Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #931
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Ha, I can guarantee that is not healthy for me, no matter how you cut it!!

Perhaps this guy just has some sort of antidote for poison!!!

Last edited by Key Tones; 07-30-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #932
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Just an FYI on blackstrap molasses--

A few days ago I happened to come across a home remedy that you can take it for TOM cramps.

I took a couple of spoonfuls today (not actual measuring spoons, just a big regular spoon) on an empty stomach. My BG was 105. I meant to check in 15 minutes but I was engrossed in a movie and forgot! However, I just checked again, and it's 115 an hour after taking it.

I think that's not too bad, for 10-20g of liquid sugar! Also, usually after I eat any off-plan carbs, my heart rate increases and I get very sleepy; I didn't have these symptoms.

So, FWIW, I feel like my BG didn't react very much to the molasses.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #933
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jenny - I'm glad it didn't give you an adverse reaction!

It is giving me a lot of energy - I woke up early again, around 7:20! I was up late reading, a little past midnight. I did not have coffee at bedtime, just a molasses drink. Today, I've been organizing cleaning house ever since, getting ready for company next weekend. The drink really ramps down my appetite. I had some in my morning coffee, and I had some in lemon water (delicious!!!) blended with ice and a teaspoon of coconut oil .

It's 3:15, and the only other food I have had is 2 hard-boiled eggs for breakfast. I am starting to get hungry finally. It has been like this for days - I dropped 2 pounds this week, even with TOM when it should be my highest monthly weight today. I have been taking in calories all day instead of 2-3 large meals, and my fasting blood sugar has dropped 7-8 points. I will keep an eye on this, of course, to be sure it isn't a fluke. I think it is probably the spreading the calories out preventing gluconeogensis (sp?) from large protein meals at work here for the blood sugar, not the BS molasses.

I don't know what is up with the sleep - I always need to sleep in on the weekend to recover from work. Maybe it is the chromium. It is supposed to be one of the best sources. Apparently, it is a good source of a lot of minerals, not just the ones on the label. I suppose I should be leary of the sugar, but I have dropped other carbs to be sure I don't OD on them.

I won't know if it is making my husband feel better. He just started an experimental drug for pulmonary hypertension anyway that is supposed to dialate blood vessels. He likes the BS molasses lemonade anyway! It can't hurt, I think it has to be helpful to him. I love the idea of giving him a mineral infusion.

I did get him and my daughter to take the liver pills!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #934
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
KT, thanks for the post on blackstrap molasses. Will try it on DH who has terrible acid reflux. I have probiotics and digestive enzymes for him, but he forgets to take them. With molasses being much tastier , I'm sure he will remember.... Thankfully, he has no insulin issues.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 07-31-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #935
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT, if you like cayenne, you could try adding that to the molasses lemonade for some extra cleansing and fat-burning (allegedly--lol).
That's actually how I "discovered" the drink--using the "Master Cleanse" recipe but substituting BSM for the maple syrup.

Might not be good for those with acid reflux, though!

Eliza Jazz, I have used bentonite clay for my acid reflux. A few years ago, I had it very badly--I was in pain ALL day, except for maybe about 10-20 minutes after eating, if I was lucky. I coughed all the time, too, and often woke up choking at night. If you are interested in how I take it, let me know. It's very soothing and works almost instantly!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #936
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
KT, I am doing great, as well. Peat style really fits for me. As you know he is heavy on milk and dairy has always been easily digestable for me....except cheese which can make me acidy.

My BG's have been good but I bought new strips yesterday and have had higher readings, which is a bummer (my last strips were not on the recall list).
But still, if the trend is downward, I'm happy.

I haven't eaten any yogurt in a week!! Not missing it but have a homemade quart in the fridge so may have some spoons this week.

My inflammation is decreasing and barely noticable (the overt, anyway).

Peat recommends smaller, more frequent meals which has helped w BG issues in the past.

Best; not hungry, no cravings.

