Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #1021
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CalRon
Stats: 240/173/182 6'2"
WOE: VLC
Start Date: 2/14/10
Yes, KT, I hope everything is going OK for you.

On a bright personal note, my H1C was 5.1 after my latest blood test. I'll find out the rest this afternoon, but the nurse told me it was a good report.

I'm a diet controlled dibetic, but 5.1 is my best reading. The two things I've done differently this last year is control my protein and take 1000 mg of Niacin daily. I don't mind the flush.

Ron
CalRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #1022
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, all.

KT, am sending you and your husband lots of good thoughts.

Ron, congratulations on that great A1c! You are such an inspiration! If you don't mind the question, what do you notice the niacin helps with?

Dr. Harris has another new post up. I hope he posts his revised how-to-lose-weight article soon.

Hope you all are having a very lovely day.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #1023
Senior LCF Member

Auntie,
This is my first test with niacin, but I've read that it increases HDL and reduces LDL. I'll report back after I see all the numbers.
Ron
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #1024
Senior LCF Member

OK. back from Doctor. He was thrilled.
15 mo ago, this week
LDL 245....137
HDL 62....147 (this is not a mistype)
Tris 147.... 68
A1c 5.6....5.1

I think the lower protein and niacin helped!
Ron
Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #1025
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Excellent Ron! How much niacin do you take? I need to lower my LDL according to my Dr but my HDL is pretty good.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #1026
Senior LCF Member

I take 1000 mg per day. One 500 mg tablet, morning and night. I buy the now brand from Netrition. You must buy the flush type. The no flush has no benefits. The flush is easily tolerable after a few days.
Ron
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #1027
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Calron. I think I'll try the niacin. So much better than a statin. Heck I'm very pale so maybe a little flush will be a good thing LOL.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #1028
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Thanks Ron. I know niacin is commonly used for elevated BP since it expands vascularity, hence the flush, but I have not heard the latest.

I will start taking it again since my labs could use a bit of improvement (old age, ya know).
The flush really doesn't last long.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #1029
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Oh my gosh! Ron, those are some seriously dramatic improvements! I'm really pleased to hear this!!! Congratulations!!!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #1030
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Ron- that is some super blood work!!!!

KT- glad to see you back!!! You were missed!!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #1031
Major LCF Poster!

Ron, congratulations! Thanks for the niacin info.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #1032
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Check it out - Kurt Harris' comments Jimmy Moore's safe starches poll:

Archevore - Archevore Blog - Jimmy Moore inquires about "safe*starches"

Jimmy Moore inquires about "safe starches"

Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:41AM

This morning I got an email from Jimmy Moore inquiring what I thought about Paul Jaminet’s ideas about safe starches as espoused on his blog and in his book The Pefect Health Diet. I am not sure if Jimmy has noted the updates I’ve made in the Archevore diet, or if he has seen where I have come down on the issue of the CIH ( the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis of obesity), as he would have to be scouring the nooks and crannies of blog comments all over the nutrition blogosphere ; )

I’ve not had time to write the magnum opus blog posts that the repuditation of the CIH really requires (and not much can be added to what Stephan has already written), so I thought this was a good opportunity to get the message outside of my own echo chamber by responding in detail to Jimmy’s inquiry. My response to him is pretty long, and I doubt if he will quote much of it, so I’ve reproduced the email response, with his inquiry broken into bits in italics and my responses afterward in roman.

Kurt, I've been getting a lot of questions this year from my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog readers about the concepts in Paul Jaminet's book "Perfect Health Diet." He advocates for eating white potatoes and white rice as part of a low-carb eating plan.

I also have come to see most starchy plant organs as perfectly legitimate fuel sources.

Low carb plans have helped people lose fat by reducing food reward from white flour and excess sugar and maybe linoleic acid. This is by accident as it happens that most of the "carbs" in our diet are coming in the form of manufactured and processed items that are simply not real food. Low carb does not work for most people via effects on blood sugar or insulin "locking away" fat. Insulin is necessary to store fat, but is not the main hormone regulating fat storage. That would be leptin.

My reading of the anthropology and ethnology literature, as well as my current understanding of biochemistry and metabolism, lead me to see the human metabolism as a multi-fuel stove, equally capable of burning either glucose or fatty acids at the cellular level depending on the organ, the task and the diet, and equally capable of depending on either animal fats or starches from plants as our dietary fuel source, depending on the biome (biological environment) we find ourselves born in or that we migrate to.

