought these cause everyone raved. I consider you like half a doctor, LOL!!!!! I am so glad i have such smart peeps with reason on here!!!! I so wish you could come for broth today!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Hi All! This is a great thread. I found out about Dr. Kwaseniewski's OD ratios back in December- about the time when i first was pointed to Dr. Harris's blog... I used the ratios i read about on the American OD website (didn't know it was an unauthorized wannabe!) to lower protein and up fat and bust through a 6 week stall. It was hard to stick to the 68gms of protein daily that i calculated i should eat, so i only stuck with it for about a week. It is interesting to hear that the actual Dr. K recommended only 50gms/day! Wow. The main thing i kept out of my OD ratio attempt was to stop eating all the protein i wanted! I started eating one egg+one egg yolk with my bacon (instead of egg whites), and lots more butter and upped my coconut oil... I have been losing consistently since. I'm sold!

I am still absorbing the broth thing. It sounds very beneficial but i am still working on my brain change to get to actually making some. I am coming off of 14 years of not eating beef and pork- so i have come a long way to actually cut into a steak on a plate! The bacon was a big jump into the low carb water too! lol! So i am still working on eating things like hot dogs and pate and bone marrow. I am just coming around to ground beef. It's a process? I did actually buy some calf liver and put it in the freezer. I guess i need to search for liver recipes because i really can't remember eating it (from years ago) any other way than breaded and fried and smothered in a carmelized onion gravy with rice...That's not an option!

The avocado soup sounds simple and delicious. Wish i had it a month ago when i bought three avocados on sale for 89cents each and put them in a bowl on my kitchen table (they were very pretty!) and proceeded to just let them go bad! I read a bunch of avocado recipes online and nothing sounded good enough for me to actually go in there and try them. The closest possibles were an avocado/egg yolk/tuna salad and the LC green goddess salad dressing. Too lazy/unmotivated to try the first, and because i really don't eat much veges- salad is a once every couple of weeks thing (maybe), i never got around to the dressing...It's all good though...I had the desire to increase my fat using avocado, now maybe this time i will actually eat some! lol!

Since I have been on this LC journey I started in late September:
*Lost 61 pounds
*Came out of the 30/32/4x clothes and into wearing 22/24/2xs
*Killed off a whole tribe of candida
*Pain in my knees is so improved that i stopped taking all prescription pain medicine AND Tylenol (which i used to eat like candy). It feels so good to be able to just walk around the grocery store without leaning on the cart!
*I have worn out 3 bathing suits (salt/chlorine damage) because i have consistently gone to water aerobics 3-4 times per week.
*Went to the cardiologist last week and got taken off of one of my HBP medicines! Now i am working to get off the other 3. The info on magnesium was very insightful. I am going to start taking more.

It is really wonderful to see other people eating along the same lines that i do and i just want to THANK YOU ALL for all the info you have passed along!
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
KT- You think I should try the bath today my Gram is here to help, might try laying clean soaked towels over them! I will remember about the hair, just what I need I look like a bush woman in the morning, LOL

I need your help, check my journal about the scar silicone sheets, he said I could try them, but just let them heal on their own, nothing on them, I bought these cause everyone raved. I consider you like half a doctor, LOL!!!!! I am so glad i have such smart peeps with reason on here!!!! I so wish you could come for broth today!!!!
Amber,

I'm not sure on the bath since your underarms have the incisions too - that's where I go to help lift my husband when I need to.

I put some epsom salt in very warm water and dissolved it into a gel to put on my husband's back, arms, and legs since he can't get in a tub right now. It makes a rough powder when it dries, though. I thought he would complain but he hasn't, so I don't think it dried out his skin or anything.

I haven't heard of silicone scar sheets so I don't know what to say. You have a good surgeon and he knows how to protect his work; it seems odd that he didn't seem to have an opinon. Maybe the jury is out on them.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Juliemb414!

Congratulations on the weight loss! I'm glad you're interested in the diet.

On the protein requirements, please keep in mind that Kwasniewki's "bag" is treating ill patients, and the 50 gram recommendation is intended to mean 50 grams of the highest-quality proteins which allows for the reduced amount, and his patients are probably not big exercisers. I don't think he is counting protein that comes from potatoes or other foods in the diet, he calls plant proteins "third world" proteins, as I recall.