Hope you are all well.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #937

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
KT, if you like cayenne, you could try adding that to the molasses lemonade for some extra cleansing and fat-burning (allegedly--lol).
That's actually how I "discovered" the drink--using the "Master Cleanse" recipe but substituting BSM for the maple syrup.

Might not be good for those with acid reflux, though!

Eliza Jazz, I have used bentonite clay for my acid reflux. A few years ago, I had it very badly--I was in pain ALL day, except for maybe about 10-20 minutes after eating, if I was lucky. I coughed all the time, too, and often woke up choking at night. If you are interested in how I take it, let me know. It's very soothing and works almost instantly!
Jenny, I bet that was no fun at all ....I am definitely interested in learning more how it is taken, if you could please share, it will be much appreciated . His reflux is pretty bad but trying to stay away from prescriptions. Popping Tums like candy. Something natural and beneficial will be much better.

I am wondering if with prolonged use, bentonite clay will heal the reflux.

P.S. Jenny, just read your Now bentonite powder review on Amazon

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 08-01-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #938
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
I am wondering if with prolonged use, bentonite clay will heal the reflux.

P.S. Jenny, just read your Now bentonite powder review on Amazon
Awesome...I was thinking of copying & pasting that to save time! But you found it already!

I do feel the clay has mostly healed my reflux. I rarely need it anymore, unless I do something foolish like have diet soda late at night or go off-plan and have white bread or pasta.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #939

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Awesome...I was thinking of copying & pasting that to save time! But you found it already!

I do feel the clay has mostly healed my reflux. I rarely need it anymore, unless I do something foolish like have diet soda late at night or go off-plan and have white bread or pasta.
Jenny, thanks so much! I ordered a tub already, should be here on Wed. Can't wait to make a facial mask out of it in addition to that gel you are talking about, seems to work very well on one's complexion, and in my 40s, I definitely need it
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #940
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jenny - Wow, bentonite clay - I haven't heard of it. I think my pores could use it!

Funny, I thought "Master Cleanse" lemonade, LOL. I don't know about the cayanne pepper there, but I do coat meat with BS molasses then sprinkle with cayanne. So good!

Jem - it is good to hear you are doing well!

I only take a couple of tablespoons of yogurt or keifer. Probiotics are supposed to help lower blood sugar, but I can't tell if it really does.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #941
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Ladies. It's nice to read of everyone doing well.

Lucas Tafur has a new post, discussing leptin:

Ketogenic Nutrition: The darkside of leptin

Anyone one here going to the Ancestral Health Symposium?

Here's the schedule of speakers:

Schedule

I'm hoping that there will be recordings on youtube and the usual blogs.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #942
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Auntie Em,

Thank you for your post. You always have good articles. I agree with the comnenter - there isn't much in the way of active blogging going on.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #943
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Auntie Em, you must be "H" on the blog - no? Interesting read and again, I wish I understood more of it but I like the challenge of understanding as much as I can. Thanks for the link!

OMG, the line up at the symposium looks amazing. What wouldn't I give to hear Gary Taubes speak on sugar and cancer - or Mark Sisson, or Denise Minger or Tom Naughton or any one of them! Where is it? Are you going? You must report back to us if you are!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #944
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, KT. Yes, the blogging world does look a tad slow these days.

Cathy, I'm thousands of miles from California, which is why I am hoping for a report and some audio files on the internet, of the speakers. Yes, I am "H" in the comments at Ketotic. Hope you are doing very well.

I hope Peter D. at Hyperlipid gets back to blogging soon. I so enjoy his insights.

Best wishes to all.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #945

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hi girls- just checking on you all, and KT to see how those molasses are going down!!!
Have a good weekend!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Hi, KT. Yes, the blogging world does look a tad slow these days.

Cathy, I'm thousands of miles from California, which is why I am hoping for a report and some audio files on the internet, of the speakers. Yes, I am "H" in the comments at Ketotic. Hope you are doing very well.

