Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #1141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Red Teapot. I am sorry for what you've been through.
I am a hospice RN and tell peop to eat whatever they want! I am not invested in trying to save anyone but if they ask, I'm ready to pass on info.

I believe that Aveline Kushi had cerv or uterine ca and I'm pretty sure it started as cervical, which indicate HPV. Her husband got around quite a bit and she had a few lovers....not too surprising.
Michio did smoke heavily.
One thing they proved; Macrobiotics is not protective.

Sattilaro did die and the macrobiotic community said what they always say; 'He was not practicing correctly' or 'he was no longer following the diet'.

I taught as MCNY and saw way too many peop doing everything 'correctly' and not w success.

So there's my macrobiotic rant!!

Even following ketogenic diet, I believe one should be aware....chemicals in lc foods like bacon, for instance.

Who knows, really, but I don't pay attention to all the studies because I have been there, watching....sadly.

I watched as my friend Helen (MCNY) go through breast ca w Michio. He would shake her breast and say, 'It's okay, it's not attatched'.
Unfortunately, she believed him. It was a sad passing.
He was so arrogant.

Last edited by jem51; 02-16-2012 at 09:51 AM..
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #1142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
RedTeapot, I'm sorry you were so ill. I hope you are doing very well now. Thanks very much for posting about macrobiotics.

Jem, thank you for posting more. You have named some things I had hunches about. I liked your macrobiotics "rant".

Shunsweets, I'm sorry your husband is ill. I'll keep him in my prayers. I wish you all the best with the ketogenic food plan.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #1143
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
RedTeapot, thank you very much for sharing your experiences and thoughts on the subject of cancer. It is truly valuable to know a first hand experience and opinion on unsolicited advice. I am so glad to have not offered up anything in that regard - just cards and gifts and I love you's so far and that is the way it will stay.

Jem, I loved your rant as well!

Shunsweets,
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #1144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeepot
Start Date: Sept.2014
Shunsweets, Your post touched me so much. Wouldn't it be wonderful to know of a perfect diet to fight the beast? And then, when one's loved one feels so bad, all we really want to do is mitigate the pain, make him feel better with whatever it takes whether it's ice cream or steak. I hope his cancer hasn't metastasized and that you two have many more years together.

I think you must also not feel any blame for the way he ate--really, you can't accept that blame. Cancer is too complex to know exactly what we could have and should have done. I believe diet plays a part in developing the cancer, but certainly not the only part. When I would berate myself for my illness ( I never ate sugar, I nursed all my children it seems for almost 15 years total, I ate organic when I could afford it, I did yoga, and so forth forever), my doctor said to me maybe all those things saved me from it being much worse. Maybe the same is true for your husband. I also completely agree about diet being a weapon in the arsenal (well-put!) and not a cure.

Your in-laws behavior seems so rude and ignorant, but don't even obsess about that. You know you're right, so it doesn't matter.
coffeepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #1145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shunsweets, I, too, hope you and your husband will have a long, long, happy life.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #1146
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Thanks everyone. We are treasuring each day together. None of us knows what the future may bring so all we really have is today and we plan to enjoy each day for many more years together. We'll get the next tests in April and will know better then what we face. Until then we'll do everything we can to reach for optimal health and keep our spirits strong.

So back to the topic at hand. As a meat and egg woman I frankly feel sorry for the macrobiotic crowd(and yes I did 2 years of vegan in my misspent youth lol). No tallow! No yummy egg yolks! No hwc or cheese! Oh my.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #1147
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, I'm sending you lots of good thoughts.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #1148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Shunsweets - I am thinking of you and your husband. I understand the worry; I know it is not easy.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #1149
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Keytones. How kind of you to reach out to me. I have gotten more support from the ladies on this thread than anyone in my "real" life and I really appreciate it.
I hope you are doing well.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #1150
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, This is a special group here, I agree. I wish you a lovely evening.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #1151
Major LCF Poster!

