Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/231/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Wow, here is something in support of the Kwasniewski principals. Try to make it to the end of the article...if you don't get there, skip to the end on page 2.

BTW, I do take krill oil on the advice of Dr. Eades.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...bieland?page=2
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
OK, I've been guzzling 4oz of cream every day for the last 4 days. That's an extra 411 calories and 44 grams of fat. That is in addition to my normal 1600-1700 calories.

I'm trying to judge my energy levels and I think they are up slightly. I get an irrepessable urge to walk my dog twice a day and do household chores.

The funny thing is that I weighed 171 this A.M. and that's my lowest since my early high school years. (Kennedy was President)

I can't hit the 2.5-3.5 ratio of fat to protein, but I'm hitting 2-1 most days.

I may not ever hit the suggested level, but higher fat and lower protein seems to agree with me.

Last edited by CalRon; 04-03-2011 at 07:32 PM..
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CalRon,

That is excellent news!!! Incredible on the weight loss low!!!!

Cream seems to work very well for you, I am happy to hear that!

I have had no cheese or eggs today; I am working on determining if I can get rid of hives. I have had the anchovies (soaked to get rid of some of the sodium) as my "egg" substitute since they are the entire fish (going on the principal of not just eating muscle meat), and I used Kerrygold butter for the fat. I feel pretty good!

I won't be getting on the scale for a while! Wow, I don't want to know the damages from the restaurant eating. That was so much sodium and too much protein!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #94
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Ron- you weigh what I want to weigh wow that is working for ya!

KT- cant thank you enough for all your knowledge and helping me get through this surgery! You are a dear!!!

Amber
Bejewelme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joannamaria
WOE: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Start Date: Atkins 72 February 2010/Optimal Diet April 2011
I'm sick so haven't been eating right, I don't have the energy to cook for myself and my family eats SAD
I have been sabotaging myself lately because NOTHING works so I figure why even try. I know that's the wrong attitude. I'm so hoping Kwasniewski's "low protein high fat" works for me.

Cal,
that is great news!

Keytones,

Thanks for the article! I haven't read it yet, but I will.

I'm glad you had a good time.

Amber,
I've read your posts and you are very inspirational!
Joannamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another tidbit from Dr. Kurt Harris (his diet is very Kwasniewski-like). Note: I think his reply has something backwards in it--I think he means fat is cheaper than protein, not the other way.

Dr. Harris,

Do you ever worry about going overboard on protein? I know you certainly don't eat calories above your needs so you aren't concerned with extra protein raising your blood sugar or storing as fat, correct?
Do you think that excess (and what is excess??) protein is a problem even in lean individuals? (mTOR, blood sugar rise 4-5 hours after digestion, etc.)

KGH:

I am frankly still learning and deciding about some of these issues. Some seem to be sensitive to too much protein if trying to lose weight. I don't count weigh or measure but generally try to stick to one protein rich meal per day. The easiest arguments to favor fat over protein is that is unnecessary to eat that much and protein is cheaper than fat. The glucagon response to protein raises blood glucose but this is usually balanced by insulin secretion. I do believe AUC for insulin is minimized with lower protein levels even if AUC for serum blood glucose is not. If I drink pure cream my BG does not budge. If I eat 5 eggs with their whole protein load, it goes up about 10-15 mg/dl. My own experiments and reasoning have led me to think that Kwasniewski-like ratios are best.

November 15, 2009
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm posting Kurt Harris' "What I eat" post, in case he decides to take it down. I think it is really helpful, since the menus in the Kwasniewski book have so many foods that are not available in the U.S. Also, since the food in Europe isn't "Monsanto-ized," I think Harris has taken some logical steps here as to how to piece together a reasonable diet based on what we can get.

I have found a reasonably-priced source for grass-fed beef at PCC Natural Markets. I wouldn't sweat it if it isn't affordable where you are. It is so darn lean that I can barely cook it in a frying pan. I think eating a lean version of meat and adding grass-fed butter to the diet (like Kerrygold from Trader Joes) is another approach to this.

What I eat

Friday, November 13, 2009 at 12:52AM

All of you who are interested in more information on what I eat have been patient, so I thank you. I have some recipes and photos I'll put up later but here is a rough idea of our diet. (Me and the missus).