I hope Peter D. at Hyperlipid gets back to blogging soon. I so enjoy his insights.

Best wishes to all.
Auntie Em,
Misty Humphrey (Fawn) has been posting short updates on Facebook. 4 hrs ago she posted she was listening to Dr. Robert Lustig. Some previous speakers were Richard Feinman, prof. Loren Cordain, Dr. Boyd Eaton, Staffan Lindeberg and Robb Wolf.
She even has a picture of her and Gary Taubes....

aaaaah, I wish I was there. Maybe next year I could afford it.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #947
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I do not know what I am doing...but I suddenly have dropped about 5lbs in the past 2 weeks!!!

Maybe the Metformin is finally kicking in? I've been on it for over 2 months but just went up to 2000mg/day 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #948
Chatty Cathy

Jenny, what great news!!! Figure out what it is and share with us all!!!

When (I like to be positive) I start losing again, I am not going to know specifically what or why because I have shifted and changed so much at this point but my suspicion is going to be that it is 'healing' the body through diet and excellent nutrition.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #949
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jenny - Yay!!! I love hearing good news of weight loss!

Amber - the blackstrap molasses is doing well by me! I am feeling very well, my back and neck especially, thank you!

Love seeing you all here, as always!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #950

You girls are doing great now Clackley needs a big whoosh!!!!!I am trying Dukan again next week, it worked before, low fat is totally unappealing to me, but so is sticking to LC and not losing, and then I was doing the BFFM plan and still not losing, so back to this, ughghghg!!!!! I just want to be under 200 already!!!!

BSM- I am glad it is helping you KT, gotta try what you can!!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #951
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Ladies.

Bejewelme, I agree, we must do what we must do.

Best wishes to all for living sleek, healthy and happy.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #952

Jenny- that is awesome, I am still on a low dose of Metformin and I know she wants me to stop taking it, I know for a fact my IR is NOT cured, I still blow up like a beach ball with bad carbs, funny when I was eating 150 good carbs and working out I was fine, losing slowly and maintaining, one bad carb, man white flour, sugar, fat combo I totally blow up, just goes to show that stuff is the work of the devil, LOL I dont want to stop the Metformin, cause frankly I am an eater and I go so long being good, and then something grabs me, LOL I dont think you ever get over IR no matter how much you lose or exercise,I think I am exercising quite a bit, and still its there! I am so sick of counting every single thing going into my trap but I have to accept this is what I need to do on going, so tiresome at times!!!!!

Last edited by Bejewelme; 08-10-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #953
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey Bejewelme, I think I posted about this a couple pages ago, but I've been looking into reversing IR with foods/supplements that make the cells more permeable (less resistant). For example, Omega-3s, MSM, and cinnamon are supposed to be helpful.

To me, this seems like one of the main reasons obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc are becoming so widespread--the bad Omega-6s in vegetable oil etc are messing up every single cell in our bodies! That and all the inflammation from sugar & white flour!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-10-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #954
Chatty Cathy

I also think insulin resistance can be corrected or at least improved. It has been a bit of a challenge for me to get rid of the vegetable oils and am still not 100% yet but am working on it. I think it is very key to good health.

I hadn't heard of msm and wonder if I should add this to my long list of supplements? I wonder if there is a good food source?

For those of you who listened to the podcaster Chris Kressor (The Healthy Skeptic). I got news that he will no longer be podcasting - I really enjoyed his show so am sad. If anyone has others that are good....please let me know?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #955
Major LCF Poster!

PirateJenny, I read enough at Archevore and Hyperlipid to get me off of anything with high Omega 6s. I cut out the almond butter this last January, due to phytates and the Omega 6. It took a little effort to adjust to no more mayo, but I don't miss it now. I've become fond of beef fat and pastured butter.

I have read a few places of keeping total intake of PUFA to 4%, or below, of total caloric intake. (Sorry, no great references, just posts at forums., or blog comments.) It seems the half life of PUFA in the body is two years. I am hoping that some very nice things occur around that two-year mark.