We are a highly adaptable species. It is not plausible that carbohydrates as a class of macronutrient are toxic.

Diabetics need to avoid high carbohydrate intake the same way those with gall bladder disease need to avoid fat, but carbohydrates do not cause obesity or diabetes and fat consumption does not cause gall bladder disease (in fact low fat diets may contribute to gallstone formation via stasis)

Here's a one-page explanation and illustration of Jaminet's program:Perfect Health Diet » The Diet

Several places in the book and on Jaminet's blog (Perfect Health Diet) he specifically warns against the danger of a very low-carb diet (defined as less than about 300-400 calories per day (~100 grams) from so-called "safe starches"--taro, plantains, yams, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice and berries) because less than this leads to the risks, including: 1) "insufficient production of mucus in the digestive tract" leading to dysbiosis

I have not looked into that claim enough to comment in detail, but it seems plausible.

2) vitamin deficiencies (he particularly mentions Vitamin C and glutathione

Yes I would agree with that. Whites and sweets are loaded with ascorbic acid.

on pages 253-254)In particular he emphasizes these calories need to come from "safe starches and berrries" and "don't count vegetables as as a carb source (because) they are a fiber (and therefore a fat) source" (page 45).

My list is white potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice and bananas. If more exotic fare like plantains and taro is available to you, that is fine, too. Except for white rice, these are all whole food starch sources with good mineral and micronutrient content that have been eaten in good health for thousands of years in many environments by genetically diverse populations. Many of these plants have spread far from their biomes of origin and serve as staples for populations who have adopted them with success over just the past few thousand years.

These starchy plant organs or vegetables are like night and day compared to most cereal grains, particularly wheat. One can eat more than half of calories from these safe starches without the risk of disease from phytates and mineral deficiencies one would have from relying on grains.

White rice is kind of a special case. It lacks the nutrients of root vegetables and starchy fruits like plantain and banana, but is good in reasonable quantities as it is a very benign grain that is easy to digest and gluten free.

I think consumption of quality animal products is the sine qua non of a healthy diet.

Once you have that, then eating starchy plants is more important for nutrition than eating colorful leafy greens - the veggies that are high fiber and low starch. (Some green leafy vegetables are good sources of folate and along with some fruits are sources of flavonoids that may benefit you via hormesis.)

I view most non-starchy fruit with indifference. In reasonable quantities it is fine but it won't save your life either. I like citrus now and then myself, especially grapefruit. But better to rely on starchy vegetables for carbohydrate intake than fruit.

Primitive populations practicing horticulture or hunting and gathering do not eat a lot of big green salads with lots of variety, but they do eat healthy starchy plant organs with monotony on top of their foraged animal foods.

Eating a very low carb (VLC) diet for a period of time can be a good fat loss maneuver, acting via the effects of ketosis on appetite suppression. I also like to see people limit themselves to two or three meals a day with absolutely no snacking, and it may give benefits via hormesis for longer periods of fasting (24 hours or more) once in a while.

But a long term VLC ketogenic diet is not a good idea. It does not mimic the ancestral diet in general, even if some populations have tolerated it when they had to. There is no need for most people to do it to lose fat, as food reward effects are more powerful. I would advocate long term ketosis in those with neurodegenerative brains diseases like Alzheimer dementia and Parkinson disease, and a 10 day water fast followed by long term ketogenic diet is worth trying if you have cancer.

But I would not recommend VLC ketosis as a long term way of life the way I would not recommend running a half marathon every day, or lifting weights to failure on a daily basis, or taking chemotherapy drugs when you don't have cancer. Ketosis probably stresses the body and works via hormesis. But the clean up and repair response cannot happen if there is no rest from it.

A recent post he wrote for cancer patients revealed his recommendion of obtaining 400 to 600 glucose calories a day, mainly from these safe starches. He says it is important to avoid a glucose deficiency, since glycosylated proteins are the means of intercellular coordination, and defects in glycosylation are characteristic of the cancer phenotype.

My arguments are based more on ethnography and anthropology than some of Paul's theorizing, but I arrive at pretty much the same place that he does. I personally eat around 30% carbohydrate now and have not gained an ounce from when I ate 10-15% (and I have eaten as high as 40% for over a year also with zero fat gain) If anything I think even wider ranges of carbohydrate intake are healthy.

One can probably eat well over 50% of calories from starchy plant organs as long as the animal foods you eat are of high quality and micronutrient content.