One reason I have so far avoided doing this is to emphasize that PaNu is about avoidance of the neolithic agents of disease that are outside our evolutionary experience, and not about meal plans, "blocks", counting, or measuring. It is not about exact macronutrient ratios and it's definitely not about supplementation or medicalizing your diet. Most folks who follow my plan locally have no idea exaclty what I eat and I have little knowledge of exactly what they eat.

That said, it may help provide some context for my ideas if you see how I implement them.

I don't count, weigh or measure and I only look up the contents of what I am eating for research purposes (curiosity or the blog).

I eat about 5 % of calories as carbohydrate right now. Partly that is because I seem to be somewhat starch intolerant and I see little point in adding things like potatoes and rice that I didn't eat much before. It is not because I am specifically following Kwasneiwski's optimal diet, it just works out that way. But many of my own premises lead the same direction as Kwasniewski, so that's just confirmation in my mind. I suspect anything from 0-30% carbs will work fine (for health) for most people. If you want to go beyond that to Kitavan levels with Yams or white rice, I doubt if that is as healthy, but that might be OK, too if you have extirpated the neolithic agents.

My staples are:

Grass fed beef and lamb, wild venison (whitetail deer), bison. I eat the hearts and livers, don't care for the kidneys. Codfish, wild salmon and trout from lake michigan, sashimi (maguro especially). Wild turkey (the bird not the liquor)

Eggs - pastured eggs averaging 4 a day - often garnished with green or red chili salsa and sour cream. Onions and mushrooms for accompaniment.

Whole cream - in coffee and straight up. Diesel #1.

Pastured butter - I use it to cook everything and add it to stews and chili. Diesel #2.

Bacon, smoked bacon and prosciutto ham maybe once a week. (Penn Jillette says bacon is the perfect food)

Occasional sardines in olive oil or water.

Cheeses - Gorgonzola, parmesan, cheddar, brie, etc.

Veggies mostly as condiments - Red, yellow and white onions, regular and portabella mushrooms, wild morels and chantarelles in season, asparagus, green beans, different varieties of chilis.

Our main fruit is tomatoes eaten whole or crushed in tomato sauce for stew or chili. Lots of avocado with breakfast. A handful of raspberries and occasionally blueberries topped with unsweetened whole whipped cream now and then. Add vanilla to the whipped cream.

The wife eats thin apple slices with cheese on them but I find apples too sweet.

"Nuts" - limited pecans, almonds and walnuts - not for health just for flavor.

Any day we eat factory meat or get a big dose of n-6 PUFAs in restaurant food (Mcdonald's burger without bun, barbecued store bought chicken, restaurant eggs fried in vegetable oil) we each take 1 teaspoon of Carlson's cod liver oil.

You know about the vitamin D - now 8000 units/day Carlson's drops in morning coffee.

Only when the pastured eggs are out (chickens are molting) we take one drop of vit K2 in the coffee. May not be necessary with all the hard cheeses we eat.

Pretty basic and most is prepared as carnivorous mexican food or kind of camp style. Haven't used the oven in 2 years.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Joannamaria - don't dispair; I hope this approach works for you. I think it is healthier. I am really concerned about the potential impact of eating too much protein, such as calcium excretion and thyroid issues (I'm not sure on this--I'm looking into it and will report back what I've learned). This approach is higher in calcium, especially with bone broth soups or marrow or eating anchovies/sardines with bones in. I have read so many times that dieters eating calcium lose 25% more weight (usually in the health news about yogurt eaters).

Also, I have read that children placed on ketogenic diets for epilepsy have more bone fractures. This is a real concern for me; I am making sure I get enough calcium with the soups and also taking a magnesium/calcium/D/zinc supplement.

The higher Omega3 will help you feel better too. In the US, our food is lower in this, so fish oil (I think krill oil is great), and sardines (like Kurt Harris eats) would be helpful for mood if you're down.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Amber/Bejewelme - you're welcome! I hope some of this is helpful to people. I love to share what I am learning.

I can't wait to get the pork rinds! According to Kwasniewski's theories, heh, eat skin to rebuild skin, so the pork rinds are just what the doctor orders for you! I can't believe how great you look already after surgery!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I suspect dairy issues (with cheese/casein) in me...I'm just posting this Kurt Harris Q&A in case someone else is interested. I have another blog to read, I see!