Am currently only using hwc as yoghurt, to reduce lactose intake. Seems to be helping. I eat cheese, which doesn't seem to bother me. Lactose was the last of the FODMAPs to leave out.

Best wishes to all.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #956

Jenny- I take all of them, I will say that there is for sure something deadly to me in white flour and sugar it is just crazy, like a white powdered donut, no go! I take all those already I choke down so many supplements, ughggh, I am hoping something gives, everyone said the exercise would help, I was hoping to get by with jogging a few times a week and strength training and not going at the intensity that I am, it is so very frustrating! A lady on another low carb board, was very into reading, podcasts etc, reminds me of KT, she quit posting, 3 months later she gained 60 pounds, she just quit trying everything, I was shocked, she was so devoted, it just goes to show how it can come on so quickly!!!!

I am anxious to talk to my gyn, she is very up on these issues and I am waiting for her to tell me there is a magic pill, but I fear there is not, it is just going to be a on-going problem,! Ughgh so frustrating!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #957
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bejewelme, I read about this "trick" for exercise...I don't know how well it really works, and I haven't been exercising regularly enough lately to test it, but I love the idea of it...

When you're exercising, "sprint" for 8-12 seconds and imagine that you're being chased by a tiger!

The theory behind this is that your body tries to protect you from stress but it can only do it in one of two ways: gotta get fat so we can stay warm/survive this famine, or gotta get thin so we can get away from that tiger.

It may be pure silliness but it probably can't hurt to try!

It was a long time ago, but I do think that I stayed thinner when I was doing competitive sports and martial arts sparring than when I just went for long walks, hikes, and bike rides. Maybe the other team was like an "enemy" and it felt like more of a survival situation than enjoying the outdoors for a couple of hours. Wanting to kick other people's butts (or heads...haha) also kept me much more interested in working out!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #958

Jenny- I do that interval training with my trainer like I get on the elliptical and go really fast on a high level for a short time, then I go do a weight lift, then back, they say that is suppose to burn more fat and help with IR, versus like 30 minutes of regular cardio. I cant run until Sunday-- I got my stitches out, but he said since its on my shin that has the tendency to open since there is not a lot of flesh over the bone, but Sunday when I run I will think of you and sprint, LOL There was a tiger attack here at one of the parks, with a safari last night, LOL Funny you mention that!!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #959
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Someone actually attacked--oh no!

I know "interval training" is very effective and popular but the difference with this other method is the imagining part.

The body can interpret exercise as stress (needed fat stores are being depleted)
...and chronic stress actually makes us store fat...fat=safety, thin=starvation & death...
so this guy's method is to "convince" the body/primitive mind (amygdala) that the reverse is true: thin=safety (run faster!), fat=death (tiger eats you!).

He even recommends that when you feel upset/stressed/angry over ANYTHING at work or home, if you can, take a quick walk around the room or go up & down a flight of stairs, do a few jumping jacks or push-ups, whatever...to use up those stress hormones, that can otherwise actually make you gain weight!

PS--you're going to think of me during intervals...does that mean you're going to imagine me chasing you?

Punching a speed bag or heavy bag could be an alternative for running (if you are still lifting weights or working out some other way)
--it's the "fight or flight" thing, so fighting is as good as running
I only sprint on my elliptical, not out on the road when I'm walking, cuz that's too hard on my knees.

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-12-2011 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: PS, punctuation
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #960

Yes I am going to imagine you chasing me, LOL It is funny I think so much of the LC girls on here thorughout my day, like OMG she would say this, or do that, LOL I get it about the stress thing, makes sense, I am putting an awful lot of pressure on myself trying so hard which probably isnt helping, and stuff at work, the wedding, its all coming down, I will be jumping like a maniac in my office, LOL

I told the girls when I go to the bathroom here, it is a private bathroom, so while I wash hands i do 10 lunges or squats, so since I drink 3-4 quarts of water you can imagine how many I get in a day!!! LOL