KT, just wanted to say "Good Morning!" and send you smiles.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #1152
Chatty Cathy

Me too! Thinking about you K.T..

I will share this little bit of personal news here with you all. I am now on day 6 of my quitting smoking. I am going cold turkey but did a bit of paring down for a couple of wks. It is long overdue and I can't tell you how happy I am. I guess I just needed to be in the right place to get it done. Or maybe having tackled the carb addiction has actually made it easier...

I have shared the news with my peeps in real life but you all feel like family to me in a way so there it is!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #1153
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, congratulations! I wish you continued victory. I, too, think that our steps are best when they come at the right time. Perhaps LC gives us the foundation for many new victories! You must feel super.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #1154
Major LCF Poster!

Great Cathy! So hard to quit smoking - good for you! Sending you strong wishes for health and success!

KT - I, too, am thinking of you and hope you are well and finding peace.

Hi AuntieEm, Jem51, red teapot, Jenny! Hope everyone is doing well with their lc lifestyles and health.

My challenge right now is to eliminate most nuts and seeds from my diet. They seem to cause some of my allergy symptoms. My goal is only almonds and no more than 1/4 cup a day of them. I also started the beta glucan this week. Hoping it will balance my immune system and get rid of hives, itchy throat, and congestion. I have also cut out nearly all my dairy - just using a bit of shredded cheese as a condiment but no more hwc. Not happy about that and hope to bring it back later. Still using butter and coconut oil as my primary fats. Checked my macronutrient ratios on fit day last week. Seem to be almost always 80%fat, 15%protein, 5%carbs. Working well for me for both weight maintenance and keeping bg levels fairly good. How's everyone else doing?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #1155
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Shunsweets. Thanks for your kind thoughts. When I stopped eating nuts and seeds, and nut/seed oils, I found I needed more fat. Was leaving out dairy due to casein and lactose, amines, ????

I increased my Vit. D, and take it with CLO and pastured butter. So far, no allergy symptoms due to pollen, but it is early in the season.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #1156
Major LCF Poster!

Hi AuntieEm - I cut the dairy out in case the casein was acting as an allergen for me. I have read that gluten and casein intolerances often go together and as I had great results giving up gluten (and all grains) in alleviating GI symptoms I thought I'd try a trial of eliminating dairy and see the results for my hives and congestion. I'll give it a month and happily bring back my hwc if I don't see a difference. Always experimenting to find what works best.
I do get Vit D 400mg in my multivit and take CLO daily. Hope they help too.

Thank you for your reply. I'll increase my fats if I'm hungry without the nuts and seeds.
Best wishes to you for a great Sunday!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #1157
Major LCF Poster!

Shunsweets, I wish you all the best with the elimination trial. I hope that solves the challenge. I hope your day is starting very nicely.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #1158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, Cathy, good for you.

I quit smoking when I was 28. Started when I was 13. My mom thought it was a passing phase, HA!

Somewhere in my early 20's I started quitting every Jan 1. Sometimes I'd make it almost the whole year.
Problem was that everyone I knew smoked, and we were young and very social....one little puff, then another, etc.

I finally left NY and drove to the west coast, leaving my cigarettes behind. That was it!
On the west coast, I really didn't know anyone who smoked.

Now I live in an area of heavy smoking. Most of our hospice pt's are COPD. Very scary.

So there's really not a time when it's too late. Good job!
Start some deep breathing exercises asap to get back some of that lung function.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #1159
Chatty Cathy

Thank you Jem! I started at the age of 14 and have quit too many times to count. The most recent was about 3 yrs ago and I went for 11 months and then for no apparent reason, started again. Crazy addiction.

I had not considered breathing exercises but great idea. I can say that I am enjoying the absence of the annoying cough that I couldn't kick since getting a cold in January. Day 7 and it is all but gone!

VERY important to me is that my best friend/brother is quitting with me. For this reason alone, I cannot go back.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #1160
Major LCF Poster!

KT, am sending you lots of good thoughts and smiles.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #1161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Auntie Em. I have difficult moments, but I'm functioning and getting through my day. I'm doing my best.