= = ==

If a person is particularly casein or lactose sensitive, what can be done in order to get most calories from fat, taking as an assumption that cream and butter have a least SOME casein or lactose? Is it basically an impossibility?

KGH:

Beef suet and tallow, coconut oil, lard would be my choices in that order. The ZC folks have no problem eating 80% of calories as fat just eating ground hamburger with plenty of fat in it. Check out Danny Roddy's blog carnivore health for tips on suet and tallow.

November 15, 2009
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/168.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRon View Post
OK, I've been guzzling 4oz of cream every day for the last 4 days. That's an extra 411 calories and 44 grams of fat. That is in addition to my normal 1600-1700 calories.

I'm trying to judge my energy levels and I think they are up slightly. I get an irrepessable urge to walk my dog twice a day and do household chores.

The funny thing is that I weighed 171 this A.M. and that's my lowest since my early high school years. (Kennedy was President)

I can't hit the 2.5-3.5 ratio of fat to protein, but I'm hitting 2-1 most days.

I may not ever hit the suggested level, but higher fat and lower protein seems to agree with me.
CalRon, I've been reading old posts from another low carb forum. It seems that people do gain more energy and need less sleep. It sounds like it works well for you. I still haven't started this woe. I'm not sure if I should start before my trip to Austria and Germany. I'm leaving on May 3rd and won't be back for 3 weeks. I don't want to rush the time away, but I'm looking forward to starting this.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
goose1, I encourage you to start before your trip! You have a whole month to try it out, and I think Germany and Austria would be great places to be on this WOE--lots of marvelous sausages, cheeses, etc to enjoy!

Also, I have found that in 2 weeks my cravings and hunger are greatly diminished. So that may help you resist temptation while traveling (& possibly eating out lot?).
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:30 AM   #102

KT- his diet looks pretty much like stuff I eat and I have been losing continuously! I gotta hit the pork rinds I was concerned about the sodium but am going to start gobbling them! I dont do fruit though at this point. I am scared of gaining on them, and I do eat some leafy greens for salads but lots of avocado and mushrooms. We have organic meats at our market and they are almost cheaper than the grocery store stuff I have trouble finding nitrate free bacon though sometimes
Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

PJenny, your right I should just start now. I know I won't be sticking 100% to plan in Europe. I love German beer so I'll be drinking 1 or 2 everyday. Breakfast is easy, they have such good cold meats and cheese. We usually don't eat lunch when we are away. Dinner I'll just avoid the high carb stuff. Good thing I don't like sweets anymore, last time we were in Austria I had no trouble avoiding the cakes.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Goose1- it is good to hear you affirm CalRon's experience! I am hoping for an energy boost and better sleep as well! So far, so good. It sounds like it might not be too difficult to work the plan on your trip.

PirateJenny - it is great to hear from you and that it is going well!

Amber/Bejewelme - It is cool that this is similar to the structure you have in place. My gosh, you've been incredibly successful! There isn't anything in fruit that isn't in vegetables anyway, as far as I can tell. I have berries or lemon for fruit, generally, and not much of it.

I was reviewing one of Fawn's facebook posts where she said something about digestive upsets and how the body has its priorities and must heal first before weight loss will take place. I followed the link to her website and oh my gosh, I could not believe it....her plan to heal digestive issues is also so much like Kwasniewki's. She recommends avocados and coconut oil, too, and avoiding the produce and eating only cooked vegetables and a lot of bone broth soups. My gosh, she is sharp. The dozen foods that don't bother me or cause hives are almost all on her healing foods list.

It hadn't occurred to me to use avocados; this is going to be super-easy now for me to get the fat in even though I am cutting way back on dairy. I had an avocado for lunch today and I felt great. I'll focus on just one protein-heavy meal as practiced by Dr. Kurt Harris. This should really get insulin releases down (only carbs and to a lesser extent protein cause it from a dietary standpoint). The higher fat and lower protein means less insulin releases which means....more energy to get up and move around!!!!

In case this double-posts, I took out links I put in the first time. I forgot to check for advertising before I put them in.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-05-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Key Tones! I love reading your posts!