Basically, the patients are instructed to make recipes (or eat these recipes in the hospital) so the ratios are set that way per the receipe instructions. I think this perhaps is where all the conflicting information comes from on protein requirements. Perhaps people are inferring the protein based on how much of the food you would eat for your size/activity level. I'm not certain on this, however.

I am not personally suggesting anyone eat 50 grams of protein (I'm certainly not qualified to give advice!); I'm just relaying the info. in the book.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
KT, Whole 30 is a paleo challenge...probably about the opposite of this but there's been great success in healing and, of course, weight loss.

I think it started in 2009 and has been updated a few times. It was refined 12/31/10 so the rules are very clear.

But just the word paleo makes it somewhat obvious; no dairy, grains, sugars.

It is a 30 day challenge so gives one the opportunity to evaluate reaction/relationship to foods and of course healing.

There's a thread but I think it's just called a paleo challenge.

I'll let you know......
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Juliemb414
Stats: 355/341/135 5'6", High: 380+?lbs. in 2008
WOE: Atkin's Induction/VLC
Start Date: March 14, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Hi Juliemb414!

Congratulations on the weight loss! I'm glad you're interested in the diet.

On the protein requirements, please keep in mind that Kwasniewki's "bag" is treating ill patients, and the 50 gram recommendation is intended to mean 50 grams of the highest-quality proteins which allows for the reduced amount, and his patients are probably not big exercisers. I don't think he is counting protein that comes from potatoes or other foods in the diet, he calls plant proteins "third world" proteins, as I recall.

Basically, the patients are instructed to make recipes (or eat these recipes in the hospital) so the ratios are set that way per the receipe instructions. I think this perhaps is where all the conflicting information comes from on protein requirements. Perhaps people are inferring the protein based on how much of the food you would eat for your size/activity level. I'm not certain on this, however.

I am not personally suggesting anyone eat 50 grams of protein (I'm certainly not qualified to give advice!); I'm just relaying the info. in the book.
Thanks for the info from the book. I think you are probably right about the 50gms of protein being intended to cure his ill patients... I am really only loosely following his ratios because I am nowhere near the 50-60gms of carbs. I am too chicken to up my carbs right now because i still have too much weight to lose. I will be listening out to hear how you and others do with it. I ate about 2 tbsp of homemade whipped potatoes a couple of weeks ago (i was over my sister's house and they were right out the pot) after reading your posts on adding back white potatoes. Well, i didn't die (!) and didn't have a BG spike or any cravings because of it- but that might be because they were full of butter and HWC... Anyway, I am going to stick with my high fat, very low carb, moderate protein WOE for now. It sounds like Dr. K's plan is really high fat, low to moderate carbs, with very low protein. Thanks to you guys i have gained an appreciaiton for the value of lowering my protein intake.
Juliemb414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #177

Julie- just want to say WOW, you are doing great and the improvements in your health are showing! As well as increased confidence as well I am sure!!!!! Keep up the great work you found what works for you!

Since I am healing from surgery, no more bat wings, I am eating low cal, high protein, but this diet appeals to me in taste and makes sense, once I am back to the gym and working out I am going to try to follow it more closely! I just adore KT funny and smart as a tack, she always has something worth reading! I really like seeing how everyone is so different with their needs yet all seem to focus on low carb! Basically everyone has found some success with LC eating in some form!

KT- I didn't do the bath I tried laying tepid water soaked epsom towels on them, then dried my arms then put these silicone sheets on, I swear they are helping! They are weird how they stick to your arm but not the incision and they don't hurt when you peel them off. they say to wear them as long as you can stand them, 24/7, you have to peel them off and wash them and wash your scar then reapply, so I will keep trying it, it feels better then the rubbing against my clothing. I pulled out all the softest cotton cardigans I have and it feels like fire sometimes.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #178
Chatty Cathy

My daughter used the silicone sheets to help heal after surgery and they definitely helped. She had identical surgery 6 months prior and didn't use the sheets and the difference was huge.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #179

Clackley- OMG thank you!!!!!! That is so good to hear!!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #180
Chatty Cathy

I wish we had known about it for her first surgery - she ended up with some heavy duty scars. Now, many years later, they are far less visible but she had to go through her teen years with these very visible, unattractive scars on her knee and never wore shorts no matter how hot it got..... The other knee was so much better within months. Btw, this was not orthoscoptic but long incisions over her knee caps and casts for 6 wks. and another 6 wks. of splints.