Cathy--good news on the smoking cessation. I'm happy to hear!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #1162
Major LCF Poster!

KT, it's nice to have you post.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #1163
Major LCF Poster!

This is from the google translator version of a page on the Optimal Diet/Optimal Nutrition at Dr. K's website:

In contrast, when a man begins Optimum Nutrition devastated condition of anemia, a deficiency of albumin in the blood, with muscle atrophy. In all diseases where the cause lies in the diet is mainly carbohydrate, ie products of plant origin (to clarify these matters is in my book, "Greasy life"), there is a shortage of quality protein, there are also sick of valuable energy. At the beginning of Optimal Nutrition, ie, by about 1 month in young people and about 3 months older, you should increase your protein intake to 100 or even 130 grams a day. Likewise, you may proceed in the case of people with a long time for progressive chronic rheumatism deficient large changes in weight and deformity of joints. In general, there is also a need to increase protein intake in diseases of tissues and organs in principle poorly fed, such as skin, blood vessels, bone, cartilage, undernourished for a long time. By adjusting the type of protein, ie its chemical composition, the chemical composition of proteins especially damaged organ tissue disease, can significantly hasten the resolution of lesions.

Could someone who has Dr. K's books, post it he recommends this high level of protein, in the beginning, for everyone, or only for those who need to recover from a serious condition?

Thanks.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #1164
Major LCF Poster!

Here is an article, translated with google translator, by Dr. K, on losing weight:

Google Translate

Here is most of the text:

I am 50 years old, so I entered menopause and stopped menstruating. Since the use of diet menstruation returned and are now Painless.
But I have one huge problem - I can not lose weight. With increased 163 cm weigh 74 kg. I can not cope with this weight. Perhaps some special tips will help you get rid of excess weight. Therefore, I address my problem directly to the Lord.
A.Ż.

Answer:
The test results are in good lady. Gave way to high blood pressure, which, according to the views of modern medicine, for life must take medication. The level of good cholesterol - HDL is very high and that's good. Evidence of rapid extraction of cholesterol from tissues or cleaning tissues, including arteries with cholesterol. Evidence of rapid regression of atherosclerosis.
Triglycerides should be below 100, and the 180th This is not harmful, but it is proof that the mistakes you make in your diet. Small, but still errors.

The body will always get the fat from the gastrointestinal tract rather than from the stocks held in the adipose tissue. To force the body to burn its own fat, you have additional methods. For optimal nutrition man does not feel hunger. You need to eat less calories.
Currents selectively release fatty acids from their fat tissue, but not all in a meaningful way. In some increased level of free fatty acids by 65%, while in others, only 2%.

You can force your body to burn fat in the following way: you need to eat two meals a day (without overeating), which should be the minimum amount of carbohydrates - the rest of 5-10 grams of carbohydrate, in any given product or products, or 30 - 40 g should eat by bedtime. It must be remembered longer eat protein or fat. Fats from the gastrointestinal tract are directed into the bloodstream, where they are rapidly taken up by cells. In this way, to supply the fuel and energy. When a man puts into his body a few hours after last meal, only carbohydrates, is to assimilate them, burn or convert to fats and cholesterol, or processed in another way, the body must invest a lot of energy. This energy must be downloaded from burning your own body fat. In this way diminishes the weight of 2-3 kg per month.

Another way is through one-day hunger strike. I recommend them only when needed, and mainly on Friday, before a free Saturday. Unlike all other models of short-term starvation diets are not harmful to the organism optimal nutrition, and nothing in it do not change. Do not force the rebuilding of the organism, as metabolism at optimal nutrition and short-term fasting is the same. The same amount of energy (almost) of protein, fat and carbohydrates your body gets the optimal nutrition , which in the short-term fasting, or fasting. If on Saturday morning, after fasting one day a man will not be hungry, it will mean that the body takes fat from stock and burned them. In this way diminishes the weight from 0.5 to 1 kg after each fasting. When on Saturday, the first meal eaten only if it is felt the desire to eat, the more you will lose weight, eat them later, the first meal, but you should not force to abstain from food, if you feel the hunger.
You should know that any longer post, or fasting - in effect always leads to emaciation and wasting of the body, and in extreme cases, especially in young women - even to the death by starvation.