The diet is not going well for me weight-loss-wise...but coincidentally enough, one of my internal pep-talk topics is, "it's more important for my body to heal; the weight loss should follow". I'm paraphrasing, but I read this somewhere a couple of years ago...after years & years of not eating the right diet, when you start eating more nutrient-rich foods, your body will prioritize--healing is more important than weight loss!!! I just wish I could see what (if anything) improvements are going on inside my body

I sure hope this WOE works; if it doesn't, it's going to be hard to go back to a lower fat diet! I sure am loving my sausages, pâté, homemade mayonnaise, lots of cream in my coffee, etc!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PirateJenny - I hope this works out as well. I think you will do just great! Perhaps it will take a while; I never thought about the healing aspect. I have read, more than once, that stress on the body (or mind) triggers cortisol reactions. Too much cortisol can be as bad for you as eating too many carbohydrates. Give it time, especially if you feel better!

Calorie-wise, it is curious. Some fats are satisfying; some not so much. Looking at one little jar of macadamia nuts for example, there are about 1200 calories in one tiny little package. I can't touch those things; I'll eat the whole jar and not feel satisfied (and even sick later). Nuts are not recommended anyway and this is a good thing!

An avocado, on the other hand, is high in fat, low in protein, but it is filling. Curious, it is high in fiber but does not bother my digestion--that is such a plus. One is something around 300 calories, depending on the size.

And who can gorge on a piece of fatty fish? I couldn't do it.

A little cream in coffee I have found to be filling, but, sigh, I need to avoid it. I have the coconut oil and I like buttered coffee. I can't put much in there before it seems gross; perhaps this is going to work in my favor.

I just found out Netrition has Ghirardelli 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate Bars. I am excited about this, maybe a little too much! I am going to melt those down, mix them with a little coconut oil, and add a little sweetener that does not upset my digestion (blend of stevia, erythritol, and Ez-Sweetz). What a cool way to add a little fat to the diet!

I also spotted Walden Farms Mayo Salad & Sandwich Spread. I know this makes no sense, but here is the thing--it is fat free, so I am going to try adding my own fat. It might just be avocado mashed with it and then mixed into tuna (hmm, green tuna, well, maybe I'll just mix the spread in tuna then fill an avocado instead). I refuse to eat vegetable oils because they aggravate insulin resistance issue and just aren't healthy. I wish I liked olive oil, I just don't. The more expensive it is, the less I like it!

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-05-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Hi Key Tones! I love reading your posts!

The diet is not going well for me weight-loss-wise...but coincidentally enough, one of my internal pep-talk topics is, "it's more important for my body to heal; the weight loss should follow". I'm paraphrasing, but I read this somewhere a couple of years ago...after years & years of not eating the right diet, when you start eating more nutrient-rich foods, your body will prioritize--healing is more important than weight loss!!! I just wish I could see what (if anything) improvements are going on inside my body

I sure hope this WOE works; if it doesn't, it's going to be hard to go back to a lower fat diet! I sure am loving my sausages, pâté, homemade mayonnaise, lots of cream in my coffee, etc!
Jenny, I was rereading my Optimal Nutrition book this afternoon. Here is what Dr K. has to say,

' Your body has been accustomed to the way you have eaten for a long, long time and switching over to another eating pattern is going to come as a certain shock to it. Your organisms is going to have to rebuild its whole metabolism in the initial phase of the diet. In this phase it will eliminate and expel the "machinery and divices" that it has used until now to break down carbohydrates and replace them, almost from scratch,with ones that will work well for a different metabolism. This replacement is going to require a lot of energy and a certain amount of time, so it is best to try to avoid other things that demand energy like stress, cold, sudden exertions, climate changes, etc. during the first period of the diet.

How long will that period last? It depends on a person's age, health and living conditions. It takes young people from two to three weeks, since all the mechanisms in a young body operate faster and better. It may take around three months for older people, and almost half a year, or even longer for elderly or overweight and sick people.'

Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #108

KT- Avocados rock dont know why but when I eat them I feel good my problem here is finding good ripe ones, I love them when I did that fat fast I was eating them and you are not hungry!

I cant do the coconut oil in my beloved coffee but I stir fry meat with it!