Grass fed ruminants, pastured butter and eggs and wild caught cold water fish are the kernel of a healthy diet, but the fuel source can be larger than the kernel on a caloric basis if the kernel is high quality and consistent.

He notes, "You don’t want to aggravate this with a self-induced glucose deficiency." I'd like to write a blog post about this topic of "safe starches" to help my readers understand fact from fiction and will quote from your response. THANK YOU! If you cannot assist me, then please let me know so I ask someone else to contribute.

I've given you plenty to quote from, Jimmy. Go for it!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #1033
Major LCF Poster!

KT, my favorite comment of Dr. Harris' is on Sept 30th: The therapy does not demonstrate the cause.

Peter has a new post at Hyperlipid:

Hyperlipid: Adipocyte insulin resistance

As usual, the comments are fascinating, too.

Best wishes to all for a splendid week-end.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #1034
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing? It has been a while....

I have begun to do a 'leptin reset' program which came up on the main board. I am on day 4 and feeling fine with no real change in weight. I think it needs to be done for at least 2 wks. and maybe as long as 8. At this point, I have nothing to lose so long as I don't allow my carb intake to increase.... What are you all doing?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #1035
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
JUDDD

I tried the leptin reset for a few weeks and didn't see any weight loss.
Felt pretty good, though, and my appetite/snacking throughout the day was greatly reduced by that big breakfast!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #1036
Chatty Cathy

How is JUDDD going Jenny? I am on day 4 of 'reset' and it has been different. As a non breakfast eater, it has been a challenge to eat so soon after rising and getting in the amount of protein. I am planning on giving it 2 months if needed. That will take me to almost Christmas and maybe, just maybe I will be 'gifted' with a mega stall buster!!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #1037
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's...interesting!!!
Doing some things I don't like...eating non-fat foods, counting calories...
But also learning some new behaviors and thought patterns.
I haven't done a truly "Down Day" in this first week, but am definitely eating only 50% or so; I'm getting there!
In the next few days, I think I may have a breakthrough in the weight loss department.
I will let you know!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #1038
Chatty Cathy

I will be looking forward to hearing some good news!!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #1039
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all,

Cathy and Jenny - I love experiments. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Sorry I have been out of touch. I have some distractions, so my diet has not been front and center. My husband is under evaluation for a possible heart transplant. This is not anything that needs to be done soon, as far as I know. We are just freaked out by this being brought up. Apparently, there isn't much more they can do for him, and any medication changes they make just makes him more ill. They have to see about whether he can be placed on the transplant list.

He is undergoing a series of testing for a firm diagnosis (so far it looks like restrictive cardiomyopathy due to late effects of radiation treatments 30 years ago) and to make sure he has no excluding factors for heart transplant. We've been told his past radiation treatments could exclude him, so we are not sure if we should be hopeful yet.

I am hanging in there, and working long hours as usual.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #1040

KT- I was wondering where you were, I am so sorry to hear about your husband, Tony's ex father in law was one of the first heart transplant patients he lived almost 15 years which they said was really long considering it was so early in the process of trying it. I think he was at John Hopkins, I will have to ask him again. Praying things go well for him and you, you operate under a tremendous amount of stress, I don't know how you do it, you are my hero!!!!!!!

His was done in Stanford, CA

Last edited by Bejewelme; 10-20-2011 at 05:49 AM..
Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #1041
Chatty Cathy

KT, I too have been wondering how you are. I hope the transplant is a go and your hubby (and you) get some quality of life back. It has got to be incredibly stressful no matter what. Wish I knew you in real life and be of some kind of real help.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #1042
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Wow, KT, that is amazing news!! Will be waiting to see what the decision will be. I hope he is not excluded due to the radiation.....seems like the opposite would happen.

I've followed Ray Peat for a few months and actually had some positive changes. The main being the absence of cold sores.
It must have been the high lactic acid consumption since I've been adding back some foods that stimulate....like peanut butter and some CO w no problem. I've eaten cultured dairy maybe 5 times over the past 3 mo. Who'd think that one could eat too much yogurt, especially homemade.

Just this morning I was brave enough to add EVCO to my smoothie. I've been using organic, refined. CO always stimulaed outbreaks. Peat said it may be the coconut residue so I tried the organic, refined.

Anyway, I have continued w my morning egg nog but w the change in weather, I've been craving more LC food, like cauli mash.....and really just Atkins style food in general.
It tastes so good and feels nourishing.