Good is also a movement - the bike, running, swimming. This should be a movement on an empty stomach. During prolonged exercise the body must get energy from their own stocks, and counting the stocks occur mainly in the fat. If the effort does not occur when the desire for food, any food can wait until the desire to appear. This would also be thin, also the way this is a huge additional benefits for the body. Please note that at higher load body exercise, eat more collagen to pay the joints and ligaments were material to the renewal.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #1165
Major LCF Poster!

On the chance of someone being able to find a translator:

here is a series of talks on Optimal Nutrition, in Polish.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #1166
Major LCF Poster!

KT, just wanted to post to send you smiles and . Hope you are doing well.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #1167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Auntie Em,

Thank you for checking in on me. I am doing better.

I have attended some grief groups, and have found a few things that are helpful. One mother told the group that her younger child was a little frantic, worried he would forget his father. Her older child realized she needed to help the younger one remember. She put a journal in the living room, and whenever any of them remember something about their father, they write it down.

I happened to have found two blank journals recently, one among my husband's things at work, leather-bound, and another appeared at work from my boss, an unwanted gift from a vendor. I started writing in both today. The interesting thing is that it helps me keep my focus on my work. I simply write the memory, and go back to work without having an upsetting emotional response to the thought. Earlier in the week was problematic, probably because my daughter was working on her housing application to college (to live in a dorm - yes, she is going this fall, but not far).

I think it helps to preserve these little thoughts, these memories somewhere. It makes me feel like all these important and not-so-important things are not going to be forgotten.

I've also gotten back to the diet in a big way during the past three weeks. I had gained some weight as my husband's heath declined in the last few months. I've dropped what I gained. I've started wallking and hiking as well. I hiked up Tiger Mountain about a week and a half ago, which probably was too much for my first hike, but I made it to the summit, which was over 2500 feet elevation and a 3 mile walk up a trail.

My knees are still a little achy, but it was worth it. I've learned that I should use hiking poles coming downhill to save the knees!

I'm doing a ketogenic diet, egg-based of course. Kwasniewski all the way.

KT

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #1168
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
KT- I am so thinking of you and I am glad the journal is helpful what a great idea!!!! That is a great one for sure! Glad you are working on you now and getting yourself well! That beautiful daughter will need you more than ever!

Cathy- I quit smoking 1/17/12 OMG I struggle daily with it I started when I was 14 would quit for months and always end up back at it, I just refuse to give in this time, it is a daily mental battle with myself, but you can do it and you will feel so good, it is amazing how much better everything smells and tastes, of all things I am most proud of that!!!!!

I had an app on my phone that showed how many days how much money saved, well I lost my job 2 weeks ago so had to turn in the phone, I am so distraught I had to give back that phone with the smoking app! So now I am unemployed and looking for a job it sucks to be downsized!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #1169
Chatty Cathy

KT, so good to hear from you and that you are doing ok. My heart goes out to you. It is wonderful that you are working on your own health ans as Bejewelme says, your daughter needs you and you need to feel well!

Bejewelme, congrats on the quitting smoking! I have had my successes and failures as well but I now consider them all 'practice runs' and this is the real thing. I do have major cravings but nothing I want to act on. I feel really good about this and also quit with my brother so I have to be accountable to him and him to me. This is a strong motivator for me.

Sorry to hear about your loss of job and phone. I know how rough that can be. Stay strong - things will get better.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #1170
Major LCF Poster!

KT - so glad to hear you are doing better and caring for yourself.

Greetings to all and hope you are having a happy, healthy Spring.

I'm still solidly ketogenic and using eggs as my primary protein. Thank you Dr K and Dr Bernstein!