I am going to have some broth and maybe get to the market to get some marrow and bones this weekend!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

that's an interesting idea, adding fat to the fat-free Walden Farms mayo...but i've tried a couple of their products, and found the mouthfeel and taste to be absolutely horrid! i don't totally avoid "Frankenfoods" but to me, WF is slimy and BLEH!!!

i've just discovered that making mayonnaise is SO easy! it really only has 3 or 4 ingredients...i suggest trying to make your own!

you can make it with any fat you like (except olive oil gets bitter--good thing you don't like it!), including coconut oil, butter, bacon fat. these will harden in the fridge, though...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joannamaria
WOE: Kwasniewski Optimal Diet
Start Date: Atkins 72 February 2010/Optimal Diet April 2011
So much great info! Thanks!
Joannamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Goose1 - thank you for posting quotes from the book! That is a good one! Yes, we definitely need to give the diet time to work. I think Kwasniewski is so wise.

Amber/Bejewelme - take it easy this weekend! I want to go to the farmer's market this weekend and look around to see what all locavore excitement is all about.

PirateJenny - heh, I have purchased fat free Kraft before and I threw it out! I may do the same thing again, but I didn't try it on avocado last time. I did find some paleo mayonaise recipes. I just need a little more motivation, maybe no alternative!

Joannamaria - how did you do today? Feeling any better? I started eating too much tonight and grabbed a big cup of decaf. Whew! Suddenly I was so satisfied and happy and warm! It is so cold outside in Seattle today!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've noticed something interesting with my increased fat intake:

My brain tells me I'm full, but it feels like there's more room in my stomach. Does that make ANY sense to anyone else on this WOE?!
It's like the opposite of my old appetite, when I would start to get hungry again even though my stomach still felt full!

You know how they say it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that you're full? I think my brain is now getting the message after about 5 minutes!

I've just noticed it a few times recently when I have some more food on my plate or on the stove, and I would normally finish it, but I just don't feel like eating any more. I don't fell sick or stuffed; I feel not hungry and not full at the same time! Whereas with the ol' high-carb/lots of cravings & snacking cycle, to feel full I needed a lot of bulk--not necessarily a lot of calories; I mean lots of veggies, salad, pasta, bread, etc; or trying to "trick" myself into feeling full with stupid rice cakes or sugar-free Jell-O. I made myself a "normal" salad a few days ago and started to feel sick halfway through!

I did read (somewhere that I can't now remember ) that this WOE does help the stomach & intestines become less distended since this type of food is less bulky & doesn't absorb water & expand the way fiber-rich foods do.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #113

PJ- I looked up the serrapetase it is not recommend after surgery due to blood clotting but an interesting read, TY

KT- Did I see on a post you are considering the gym? Good for you I went to all of them in my neighborhood and checked them all out, look for one that you will feel comfortable in, you know? Like Gold's here was too many beautiful people and too open, I settled on my gym cause it was the closest no reason to say I cant get there, and it had free personal training that was huge, I meet with her like every 2 weeks to mix up my routine and keep me going, Gold's charges $55 an hour, so for me that sold me! Plus it had a more private area where I started out and hid from everyone now I blow right down to the ab machines and don't care who sees me I was so self conscious at first, like I could only do 2 minutes on the elliptical and would be having a heart attack! LOL In only 3 months I can go an hour on the hill program, stick to it you gain stamina so quickly it is amazing! Exercise is the best thing you can do for the IR, my doctor was flabbergasted at my results and I know a large part of it is working out! She wanted to take me off the Metformin but I was scared I would stop losing so she lowered it and I am going back in Sept if I am at goal which I sure hope I am, she will stop it, she said Amber you can reverse this IR with all this exercise that drives me even more, I want to restore my damaged metabolism and body. Lets face it looking good is great, but the health benefits are the most important I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle and eating going forward. You can do it hun, you are one smart girlie!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #114
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just had to chime in on the topic of avocados. They make wonderful, rich soup (good for cold days). In case anyone is interested, I will post the recipe here....

Avocado soup (single serving)

1 avocado
bouillon or broth (I like to use my own chicken stock)
chopped fresh garlic (1 small clove)
dash of hot sauce
1 tsp. cider vinegar

Using a blender (submersible is the simplest) puree all of the above ingredients. Heat to a simmer and add 1 tsp. bacon fat and a bit of chopped up ham.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #115

Gotta remember that, yummy!!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #116
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1 View Post
Jenny, I was rereading my Optimal Nutrition book this afternoon. Here is what Dr K. has to say,

' Your body has been accustomed to the way you have eaten for a long, long time and switching over to another eating pattern is going to come as a certain shock to it. Your organisms is going to have to rebuild its whole metabolism in the initial phase of the diet. In this phase it will eliminate and expel the "machinery and divices" that it has used until now to break down carbohydrates and replace them, almost from scratch,with ones that will work well for a different metabolism. This replacement is going to require a lot of energy and a certain amount of time, so it is best to try to avoid other things that demand energy like stress, cold, sudden exertions, climate changes, etc. during the first period of the diet.