Hope everyone is well.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #1043
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Ladies.

KT, and prayers for all to go smoothly.

Cathy, which leptin reset plan are you following?

Jenny, I'm glad you are doing so well.

Bejewelme, you look so beautiful in that white dress! I see you are almost exactly at your goal. Are you planning to go dancing or do something extra special?

Jem, congratulations on getting rid of the cold sores. It took me a while to find the things that triggered them. Oranges, nightshades, coffee, chocolate, any of those, even in small amounts; too much tea, not enough rest, or too much of any kind of stress: mental, physical or emotional, are the main ones I found. HWC yoghurt, cream, and cheese are my indulgences and I find that too much causes skins troubles, as well as weight gain.

I have been using local bee pollen rather than lemon juice for my pinch of CHO, and to help with allergy prevention.

Hope you all are doing well.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 10-21-2011 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 10-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #1044
Chatty Cathy

I am doing Jack Kruse leptin reset although not following it exactly in that I am using protein powder and sucralose.....
Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #1045
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone.

KT - prayers for your husband.

Jenny- watch your bgs closely with Judd - it really messed mine up and took and full month off Judd to get them back in line. Guess my pancreas didn't like the variation in
calories. maybe it will be good for you.

Jem51 - I'm doing much better with the refined, organic CO. No more allergic symptoms and tolerating it well.

Auntie Em - is bee pollen similar to honey? So glad you checked in here. I follow your other thread as well. Just rarely post anymore.

I'm doing well. Maintaining weight with no problems and keeping bgs in target range most of the time. Wish I could do without the metformin but attempts at weaning off have resulted in higher bgs so I guess I need it for now. Battling some eye problems so really need to keep bgs stable. Still eating Bernstein style, whole natural foods as much as possible, organic when I can afford it and totally grain free.

Wishing you all the best. Following along with you daily.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #1046
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, do you mind a few questions? This protocol interests me.

How are you doing with the 50g of PRO for breakfast? I can barely manage 25g.

Also, did you leave out high fat dairy such as hwc and cheese?

Do you drink any caffeine?

Any reason for sucralose rather than saccharine tablets?

I'd like to find a food plan, and meal timing, that makes life more comfortable, and easy to be lean and happy. I quite like my ultra low carb plan, but it is quite a challenge to stay slender.

I like my food plan, but I know the tea and high intake of hwc and cheese are not ideal.... Perhaps it is the best I can do, but, we do keep experimenting....

Thanks.

Hi, Shunsweets. Bees collect pollen and it gets mixed in with their honey. Here is some info on how it all happens, etc.:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in868

Last edited by Auntie Em; 10-21-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #1047

Auntie Em:
We had our trip to get married, it was so wonderful!!!!!! Here are a few pics!

198 was my docs goal I am going to keep trying like mad to get to 175, and then have my tummy and boobs done next Spring, hopefully the exercise will keep helping.

I entered the Atkins weight loss contest, I didnt win, probably cause I am not a size 2, but they contacted me and want to use my story and pictures and pay me $300 so I am stokked about that, it feels like I am never going to see a number that starts with a 1! So I keep plugging away!!!!!

Here are some pics

Valley of Fire where we were married

The reception at the Morrocan Restaurant was a huge hit

Old 10-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #1048
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bejewelme--congratulations and thank you for sharing your pics!
You look gorgeous and RADIANT!!!
Hubby looks so handsome and happy, too.

Thanks for the warning about JUDDD but so far my BGs have actually improved.
Last night before bed it was 81!!! (It's usually 95-100)
Also, I lost 1.6lbs this week.
A couple weeks ago I had gotten down to 285.8, which was the lowest I'd been since January, and this morning I weighed 284.2. It's really exciting to be under 285...I hadn't been able to break that number for SO long!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 10-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #1049
Chatty Cathy

Hi Auntie Em! I am taking the basics from Jack Kruse's leptin reset and trying to make it work. So I get about 60g protein in my breakfast in the form of a protein powder blended with an egg, 2 tbsp. hwc, water, ice and a couple of drops of liquid splenda. I use spenda because it is 0 carb and tastes good to me.

One morning this week, I had 1 can of tuna with a bit of mayo mixed in and 1 oopsie and 1 oz. cheddar cheese (get the protein up over 50g). It was really hard for me to eat as I am not hungry at all when I first rise.