How long will that period last? It depends on a person's age, health and living conditions. It takes young people from two to three weeks, since all the mechanisms in a young body operate faster and better. It may take around three months for older people, and almost half a year, or even longer for elderly or overweight and sick people.'

Hope this helps.
Thank you for this. I have been without weight loss for just over 6 months now and have been stubbornly adhering to my Atkins, 20 or so grams per day. Gary Taubes was asked about this (lack of weight loss despite adherence to low carb) and he said maybe it was a period of time that the body needs to 'adjust' (not the exact wording) and that many people just give up and if they had persevered, they may have continued to lose. This is my belief. It is good to hear it from Dr. K. Maybe Gary read Dr. K????

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Jenny, Dr K. mentions that feeling in the book. Optimal Dieters just stop eating, they aren't stuffed like they used to be, but the no longer want to eat. He also says that the stomach gets stretched from our old way of eating. It takes time for it to shrink back.

Keytones, your sort of close to me. I'm in Vancouver, BC. You guys in Seattle get almost the same weather as us. Aren't you sick of the rain this year?

Clackey, you should maybe try and cut the protein and up your carbs. It might help to break your stall.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

If anyone is interested here is a link to the Polish site.

dr Kwa¶niewski

There should be something to click on to translate to english. There are some recipes there and a forum. It doesn't always translate very well, but it is interesting.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1 View Post
If anyone is interested here is a link to the Polish site.

dr Kwa¶niewski

There should be something to click on to translate to english. There are some recipes there and a forum. It doesn't always translate very well, but it is interesting.
Cool! I can't see a way to view it in english, but I saw a box at the bottom of the webpage that obviously means a newsletter subscription. I entered my email address, received an email, clicked on the link, and it is activated!

My gmail account will translate from Polish to English, so I will probably post information I receive if it seems worthwhile.

Thank you!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I FINALLY took the advice of so many on the board and set up a ****** account. It is easy to go over the protein allotment! I ate 70 grams today. I'm not sure I can eat much less protein than that. Well, I suppose I can - I don't need to eat so much hamburger - I could cut it in half. We will see!

I had a little coconut oil on a square of 85% dark chocolate, that was good! So, I put the same in a cup of hot water and a little sweetener, that was pretty good, too! It was better than coconut oil in coffee anyway, LOL. Maybe I can kick my coffee habit when I receive that unsweetened 100% chocolate.

I mulled over some things I read about dairy. Atkins discussed cheese (and nuts) as problematic for some due to mold, and Fawn's recommendation for digestive issues to eat only fermented dairy, and my gosh, I realized sour cream has probiotics in it!!!! If this works for me, this is going to be really easy. I bought some tonight and had pork rinds and sour cream. The last time I tried this I ate too much, but now that I am seeking out fat, it is actually OK! Also, I didn't overdo it, so this could be an easy way to work in animal fat.

PirateJenny - I know just what you mean! I am feeling very satisfied.

Goose1 - yes, this weather is getting to me! The rain actually turned to snow while I was bringing in groceries tonight!!! I live at a high point at 500 feet, so it is even colder at my house and there is more drizzle in the morning. Ugh!

Clackley - I really believe that these long-term stalls can be overcome. I believe in time this lower protein level is going to cause my insulin level to drop and cause a new equalibrium at a lower weight (more energy and less hunger due to the drop in insulin levels). Here is hoping!!!!

Amber/Bejewelme - you make very good points about the gym! I think I won't go to the one near work, I don't think I want those people to see me! The one near my house is the younger crowd, I was thinking I should join it because it is cheaper--but come to think of it, I don't want to be around them. Maybe I will join a smaller gym I used to belong to - I could see an old friend of mine there. I know she still goes! I am sorely in need of more exercise to help my insulin resistance.

Last edited by Key Tones; 04-06-2011 at 08:18 PM..