I do need my coffee and at first mixed (a strong short) it into the blender with everything else. Now I am drinking espresso as a side and that allows me to feel like I am having 'my coffee'.

The only other challenge is that there is to be no snacking - at all. I have to be mindful of this.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #1050
Major LCF Poster!

Bejewelme, your photos are so lovely. I wish you and your DH all the best.

Jenny, congratulations on your success!

Cathy, thanks for posting the plan report. I appreciate your taking the time to give details. The leptin reset protocol has some features which I find very interesting. I'm fiddling around a bit.

This article in the NY Times caught my eye. (I'm not at my own computer and can't figure out how to post a link to the article.)

Shows Why It’s Hard to Keep Weight Off
By GINA KOLATA
Published: October 26, 2011

For years, studies of obesity have found that soon after fat people lost weight, their metabolism slowed and they experienced hormonal changes that increased their appetites. Scientists hypothesized that these biological changes could explain why most obese dieters quickly gained back much of what they had so painfully lost.

GETTY IMAGES
But now a group of Australian researchers have taken those investigations a step further to see if the changes persist over a longer time frame. They recruited healthy people who were either overweight or obese and put them on a highly restricted diet that led them to lose at least 10 percent of their body weight. They then kept them on a diet to maintain that weight loss. A year later, the researchers found that the participants’ metabolism and hormone levels had not returned to the levels before the study started.

The study, being published Thursday in The New England Journal of Medicine, is small and far from perfect, but confirms their convictions about why it is so hard to lose weight and keep it off, say obesity researchers who were not involved the study.

They cautioned that the study had only 50 subjects, and 16 of them quit or did not lose the required 10 percent of body weight. And while the hormones studied have a logical connection with weight gain, the researchers did not show that the hormones were causing the subjects to gain back their weight.

Nonetheless, said Dr. Rudolph Leibel, an obesity researcher at Columbia, while it is no surprise that hormone levels changed shortly after the participants lost weight, “what is impressive is that these changes don’t go away.”

Dr. Stephen Bloom, an obesity researcher at Hammersmith Hospital in London, said the study needed to be repeated under more rigorous conditions, but added, “It is showing something I believe in deeply — it is very hard to lose weight.” And the reason, he said, is that “your hormones work against you.”

In the study, Joseph Proietto and his colleagues at the University of Melbourne recruited people who weighed an average of 209 pounds. At the start of the study, his team measured the participants’ hormone levels and assessed their hunger and appetites after they ate a boiled egg, toast, margarine, orange juice and crackers for breakfast. The dieters then spent 10 weeks on a very low calorie regimen of 500 to 550 calories a day intended to makes them lose 10 percent of their body weight. In fact, their weight loss averaged 14 percent, or 29 pounds. As expected, their hormone levels changed in a way that increased their appetites, and indeed they were hungrier than when they started the study.

They were then given diets intended to maintain their weight loss. A year after the subjects had lost the weight, the researchers repeated their measurements. The subjects were gaining the weight back despite the maintenance diet — on average, gaining back half of what they had lost — and the hormone levels offered a possible explanation.

One hormone, leptin, which tells the brain how much body fat is present, fell by two-thirds immediately after the subjects lost weight. When leptin falls, appetite increases and metabolism slows. A year after the weight loss diet, leptin levels were still one-third lower than they were at the start of the study, and leptin levels increased as subjects regained their weight.

Other hormones that stimulate hunger, in particular ghrelin, whose levels increased, and peptide YY, whose levels decreased, were also changed a year later in a way that made the subjects’ appetites stronger than at the start of the study.

The results show, once again, Dr. Leibel said, that losing weight “is not a neutral event,” and that it is no accident that more than 90 percent of people who lose a lot of weight gain it back. “You are putting your body into a circumstance it will resist,” he said. “You are, in a sense, more metabolically normal when you are at a higher body weight.”

A solution might be to restore hormones to normal levels by giving drugs after dieters lose weight. But it is also possible, said Dr. Jules Hirsch of Rockefeller University, that researchers just do not know enough about obesity to prescribe solutions.

One thing is clear, he said: “A vast effort to persuade the public to change its habits just hasn’t prevented or cured obesity.”

“We need more knowledge,” Dr. Hirsch said. “Condemning the public for their uncontrollable hedonism and the food industry for its inequities just doesn’t seem to be turning the tide.”

Last edited by Auntie Em; 10-27-2011 at 10:25 AM..